If you are stopped by traffic police @ Pattaya

thairookie

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

wasn't this one was it.........

Image result for michelin man on trucks in Thailand images

I.ve seen those busses and trucks before........... They all have an amazing amount of decor.... But they all have lawn mower engines (3.2 horsepower Briggs and Stratton ) under the bonnet to power them.............. LOL..............

I was sitting at a open-fronted restaurant around 7pm a few nights back, with the traffic streaming past.  These little sois can be amazingly busy.

What was really tempting fate was that not 1 in 10 motorcyclists had a helmet on.  Does the road surface suddenly become softer after sunset?

Or just possibly because there is never a policeman to be seen except in small groups collecting fines on sunny afternoons.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have been given a ticket at Jomtien and had to pay the fine in Pattaya Soi 9 police station....there were at least 50 others there queing up to pay also.

I was 108 in the queue.

It happened to me last year in Pattaya........ they kept my 'International Driving Licence and told me to go to the Soi 9 police station to pay the fine..... I went there but was number 251 in the queue and they were just working on number 160........ I talked to a 'farang assistant' who was there to assist and he told me that since I was leaving the next day to return to my home in the USA, I could just get a new International Driving License (for $15 USD = 500 Thai baht) when I got home and forget about that one they held........... Much more than a year now and I have a new IDL when i go back every other month..... I have a month in the USA and a month in Thailand routine, cars and homes both locations......... Now I keep an extra 'valid IDL' all the time............. LOL.................

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

It happened to me last year in Pattaya........ they kept my 'International Driving Licence and told me to go to the Soi 9 police station to pay the fine..... I went there but was number 251 in the queue and they were just working on number 160........ I talked to a 'farang assistant' who was there to assist and he told me that since I was leaving the next day to return to my home in the USA, I could just get a new International Driving License (for $15 USD = 500 Thai baht) when I got home and forget about that one they held........... Much more than a year now and I have a new IDL when i go back every other month..... I have a month in the USA and a month in Thailand routine, cars and homes both locations......... Now I keep an extra 'valid IDL' all the time............. LOL.................

You could aways try to not brake the law,  that works very well to :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Paying on the spot is obviously a bribe.

The usual process is he keeps your driving licence and you go off with the ticket to the police station and pay the fine. A pain as there is nowhere to park!

Not always as quite often there will be a table set up, in the shade, where you pay a fine and a proper receipt is given. Been there and done that. No table then probably will be tea money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

You could aways try to not brake the law,  that works very well to :jap:

Do you personally live your own life so 'Purely' that you can make this reccommendation to me????????????

Do you always try to 'not to break the law' ??????? Then why are you in Thailand instead of your own country........... Never mind , I'm sure you have some excuse you think is sufficient.........

It was a simple matter of a front licence plate having fallen off the pick-up without my knowledge............. an offense similar to the motor bike that didn't have the 'pilon rider footrests up'............. Hardly a safety hazard but a money maker all the same.............

Since you are living in Thailand, and not your home country, I can make an educated guess that you are not so 'Pure' as to be making a reply to 'me' about being as 'pure' as you are........ LOL........

• Sad 1

If police say they are fining me for a driving offence and I believe they are completely wrong in their decision, do I have the right to be heard in the Court ?

I imagine they may say "OK you wait in the cells for 40 days and then we will take you to the Court" I also think they would not be allowed to get away with that action.

Anyone experienced this situation ?

13 minutes ago, worrab said:

Not always as quite often there will be a table set up, in the shade, where you pay a fine and a proper receipt is given. Been there and done that. No table then probably will be tea money.

Just because you get a receipt means it's proper? Easy to write out a receipt. Just means the guys higher up get more of the take to put in their pockets.  LOL. They've got to recover the big money they paid for their positions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cracker1 said:

If police say they are fining me for a driving offence and I believe they are completely wrong in their decision, do I have the right to be heard in the Court ?

I imagine they may say "OK you wait in the cells for 40 days and then we will take you to the Court" I also think they would not be allowed to get away with that action.

