Best compact new car

1happykamper

I have a budget of 600.000 and I am researching reviews in Thailand for the best compact car. Toyota Yaris seems popular.. but can I do better for similar money?

Plus.. Is there a dignify price difference buying a new car in Bangkok for example rather than near my home in nahkon si tamarat? Cheers. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

It's not a question of liking it.. I want to know which car is more reliable. Thanks.

Well some Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, saloon cars in my village are still going strong and they are very old. :laugh:

Myself and in Thailand used and bought because I liked the look of them was a Toyota Vigo 6 years, Yaris 9 years, Honda City 4 years and they have never missed a beat.

Just bought another truck an Isuzu D-max because I liked it and they gave the best deal.

You might want to look at and drive the new Suzuki Swift............has good consumer and road test reports and drives like a dream IMO.

Have had one for 5 years now with no problems and I love it!!

Top model was around 570,000 baht.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You might want to look at and drive the new Suzuki Swift............has good consumer and road test reports and drives like a dream IMO.

Same with mine, but the suzuki ciaz is larger and may be more comfortable on longer trips. At that price point I'd also look at a lower spec honda city. 

Most of these modern small cars are reliable, so it's a matter of the OP choosing the one they like the most and does what they want it to do. 

It can take 10+! years for things to fall apart. My 13 y.o honda costs me monthly in repair bills (prob cos I don't drive it enough), but the 5 y.o swift just gets regular services (edit...I did get the caliper pins replaced and rotors resurfaced).

They will all be at the show next week, so its a good time to check them all out. narrow down the search to the ones you like to sit in and have the specs you want. Later book a test drive at the dealer (or do like Thais and just order it at the show:)

23 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Pray tell what are these and when do you know that they need replacing??

If it feels like your tires or shocks have gone bad, it will be the caliper pins. I think others got them replaced under warranty, but mine went bad after that. You will feel every little bump in the road. I think they were 1400 baht. The caliper pins are part of the brake caliper. If your ride quality hasn't changed, you don't need to do anything about it.I thought my tired had gone too hard, but turns out it was the pins. My brakes started to vibrate as the rotors went out of round. It's startd to do it again, so I think the stock rotors are not so good. I think I'll use aftermarket rotors next.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

new model out early next year.

less than 600,000,

Nissan almeria, march and base note

Toyota yaris hatch and ativ saloon 7 air bags

Mitsubishi attrage and mirage

Honda brio and brio amaze

my personel choice more bang for the buck nissan almeria E sportive just under 500,000 baht after discount

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

If you can stretch to 800.000 can get new mazda 2 skyactive D saloon with eu standards 6 speed with tiptronic opp 250n which is nearly double any honda toyota ect has cruise and blind spot monitor ect heads up display had mine 2 months cannot fault it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

We bought a new Vios 4 months ago.  really pleased with it.  Its basic but quiet and comfortable.  I also hired a Yaris a week ago   and in my view, it is inferior to the Vios, although may cost a bit more. 

the yaris activ is the same body as the vios but a lot cheaper, so the same room inside but a smaller engine, no spare in the activ just a space under the boot mat where it should be, but the base model at 479,000 still comes with 7 airbags, all models are auto

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, riche60 said:

If you can stretch to 800.000 can get new mazda 2 skyactive D saloon with eu standards 6 speed with tiptronic opp 250n which is nearly double any honda toyota ect has cruise and blind spot monitor ect heads up display had mine 2 months cannot fault it

only 33% more than the budget in the op, and a small car for big money

• Like 2

Mazda2. Better than the Rest.

Totally agree!

The Mazdas are more expensive but better equipped and have a better driving setup than than Yaris, Jazz etc.

The Mazda 2 is over the budget of THB 600,000. But it is also possible for a foreigner to finance a car. We do this since many years. I had to start with a 50% down payment but now only 20%.
  • Like 1

only 33% more than the budget in the op, and a small car for big money

You get what you pay for. The Mazda cars are now of superior quality and driving experience the other mentioned. They are also better equipped with safety features.

Yaris and Jazz have still a better resale value than a Mazda 2. But you see now much more Mazda cars on the road than 3 years ago.

The Mazda 2 Diesel becomes very popular. The Thai first didn’t like the Diesel because of their experience with Diesel trucks. Nowadays they know, that the small Diesel of the Mazda 2 is very refined, powerful and ecological.
  • Like 1

There are a lot of good compacts, a friend of mine swears by his Honda Brio. I was impressed by the Suzuki Ciaz I drove as a hire car.

Toyota Vios has a great reputation for reliability; however, IMHO Toyota are extracting a premium for that.

Nissan engines have good durability. I don't know about the Almera; however, the old Sunnys are racking up 400,000 km.

I am not sure the CVT gearboxes have achieved a reputation for reliability. Possibly better to stick with conventional automatics.

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

I've had my Yaris almost 4 years and it hasnt missed a beat.  I get it serviced by my Toyota dealer at the scheduled intervals and that's the only  money I've had to outlay.  For the sake of road safety, I'd suggest a brightly coloured car to slightly increase the chances of avoiding an accident on these crazy roads.  It's accelaration isnt great but good enough, but breaks very well and feels like a solid, strong car.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 5:28 PM, 1happykamper said:

Toyota Yaris seems popular.. but can I do better for similar money?

You already know what could fit you. 

Go for it. 

I prefer Yaris then Jazz.

the only thing that is a turn off to me,  is rear drum brakes. Ask if it could be replaced with disc brakes. 

Edited by Foozool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foozool said:

You already know what could fit you. 

Go for it. 

I prefer Yaris then Jazz.

the only thing that is a turn off to me,  is rear drum brakes. Ask if it could be replaced with disc brakes. 

Runstop do rear disc conversions...last time I checked it was 19K baht for my swift, which I didn't get done. I find rear drums are fine for such a light car. It stops better than my civic that has 4 wheel discs. 

In my mazda 2 D saloon seat has a lever to bring the seat up and down so no ptoblem if you are tall btw i am 6 foot 1 also swade and leather seats and steering wheel up and down and rake for me the mazda 2 D is by far the best and no cvt gearbox which are crap which ither car in the 600 to 800 bart has 250 n power only focus at l.lm i rest my case

One point not yet mentioned is can the back seats be folded down to expand the boot size ? I assumed that it would be the case for all cars in the smaller to mid range but it is not . The Mitsu Attrage and  Honda City  do not have that function  and there may be more , something that is easily overlooked . My lady bought an Attrage recently but the boot is a good size anyway and can take 2 sets of golf clubs and still room for much more .

• Like 1

New car prices here: http://thailand.carbay.com/en/new-cars

I like the Mazda 2. Owned one for the last 7 years with no drama. The car now has only 18k on it. Spend most of my time on the bike. Only use it in the rain or if I have to drive to Phuket Town. I figure at this rate the car will far outlast me. 

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, superal said:

One point not yet mentioned is can the back seats be folded down to expand the boot size ? I assumed that it would be the case for all cars in the smaller to mid range but it is not . The Mitsu Attrage and  Honda City  do not have that function  and there may be more , something that is easily overlooked . My lady bought an Attrage recently but the boot is a good size anyway and can take 2 sets of golf clubs and still room for much more .

Yaris didn't do that either last time I looked. The best car in the class is the Honda Jazz. Save your money. 

New car prices here: http://thailand.carbay.com/en/new-cars

I like the Mazda 2. Owned one for the last 7 years with no drama. The car now has only 18k on it. Spend most of my time on the bike. Only use it in the rain or if I have to drive to Phuket Town. I figure at this rate the car will far outlast me. 
Thanks for sharing this link.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk