What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Never Seez is your friend

Well I know in Thailand never seez was not used on my bike it has had the carbs off before everything well over torque and not just the carbs the cam cover which has a special bolt has snapped going into the cylinder head. 

Put a clutch lever change and new grip also brake lever with a later reservoir design looking better.

Braided brake hoses in place, next job bleeding bleeding. ????

80284130_1021406258209054_8425529119424380928_n.jpg.be57d6b6c6ea5ce2e3377fce8480a183.jpg

79098405_611377229635964_3966824433011654656_n.jpg.0c97e410ec7cd3152549d41d3ca7146c.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kwasaki said:

Haven't seen posts from Thai guzzi but thought he might like this because parked my 25 year blade near this the other day.

A Spanish young lady turned up on riding this 50 + year old Bonnie with her partner from Switzerland riding on a 34 year old BM flat 4 1000 in my village.

I asked her if it was a T120 or T100 she said she didn't know but had had no problems riding all the way from Spain into Switzerland and on and on into Thailand.

Just having respect seems a too little for her.   

78424268_2415996208663941_7793111935460835328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=PU4rNsUMf0oAQlco6B03HJmvUCsbv5hOliHty97WLcvvJnzoNAKQaKO0g&_nc_ht=scontent.fphs4-1.fna&oh=a14bba5f0a838683f737652ee391bedf&oe=5E865A29

I'm a million miles away from being an expert on Triumphs but is this really a '50 year old Bonnie'? That'd make it a 1970(ish) model. It's got the Hinckley Triumph tank logo rather than the 'old' style which had the leg of the R going to the back-end of the H. Cylinder finning is wrong for a '70s bike. CV carbs? Twin downtube frame. Did the 1970 bike have disc brakes? Fork protectors rather than gaiters. Just doesn't look like anything other than a reasonably modern Hinckley Triumph.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I'm a million miles away from being an expert on Triumphs but is this really a '50 year old Bonnie'? That'd make it a 1970(ish) model. It's got the Hinckley Triumph tank logo rather than the 'old' style which had the leg of the R going to the back-end of the H. Cylinder head finning is wrong for a '70s bike. Twin downtube frame. Fork protectors rather than gaiters. Just doesn't look like anything other than a reasonably modern Hinckley Triumph.

At first I thought it may have been an '83-4 Harris 8 Valve; closer inspection I concur..... it's a Hinkley; note fully screwed primary, left side clutch actuator, exhaust flanges & carbs.

As for the 1000cc flat four BMW......without photo no comment. Flat four or longitudinal four; known as a "brick" for obvious reasons or VW engined.

images (36).jpeg

images (37).jpeg

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

image.png.98c12fbf177527f2eee52fa6fcb12b04.png

I'm a million miles away from being an expert on Triumphs but is this really a '50 year old Bonnie'? That'd make it a 1970(ish) model. It's got the Hinckley Triumph tank logo rather than the 'old' style which had the leg of the R going to the back-end of the H. Cylinder finning is wrong for a '70s bike. CV carbs? Twin downtube frame. Did the 1970 bike have disc brakes? Fork protectors rather than gaiters. Just doesn't look like anything other than a reasonably modern Hinckley Triumph.

Well spotted.  Other clues include the exhaust shape, front indicators and non-spoked wheels.  It looks more like a ~2009 Bonneville SE with a fly screen fitted.

image.png.c9445ec4538a7ffad0997647b9baf85c.png

image.png.586f7f753b4363c07b751fc470b9b517.png

Here's a '69 T120 for comparison:

image.png.764d44f66738b10a8114fc1df75821e7.png

Still, no mean feat to ride it from Spain to Thailand, no matter what year it is.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

You may well be right that's why I mentioned Thaiguzzi he would know exactly what Triumph bike was, it looked a 1200 to me.

Her partner didn't know either he just said it was old and his BM was 34 years.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Shakedown trip for the new Ohlins.

8.5 hours thru the mountains - up, down,up down, twist, turn, twist, turn  ...

Maybe 1.5 hours total on Hiway

That's a long race, anything different from stock or just more adjustments for track days. ????

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's a long race, anything different from stock or just more adjustments for track days. ????

New rear shock with compression and rebound damping adjustment.

New front spring for my weight.

All day up and down mountains, shuckin' and jivin'

Feels like a completely different bike. Now need to find a post '17 CB300 for an engine swap !

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

New rear shock with compression and rebound damping adjustment.

New front spring for my weight.

All day up and down mountains, shuckin' and jivin'

Feels like a completely different bike. Now need to find a post '17 CB300 for an engine swap !

I would look at your gains of the swap unless it's just something you want to do and you don't mind spending money on the bike.

Here's a proper swap that'll tear tyres to pieces.????

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would look at your gains of the swap unless it's just something you want to do and you don't mind spending money on the bike.

I bought it to explore the secondary roads in the North - and the dirt in the dry season.

Gets more road time than any other bike I own.

Prices on CB300 coming down all the time, just a matter of finding the right one.

After pricing all the usual go-fast goodies - like the exhaust which make a hell of a racket, EJK, etc I feel that a complete engine swap the best bang for the buck. Prices of Takagawa out of this world, and not reliable to boot.

