Any Chalong oceanfront seafood restaurants without Chinese coaches?

steelepulse

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Don't think the OP mentioned fresh seafood. However, for location and service, good mixed menu, the Yacht Club is pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolutely don't agree.

Yes, location is good, but, no better than Kan Eang 2. Food is indifferent and expensive.

Great if you want to talk about boats all night long.

Absolutely don't agree.
Yes, location is good, but, no better than Kan Eang 2. Food is indifferent and expensive.
Great if you want to talk about boats all night long.

Kan Eang 2 service is abysmal, and the food (and service) not uop to Kan Eang@pier standards. When was the last time you were in the Yacht Club KB? I, and those I eat and drink with don't talk boats, and having eaten regularly in most Chalong eateries, is pretty hard to beat for selection and quality. Respect your views, however my comment are based on personal experience.

4 hours ago, sebastion said:

Kan eng 2 is good. Hardly any buses can get up that soi and it's relatively quiet.
Nice beach and cold draught beer.

Not the Kan eng pier. That the tourist trap.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Kan Eng 2 proudly presents lousy food, at least for my taste. I was invited for a Thai wedding party to that place and the food confirmed my impressions from previous visits. Thank you, but not for me... The beach was almost not there at night, and cold beer is nice but it's not everything.

Kan Eng 2 proudly presents lousy food, at least for my taste. I was invited for a Thai wedding party to that place and the food confirmed my impressions from previous visits. Thank you, but not for me... The beach was almost not there at night, and cold beer is nice but it's not everything.

Thai food is thai food.

Their seafood is fresh and inexpensive.

Freshly shucked oysters at 30 baht each are great. I eat a dozen every time.

If you don't like the taste of a dish, send it back to the kitchen. They happily replace it if it's not up to your standard.

You can't judge the food from a wedding party. That's dependant of budget.

Mass produced buffet style food is always bad.

5 hours ago, sebastion said:

I and many others find the chef an obnoxious ahole and don't return.

So your potentially defamatory post about the freshness of the food served there is actually about a personal dislike of the owner?  I have never found Kim to be anything other than friendly and gracious. Perhaps it's you.

You also seem to be going over board in promoting the other place, any connection there?

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

So your potentially defamatory post about the freshness of the food served there is actually about a personal dislike of the owner?  I have never found Kim to be anything other than friendly and gracious. Perhaps it's you.

You also seem to be going over board in promoting the other place, any connection there?

"You also seem to be going over board in promoting the other place, any connection there?"

He'd wish, this is one of the big players on the island.

My overall opinion  :

Parlai seafood, at the end of Soi Parlai at the root of the pier. Extensive menu, catering mainly to thai people, good quality.

Kaneang 2 : beautiful position, good menu, mainly thai people but also frarang.

Yacht Club : beautiful position, short menu half thai half western, catering only to foreign people (type of the kitchen accordingly)

Kaneang Pier : I completely agree with the opinion that it is a tourist trap.

Mor Mu Dong, almost at the end of Soi Parlai turn to the left and follow the road until it finishes (Board  with name only in Thai). Not oceanfront and very very simle, but very good quality.

Unfortunately it does not exist any more Tang Kae Restaurant, very big and wit many chinese coaches, but they were confined to the extreme left of the rstaurant, while the right side was very quiet. It had a long menu and some outstanding plates.

So your potentially defamatory post about the freshness of the food served there is actually about a personal dislike of the owner?  I have never found Kim to be anything other than friendly and gracious. Perhaps it's you. You also seem to be going over board in promoting the other place, any connection there?

I didn't mention the food. It's not bad at all and I quite enjoyed it. Can't say the same for him. He has rubbed many the wrong way, just ask around. He wasn't the owner when he arrived with the Australian wife. Not sure what the set up is down there now but while he is still their I'll sidestep the place.

If I had affiliation with the Kan eng group, why would I say one is a trap and one is good?

Think before you post.

"You also seem to be going over board in promoting the other place, any connection there?"

Exactly. I just said it's cheap and not a tourist trap unlike the parlai zone and Kan eng 2.

I have no affiliation. Just giving my opinion.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I second that - he is nice man, easy to talk to. Mind you he usually stays at the kitchen building whenever we are there. I talk with him in the car park on the way out.

I like KanEang@Pier.
Good food. Friendly service.Nice music. No noise.
I like their Miang, and the cotton fish (pla samlee) with mango salad.

Agreed. Far better food than KE2, and superior service. Good range of Japanese dishes also, I particularly enjoy the Teppanyaki beef. Not afraid to have their kitchen on full display also. We mostly eat there at lunchtime, but yes the music is pleasant in the evening (live mellow jazz style).

Agreed. Far better food than KE2, and superior service. Good range of Japanese dishes also, I particularly enjoy the Teppanyaki beef. Not afraid to have their kitchen on full display also. We mostly eat there at lunchtime, but yes the music is pleasant in the evening (live mellow jazz style).

I agree the food is better there but I can't stand paying service charge and twice the price for local oysters. 60 baht v 30 baht for same product.
I prefer they just factor the service into the food price.

I agree the food is better there but I can't stand paying service charge and twice the price for local oysters. 60 baht v 30 baht for same product.

Honestly can't remember paying a service charge, and often we're given an unasked for discount as well as complimentary desserts ( usually banana fritters and ice cream).

Another good place, though a little farther afield is Chayo, across the creek from Mor Mu Dong in Wichit. Live seafood in a riverside like location

I eat at both K2 and the Yacht club, enjoy both places, have never had a problem with the chef at the Yacht club.

Have eaten at K1 next to the pier enough times to know for sure that their food isn't better than K2's, K1's for tourist's and groups/wedding receptions ect.

Just had a very good lunch there today (KE@P). As I thought, there is no service charge, just the 7% government VAT. Attached is a cooy of our bill, note without asking they deducted 10% off the food part of the bill. I was going to have the Seafood Teppanyki however the Japanese food chef wasn't working today. Had 3 large Tiger Prawns in a white wine and cream sauce instead. I also noted from the menu that fresh oysters are 50 baht ealch, not 60.

20171205_131825.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, stevenl said:

Having a connection doesn't necessarily equate to ownership.

A connection may simply be a friendship or perhaps a girl or boyfriend working there.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, sebastion said:

I didn't mention the food. It's not bad at all and I quite enjoyed it. Can't say the same for him. He has rubbed many the wrong way, just ask around. He wasn't the owner when he arrived with the Australian wife. Not sure what the set up is down there now but while he is still their I'll sidestep the place.

If I had affiliation with the Kan eng group, why would I say one is a trap and one is good?

Think before you post.

You said their sea food wasn't fresh!

In my experience most expats here have had bad relationships in the past and I fail to see what anyone's personal life has to do with their restaurant business.

The OP was just asking about a place to eat, not inviting drama queens to express personal grievances.

Try to stay on topic!

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Having a connection doesn't necessarily equate to ownership.

A connection may simply be a friendship or perhaps a girl or boyfriend working there.

Yes, so? Being connected doesn't hurt.