Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

16 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Pickup had NO TURN SIGNALS FLASHING!

I'd have to say you have  video viewing detection ability beyond human capability.

i.e.    You're seeing things that aren't there.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Who gives a flying fig what it says in the UK.  Does this country even have a Highway Code book.  Biker is in the wrong simply because he came off worst to a bigger vehicle.  If the bike happened to be a cement mixer or a bus then the pick-up driver would be in the wrong.  

The poster I was replying to seemed to care what it says in the UK.

And yes, Thailand does have an equivalent.

In the wrong in this case would be who pays the bill.

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Do you know what a multi lane road is?

yes it means that if there is a vehicle in the left hand lane then you cannot pass it on the left hand side.

It means a road with two or more lanes going in the same direction, like the one in this case.

And you merely asserting that your claim is true does not carry much weight, we can all read the law and it does not say what you claim, where did you get it from?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Who gives a flying fig what it says in the UK.  Does this country even have a Highway Code book.  Biker is in the wrong simply because he came off worst to a bigger vehicle.  If the bike happened to be a cement mixer or a bus then the pick-up driver would be in the wrong.  

Yes, Cranky Thailand does have a Land Traffic Act (Highway Code)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The poster I was replying to seemed to care what it says in the UK.

And yes, Thailand does have an equivalent.

In the wrong in this case would be who pays the bill.

There is an interesting video on YouTube  of a M/C driver who could not lodge a complaint after an accident.

This  bright fella tried to pass a concrete  truck on the left just as in this thread's video but he ended up  falling over and the two wheels of the double axel concrete   truck crushed his head.

That case was not contested by the M/C driver.

21 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Pickup had NO TURN SIGNALS FLASHING!

IT DOESN'T MATTER, HE DIDN'T TURN. I too think he would going to turn but he didn't complete the turn or even get to a point to turn, he could have avoided a pot hole, for all we know, how do we know. The motorbike driver overtook on the WRONG SIDE. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Not illegal in the UK for a motorcycle to undertake if the other vehicle is travelling at a slow speed, and the truck driver is not only at fault for not indicating but also for failing to make sure that it was safe to make the turn, you cannot just indicate and go, you also have to look, especially important when crossing another lane, as in this case, we don't have motorcycle lanes like in Thailand but we have cycle lanes which are basically the same and there are two notes in the Highway Code about turning left across those lanes as it expected that cars will be undertaken.

Gov.UK The Highway Code Rule 163:-

"only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so"

And "if the the other vehicle is travelling at a slow speed", IMO it should be on the extreme left, so that people can safely overtake on the proper side i.e. the right hand side.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It means a road with two or more lanes going in the same direction, like the one in this case.

And you merely asserting that your claim is true does not carry much weight, we can all read the law and it does not say what you claim, where did you get it from?

Section 45 (400-1000B)

No driver shall pass another vehicle from the left side unless

(a) the vehicle being overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal he is going to make a right turn.

(b) the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

You should really learn how to read Thai instead of trying to troll

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Thai law indicates that a driver needs to turn on their turn signal 60 metres before initiating the turn.

If the car driver had no signal he is at fault or he turned it on just as he was turning- he is at fault -100%

However, if the driver of the car turned on the turn signal within the 60 metre rule and the cycle decided he could pass  on the left anyway- the cycle is at fault 100%.

At this point- unless there are witnesses or a video which clearly shows  whether the vehicle had a turn signal visible so the cycle driver could reasonably see it- everything will be up to the mood of the police and how they want to settle it. If I was the car driver - I would turn the case over to the insurance company and let them settle it- that is why one carries insurance coverage/

... 60m turning signal? 

I saw a traffic law translation, which said 30m .

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Section 45 (400-1000B)

No driver shall pass another vehicle from the left side unless

(a) the vehicle being overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal he is going to make a right turn.

(b) the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

You should really learn how to read Thai instead of trying to troll

No, where did you get the bit that you have added to that, the bit about only if the vehicle is in the right hand lane?

19 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Do you know what a multi lane road is?

yes it means that if there is a vehicle in the left hand lane then you cannot pass it on the left hand side.

Doesn't  the white line which on many thai roads separates a one-meter space from the curb to the main lane, make the road a "multi-lane" road?   

Because it seems that the one-meter space is the motorcycle lane, and the space to the right of the line is the space reserved for cars.

This would actually be a TWO lane-road, and calling it "multi-lane"  would be absolutely justified.

Well in this case in the video, there is no extra lined motorcycle lane, so the road has only one lane, forbiding the motorcycle to undertake on the left.

However if there was a line, it would be absolutely legal for the motorbike to pass the car on the left side, because a car which wants to turn left, must drive across the motorcycle lane first to do so.

You claiming in two posts that  . . . . . . . .the white line separating the motorcycle lane from the main lane, being there for orientation in fog . . . . . . well I would have had a good laugh at this, wasn't it for the educational purpose of this thread. 

In Thailand, this line actually separates the motorcycle lane from the car lane

42 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Section 36 (500b) in the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, read that part of hand signs or light signs and you will see the un-hogwash. 

I wish I could produce a newer document, but I can't find the translated document I had when I lived in Thailand.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Did you read it yourself? Because it proves you wrong. Indicating (whether by hand signal or turn signal) is obligatory, not a recommendation. Admit you were wrong.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If  the driver  was not turning but avoiding a pothole and swerving- he is still at fault as he did not look in his mirror and notice there was a cycle approaching.

Wrong. Section 45 not allowed to overtake on left hand side unless the front vehicle is turning right or you are on a multi lane road

The bike should not have attempted to pass on the left hand side. If the truck was slowing down then the bike should have reduced speed and moved across behind the truck and passed the truck on the right hand side

1 minute ago, crazygreg44 said:

Doesn't  the white line which on many thai roads separates a one-meter space from the curb to the main lane, make the road a "multi-lane" road?   

Because it seems that the one-meter space is the motorcycle lane, and the space to the right of the line is the space reserved for cars.

This would actually be a TWO lane-road, and calling it "multi-lane"  would be absolutely justified.

Well in this case in the video, there is no extra lined motorcycle lane, so the road has only one lane, forbiding the motorcycle to undertake on the left.

However if there was a line, it would be absolutely legal for the motorbike to pass the car on the left side, because a car which wants to turn left, must drive across the motorcycle lane first to do so.

You claiming in two posts that  . . . . . . . .the white line separating the motorcycle lane from the main lane, being there for orientation in fog . . . . . . well I would have had a good laugh at this, wasn't it for the educational purpose of this thread. 

In Thailand, this line actually separates the motorcycle lane from the car lane

No, not all roads have a motorbike lane

19 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

IT DOESN'T MATTER, HE DIDN'T TURN. I too think he would going to turn but he didn't complete the turn or even get to a point to turn, he could have avoided a pot hole, for all we know, how do we know. The motorbike driver overtook on the WRONG SIDE. 

It is not legal to swerve into someone on your inside, you must always drive with full attention to other road users.  And passing on the inside is allowed on two lane roads in Thailand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If  the driver  was not turning but avoiding a pothole and swerving- he is still at fault as he did not look in his mirror and notice there was a cycle approaching.

Wrong. Section 45 not allowed to overtake on left hand side unless the front vehicle is turning right or you are on a multi lane road

The bike should not have attempted to pass on the left hand side. If the truck was slowing down then the bike should have reduced speed and moved across behind the truck and passed the truck on the right hand side

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnboxer said:

The Thai will always win, a few yrs ago a thai pedestrian ran across between traffic whilst on his phone knocked me and my girlfriend off my bike, thai was on floor still with phone in hand one eye open , saw it was Falange then started screaming, police and ambulance must have been waiting around the corner as they were there like a flash, police took my nil and would not give it back until I paid the thai, I was stupidly stuborn saying it was his fault, this went on for 6 weeks, cost of hiring a bike outweighed what I eventually paid him, when I questioned police they said it was my fault, as if I never came to Thailand the accident would not have happened, THE THAI WILL ALWAYS WIN

Did a court decide that it was your fault?

1 minute ago, Puccini said:

THE THAI WILL ALWAYS WIN

Let's all get together, wring our hands in unison and bow to the almighty Thai.  They always win.

Funny, but they try to learn English.  I don't see many America trying to learn Thai? I don't see it in most English speaking countries.  If they are so clever, then why haven't they taken over the world?

3 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Let's all get together, wring our hands in unison and bow to the almighty Thai.  They always win.

Funny, but they try to learn English.  I don't see many America trying to learn Thai? I don't see it in most English speaking countries.  If they are so clever, then why haven't they taken over the world?

Are you sure taking over the world is a clever idea?  Sounds like a stupid one to me.

Looks like a classic thai move of under taking.. i can not remember it in any western country road rule book, that allows undertaking. Bikes Fault. also Any one with a western road licence will know that Thai drivers never look right at a junctions, just pulling out to the left.. one of the most common faults on Thai roads.

Just now, Muayboy said:

Looks like a classic thai move of under taking.. i can not remember it in any western country road rule book, that allows undertaking. Bikes Fault. also Any one with a western road licence will know that Thai drivers never look right at a junctions, just pulling out to the left.. one of the most common faults on Thai roads.

Well, as I have made clear a couple of times already it is perfectly legal for a motorbike to undertake a slow moving vehicle in the UK rule book.  And undertaking whether legal or illegal does not negate the drivers resonsibility to make sure it isn't safe to turn before turning.

• Like 1

This happened last year ,3 youths undertaking a Thai senior who was turning into his drive way to house on the left , one died 2 seriously injured but survived , it was deemed Thai senior's fault ,he'd to foot all costs , i argued the point of under taking was total irresponsible but even the Thai seniors family agreed with the decision ,TIT

1 minute ago, billy54 said:

This happened last year ,3 youths undertaking a Thai senior who was turning into his drive way to house on the left , one died 2 seriously injured but survived , it was deemed Thai senior's fault ,he'd to foot all costs , i argued the point of under taking was total irresponsible but even the Thai seniors family agreed with the decision ,TIT

Yes, it is a poor decision to undertake a car on a motorbike, but then so is turning without looking, hard to see why you and others neglect this, as if you have the right to kill someone who is breaking a minor traffic law.