Weed killer residues found in popular vegetables and fruits

rooster59

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Who ever eat any vegetables grown in this country without thoroughly

to wash them first is taking a big risk with his health,

the health welfare of the consumer is not paramount on the minds of

the policy makers, as long as they get the farmers of their backs and

allow them them to knowingly poison the public.... 

Maybe true, but given the lack of running water in many of the restaurants, I wonder how many of them take your advice to heart when prepping meals for their customers?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it could be worth to try growing one's own fruits and veggies that suit the Thai climate ? If one has a garden available.

Surely with some help, expertise and advice from your local farmers, a bit of work and care, you could acheive fine results in the welcoming climate of Thailand.

Obviously it won't solve the issue of antibiotics and other harmful components in meat, poultry or even fish...but unfortunately my place is too small to have  heards of cows, sheep, hens and would not want to start breeding shrimps in the pool !

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, pest said:

the thai GF thinks 0/10 is not good and 9/10 is better so stay away from cabbage

I think she's got it wrong, looks like 0/10 'dtok mattratharn' (fail the standard) which would seem to mean that all have passed. That agrees with the graphic and info elsewhere on this post. I'm going for the head of cabbage...

Thai oranges are the worst but Makro has nice ones from australia now. Honey murcott or so, big ones but they have many pits.

Would be nice if they published which supermarkets have the best fresh fruit and vegy. That would change the use of chemicals i bet. 

Also noticed that lately many more baby-girls are born, almost no boys. Wonder if that has to do with eating the used chemicals.

30 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Always a good idea to wash all veggies....... I'll give you one more, That dirty manao you stick in your San Miggy!  Uh huh!  The ladies always tell me, "we wash, we wash"......Uh huh!    Hey, just sharing opinionated info!

As long as they don't use old manao from the urinals...lol

The best thing to do is to look for vegetables and fruit that obviously have been attacked by insects and avoid the pristine perfect looking produce. Insects do not like pesticides. There was a report published by a similar NGO several years ago which indicated that over 50% of vegetables and fruit labelled as organic showed pesticide residue. Its study included produce purchased from top end supermarkets as well as local markets. Organic food is becoming more popular in Thailand and all the time there is no proper regulation and/or enforcement unscrupulous growers and the like will continue to dupe a gullible public in the name of profit.

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

It's the same way they handle the use of asbestos here. Declared as health hazard, banned in may countries, including Thailand, but nothing happens. Maybe in both cases the policy: "Bringing health hazards to the people" appears.

Many are probably like my wife, (although many in the developed world I came from are still the same). The less she knows the happier she is. 

Who's wonder? All the pesticides that are forbidden in EU, US and other "civilized country" get to country like Thailand for a small money and the farmers used it in big concentration (no instruction how to use), at the end come all back to us. BON APPETIT! 

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Perhaps it could be worth to try growing one's own fruits and veggies that suit the Thai climate ? If one has a garden available.

Surely with some help, expertise and advice from your local farmers, a bit of work and care, you could acheive fine results in the welcoming climate of Thailand.

I can't even keep the ants out of my room , how do you keep them from what you're growing ?

They spray on red chillies ... what insect would eat raw red chillies ?

And then there is bread : You can eat Farmhouse bread for 5 or 6 days ...some heavy preservatives in there too.

Edited by BuaBS

9 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

I can't even keep the ants out of my room , how do you keep them from what you're growing ?

And then there is bread : You can eat Farmhouse bread for 5 or 6 days ...some heavy preservatives in there too.

Ants attack very few crops. 

While we sense burning when we eat chilli, many creatures do not (birds for example). The reason is the molecule that creates the burning sensation attaches to pain receptors that many creatures do not have.

You don't have to eat the bread, and given the amount of sugar in Thai bread its probably not a good idea to do so.

2 hours ago, glasswort said:

The best thing to do is to look for vegetables and fruit that obviously have been attacked by insects and avoid the pristine perfect looking produce. Insects do not like pesticides. There was a report published by a similar NGO several years ago which indicated that over 50% of vegetables and fruit labelled as organic showed pesticide residue. Its study included produce purchased from top end supermarkets as well as local markets. Organic food is becoming more popular in Thailand and all the time there is no proper regulation and/or enforcement unscrupulous growers and the like will continue to dupe a gullible public in the name of profit.

Organic food in Thailand - labels available from the "organic police".

Nothing new here ! Even organics cannot be trust, some journalists (not Thai of course, or I would call them journashiiite) have visited organics farms in Thailand and not even one didn't have empty chemicals cans in garbage... (yes, real journalists do not only check what the owners want to show them)

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Who ever eat any vegetables grown in this country without thoroughly

to wash them first is taking a big risk with his health,

the health welfare of the consumer is not paramount on the minds of

the policy makers, as long as they get the farmers of their backs and

allow them them to knowingly poison the public.... 

If you believe that cleaning vegetables and fruits will clean pesticides that are inside...

5 hours ago, boonchu said:

We use a ozone generator in the water to wash vege and fruit before putting them in the fridge. It also seems to prolong the storage life of the vegetables.

Ozone helps remove any chemical build up or pests on the vege and fruit.

Where to buy this machine ? Thanks.

While in Australia over the last few months I have purchased a lot of carrots as a basis for my salads.
Most are very crisp and sweet so I enjoy eating them raw for lunch as well as grating them for evening meal salads.

Last week I purchased some large carrots in a local Bangkok market which looked perfect in colour and shape with no blemishes.  I decided to eat one raw, which in hindsight was a bad idea.

It was the most bitter tasting carrot I have ever come across!

The next day I suffered bad diarrhea as well as a very itchy face and scalp.  I believe the carrot must have been full of pesticides, probably imported from China.

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

That's true, todays insects have fully adapted and will definately survive all our tactics. I did not think about the insect issue in a homemade backyard garden.

So there is no moderate repellant that would work in that case ?

For the ant story, had an issue here in Europe. I precisely put raw red chillies on all the corners of the place and it was solved. But I guess the Thai ants have tougher "tongues" then those here.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Maybe true, but given the lack of running water in many of the restaurants, I wonder how many of them take your advice to heart when prepping meals for their customers?

This is why eating food that you do not cook yourself is like slow suicide. Especially eating street food.