Anyone experienced this situation ?

No experience with that but I'd love to test it.............

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Do you personally live your own life so 'Purely' that you can make this reccommendation to me????????????

Do you always try to 'not to break the law' ??????? Then why are you in Thailand instead of your own country........... Never mind , I'm sure you have some excuse you think is sufficient.........

It was a simple matter of a front licence plate having fallen off the pick-up without my knowledge............. an offense similar to the motor bike that didn't have the 'pilon rider footrests up'............. Hardly a safety hazard but a money maker all the same.............

Since you are living in Thailand, and not your home country, I can make an educated guess that you are not so 'Pure' as to be making a reply to 'me' about being as 'pure' as you are........ LOL........

HA HA,

Lets get this straight, you broke the law  ( same law as in home country, i bet )

you went to pay the fine, but did a runner instead,  that's twice you broke the law.

and now you got two international  driving permits, so you can do it all again if needed.

And you want to pass judgment on me.

i think your a bit simple

Have a nice day  :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

so how do you get the license back ? cop takes it to the station and you get it back when you pay the fine ? if that is the process, then you should Wait a bit for delivery of it to the station

You return to where you got done with the receipt and he gives it back to you.

It can happen if he has finished work or moved on  in which case he is supposed to take them to the station and you can get it there.

Oh yes, you can get the run-around!

1 hour ago, worrab said:

I haven't come across that,  the table. The tea money, yes. I actually thought they were being input into a computer these days.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Paying on the spot is obviously a bribe.

The usual process is he keeps your driving licence and you go off with the ticket to the police station and pay the fine. A pain as there is nowhere to park!

you have to go late in the evening.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I haven't come across that,  the table. The tea money, yes. I actually thought they were being input into a computer these days.

I have. They were catching motorcyclists using the "no motorcycles" overpass outside of Sriricha. I did it. It was certainly a violation. I got a ticket and paid at the table. Maybe the ticket detail was input into a computer; I didn't hang around to find out. Hence it wasn't tea money according to the usual TVF definition. And I've had the same experience at the Dolphin Roundabout after making a U-turn in front of a new "no U-turn" sign I'd not seen before. Ticket. Table. Usual amount, B400.

If everything is tea money, then why should the mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus need to "discover" specific instances? Just to chant the chant?

Edited by JSixpack

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Did you know it was illegal ???? I certainly didn't, and as usual, nearly every bike I see has them down !!!!

I had no idea this was an issue either, 

nor why it would be an issue?

Now we have to hope we keep our foot pegs in good working order, 

for a family of daily riders can pop them up & down throughout the day, 

when taking hops around town.

I remember when the cops would stop me for driving during the day with my headlights on, 

considering that to be an issue.

Now that the headlights are always on when the motor is running, 

they've moved on the autos,

having this an issue,

yet on the newer vehicles that too,

has the headlights on when the vehicle is running,

though those are running lights,

best to make that clear, 

before some wise person tries to correct me on the technicality. 

Moral of the story, forget the real safety issues, 

like all the motorcycles driving without any mirrors, 

or the kiddie helmets made of plastic thinner than the cereal bowl the kids ate breakfast out of, 

or driving in the opposite direction of traffic,

nor all the drivers racing around that are under the legal age to drive (15). 

Chase people down on issues that no one would know about, 

nor consider any risk to anyone else on the road, 

after all if the pegs down has someway of causing anyone bodily damage, 

then the obvious solution would be not to be that close to a moving motorcycle, 

if that's even possible?

As the tail pipe sticks out just as far a the foot pegs.

SMH

Edited by ajarnmarc

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just because you get a receipt means it's proper? Easy to write out a receipt. Just means the guys higher up get more of the take to put in their pockets.  LOL. They've got to recover the big money they paid for their positions.

