Pattaya moans: Nothing but rude Indians, Chinese and Arabs - "they treat the place like they own it"

webfact

Off topic posts and replies removed, topic is about visitors to Pattaya, not Thai Visa where visitors use VPN to hide their posting location 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an American who first came to Thailand in the Navy just after the Vietnam war, contemporary Pattaya is hardly recognizable. I remember when the beachfront was peppered with low-rise hotels and open-air bars: palm trees were the tallest structures in town. Walking street was so quiet, chill and fun loving. Never any fights, No mass tourism. It was little more than a fishing village with girls so shy and friendly they'd melt your heart with their soft way of speaking. Thainess in all its glory. Though it did get wild at times, there was never, at any time, disrespect between the Thais and us. I went back to Pattaya five years ago and was shocked at what I saw. It seemed so cold and callous. The tourists looked predatory, the girls old and hardened. Greed had set in. The money-people had taken over an idyllic seaside town and turned it into a putrid Las Vegas next to a putrid sea. I'll never go back.

Picture of Pattaya from my ship in 1980.

CV41-View of USS Reeves.Pattaya.JPG

pattaya.jpg

On 11/27/2017 at 12:38 AM, Just1Voice said:

Thailand has destroyed their tourist image for the good tourists who come and spend money, with all the jacked up dual pricing, piss poor attitudes, total lack of language skills, rip off prices, and high crime.  The "cream" has been scraped from the top, so now all they're left with is the dregs.  And no one but themselves to blame. 

I will adhere to your adequate rendition of a society that is variable....forget the  sex tourism...forget the fact that tourists expect beaches to be reasonably clean...and when tourists go to those beaches, get off your lazy <deleted> ass and clean them...idiots.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:23 AM, jonclark said:

And to those moaning locals we give you.....Tearful Kobkarn

I would suggest to go elsewhere....unless your situation is immune to the usual back and forth, then is ok. Living in Chiang mai or some location where everything is ok, then fine. Good for you! problem is when you go further south and therein lies the dual purpose of ridding natives from a proposed foreign investment. Still? A third world country- no matter the investment.

1 hour ago, Uptooyoo said:

As an American who first came to Thailand in the Navy just after the Vietnam war, contemporary Pattaya is hardly recognizable. I remember when the beachfront was peppered with low-rise hotels and open-air bars: palm trees were the tallest structures in town. Walking street was so quiet, chill and fun loving. Never any fights, No mass tourism. It was little more than a fishing village with girls so shy and friendly they'd melt your heart with their soft way of speaking. Thainess in all its glory. Though it did get wild at times, there was never, at any time, disrespect between the Thais and us. I went back to Pattaya five years ago and was shocked at what I saw. It seemed so cold and callous. The tourists looked predatory, the girls old and hardened. Greed had set in. The money-people had taken over an idyllic seaside town and turned it into a putrid Las Vegas next to a putrid sea. I'll never go back.

Picture of Pattaya from my ship in 1980.

You have no idea how much I envy you. I wish I had been there. I'd pay anything on Earth just to experience it one night.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:38 AM, Just1Voice said:

Thailand has destroyed their tourist image for the good tourists who come and spend money, with all the jacked up dual pricing, piss poor attitudes, total lack of language skills, rip off prices, and high crime.  The "cream" has been scraped from the top, so now all they're left with is the dregs.  And no one but themselves to blame. 

And therein lies the hyprocrisy....what is deemed a "good' tourist?Granted- many Thais bust their ass every day.That is not an issue.The tourists are the issue- those who disrespect and turn off thai purveyors. I do not blame them.

And then I grow tired...when I "think" that any of my words mean nothing

...So anywhey

52 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And therein lies the hyprocrisy....what is deemed a "good' tourist?Granted- many Thais bust their ass every day.That is not an issue.The tourists are the issue- those who disrespect and turn off thai purveyors. I do not blame them.

And then I grow tired...when I "think" that any of my words mean nothing

...So anywhere

On 11/27/2017 at 1:38 PM, Just1Voice said:

Great perspective.  I have come to the same conclusion, thais lack "self-awareness". It's always the foreigners fault.  Too busy saving their own face at any and all costs.  

On 11/27/2017 at 6:49 AM, chrisandsu said:

Yes for sure there is a few decent places one of my favourite places on earth is in Thailand (won’t say where)it’s beautiful and rural but not good for tourism ! You need a good mix of nighttime entertainment , things to do and see , restaurants , to make it a worthwhile place . Thailand does have that but it became oversaturated ,tourists became bountiful then they forget how it became special ! To have a decent holiday in Thailand costs about the same as going on holiday in Europe these days ! Of course you can scrimp by eating off the street food vendors and staying in a guest house but that’s not really a holiday is it ?  

thailand  just isn,t value any more its a 3rd world country  with 1st world aspirations and prices.

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

thailand  just isn,t value any more its a 3rd world country  with 1st world aspirations and prices.

for those who are taxed through flesh till bone in their home countries Thailand prices / living cost are totally irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

for those who are taxed through flesh till bone in their home countries Thailand prices / living cost are totally irrelevant.

That is indeed one of the still remaining benefits. And I'm pretty sure it'll stay for a long time as the Thai oligarks don't want to pay any taxes either. 

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That is indeed one of the still remaining benefits. And I'm pretty sure it'll stay for a long time as the Thai oligarks don't want to pay any taxes either. 

we have something in common with the oligarchs! :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, bbi1 said:

What's the reason for why the Thai baht has been so strong for the past year?

Money exchange is yet a small part of it- when people ignore the attitudes with "farangs' (even though tourism supports many) and you insist upon dual pricing and all of the other rip-offs in Thailand, then eventually word gets out. And you have to figure out "why?" great marketing there..after all those Chinese tourists drowned, my first comeback (embassy-wise) would be ....are you <deleted> kidding me? yet somehow those idiotic "seaman" who contributed to the deaths somehow got a pass. and the Chinese Embassy should have told Thailand.....we are done. Lives mean nothing- especially when Beijing is involved. Pathetic. A Thai boat capsizes and how many Chinese are killed? People who came to Thailand on vacation, yet the scum bag owners of the boat get away with "murder". How <deleted> up- the Chinese embassy and the Thai whatever- both are stupid......non-eventual, and just wait for legal cause of action.

Idiots- mostly Thailand, but China acquiesced...so they are not only without balls to press anything, but Thailand remains a country with no equitable solutions.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:50 PM, webfact said:

Where are all the nice ones - like Americans - who spend cash and behave well!?

Yeah I wonder. Maybe the last 2 decades of driving them away with ridiculuous immigration requirements, blatant over charging and numerous scams had something to do with that.

Archived