Japanese store owner says dozens of cops extorted money and stole his property

webfact

Japanese store owner says dozens of cops extorted money and stole his property

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

An investigation is underway in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi after a Japanese second hand goods trader went to police to claim he was extorted by men in uniform.

The Region 1 police chief has admitted that those involved are state officials. Suwat Jaengyortsuk has ordered that those involved - both men and women - be suspended from duty immediately pending an investigation.

The officials are from the Consumer Protection Police Division (CCPD) and the Economic Crime suppression Division (ECD) of the Royal Thai Police. These officials usually conduct raids concerning pirated goods.

The Japanese businessman and his Thai staff said that the shop was visited several times from August to November.

In August 15,000 baht was handed over to a group of officials. This was repeated in October.

On Monday around half a dozen officials arrived without a warrant and started helping themselves to goods on the shelves such as robotics, bowls, bags and clothes. They claimed they had no labels and must be taken into evidence.

Thai staff were threatened with arrest.

When the Thai staff asked what they could do to avoid trouble they were taken into a vehicle and after 30,000 baht was handed over they were released. But the officials kept some of the merchandise.

Within hours another group of 6 men and women arrived and the process was repeated with a further 30,000 paid - this time they said they would be back every month for a 2,000 baht fee.

This was more than enough for "Yochi" to report the matter to the local police. He said that his operation was all legal and he didn't understand why officials of the state were acting in this way.

Chief Suwat seems to have understood exactly what was going on - and has ordered an immediate investigation.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-23

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The usual shakedown... had he at any time recorded the events, by now

those crooks will be in jail and not just suspended,, this is in many cases

the cost of doing business in this country....

At the head of the article (and in the accompanying article) seem to be what look remarkably like stills from recordings of the events that he is complaining about.

Edited by Enoon

I can see and hear comments made by foreigners living in Thailand for years being so childish.

C'mon, stop being borderline pisstakers and explain more properly for everyone else.

Thai law maybe thought of as laid back and easy to get along, but the reality is that in certain aspects, it is ridiculously high.

Most Thai people know this, and the government knows this, but for the most part, unless a miracle or catastrophic disaster occurs, the law will remain as it is.

A good example would be the Thai Fire Safety standard for buildings, it's based on the American version, only the Thai standards are 3 times more. So if you have a steel beam that is required to use a flame retardent material for it to withstand 700 degrees C for 30 minutes in the US, for some reason Thai law needed to up that by 90 minutes instead of 30. Which is unnecessary, costly, ugly and unreasonable. But since Thai law requires a Government official to examine each buildings construction procedure for a signature of approval, usually the standards are met at some point with a bribe to the official for his signature or name of approval. And who would care or need approval if the standards were so low? A penalty of 500 thb just wouldn't cut it. And that is the reason why the people in charge will not change these strict laws.

If you have a lot of money, these things aren't as much of a problem however, normal people can't get around such strict Thai Laws.

That is why people "Negotiate" with Authorities, namely the police as overdoing the standard of the US by 3 times doesn't necessarily bring 3 times much joy, but it does cost 3 times as more . That is why there are so many bribes in this country.

The Prime minister somehow doesn't seem to understand this, so he asks for all people to stop corruption and follow the law..... Which is certainly easier for him to say, but only a few people and a handful of businesses can survive.

So instead of just saying "Bad Cop, No Dougnut", explain the game, educate to the youngones what is really going-on and what needs to be fixed.

When Crime makes a Dream team, it's called Corruption. It is crime on a vast scale. And not only do they know the rules and where the line is drawn, they're much better players at the game than you.

I can see and hear comments made by foreigners living in Thailand for years being so childish.

C'mon, stop being borderline pisstakers and explain more properly for everyone else.

Thai law maybe thought of as laid back and easy to get along, but the reality is that in certain aspects, it is ridiculously high.

Most Thai people know this, and the government knows this, but for the most part, unless a miracle or catastrophic disaster occurs, the law will remain as it is.

A good example would be the Thai Fire Safety standard for buildings, it's based on the American version, only the Thai standards are 3 times more. So if you have a steel beam that is required to use a flame retardent material for it to withstand 700 degrees C for 30 minutes in the US, for some reason Thai law needed to up that by 90 minutes instead of 30. Which is unnecessary, costly, ugly and unreasonable. But since Thai law requires a Government official to examine each buildings construction procedure for a signature of approval, usually the standards are met at some point with a bribe to the official for his signature or name of approval. And who would care or need approval if the standards were so low? A penalty of 500 thb just wouldn't cut it. And that is the reason why the people in charge will not change these strict laws.

If you have a lot of money, these things aren't as much of a problem however, normal people can't get around such strict Thai Laws.

That is why people "Negotiate" with Authorities, namely the police as overdoing the standard of the US by 3 times doesn't necessarily bring 3 times much joy, but it does cost 3 times as more . That is why there are so many bribes in this country.

The Prime minister somehow doesn't seem to understand this, so he asks for all people to stop corruption and follow the law..... Which is certainly easier for him to say, but only a few people and a handful of businesses can survive.

So instead of just saying "Bad Cop, No Dougnut", explain the game, educate to the youngones what is really going-on and what needs to be fixed.

When Crime makes a Dream team, it's called Corruption. It is crime on a vast scale. And not only do they know the rules and where the line is drawn, they're much better players at the game than you.

Yosuik this news story isn't about you is it?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I could be wrong....but doubt it...this is not a headline you would see in Norway or Switzerland......

the big problem with a crooked police force and justice system is who do you report the crime to without digging you own grave ?

Excellent point lw99

You never digg your own grave if you report this bastards!!! Just use CCTV clips and report it together with a news reporter to the police. This will protect you 100%!!! This people had nothing more as publicity. 

I would reply to your rant if you could spell profitable ?

4 hours ago, SoulWater said:

Sounds fairly cheap in my experience I would just have paid and kept quiet :)

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm sure you understand 100% what I mean. :-)

What reasons it give for men to pay protection money to criminals?

1. To be afraid and not have balls!!!

2. Doing self something illegal (no Work Permit,  be a criminal, ...)

3. ???

So what was your reason to pay?

I'm sure you understand 100% what I mean. :-)

What reasons it give for men to pay protection money to criminals?

1. To be afraid and not have balls!!!
2. Doing self something illegal (no Work Permit,  be a criminal, ...)
3. ???

So what was your reason to pay?

Because this is Thailand and I prefer it when you can look into the eyes of the people trying to control you rather than all the rules being changed centrally