Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Muggi1968

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Why  did you not go and say hello to anyone ?

Well SaneMax, it is NOT easy to walk into a reasonably crowded place, where everybody stares at you.  Then walk up to someone, " Hi ya kid, how you're goin'".  Of course I'm exaggerating, but it is not easy.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Well SaneMax, it is NOT easy to walk into a reasonably crowded place, where everybody stares at you.  Then walk up to someone, " Hi ya kid, how you're goin'".  Of course I'm exaggerating, but it is not easy.

According to the nurse at the clinic, the ladyboys take Zanax to reduce inhibitions. Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Just saying that if you go to a function and you dont make the effort to communicate with anyone else , you cannot really critisise anyone else for not trying to communicate with you .

On 11/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Depends on what you call "friends". ?

Drinking buddies?

Uh, why would you buy an apartment in a city that you don't know anyone? ?

When answering questions, I always like to go back to the false underlying premise. 

Maybe deep down he wants to get away from people .Well at least the ones he knew before .

11 minutes ago, anto said:

Maybe deep down he wants to get away from people .Well at least the ones he knew before .

I guess we will never know. After 67 posts he has not returned. Maybe just a troll. 

Hmmmm. Last post was #67. Now this one of mine comes in @#61

Edited by Dazinoz
Text added.

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

Thank you Nancy I will.  It's not that I particularly want new friends, it's just that I want to chat, serious or not, and spend a pleasant hour or so.  

Hom coffee, MoonMuang next to the green bank near SriPum Corner, loads of foreign guys sitting there every morning.

And the coffee isn't bad either at 25bht/cup.

On 30 November 2017 at 12:03 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Drinking buddies?

When answering questions, I always like to go back to the false underlying premise. 

You are dead right...sweet F all people you meet are true friends. Drinking buddies are just that, someone to talk to while you drink. 

50 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Hom coffee, MoonMuang next to the green bank near SriPum Corner, loads of foreign guys sitting there every morning.

And the coffee isn't bad either at 25bht/cup.

It's really good at Rimping for 50 baht  ( near Nawarat Bridge). Only problem is limited seating.

Not sure I want to meet foreign guys. IMHO my Kindle is better company.

On 30/11/2017 at 1:03 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Drinking buddies?

A friend could not pay the rent so I bought it cheap from him instead of letting the bank take it.
(40 % below market price)

2 minutes ago, Muggi1968 said:

A friend could not pay the rent so I bought it cheap from him instead of letting the bank take it.
(40 % below market price)

Sounds a fair enough reason to me. Try it out and if you don't like it try to sell and probably still make a profit even if you sell under market value.

Personally, unless I had a chance at a deal like that, I would not buy. I have been here 4 1/2 years and in my 5th house. Have moved for a variety of reasons but never needed to.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:00 PM, sanemax said:

Just saying that if you go to a function and you dont make the effort to communicate with anyone else , you cannot really critisise anyone else for not trying to communicate with you .

You make a good point...but I also understand what Gilly is saying.  I always find people who are overly friendly, or someone who just goes and starts conversations with random strangers, a bit, well, shall we say....creepy.

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You make a good point...but I also understand what Gilly is saying.  I always find people who are overly friendly, or someone who just goes and starts conversations with random strangers, a bit, well, shall we say....creepy.

Agree. If I go to a "group" function like CEC for the first time I would expect someone to come and welcome me. 

56 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Or trying to earn some money.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, sanemax said:

I usually find people are talking to those they know, and don't want others to butt in.

I know that because I can read certain body language signs.

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Gilly was a stranger there , are you saying that had anyone gone and spoken to her, you would have found that to be creepy ?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I usually find people are talking to those they know, and don't want others to butt in.

I know that because I can read certain body language signs.

Which meeting did you attend ?

