Long-time homeless American deported

Rimmer

12 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

hes a well liked guy, been in Thailand a long time and has children here, down on his luck finding teaching work the last year or so. I have no doubt that friends will take care of him

im not surprised . No other way he wouldda survived . And i bet he had means/and good rep early on . Probably simpler wants and needs (even earlier) that enabled him to carry on and live day by day

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, marginline said:

Goodbye Mr Philip.

Your country's Immigration and Customs Enforcement could learn a LOT from the compassion and respect Thailand has given you.

yep...thais deported him back to his own country...as should any country that values borders.

1 minute ago, hdkane said:

yep...thais deported him back to his own country...as should any country that values borders.

Ah! But it's the manner in which Thai Immigration have deported Mr Phillip hdkane. They have done so with compassion, dignity and respect for this United States (US) citizen.

I can write from personal experience Sir that the US's ICE could learn a LOT from the way Thailand has treated this gentleman. :wai:

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

It's easier than you could believe ezzra. With so much debt and meagre savings for folk in occidental countries, I believe the figure is something like 33% of people are literally just one paycheck from the gutter. So if one should suffer a health emergency or lose ones' job; that's how easy it could be.

4 minutes ago, marginline said:

Yes; Honolulu, Hawaii would most certainly be a good choice for Mr Phillip. :thumbsup:

Having personally lived there for 3-years I can vouch that the locals are friendly and the climate; the best in the world.

Mr Phillip will also have a new moniker though lonewolf99; beside that of "Haole", he'll also be a "Malahini". Aloha. :wai:

many dont realize the homeless in the usa have many different areas and levels of accomodations to 'choose' from......smaller areas of pacific northwest many shelters , some good mountain scenery , even some free breakfast/mission/hangout places . Almost fraternity like cuz so many are youngish backpacker types . Its almost ' hip ' to be homeless area ......as opposed to homeless residing in lasvegas.......not a lot of freebies and a more seasoned (old) , real, connish , and desperate  bunch...........i suspect the deported guy is tougher than all by now . Im confident he had 5 years working history minimum for pension . Even if he didnt , they could 'disable' him and hed qualify for something . And he will get about 200 month food allowance regardless and will qualify for medicade health insurance .....i like his future considering what hes coming from

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I seriously doubt he existed in this manner "just to be a burden on others". 

As for why, I think in order to know, one would need to ask him.

7 hours ago, Bullie said:

Then I hope for your sake that life will never throw you a fast one. Loosing one's footing is easily done, sir, and I resent your passing judgement on someone who's background you have no knowledge of.

The one thing you seemingly have " thrown to the garbage" is your feelings of compassion for a fellow man.

Who the hell do you think you are to moralize on someone's opinion.? Are you the compassion 'police'?  who cares what you resent or not. The OP expressed his opinion. That's what this forum is for.

Have you actually witnessed what this particular 'bum' has been doing over the last 20 years? Why hasn't he got a passport? If you had no passport - do you think that you are so high almighty that you should have the same 'privilege'? We all go through thumping great hoops to stay here. Why should he be different? What have you ever done to help someone in a like situation?  There's plenty around - I've seen some of them them all over the place, or read about them over the last 13 years. Thailand has laws - whether you ridicule them or not. Try it yourself pal and see how far YOU get!

Nobody likes a smart arse!

coming to thailand at 47 he probably had 5 or 10 years minimum work history . Hell qualify for ssi regrdless . His situation will improve

Probably. Minimum is 40 quarters with a minimum income formula as well. But it won't be enough to live on not even close.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, marginline said:

Goodbye Mr Philip.

Your country's Immigration and Customs Enforcement could learn a LOT from the compassion and respect Thailand has given you.

Whaaaaat are you talking about. America treats illegal aliens better than most countries 

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

I had a good friend he made good money had everything.    He just couldn't take it he dropped off the face of the planet for 2 years.

He said the freedom was awesome. But the no money part  sucked

28 minutes ago, jimmyaaa said:

what do you mean it wont be enough for him to live on ? did you read the article ?

What article? The news says he's been living rough for many years in Pattaya. Is there another article saying he's loaded? Anyway, if he's eligible for S.S. he could have started it early at age 62 (even lower check).

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You need much more than 5 years working credit for S. S.  ...

The number of work credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on your date of birth.

If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work).

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What article? The news says he's been living rough for many years in Pattaya. Is there another article saying he's loaded? Anyway, if he's eligible for S.S. he could have started it early at age 62 (even lower check).

not the article 'saying hes loaded ' the one saying hes destitute in asia......american hospitals , food stamps , and a housing voucher will make him 'rich'...do you think his standard of living might be a little low now ? maybe your right hell hate his 800 a month welfare check and free food . Maybe he wont like riding the bus 

2 minutes ago, jimmyaaa said:

not the article 'saying hes loaded ' the one saying hes destitute in asia......american hospitals , food stamps , and a housing voucher will make him 'rich'...do you think his standard of living might be a little low now ? maybe your right hell hate his 800 a month welfare check and free food . Maybe he wont like riding the bus 

You're tripping. Most places in the USA where you can exist without a car are very expensive. Social security is not a welfare check. Subsidized housing isn't offered to all that need it by any means and the current HUD is cutting thing big time. Being poor in the USA is often a death sentence. It's also criminalized. Don't glamorize it. 