Still waiting on a guy who is doing a Turbo conversion on his - then best of both worlds ...

• Like 2

Quite happy with it. I just like to potter around - see the sights, take pics, just chill.

My Banzai days of balls to the wall - redline all the time have passed.

Still ask myself when I shave - "How are you still here "

the Old Chinese curse "May you live in Interesting Times" sure applies to me !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Quite happy with it. I just like to potter around - see the sights, take pics, just chill.

My Banzai days of balls to the wall - redline all the time have passed.

Still ask myself when I shave - "How are you still here "

the Old Chinese curse "May you live in Interesting Times" sure applies to me !!!

... amen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That's it 500 instead of 250, 300, 400 and if as a rider you can adjust OK but I couldn't my bike now is not so much of top speed its acceleration, my CB400, Vesys and CRF250 couldn't give me what I wanted and had for 12 years before coming to Thailand.  

Today was a nasty day with a wake up call. I've pulled my carbs again and found three huge problems that can't be fixed with the K & L Kit I had ordered.

1. The tower of the slide, where the main jet sits in has cuts caused by a mechanic who's trying to get the jet out. Now I'll need to replace both slides.

2. The one diaphragm has a tiny little hole that can only be seen when you stretch the rubber. Still a big enough issue that the slide's not opening at the right time. Explains my back firing, etc. 

3. The pilot, or fuel/air mixture screw's o -ring was broken and hanging inside the spring. A new screw with o-ring is already inside.

Here's what I've learned before you even open any parts of your carbs, something you'll not even find in a textbook.

You can easily check if your slides work, or if there's a leak somewhere. Please see: 

Carb o ring problem.jpg

front cyl carb.jpg

Jet removed.jpg

main jet platic broken.jpg

Slides at carb Mikuni_001.png

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, Kwasaki said:

Great carb kit 'O' rings came today.

80652872_449050262664447_3841883774241472512_n.jpg.2914fa840471d2f2e5491e2411aa62d9.jpg

Sorry Honda redesigned airflow management.

80553087_453147155360550_7769149767455604736_n.jpg.8f26fde0f1a9b30ed9e87de43e8fda07.jpg

Just been using this today ????

79503369_2437851336342688_3731026940300099584_n.jpg.2d97c409781a3a710737606192628a6a.jpg

I've overhauled my carbs today, but now need some more parts. Have you ever heard of the "Colortune", a nice tool to tune your carbs?

You screw it in each cylinder and you see the combustion. If it's yellow you need to go leaner. Once it's a nice blueish, you're good to go.

It's not expensive and i'd have thought great for a 4 cylinder bike. Especially when you've overhauled them.

Best Of luck and please keep it updated!!! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've overhauled my carbs today, but now need some more parts. Have you ever heard of the "Colortune", a nice tool to tune your carbs?

You screw it in each cylinder and you see the combustion. If it's yellow you need to go leaner. Once it's a nice blueish, you're good to go.

It's not expensive and i'd have thought great for a 4 cylinder bike. Especially when you've overhauled them.

Best Of luck and please keep it updated!!! 

Thanks for the text availability and would give a try if I could borrow one. ???????? 

What I am doing is the old fashion way and going by ear, exhaust sign & sound, road performance and will then check each of the 4 plugs.

Yeah will keep updating for those interested, thanks. 

Enjoy your input too,  shame guzzling ain't about. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Today was a nasty day with a wake up call. I've pulled my carbs again and found three huge problems that can't be fixed with the K & L Kit I had ordered.

1. The tower of the slide, where the main jet sits in has cuts caused by a mechanic who's trying to get the jet out. Now I'll need to replace both slides.

2. The one diaphragm has a tiny little hole that can only be seen when you stretch the rubber. Still a big enough issue that the slide's not opening at the right time. Explains my back firing, etc. 

3. The pilot, or fuel/air mixture screw's o -ring was broken and hanging inside the spring. A new screw with o-ring is already inside.

Here's what I've learned before you even open any parts of your carbs, something you'll not even find in a textbook.

You can easily check if your slides work, or if there's a leak somewhere. Please see: 

Carb o ring problem.jpg

front cyl carb.jpg

Jet removed.jpg

main jet platic broken.jpg

Slides at carb Mikuni_001.png

In my experience of CV carbs scratches on slides can be caused by grit or dirt build-up getting in at sometime or if a bad scratch as you say a monkey getting the jet needle out.

They can be temporarly repaired if you cannot find replacement.

The diaphragms as I'm sure you know can go anytime. 

Pilot screw 'O' rings too when at lot of adjusting has been done in the past. 

No worries everthiing will be fine until the next something else.????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

Remove both of those ancient, outdated carbs.

Have an aluminum manifold made with a Mikuni mounting flange for one carb.

But a New, current issue Mikuni. Set it - and forget it.

Garbage all that junk the factory used back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Remove both of those ancient, outdated carbs.

Have an aluminum manifold made with a Mikuni mounting flange for one carb.

But a New, current issue Mikuni. Set it - and forget it.

Garbage all that junk the factory used back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Some people like to keep things original ???? must say I don't but I prefer my 4 carbs over fuel injected version.