What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for the text availability and would give a try if I could borrow one. ???????? 

What I am doing is the old fashion way and going by ear, exhaust sign & sound, road performance and will then check each of the 4 plugs.

Yeah will keep updating for those interested, thanks. 

Enjoy your input too,  shame guzzling ain't about. 

You've got CV carbs, right? Have you watched the video in my former post on how to check the diaphragms?

It can save you a lot of problems, the last time I've overhauled my carbs, I've checked the rubber of them, but didn't see that there's a tiny little hole in one.

What basically happened was that the front slide didn't open as it should and caused weird stress on my Moped and me. 

And that bitc_y thing is only visible when you stretch it. Did you buy a K & L Kit?

I've learned a lot with the help of our FB Virago forum on how to overhaul and adjust carbs.

If you have the big spark plugs, i can send you the tool to adjust them. But Honda as far as i remember have the smaller plugs.

Should you have the 14 mm ones, please do not hesitate to send me a message. I'll send the kit to you and you just send it back after the adjustment, no big deal.

Best of luck! 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Please do not get me wrong, I'm well aware that you know your stuff up and down, but it's for other people who might plan to overhaul their carbs.

What you say about spanners messing with older big bikes before you own it in Thailand has been a problem for many enthusiasts.

To be fair they have caught up nowadays in my experience if you find the right place or mechanic.

So right and this is a good thread to keep active.

Shame guzz didn't hang in.

Knowledge about bikes is extensive, my experience is sports carb bikes but not only just old bikes, servicing and fixing many other types with faults, even if they do have a computer controlling everything. ????

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Stripped out the standard tandem swinging arm in the hope that a single side unit will be available and fit..

Anybody here know if a single sided arm unit off a 90's onwards vfr750/800 will straight fit into a 88/90 RC24 vfr750???? Can it be done??

Best google that but like anything to do with motorcycles, sure you know nothing's impossible. 

• Thanks 1

Luckily I found the right tool to get this damn fork out where the slides is in. It's a weird construction and I had the feeling that my o-rings were a sort of messed up.

But what i saw was shocking. The former rubber was brittle as a piece of 200 years old plastic. That's what I could get out. Lol

The first photo shows the part where the rubbers are sitting on. Second one the rubbers I took out. 

Carb o ring problem.jpg

These were o-rings a while ago.jpg

rear cylinder carb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got my carbs ready, all is set up, the float level, new jets ( all of them!) and now waiting for the new and genuine diaphragms that will come from Australia.

I had to spent one day to go from shop to shop to find four 10 mm ( Diameter) x 1.5 ( Thickness) o-rings for the forks where the slides sit in.

Please see last photo, they were like hardened plastic, perhaps through ethanol in gasoline. 

A very friendly mechanic at a Yamaha shop searched all the old parts and finally found four of them that fit in. I'd tried 10 mm x 1.9, but no luck.

All is set up, the fuel/air mixture screws correctly, the fuel enricher, but it's possible that the diaphragms come in on the 8th, of january, or later.

It never took longer than 10 days to get something from the US, but it takes 20 days from Aussieland?

Please see the one photo that were o rings many years ago. They didn't seal anything and are over the diaphragms. One reason for the strange behaviour with the carbs.

And one diaphragm had a tiny hole you can only see when you stretch the rubber.

After overhauling them the second time in three months, I do know now what to check on and how to do a great job.

There are tricks that you won't find in any manuals or books. You just have to know it. 

I';m sure that I'll put ehm in, syncronise them, pilot screws are already okay.    

Carbs and slideholder.jpg

carbs ready for diaphragms II.jpg

enricher with parts.jpg

Jet change difficult.jpg

These were o-rings a while ago.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

Need some info guys, my bike today have problem with the old reinforced black rubber original fuel hose, it leaks and is cracked and hard.

Can only get and buy in my area this modern plastic green fuel hose and I'm not that happy even though I've been told OK for big bike, anybody up on with this new type of fuel hose.

It fits great no leaks under pressure and it's not in such a hot place or near something very hot, like the engine.