Why does everyone think they are all on the take when there are those who play straight by the rules. The receipt which was given to me in Hua Hin, by the roadside at a table with high ranking officers, is exactly the same as one I got in Chiang Mai from a Police Station.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, worrab said:

Why does everyone think they are all on the take when there are those who play straight by the rules. The receipt which was given to me in Hua Hin, by the roadside at a table with high ranking officers, is exactly the same as one I got in Chiang Mai from a Police Station.

There are definitely good cops in Thailand. Sadly, they are outnumbered by the corrupt ones.

Receipts mean nothing. Receipt books are easily available.

Probably more convenient just pay the fee,depends how close you are to copshop,my last fine 500 thb was corner Pattaya Nua and Sukhumvit Rd,cop said you can go soi 9 pay ticket then come back here collect license,or leave 500 thb sitting somewhere on bike for me collect,settled for later.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Receipts mean nothing. Receipt books are easily available.

Very shrewd. I haven't seen any police receipt books at Silpaban. Where exactly are they obtained, since you definitely know? And they give out receipts inside the police station. Which mean nothing. Come down to it, it's just all tea money that never goes into official gov't accts. Tea money, tea money, ad infinitum. So then are we done? I don't think it's on topic anyway. The OP didn't ask the purpose of any fines, just how much and where they're paid.

Or do tell what must constitute proof that if you've violated the law, the cop gives you a ticket, you pay the usual fine, then get a meaningless receipt as proof you've paid the fine--that the money wasn't tea money? Would you need to chip the bills and follow them via GPS to the station and then into a gov't bank account and then verify that the account is a general account and then get a list of withdrawals from the account and then verify that anyone withdrawing didn't . . . what? Would that do it for you? Or? Let's have THE standard so that everyone here can know definitely if ever they don't pay tea money. Should shorten these threads considerably.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I have. They were catching motorcyclists using the "no motorcycles" overpass outside of Sriricha. I did it. It was certainly a violation. I got a ticket and paid at the table. Maybe the ticket detail was input into a computer; I didn't hang around to find out. Hence it wasn't tea money according to the usual TVF definition. And I've had the same experience at the Dolphin Roundabout after making a U-turn in front of a new "no U-turn" sign I'd not seen before. Ticket. Table. Usual amount, B400.

If everything is tea money, then why should the mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus need to "discover" specific instances? Just to chant the chant?

A bit of a coincidence, that is exactly where I got a ticket and for the same reason.

But when it happened to me there was no desk set up and I went straight to the police station to pay up. When I came back with the receipt the police pulled me over again! I had to go to each policeman until I found the right one.  The table sounds efficient. Beware, peak season coming up, they usually get keen about then.

Edited by jacko45k

On 11/23/2017 at 8:12 AM, dotpoom said:

I have been given a ticket at Jomtien and had to pay the fine in Pattaya Soi 9 police station....there were at least 50 others there queing up to pay also.

Yes, this seems to be the new practice.  And you have to pay the fine before you can collect your bike.

22 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

22 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

HA HA,

Lets get this straight, you broke the law  ( same law as in home country, i bet )

you went to pay the fine, but did a runner instead,  that's twice you broke the law.

and now you got two international  driving permits, so you can do it all again if needed.

And you want to pass judgment on me.

i think your a bit simple

Have a nice day  :thumbsup:

You are a total waste of my time............. Have it your way.......... and I will have it my way.........

You were passing your 'Puritan' judgement on me.......... what goes around comes around...... MR. Stanley coin........

If I was in a country where I could 'respect and fear' the police, as you say, then I may be more prone to respecting the law, even on 'minor' infractions............ In the USA I would have been given a 'FIX-IT' ticket and made to replace the lost plate and go to let the police inspect it...... I wouldn't have been targeted for 'police Income' .... I am happy to beat the 'rats' at their own game......... It is a well known fact that the RTP are largely (but not Completely) a bunch of money grubbing 'rats'............ ask most TV posters and 'most' will agree.......... So If I can beat a Thai cop at his own game I feel a sense of 'accomplishment'.............. I don't believe you are 100% law abiding when facts are known and we won't go there............. But you live your life as YOU believe and I am quite content living my life as I believe..............