Just now, Damrongsak said:

I'm a little slow posting - the cat is crawling all over the desk and keyboard.

hes ssi and food stamp shoo in right outta the gate...the guy being deported....no more rice , no more talking in second language , finally be able to pet a cat without getting rabies....HONEY IM COMING HOME ! might even reunite with class of 1967 sweetheart that he digs up on facebook

Just now, Jingthing said:

You're tripping. Most places in the USA where you can exist without a car are very expensive. Social security is not a welfare check. Subsidized housing isn't offered to all that need it by any means and the current HUD is cutting thing big time. Being poor in the USA is often a death sentence. It's also criminalized. Don't glamorize it. 

most places ? hes smart enough to survive for 20 years here hell find a good place....maybe your right , he might move to manhattan to be homeless....if being poor in thailand wasnt a death sentence i think hell cut it in the us of a...glamorizing it ? looking at the bright side as opposed to whining about the injustice of it all .....being poor aint a death sentence only an obstacle

4 minutes ago, jimmyaaa said:

most places ? hes smart enough to survive for 20 years here hell find a good place....maybe your right , he might move to manhattan to be homeless....if being poor in thailand wasnt a death sentence i think hell cut it in the us of a...glamorizing it ? looking at the bright side as opposed to whining about the injustice of it all .....being poor aint a death sentence only an obstacle

You're right that it's amazing he survived in Thailand this long.

I was curious about this and I looked it up. Mortality rates among the homeless in the USA are massively higher than those with homes. It's what I expected. It's common sense. The fact that he adjusted in Thailand it doesn't follow that he's prepared for his situation in the USA where costs are that much higher and the culture is so different.  Anyway, I wish him luck but I also don't understand who is going to pay his way  out the immigration detention. here. 

Edited by Jingthing

20 years as homeless in Thailand , what was his diet ? Probably only rice and more rice, maybe a coconut and some bananas. He looks skinny but doesn't look like an alcoholic to me.  

26 minutes ago, balo said:

20 years as homeless in Thailand , what was his diet ? Probably only rice and more rice, maybe a coconut and some bananas. He looks skinny but doesn't look like an alcoholic to me.  

What does an alcoholic look like Sir?

Buzz Aldrin and Mary J. Blige don t appear to have any physical similarities.

Edited by greatwhitenorth

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have seen this unfortunate man many times. Nothing about him looked anything anywhere near  'able bodied'.  The man shows all the tell tell signs of mental illness, muttering, talking  to himself, showing no understanding of his surroundings. He is the furthest thing from able bodied man.

You call this man a 'bum' , he just drew an unlucky draw in life, very likely born with debilitating, cripping illness, his only chance to make it through each day, and to stay alive is only through help of fellow men.

Instead of sending him back (to an environement much harsher than Thailand), they should have just left him alone. Him not having hurt or bothered anyone for 20 years.

- I'd rather have the criminal Beach-Road Lady Boys deported to the US instead of a harmless old guy.

In form of a "Cultural-Exchange Program": For every 100 US-Tourists visiting Thailand, 1 Beach-Road Lady Boy gets to live in the South Bronx. Good riddance.
Cheers.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're right that it's amazing he survived in Thailand this long.

I was curious about this and I looked it up. Mortality rates among the homeless in the USA are massively higher than those with homes. It's what I expected. It's common sense. The fact that he adjusted in Thailand it doesn't follow that he's prepared for his situation in the USA where costs are that much higher and the culture is so different.  Anyway, I wish him luck but I also don't understand who is going to pay his way  out the immigration detention. here. 

' adjusted in thailand ' not preparing him for the deathmarch of the usa homeless ? haha ....right...costs are higher for what ? homeless license ? hell get foodstamps ( free food) and the possibilties of much more ( i know , no guarantee immediate free lodging there will be a list)....what about medicade insurance isnt that an improvement of his current situation ? . He will qualify . Or is this another danger hell face after he 'adjusted' to the easy life of the thailand homelessness without hospital care , free food on schedule , ect....i suppose the unhealthiness of the usa diet is another danger from the free food hell eat.... and whos to say he cant get a job and make a few more extra dollars ? that is if he dont die right away from the busriding , free food eating , hospitalness and infrastructure of the usa.....GOD help him !!!

40 minutes ago, swissie said:

Instead of sending him back (to an environement much harsher than Thailand), they should have just left him alone. Him not having hurt or bothered anyone for 20 years.

- I'd rather have the criminal Beach-Road Lady Boys deported to the US instead of a harmless old guy.

In form of a "Cultural-Exchange Program": For every 100 US-Tourists visiting Thailand, 1 Beach-Road Lady Boy gets to live in the South Bronx. Good riddance.
Cheers.

hell definetly miss his kids . And i bet hell miss thailand too , at least for a while . Hes gotta be having health issues that hell be able to address so thats good . He might not like the latest rap songs hell hear . And he better work on his spanish.....i believe his story might make a good book . Probably so much more to it than we know now.....