Overcharged For Being a Thai and Too White - a different racism story

TonyClifton

1 minute ago, TonyClifton said:

It's not about being foreign, it is more about not being Asian.

Eventually, they would strand my son at school, or put him in danger.

And that is going to be the end result.  I am contacting all the foreign parents, telling them what happened and asking them if they are happy with the school in general. I am fomenting a small insurrection.  I have now been motivated to look for a better school.  In the end, they will lose several students.  #&*$& the school.

Don't expect any support from the other parents, they will probably look at you as a trouble maker, remember Asians accept what we westerners don't.

Seek out the other schools, and then deliver the option to the school, loss of face to lose a student, or solve the problem with the driver, surely the school will see through this and would have control over the driver, i.e. drop the price or we may cancel you next year, i.e. if they have the balls

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't expect any support from the other parents, they will probably look at you as a trouble maker, remember Asians accept what we westerners don't.

Seek out the other schools, and then deliver the option to the school, loss of face to lose a student, or solve the problem with the driver, surely the school will see through this and would have control over the driver, i.e. drop the price or we may cancel you next year, i.e. if they have the balls

Why did you assume the other parents are Asian?  They are not.  They come from Philippines, Italy, Spain, USA, GB, and all over the world.  

I'm not interested in solving the problem now.  I'm more interested in finding a better school for my son.  The other parents don't have a Thai wife, I do.  She can navigate the schools better than we can.  She can translate. 

The end result will be several children going to another school.

1 minute ago, TonyClifton said:

Why did you assume the other parents are Asian?  They are not.  They come from Philippines, Italy, Spain, USA, GB, and all over the world.  

I'm not interested in solving the problem now.  I'm more interested in finding a better school for my son.  The other parents don't have a Thai wife, I do.  She can navigate the schools better than we can.  She can translate. 

The end result will be several children going to another school.

Taking kids out of schools can be traumatic, i.e. they make friends and are settled where they are, as long as you have covered all basis and your kid is ok with what you are planning, then go for it, and if you get the support of the other parents, you've done bloody well.

Another option might be, if your kid only goes to 6th grade at that school and then has to go to another, you might want to bite the bullet, but your rage (rightfully so) might be bigger than you.

All things aside, I hope you find what makes yawl happy at the end.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Taking kids out of schools can be traumatic, i.e. they make friends and are settled where they are, as long as you have covered all basis and your kid is ok with what you are planning, then go for it, and if you get the support of the other parents, you've done bloody well.

Another option might be, if your kid only goes to 6th grade at that school and then has to go to another, you might want to bite the bullet, but your rage (rightfully so) might be bigger than you.

All things aside, I hope you find what makes yawl happy at the end.

I was already unhappy with several aspects of how the school functions.  My son's homeroom teacher has confided in me with his assessment of the school and it isn't kind. The school was already on my radar for termination.  I wasn't motivated enough to engage in actively looking, but this was the last straw.

20 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I was already unhappy with several aspects of how the school functions.  My son's homeroom teacher has confided in me with his assessment of the school and it isn't kind. The school was already on my radar for termination.  I wasn't motivated enough to engage in actively looking, but this was the last straw.

That clears up a lot, good luck with it all, a nice slap in the schools face and perhaps the drivers, but from what I know of Thai's, if you embarrass them, i.e. make them lose face, they will just hid under a rock until you go

SIMPLE

Quietly or maybe not so quietly tell the SOB headteacher you are paying 2000THB same as other kids and will deduct overpayment from school fees

That's what Mrs Poohy would do  only , well apart from scaring the headteacher to death!:neus:

21 minutes ago, poohy said:

SIMPLE

Quietly or maybe not so quietly tell the SOB headteacher you are paying 2000THB same as other kids and will deduct overpayment from school fees

That's what Mrs Poohy would do  only , well apart from scaring the headteacher to death!:neus:

I paid all school fees last week.

This is very unfortunate but this is Smiling Thailand at it's best you are a farang and look like a farang now you are a farang so you pay more regardless your money exchange permit you to pay more it same for all of us white guys.

50 minutes ago, mettech said:

This is very unfortunate but this is Smiling Thailand at it's best you are a farang and look like a farang now you are a farang so you pay more regardless your money exchange permit you to pay more it same for all of us white guys.

No it's not.  Total BS.

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Yes it is. Total apologist's BS.

Is it?  So you believe you're being horribly oppressed and discriminated against in Thailand.  You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.  But it takes a certain kind of moron to choose to live in a place where he's horribly oppressed and discriminated against.  Congrats for that.

13 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Is it?  So you believe you're being horribly oppressed and discriminated against in Thailand.  You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.  But it takes a certain kind of moron to choose to live in a place where he's horribly oppressed and discriminated against.  Congrats for that.

I live in a beautiful 3 rai garden with my wife.

I am not the least interested in the 500.000 km2 of Thailand outside our garden, not in it's culture, not in the majority of it's people.

I do not feel "horribly oppressed and discriminated" (your words) in our garden. I avoid leaving this paradise, and I allow only good people in.

PS. Feel free to call me a moron. Doing so makes it clear to everybody what kind of person you are.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

I live in a beautiful 3 rai garden with my wife.

