CRF250L Stroker kit - Chaing mai mechanic offering all in 1 service?

DDBKK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very good mechanic on Suriyawong Road past Chiang Mai Gate Hotel. He is located on the right hand side of road as you go South, there is a motorbike abovethe door and usually 3 or 4 bikes lined up in the front for repairs. Worth a try to see if he will do engine mods. He rebuilds older bikes for special orders.

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Looking to buy a CRF250L so can you get semi-off-road tyres for it instead of the knobbly ones using the existing rims.?

The standard tires on CRF or KLX,s are dual sport , so i would term them 50/50 rather than knobblys , but you can get more road styled tires  , say 70/30 or 80/20 in the 21" / 18" front / rear sizes. A good solution , to give you two bikes in one , is another set of rims - 17" F&R - with some 100% grippy street tires.

10 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I agree re the 17" rims.  There are so many more tyre types to choose from at that size.

But then I'm a bit biased as I really like motard/super motard style bikes.

But are there any at 140 kg and 135,000 bht new with free insurance & helmet.

Dunno what kinda insurance you get yet and the helmet is Index. :biggrin:

On 11/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, Neilly said:

I'd like to buy a 300 before mine blows up...have searched long and hard but can't find any second hand 300's in Thailand...if you know of a place give me a shout please  :thumbsup:

To gain 36 cc wouldn't you need more than just 300 motor,  e.g. the ECU,  fuel controller,  gearing etc. 

Read many go with s/h CBR250 motors because CBR riders are write off merchants. :biggrin: 

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

To gain 36 cc wouldn't you need more than just 300 motor,  e.g. the ECU,  fuel controller,  gearing etc. 

Read many go with s/h CBR250 motors because CBR riders are write off merchants. :biggrin: 

I was actually referring to the CBR300 engine...and yes you do need the ECU from the donor bike. In the UK & US there are many on eBay, but here they are like hens teeth because nothing seems to get written off, and the resale price of a S/H CBR300 is still north of 90k.

The 'easiest' way for me to get to 300 would be to upgrade using the Bill Blue 305 kit and have my EJK re-flashed (EJK will do for free)...but I'm loath to go that route...would much prefer to have a 2nd engine

http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/Page_1.html

30 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I was actually referring to the CBR300 engine...and yes you do need the ECU from the donor bike. In the UK & US there are many on eBay, but here they are like hens teeth because nothing seems to get written off, and the resale price of a S/H CBR300 is still north of 90k.

The 'easiest' way for me to get to 300 would be to upgrade using the Bill Blue 305 kit and have my EJK re-flashed (EJK will do for free)...but I'm loath to go that route...would much prefer to have a 2nd engine

http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/Page_1.html

Yeah sure understand but personally l don't see myself bothered with power gains on a CRF.

Seen mangled messed up 300's at police station yards. :biggrin:

Things must be a lot different outside Khon Kaen, everyone I have met can't do it on top... meaning, they only know how to <deleted> up.

I wouldn't dream of letting anyone loose any engine of mine any more, well the internals anyway. That is what worries me about the current state of my CRF, if it does have to be stripped, it may be an ongoing saga of returns.

They had a Rally for sale at my local dealer (I missed it), he said they guy was selling to return to Europe, I found that to be a big Porky.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah sure understand but personally l don't see myself bothered with power gains on a CRF.

Mines well sorted (hence the reason for not messing around with my original motor) and I don't reeeeeeeally need any more power...but I'm addicted to tinkering :whistling:...in the UK & US it's cheaper to do the CBR300 swap than exhaust/EJK/air box mods etc...hardly any CBR300's on Samui so the chance of finding a wrecked one here is slim to naff all :sad:

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Seen mangled messed up 300's at police station yards. :biggrin:

Exactly the same for me,had this bike going on 5 years now,for me it is what it is ,I’m still well happy with mine ,still standard exhaust ,standard seat,been used and abused off road ,and done some pretty longish road trips on it,,,the best and simplest mod is simply changing rear sprocket,,,,,all I really want for mine is another set of standard wheels ,so can just change wheels instead of tyres.

35 minutes ago, taninthai said:

all I really want for mine is another set of standard wheels ,so can just change wheels instead of tyres.

There was a set on Baht/Sold a few months ago 7.5k...Ad has expired but not marked as sold

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/wheels-for-honda-crf250l-251688?co=Thailand-1&s=crf250l&ca=NULL&c=NULL&pr_from=NULL&pr_to=NULL

8 hours ago, Neilly said:

Mines well sorted (hence the reason for not messing around with my original motor) and I don't reeeeeeeally need any more power...but I'm addicted to tinkering :whistling:...

Same here. Bike is well sorted now but I just fancy some more grunt for the dirt to match the weight of the bike. 

I had the 305cc kit fitted and the reliability dropped right off. A friend had his done at the same time and we both experienced failures at almost exactly the same time. Could have been the mechanic fitting them incorrectly, but highly more likely that the kits are simply not suited to these engines. 

