Commuters Trapped In BTS Rush Hour Breakdown

snoop1130

Commuters Trapped In BTS Rush Hour Breakdown

By Khaosod English

23960709_10154922326735636_685153977_o-1-696x440.jpg

Passengers trapped inside a skytrain carriage Thursday evening

BANGKOK — A system failure left hundreds of skytrain passengers stranded on platforms and carriages for an hour.

The trains broke down at about 6.24pm, according to a statement tweeted by BTS management. It said there would be “10 minutes delay” in train rides. However, the system wasn’t back on track until 7.39pm. 

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/11/23/commuters-trapped-bts-rush-hour-breakdown/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-23

1 hour ago, Benchod said:

2nd time in 2 days.. broke down on Wednesday evening about 5pm - there was about 20 City Power guys doing wiring right below the tracks on Sukhumvit...

pic from Asoke station Wednesday night

IMG_8742.JPG

I suppose once they got everything level again it was ok??

??

Bangkok is such a hell on earth to live..  I feel for these people, and many don't even know it.

Having lived, worked and commuted here for 13 years, I can assure you it's no worse than any other major capital city. And the BTS/MRT is generally excellent but might now be showing its age.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only thing that will get the morons who so-say run the BTS to drastically improve their customer service is for the customers to demand it with action, not words. 

A day without customers would be one option. A protest outside their office another. And Thais have proved in the past that they can do these things if pushed. 

The only thing that will get the morons who so-say run the BTS to drastically improve their customer service is for the customers to demand it with action, not words. 

A day without customers would be one option. A protest outside their office another. And Thais have proved in the past that they can do these things if pushed. 

What improvements are required?

30 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

"ten minutes delay" then we are told it was over an hour to get train working.

TYPICAL THAI time they have NO IDEA OF TIME !!!

They have no idea of safety maintenance standards in particular....

Trapped on one of those trains without air for even a few minutes is a nightmare in the Bangkok humidity. Not long ago there were people hospitalised due to passing out after a similar breakdown on the airport rail link, even the PM ordered an investigation.

Meanwhile, in other news the MRT has just removed seats in order to cram in more passengers rather than increasing frequency or numbers of carriages. 

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Having lived, worked and commuted here for 13 years, I can assure you it's no worse than any other major capital city. And the BTS/MRT is generally excellent but might now be showing its age.

Gee, isn't that why they invented "maintenance"???

"No worse than any other major capital city"?  Your "assurances"??   Lol.  Ah, yeah, OK.   Hey Barkeep!  Bring this guy another pint!

22 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

LOL 13 years ago travelling on the BTS was easy not like today where everyone is squeezed on like sardines

On 11/24/2017 at 9:19 AM, Jonmarleesco said:

what a load of rubbish. the BTS is an extraordinarily well-managed system with extremely few breakdowns or interruptions. Compare that with the almost daily chaos in Singapore or KL (admittedly they have more lines).

My home towns' transport system in Europe experiences interruptions almost on a daily basis (I follow the daily paper online), and it for sure is not a third world place.

I would go so far to say that the BTS Company is maybe the best-managed transport Co in all of South East Asia

First, the BTS has been great over the early years I used it. But now the heavy usage these last couple of years is taking its toll on the equipment. The BTS appears to be operating well over capacity. I'm really glad I left the city this past summer. So many trains were full in the early evening, one had to wait 1-2 more trains before being able to get on. Mornings were difficult, and the system was pretty much busy all day. And too, evening taxis were getting worse and worse, with so many refusals to go from Prom Pong to Phra Khanong. Bangkok transport was getting consistently painful to deal with.

BTS is almost unbearable during non rush hour.  Not enough trains.  It sure isn't cheap, either.  Busses are more comfortable, but then there is the gridlock.  Thais and wiring?  Nope.  It was good when it was cheap and new, and the girls didn't have their faces in smartphones.  MRT is almost as bad.

I was stuck on one of the trains on Thursday. I got on at Asoke and it stayed at the station, with doors open and aircon running. Sure, it was packed. but it wasn't unbearable. After about a 30 minute delay we moved to Nana, where we stayed for another 15 minutes or so. Then the same at Ploen Chit. The rest of my journey was okay.

I have used the BTS system fairly regularly over the past 15 years and this was the first time I have been inconvenienced.

Of course there are now issues with the system, but I think they have a pretty good record.