Just that fuel hose to me should have reinforcement just like they use on the bottle fed gas cooking ring hose that comes from the gas bottle. ???

12 minutes ago, papa al said:

How much PSI that fuel line carry ???

Not a lot compared to cars say, the fuel pump on the bike although old still distributes the calibrated amount of fuel as in the manual.

It's the new type of plastic fuel pipe if that's what I'm told it actual is which is the only type l've been able to get hold of,  that's what I'm bothered about, it's like plastic tube not reinforced rubber tube which an old git like me are use too. ????

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not a lot compared to cars say, the fuel pump on the bike although old still distributes the calibrated amount of fuel as in the manual.

It's the new type of plastic fuel pipe if that's what I'm told it actual is which is the only type l've been able to get hold of,  that's what I'm bothered about, it's like plastic tube not reinforced rubber tube which an old git like me are use too. ????

... she'll be right mate.

• Haha 1

I used the "clear tube method" to adjust my carb floats. 

Both now shut well and I'm still waiting for my diaphragms from Aussieland. 

Only have to put them in, then the carbs and the bike will have more power than it ever had.

Here's an `1100 cc on a dyno. Easy to see the power it's got. 

carbs from side.jpg

clear tube methond.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Sorry, mate. Just read your post.

Please have a look at these line. It's one fourth and holds 300 PSI.

Got them in my bike.

If you want I can send you some. It's of best quality. Let me know if that's what you're looking for. i can send you some. 

1 fourth 300 PSI fuel line.jpg

tube fuel.jpg

Yeah thanks the green pipes I have are holding good more than old ones no leaks.

The thing is I don't trust them, so thanks buddy we can arrange bank atm payment and will do when all this new year stuff is out the way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I used the "clear tube method" to adjust my carb floats. 

Both now shut well and I'm still waiting for my diaphragms from Aussieland. 

Only have to put them in, then the carbs and the bike will have more power than it ever had.

Here's an `1100 cc on a dyno. Easy to see the power it's got. 

carbs from side.jpg

clear tube methond.jpg

Yeah diaphragms in cv carbs are a pain if suppliers are not available.

So far I'm lucky with my Keihin 38mm cv's available in Uk dunno about Thailand, my guess is never.  

Ganna order a cbr1000 ignition lock the one I ordered fried in about 1 - 2 minutes on tick over, so back to chang 30 amp switch. ????.

The thing is my baby is on the road running sweet, so just some carb tuning procedure to check out now, fiddly but possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah thanks the green pipes I have are holding good more than old ones no leaks.

The thing is I don't trust them, so thanks buddy we can arrange bank atm payment and will do when all this new year stuff is out the way.

I'd have to ask my wife first to find out where she's bought them. All i know is that it's a shop in the center of the town/city.

It was quite nasty when the main tube from the main tank to the reserve tank turned out to be a tube for water only!!!???!

Holy sh_e. Hallelujah!!!

Result : Luckily, I saw that a lot of fuel was running down from the fuel lines to the rear and front cylinder, then down my knees to the ground, after starting the bike. The smell was horrific.

The material looked great and I was asking them five times if it was for fuel as well and they always said yes......

If the fuel is running  out at that speed, let's say doing 160 km/h and "having the blast", _a tiny little spark in the dark- and woosshhh!!!It will kick the shi_e out of you...aeehh me!. Thank "Go....????

"On fire" when doing 160 km/h? A nightmare when the gasoline drops on your jeans, or shorts,,/legs...and a little spark does the rest.

A flooded spark plug cap could do the trick. Ride Safe!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:00 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah diaphragms in cv carbs are a pain if suppliers are not available.

So far I'm lucky with my Keihin 38mm cv's available in Uk dunno about Thailand, my guess is never.  

Ganna order a cbr1000 ignition lock the one I ordered fried in about 1 - 2 minutes on tick over, so back to chang 30 amp switch. ????.

The thing is my baby is on the road running sweet, so just some carb tuning procedure to check out now, fiddly but possible.

This reminds me of just how much easier life became since I put all my bikes on a carb free diet.

• Haha 2