I am not the least interested in the 500.000 km2 of Thailand outside our garden, not in it's culture, not in the majority of it's people.

I do not feel "horribly oppressed and discriminated" (your words) in our garden. I avoid leaving this paradise, and I allow only good people in.

PS. Feel free to call me a moron. Doing so makes it clear to everybody what kind of person you are.

Do you believe that you always pay more because of your skin color or not?

Just now, Berkshire said:

Do you believe that you always pay more because of your skin color or not?

Not always of course, but too many times yes.

Even my wife, a local, sometimes pays more, because she is married to a farang.

And it is not so much a matter of skin colour, it is the backward thinking that all farangs are rich, AND that taking advantage of people (including fellow Thais) is a sign of cleverness.

22 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

This is all about Asians screwing the White Man

Jeez, with this attitude, Tony, you, a White Man, choose to live in the heart of. Asia.

That's the problem. Ain't nothing to do with no bus driver or posh school. If you didn't get into this fight you'd have gotten into another. And you will get into many more trust me. Because Bangkok is full of them danged Asians.

I'm not being facetious. I know a couple of guys who radiate this "I White man know better than you Asian" vibe and the reaction it elicits from the natives ranges from amusement to anger to, well, screw you I am going to make you pay 1000b. more each month.

Tony, ma man, like I said before there are just too many danged Asian here in Bkk for you to win. I suggest you repatriate back to Farangland. The transformation in your health and temper will be immediate and miraculous. And schools are hekcuva lot better too.

What you could do back home to get back at Asians for the slights you've endured here is periodically visit ethnic restaurants and  yell at the staff for no good reason.

Jeez, with this attitude, Tony, you, a White Man, choose to live in the heart of. Asia.

That's the problem. Ain't nothing to do with no bus driver or posh school. If you didn't get into this fight you'd have gotten into another. And you will get into many more trust me. Because Bangkok is full of them danged Asians.

I'm not being facetious. I know a couple of guys who radiate this "I White man know better than you Asian" vibe and the reaction it elicits from the natives ranges from amusement to anger to, well, screw you I am going to make you pay 1000b. more each month.

Tony, ma man, like I said before there are just too many danged Asian here in Bkk for you to win. I suggest you repatriate back to Farangland. The transformation in your health and temper will be immediate and miraculous. And schools are hekcuva lot better too.

What you could do back home to get back at Asians for the slights you've endured here is periodically visit ethnic restaurants and  yell at the staff for no good reason.

Yawn

Sent from my USA make America Great Again Motorola mobile phone.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Not always of course, but too many times yes.

Even my wife, a local, sometimes pays more, because she is married to a farang.

And it is not so much a matter of skin colour, it is the backward thinking that all farangs are rich, AND that taking advantage of people (including fellow Thais) is a sign of cleverness.

Geez man, what sort of people are you hanging out with?  The vast majority of Thais that I associate with are nothing like that.  Instead of criticizing you, I should feel sorry for you.  And that I do.

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Geez man, what sort of people are you hanging out with?  The vast majority of Thais that I associate with are nothing like that.  Instead of criticizing you, I should feel sorry for you.  And that I do.

I however do not feel sorry for you.

Contrary to the vast majority of Thais, you got a decent education at a decent school, and yet you are not capable to think critically. You are a Thai apologist, but you are not different from a Thai basher.

11 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Did any of you go to school?  There are 8 months in a school year.  I have been overcharged 8000b, not 1000b.  If that is little money to you, then I'll give you my banking details and feel free to transfer some baht into my account.  

You are not being overcharged, you are being charged the new price.

Do you think that the school / busdriver would get away with that explanation in the Netherlands?

It's not clear what divide there is between the school and the bus service.

The school handbook says it is the school that provides the van service.

151118124900094e96e43d9601928ec241210e88921db0c36b6a91424cd46f984e6be9fdcd8fe22b06de54de93c96fac2da234cbea61f633d8860bd73d41a913911ff5347fbc1.jpg

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Do you think that the school / busdriver would get away with that explanation in the Netherlands?

He has raised his prices for new customers, nothing wrong with that. Now the OP has in his mind decided this is racist, in spite of a very believable explanation. It would be racist if Asians come in now and get the old price.

But so far, nothing racist here.

On 11/21/2017 at 5:47 AM, TonyClifton said:

This logic escapes me.  If I am overcharged, it is no different than someone taking food from my children's mouth.  My son is Thai, has a passport and id, but he speaks no Thai and looks like me.  He is an American white boy.

i think the sad part of all this,  is that a Thai child can not speak Thai

you are paying more but do not know the reason, you are jumping to a racist reason without having proof.

He has raised his prices for new customers, nothing wrong with that. Now the OP has in his mind decided this is racist, in spite of a very believable explanation. It would be racist if Asians come in now and get the old price.

But so far, nothing racist here.

No critical thinking either.

No xenophobic thinking you mean.

Wasn't your post deleted do do to the anti-semitic remarks that you made? My wife is Thai my son at half Thai, so exactly who are you accusing of being a xenophobe. This goes back to the question of critical thinking or whether any thinking is happening at all