Overcharged For Being a Thai and Too White - a different racism story

TonyClifton

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At most private schools, the bussing is separate from the school; however; the bussing company wants to keep on the good side of the school administration. 

There is  plenty of competition between the international schools in Bangkok ( except ISB).I would tell the director of the school that you expect him to look into this situation & get it solved or you will take your child elsewhere at the end of the semester ( when you next tuition payment is due next).

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's xenophobia, not racism.

This understanding will also keep the thread shorter.

All I can hope for is another good-looking, non-asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school OR another 100% Thai or otherwise Asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school. If either of their parents gets charged 3000 baht, problem solved.

It's not xenophobia neither racism.   Thai have constructed a false idea that farang are rich (most are living in meegre pensions and teaching salaries) then they think charging more is  normal,. The rich Thais give big tips and are quite generous toward those who  give them services.  Maybe farangs who behave like rich should show their real financial status by being humble. Lol

I have very white looking children who are Thai and faced some discrimination. It is incredibly frustrating

and if you are like me you take your children facing discrimination far worse than if it was yourself.

I would complain to the school and say I was withdrawing him, unless they fix it, I know it seems drastic, but the reality is I would not want my children at a school where they think it is okay to discriminate.

4 hours ago, toenail said:

At most private schools, the bussing is separate from the school; however; the bussing company wants to keep on the good side of the school administration. 

There is  plenty of competition between the international schools in Bangkok ( except ISB).I would tell the director of the school that you expect him to look into this situation & get it solved or you will take your child elsewhere at the end of the semester ( when you next tuition payment is due next).

I have already found better schools at a better price.  This school and it's scumbags, will and can, all go to hell.

29 minutes ago, puffy said:

I have very white looking children who are Thai and faced some discrimination. It is incredibly frustrating

and if you are like me you take your children facing discrimination far worse than if it was yourself.

I would complain to the school and say I was withdrawing him, unless they fix it, I know it seems drastic, but the reality is I would not want my children at a school where they think it is okay to discriminate.

You are exactly correct.  What I have found, after talking with other parents, is that they too want to remove their children from this school, but they lack the resources to search for a better one.  Most of them are Filipinos with money who work here but lack the language skills.  My wife will fill that gap.  When we go, at least 6 children will follow.

Edited by TonyClifton

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

You are exactly correct.  What I have found, after talking with other parents, is that they too want to remove their children from this school, but they lack the resources to search for a better one.  Most of them are Filipinos with money who work here but lack the language skills.  My wife will fill that gap.  When we go, at least 6 children will follow.

Why, I thought it was all Asians against the one farang?

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why, I thought it was all Asians against the one farang?

Do you have a reading problem? It's obvious to anyone not TROLLING this thread, that the other parents don't like what is going on and they are unhappy with this school. Think.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Excellent point.

Now if next year the OP does get an increase or new kids get the old price and he the more expensive one, he has a point. Until that time, it is IMO just a baseless rant.

12 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

There's no fine print.  This is just an example of scumbags being the racists we all know they are.

I often wonder do Thais in Farang countries face racism. Not that I care but just wonder if this is a two way street.

The more I read the more confused I get. Is there a Consumer Association somewhere in Thailand where you get redress for this sort of problem?

What I would do if I were treated like that I would find another school quietly (if possible ) then change the school, ask a lot questions on payment in the new school. I always read the restaurant receipt just to make sure I had eaten what was printed on that little piece of paper. I even had a small magnifying glass with my keyholder(small round retractable type) in case i 4get my glasses I can still read  the goddam receipt. Christmas coming I will behave like Mr Scrooge for the festive.

6 minutes ago, madusa said:

Is there a Consumer Association somewhere in Thailand where you get redress for this sort of problem?

Next time you go to Immigration in Bangkok, go downstairs and you will find an office for the consumer protection agency of Thailand.

9 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Next time you go to Immigration in Bangkok, go downstairs and you will find an office for the consumer protection agency of Thailand.

I am not sure if you are pulling my leg. Is this true? And do they understand English to get the job done?

I once lied to a bus driver about direction going out of an area. I thought it was fun but Bangkok being so huge I was unlucky to meet him again the next day. He said , "you lie to me yesterday". He is probably a new driver. We conversed in Thai.