Wouldn't go near another big bore kit for these engines personally. 

I don't recall reading any failures with the stroker kits and I would trust any reputable place like dirtshop in BKK to fit it since it's not exactly a difficult thing to do. I'm just not willing to invest in the tools personally when it can be done for 5K baht. 

Still in two minds whether to mess with it any more or just keep it 250cc....

12 hours ago, DDBKK said:

I don't recall reading any failures with the stroker kits and I would trust any reputable place like dirtshop in BKK to fit it since it's not exactly a difficult thing to do. I'm just not willing to invest in the tools personally when it can be done for 5K baht. 

Still in two minds whether to mess with it any more or just keep it 250cc....

For reliability the stroker kit is the way to go because you're using genuine Honda parts and basically running a CBR300 top end and balance weights.

Out of the two 305 kits available the Takegawa one seems to have the higher fail rate over the B&B one. If I have to do some engine work for whatever reason I might go for the B&B 283 kit, that way I don't need to have the EJK re-flashed.

Where I ride I don't need any more top end...but a little more low end grunt would be nice...I'm already running 13/48 and this is just about perfect for me.

23 hours ago, AllanB said:

They had a Rally for sale at my local dealer (I missed it), he said they guy was selling to return to Europe, I found that to be a big Porky.

CRF Rally @ 179,000 looks like a faggot bike IMO,  the lesser one @ 165,000 ain't much better so I was glad to see the basic CRF they had just had a delivery of out back.

20 hours ago, taninthai said:

Exactly the same for me,had this bike going on 5 years now,for me it is what it is ,I’m still well happy with mine ,still standard exhaust ,standard seat,been used and abused off road ,and done some pretty longish road trips on it,,,the best and simplest mod is simply changing rear sprocket,,,,,all I really want for mine is another set of standard wheels ,so can just change wheels instead of tyres.

Ordered my new CRF, what teeth number in rear sprocket did you get I want to order a Moto-Play sprocket for road going use. 

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ordered my new CRF, what teeth number in rear sprocket did you get I want to order a Moto-Play sprocket for road going use. 

42 t for the rear ,did drop the front sprocket 1 down as well for off roading, but not to good if using on road a lot,actually put the original front sprocket back on for all my road riding.

44 minutes ago, taninthai said:

42 t for the rear ,did drop the front sprocket 1 down as well for off roading, but not to good if using on road a lot,actually put the original front sprocket back on for all my road riding.

Thanks so it comes with 44 t sprocket I guess.

My new Mia Noi. :biggrin:

24294210_10155975876775990_1861500351328759934_n.jpg.45364de4de481acd4e52a3fec9d16d0f.jpg24067892_10155975941490990_7576831170857189496_n.jpg.6c9f44292317cf4816d0147467df6e2c.jpg

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

24294210_10155975876775990_1861500351328759934_n.jpg.45364de4de481acd4e52a3fec9d16d0f.jpg24067892_10155975941490990_7576831170857189496_n.jpg.6c9f44292317cf4816d0147467df6e2c.jpg

Nope 39 or 40,,idea is put bigger sprocket on,,,,will check my original now..lol,,there you go 40 is original

9B59C26E-4680-4E9E-A5F1-45F3B98CD097.jpegSee NEILly is running 13/48,,,that must be just off reading don’t think you would be to much road riding with that combo,,,,,would be revving the arse of it and high fuel consumption from small fuel tank.

Edited by taninthai

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Congrats mate

Standard is 14/40 as Tanin says...but it won't pull top with that gearing (done for mpg figs)...so either one down on the front or a couple up on the back helps

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

See NEILly is running 13/48,,,that must be just off reading don’t think you would be to much road riding with that combo,,,,,would be revving the arse of it and high fuel consumption from small fuel tank.

Yeah mine only gets used on the road to get to the off-road

20170123_134326 (Medium).jpg

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

Congrats mate

Standard is 14/40 as Tanin says...but it won't pull top with that gearing (done for mpg figs)...so either one down on the front or a couple up on the back helps

Yeah mine only gets used on the road to get to the off-road

20170123_134326 (Medium).jpg

Thanks, by the way is that a Moto-play sprocket.

6 hours ago, DDBKK said:

I noticed bikerzbitz are now offering 13t and 45t rear for decent prices. That works nicely as a road/dirt combo imo.

Well I bought the bike mainly for a practical knockabout road bike, the weighty Versys was getting too much of a responsibility.

The only time off road will be the local woods paths which I do on my scoot so a road set up with overdrive top will be fine for me. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks, by the way is that a Moto-play sprocket.

No it's a Renthal Twin-Ring for a CRF250R with a conversion kit.

BTW...There were a few subtle changes from the 2016 to the 2017...different airbox, throttle body and header pipe to name a few...so maybe the 2017 will pull top gear?

You have to remember if you step rear sprocket up to much you will also have to change your chain,,,,42 t rear you can get away with original chain ,but maybe need to turn rubber guide around  that sits on bottom of swing arm or sprocket rubs on it