What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

I've checked my float level by using the "clear tube method."

It's working well and you only have to put a clear tube over the bowl outlet, hold the tube up, next to the bowl and open the screw.

You'll see your float level without pulling the carbs and you'll know if it's getting too much ( risk of overflowing into the cylinders), or not enough fuel. 

Hitachi fuel level Yamaha Virago.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Isaanbiker said:

I've checked my float level by using the "clear tube method."

It's working well and you only have to put a clear tube over the bowl outlet, hold the tube up, next to the bowl and open the screw.

You'll see your float level without pulling the carbs and you'll know if it's getting too much ( risk of overflowing into the cylinders), or not enough fuel. 

My apologies. I just saw that the tube goes from the fuel inlet to the carb bowl. To make that properly, just leave the fuel line attached to the carb, use a clear tube that goes over the bowl outlet, then open the bowl fuel outlet screw and hold the tube up next to the bowl. 

Then you see when the float closes the valve and doesn't let more fuel in. This photo shows the right level you see from outside. 

clear tube methond.jpg

Good job I luv this bike, dash lights all working now although not as OME but working,  and tacho connection good now, indicator stays static at rpm instead of fluctuating.

High beam works and light indicating too.

78237977_706679413187637_7936754531105243136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=kBcULVdkTDEAQnmg85GNyAR8QN9biYPlCeQX39Sb7yPCGQx2N1tu-taug&_nc_ht=scontent.fphs4-1.fna&oh=71c563c7718d768cbc3e429459679d7a&oe=5E4454FEFound loads of bad connections but will renew complete harness next year. 

The thermostat position is such a pain I guess Honda don't think they can go wrong. 

76779556_1238252313026878_3067777350054707200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=JsQUBdki0KYAQl2JvCWn9FrTje1CiCAvgtrX_PhPVejGzZ4_mAvUiwZwA&_nc_ht=scontent.fphs4-1.fna&oh=543abda9d46605b2abb917b5b0483f03&oe=5E4A9BAE

Found there wasn't a thermostat fitted so good, was gonna throw it away anyhow.

Found problem at water pump, so much <deleted> (rubbish), cleaned and flushed out, maybe OK now I will see on the next blast.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good job I luv this bike, dash lights all working now although not as OME but working,  and tacho connection good now, indicator stays static at rpm instead of fluctuating.

High beam works and light indicating too.

78237977_706679413187637_7936754531105243136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=kBcULVdkTDEAQnmg85GNyAR8QN9biYPlCeQX39Sb7yPCGQx2N1tu-taug&_nc_ht=scontent.fphs4-1.fna&oh=71c563c7718d768cbc3e429459679d7a&oe=5E4454FEFound loads of bad connections but will renew complete harness next year. 

The thermostat position is such a pain I guess Honda don't think they can go wrong. 

76779556_1238252313026878_3067777350054707200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=JsQUBdki0KYAQl2JvCWn9FrTje1CiCAvgtrX_PhPVejGzZ4_mAvUiwZwA&_nc_ht=scontent.fphs4-1.fna&oh=543abda9d46605b2abb917b5b0483f03&oe=5E4A9BAE

Found there wasn't a thermostat fitted so good, was gonna throw it away anyhow.

Found problem at water pump, so much <deleted> (rubbish), cleaned and flushed out, maybe OK now I will see on the next blast.

I really admire your patience , just one look and that wiring mess would have totally defeated me and put me into a meltdown 555. Good luck with on the ongoing project very commendable 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Randell said:

I really admire your patience , just one look and that wiring mess would have totally defeated me and put me into a meltdown 555. Good luck with on the ongoing project very commendable 

Thanks almost there with the abandoned 25 year old Blade.

These bikes are history and a peach and being dumped for 6 years this bike in particular shows that,.

Luv riding it and test riding at the moment, wiring is not a problem but will need to renew all for reliability.

The mechanics are good as far as my checkouts and at 72,000k (46,000 miles) and thats nothing for this type of bike knowing from experience as an owner of a 1992 UK one.

Mates who had them in UK at the time as courier riders going all over UK I use to help servicing their bikes for them, just normal maintenance was required they just kept going.

On my one until some part at 25 years old gives up the ghost, no worries a 5-8 year old bike can make you renew, fix or replace parts just the same. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, taninthai said:

6EAED9C4-30DB-4F3B-8780-95A8D901D979.jpeg

Fishy is swimming the wrong way

////////////////////

the connecting split-link is on the wrong way.

Could be a safety issue.??

[this was pointed out to papa

by a fanatic who ain't here no mo.]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, papa al said:

////////////////////

Yes I read something about that this week ,probably somewhere on here or on a you tube video,,will look into it????

7 minutes ago, papa al said:

////////////////////

Yeah if the wind got under it could be blown off the chain link.????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah if the wind got under it could be blown off the chain link.????

This video gives a fair enough explanation admits probably won’t cause problem ,but on a dirt bike with chain guide underneath could be an issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taninthai said:

This video gives a fair enough explanation admits probably won’t cause problem ,but on a dirt bike with chain guide underneath could be an issue.

OTT buddy if you want to change it do it with a new master-link clip.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Always interesting. Thanks. Have always been impressed with those that have the knowledge no matter how great and aren't afraid to jump in. Being an old industrial carpenter am limited to " if it can't be fixed with a hammer it's truly broken" 555 Good luck with the ongoing project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Randell said:

Always interesting. Thanks. Have always been impressed with those that have the knowledge no matter how great and aren't afraid to jump in. Being an old industrial carpenter am limited to " if it can't be fixed with a hammer it's truly broken" 555 Good luck with the ongoing project.

" if it can't be fixed with a hammer it's truly broken"

???? you can't beat the " Irish Screwdriver " it fixed my fuel pump. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

Snapped the chain adjuster of half the thread is still in swingarm☹️☹️☹️

If it sheared off while trying to turn it then the stub must be pretty tightly embedded in there.  If you want to attack the problem yourself you could try taking the wheel off to give a better angle to drill it, but would then need to decide whether to drill it out totally and rethread the swing arm, or try drilling a smaller diameter hole and get the correct reverse threaded tap to screw into it and try to budge it that way.  Otherwise, take it to an engineering shop and see if they can do it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, taninthai said:

Snapped the chain adjuster of half the thread is still in swingarm☹️☹️☹️

6CAA0A88-935C-4AAA-BA1B-E0A81AAD04D9.jpeg

AB4303BF-7FC5-407B-A916-5CDF06F1B213.jpeg

Yeah gonna be a bitch, so many things need maintenance on a bike to stop corrosion it doesn't stop at oil change intervals.