You Have a nice day also........ when ever you can............

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

You are a total waste of my time............. Have it your way.......... and I will have it my way.........

You were passing your 'Puritan' judgement on me.......... what goes around comes around...... MR. Stanley coin........

If I was in a country where I could 'respect and fear' the police, as you say, then I may be more prone to respecting the law, even on 'minor' infractions............ In the USA I would have been given a 'FIX-IT' ticket and made to replace the lost plate and go to let the police inspect it...... I wouldn't have been targeted for 'police Income' .... I am happy to beat the 'rats' at their own game......... It is a well known fact that the RTP are largely (but not Completely) a bunch of money grubbing 'rats'............ ask most TV posters and 'most' will agree.......... So If I can beat a Thai cop at his own game I feel a sense of 'accomplishment'.............. I don't believe you are 100% law abiding when facts are known and we won't go there............. But you live your life as YOU believe and I am quite content living my life as I believe..............

You Have a nice day also........ when ever you can............

You need to learn to read, the word was try. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i have been here a few years 20,  I Try and do stuff on the roads in

the correct way,  some times it just don't work.

even i get a ticket !!!!!!!!!!!!!  some times,   so what do  i do.

Take it on the chin. go down the cop shop,  stand in-line with all the rest.

( no doing a runner ) pay the fine ,  400 baht,  go back to the cop,  get me License 

and go about the rest of my day, with out any more thought of it.

Happy driving / Riding in Pattaya.

But there are those that, cant do that,   they come on Tv, crying and moaning

about what they just got done for,    and how in-just it was. ,

And the Bla Bla, and more Bla bla, #MeToo and so on.

what a joke. :coffee1:

• Sad 1

On 11/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, Dexlowe said:

And let's not forget the Michelin man. The poor bloody truck driver who was given a ticket for having one of those Michelin man dolls attached to his vehicle. 

See them all the time.................:smile::smile:

On 11/23/2017 at 7:12 AM, dotpoom said:

Just to save a lot of people the headache of hours wasted at the Soi 9 police station...

If you have an international licence, they will accept that as collateral and let you ride away to pay your ticket.

Don't go to the police station to pay your ticket then as it will likely be very busy and you may have to wait hours. By the time you have paid your fine (usually 400 baht) and get back to the officer who kept your licence, he could be gone and you will need to go back to the station again to retrieve it the next day, or whenever.

It's best to go to the station the next day at a quiet time such as late morning (they don't accept payments after midnight). I just go when it's convenient. Even weeks later is quite ok - they will have your licence there when you pay. Of course, if you get stopped again before you have retrieved your licence they will take your keys, so be careful to avoid police stops until you have your licence back. Alternatively, keep an expired licence on you and give them that the first time around. If they notice it is expired, just say: "sorry, wrong one", and pass them the unexpired one. They are really just looking for an International Drivers Permit which few tourists carry, so they probably won't notice an expired licence. 

If you own the bike, be sure to pay though, even if you gave them an expired licence. I found this out the hard way when I had to pay my yearly registration. It was on the computer that there was an unpaid fine. Not to worry - down to Soi 9 to pay and my expired licence was still waiting for me nearly a year later LOL. There might have been a small additional fee - but I can't remember.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Park your vehicle correctly approach wlth a smile and with open palms and ask exactly why you have been stopped. If you know you are legal (and not pissed) do not give in to bribes and tickets

Edited by Chivas

On 11/23/2017 at 8:44 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Agreed Pilotman, but one small flaw, it depends what Somchai plod defines as on offence. Customer of mine came in fuming a few weeks ago....Riding a bike...... helmet, check, sandals not flip flops, check ( though unwise ), license, check, insurance, check, visa, check........Oh Oh !!!! .......Riding with pillion footrest down......No,No,No !!!........all the while 50 metres away the school was throwing out.......you can guess what was happening there !!!!

flip flops not allowed?