Edited by madusa
add more words

Just now, madusa said:

I am not sure if you are pulling my leg. Is this true? And do they understand English to get the job done?

I once lied to a bus driver about direction going out of an area. I thought it was fun but Bangkok being so huge I was unlucky to meet him again the next day. He said , "you lie to me yesterday". He is probably a new driver.

True.  It's at the bottom of the stairs/escalator near Immigration's entrance.  I never went in, but it is staffed.

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

True.  It's at the bottom of the stairs/escalator near Immigration's entrance.  I never went in, but it is staffed.

Well, what are you waiting for, Tony.  Get down there and give the whole story about the 1k baht.  

I reckon it will all be sorted out within half an hour and you'll be rebated instantly.  

Just now, Here It Is said:

Well, what are you waiting for, Tony.  Get down there and give the whole story about the 1k baht.  

I reckon it will all be sorted out within half an hour and you'll be rebated instantly.  

Did any of you go to school?  There are 8 months in a school year.  I have been overcharged 8000b, not 1000b.  If that is little money to you, then I'll give you my banking details and feel free to transfer some baht into my account.  

Totally understand your frustration and being a man of principal, however, the only advice I can provide you with is that Thailand and its people are all for themselves, suffice to say, it is rare that you will find someone in business who doesn't try to rip you, "the farang" off, remember, you are seen as Mr Rich and can afford it, I mean what is 1,000 baht a month to you right, "nothing" you and I both know it, but its the principal, none of us like being ripped off, so we have to be careful and make sure, well at least my wife does and gives anyone a serve who try's to rip us off, its automatic, she will rip any Thai to shreds verbally, in front of others, i.e. anyone who try's to rip us off, and no I do not hide behind my wife, her country, her culture, and she knows how to best handle it, like the air condition guy who turned up and started installing the air conditioner, with me arriving home and looking at the box and saying honey, the btu's are less than what we ordered, not only did he discount the unit to cost price, and not charge for the installation, he swore he didn't know, he ordered what we asked for, it must have been a mix up at the company.

I would be telling my wife to talk to the school telling them that you are displeased at what has occurred and are considering pulling your son out of the school, and if you do that, you will go to the media and tell them how the schools contractor/driver has dual prices for farang kids. I don't know about Bangkok, but here in Isaan, most drivers are the school teachers who drive the kids home for extra income, i.e. 700 baht per month per head, I would love for them to take our 4 kids to school, would save me the 50km return trip and two hours everyday, but we do not trust their driving, i.e. speeding and more kids in the minivans than can be accommodated, sardines in a speeding minivan, a reciepe for disaster, I hope not.

Having to pay 1,000 baht per month extra per month would do my farken head in, just on principal, so there is another option you can take, i.e. pay 2,000 baht per month, I don't know what arrangement you have when paying, but just pay 2,000 baht per month and if they say you need to pay another 1,000 say, not have today, just keep ducking and weaving and side stepping, they should get the message sooner or later and if they really press you, say, I not have, maybe I have to take my son to another school.

Good luck either way, and sometimes its better to let go, i.e. if you can, I can't...

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

go to the media and tell them how the schools contractor/driver has dual prices for farang kids.

It's not about being foreign, it is more about not being Asian.

Having to pay 1,000 baht per month extra per month would do my farken head in, just on principal, so there is another option you can take, i.e. pay 2,000 baht per month,

Eventually, they would strand my son at school, or put him in danger.

maybe I have to take my son to another school.

And that is going to be the end result.  I am contacting all the foreign parents, telling them what happened and asking them if they are happy with the school in general. I am fomenting a small insurrection.  I have now been motivated to look for a better school.  In the end, they will lose several students.  #&*$& the school.

14 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Did any of you go to school?  There are 8 months in a school year.  I have been overcharged 8000b, not 1000b.  If that is little money to you, then I'll give you my banking details and feel free to transfer some baht into my account.  

I didn't go to school.  Was brought up (rather dragged up) in the local workhouse.  Main meal of the day was gruel with lashings of erm, gruel.  Never did me no harm, though.

Have you visited the Thai Consumer Association yet?

Edited by Here It Is