If you were at the same meeting as Gilly, you could have gone and said hello and you would both then had not been on your own

Perhaps I had better make it clearer.  It wasn't a 'function', like a party.  Then I probably would have sailed in and started talking to someone.  It was Breakfast!!  Everyone was seated at tables eating, drinking and chatting.  I just felt that I couldn't walk up to a table and sit down.  But Nancy says that this type of situation has been changed as I was not the only one to talk about this. 

On 12/3/2017 at 5:42 PM, sanemax said:

Gilly was a stranger there , are you saying that had anyone gone and spoken to her, you would have found that to be creepy ?

It depends on the situation, of course.  A member welcoming a new member would certainly not be creepy.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I don't think so.  One was a broad statement, the other more specific.  But believe what you will.

In your post # 73 , you did reply to my post where I stated "at a function" and your reply was , well re read it for yourself

I think i was lucky when i first started coming to Chiang Mai 10 years ago, i met Western guys who became long term friends in bars and coffee shops. I also met a number of Thai ladies who i have known and kept in contact with over many years, either in bars, massage or Online.  Sadly most of my male friends have either moved away or died and there is much less reason to return now. I am not sure if it would be as easy to meet friends in CM starting afresh now.  Most of the ladies perhaps surprisingly are still around. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Gruff said:

I think i was lucky when i first started coming to Chiang Mai 10 years ago, i met Western guys who became long term friends in bars and coffee shops. I also met a number of Thai ladies who i have known and kept in contact with over many years, either in bars, massage or Online.  Sadly most of my male friends have either moved away or died and there is much less reason to return now. I am not sure if it would be as easy to meet friends in CM starting afresh now.  Most of the ladies perhaps surprisingly are still around. 

Not of much help to the OP, but if one isn't the sort that can just walk into any situation and make friends, or "needs" to have friends, perhaps Thailand isn't the place to be. It's difficult to find clubs or such like to cater to those of us not into drinking alcohol, playing golf or on a limited budget. Eg, I have no interest in hanging out in coffee shops on the off chance of finding someone that I MIGHT get on with. I have other things to do that I care about more. Which is not to say I would disregard the chance to make a friend if it presented itself.

On 11/29/2017 at 12:10 PM, Gillyflower said:

Sorry to be so incorrect with the title.  I have a friend who is deeply involved with them (it) and bores me solid.  So I switch off.  Wouldn't be seen dead in that, as I'm dead lazy.

555 Well finding social contacts takes effort and needs a starting point. I find The Hash  works well. Drop into most large cities in the world and have instant camaraderie. Somewhere to go on a weekend wander around and get some exercise see places tourists don't go.

But you are correct it is not for everyone. No airs and graces, no one cares about the participants social, financial, political, perceived intellectual  status. They basically only care how you participate and join in. The ones that don't fit in usually leave of their own accord.

I don't live in Chiang Mai but if I did decide to move there I wouldn't have to ask where to find friends. I'd simply turn up at the Hash. 

Edited by VocalNeal

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not of much help to the OP, but if one isn't the sort that can just walk into any situation and make friends, or "needs" to have friends, perhaps Thailand isn't the place to be. It's difficult to find clubs or such like to cater to those of us not into drinking alcohol, playing golf or on a limited budget. Eg, I have no interest in hanging out in coffee shops on the off chance of finding someone that I MIGHT get on with. I have other things to do that I care about more. Which is not to say I would disregard the chance to make a friend if it presented itself.

Good post.

The bottom line is that you have a life in Chiang Mai.

Family maybe, or a meaningful occupation.

So many farangs don't have anything worth getting out of bed in the morning for.

Family means everything here.

Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody.

Farang tao-nahn eng.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that meeting in a bar or coffee shop is not for everyone and in my home country (UK) and in most of Europe i would rarely go into a bar alone because i don't want to approach people cold and start chatting as  it is quite likely they don't want to.  Where i disagree though is that Chiang Mai is a much easier place to go to a bar or coffee shop and just start up a conversation. Maybe it is the girl in bar culture (where social intercourse generates income)  that actually generates more of this sociability that appears to also extend beyond the girlie bars.