Baby boy rushed to hospital after suffering burns from overturned "khao tom"

webfact

Baby boy rushed to hospital after suffering burns from overturned "khao tom"

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A seven month old boy was rushed to hospital with serious burns to his face and body after a skillet cooking boiled rice overturned at the family home.

Sawang Pratheep Sri Racha medics responded and found the child screaming in agony being cradled by mum "Orm", 23, and father "Montree", 28.

The child was taken to Somdej Praboromratchathewee Hospital in Sri Racha.

The mother told reporters later that she was cooking and went to use the bathroom. Her other child ran after her and hit a buggy containing the baby that then ran into the skillet.

She warned other parents never to leave your children alone for a minute.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-28

34 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Sound advice BUT also never leave food that is cooking , that is also how fires start . The mother was negligent and should be charged 

So how can the mother use the toilet without leaving the children for a short while?

It must be wonderful to be perfect and omnipotent to blame the mother and say that she should be charged.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

poor little fella ....  he will have scars for his life now all because of a few seconds alone  ..

very sad .... 

Hopefully he's young enough that he'll heal with no scars.

I recall my IDIOT mother letting my little 5 year old brother fry his own eggs.

Mom thought he was the cutest little thing, standing in a chair next to a hot skillet with bacon grease in it. The chair wobbled one day, and he went catch himself & yep, sure enough, hand plant into the frying pan.

Blistered the tar out of the little guy's hand. She was her FIFTH kid to boot.

One would think she would have known better, but obviously not.

Anyhow, he healed with no scars.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

So how can the mother use the toilet without leaving the children for a short while?

It's pretty simple. Either put the children somewhere safe or take them in the bathroom with you.

Leaving children alone near cooking food is never acceptable. It's incredibly stupid and dangerous. I'm not sure how you can defend someone who does.

I know many Thai people are poor and have limited education, but that's really no excuse. You can easily learn from other people's mistakes. This should be a wake up call for any Thais who currently do this, but I doubt it will be.

Thai people have many wonderful traits, but the inability to learn from the consequences of things that happen to them or other people is not one of them.

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's pretty simple. Either put the children somewhere safe or take them in the bathroom with you.

Leaving children alone near cooking food is never acceptable. It's incredibly stupid and dangerous. I'm not sure how you can defend someone who does.

I know many Thai people are poor and have limited education, but that's really no excuse. You can easily learn from other people's mistakes. This should be a wake up call for any Thais who currently do this, but I doubt it will be.

Thai people have many wonderful traits, but the inability to learn from the consequences of things that happen to them or other people is not one of them.

Or to anaylise and for see accidents,one reason the road toll is horrendous,Thai's live almost exclusivley for the moment no critical thinking is engaged as to action= re-action,i have seen this so many times,when it does go wrong they always seem to seek some one or something else to blame ,i have rarely encountered such a less introspective people.

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

It must be wonderful to be perfect and omnipotent to blame the mother and say that she should be charged.

You seem very good at asking questions but lack the ability to supply answers, and would rather have a go at those who do. Who else is there to blame other than a mother who left her child or cooking food unattended? It is hard with toddlers and one needs eyes in the back of one's head.  The error may only have been to leave the buggy near where the cooking was going on. Had she taken the toddler with her to the bathroom that may have worked. Charging her is a little much though, a lapse only.

Stuff happens and sadly this nipper got burned.

In other countries with much more rigorous accident prevention measures, kids drown in pools regardless of security fences and infants get tossed through windshields because child seats are improperly used. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision... that's where the 'eyes on the back of your head' comes from. Most mums have them.

Those on the Thai health & safety diatribe seriously need to relax and just focus on taking care of their own sh!t.

Edited by NanLaew

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

To be honest mate, it just don't work that way.

My mum had 6 children,  can't watch them all the time or take them in the toilet.

I pulled a kettle of boiling water over me,  when i was 18 months old.

i was very lucky it only got my feet and arms, i still have the scars today.

53 years latter,   i'm sure that accident still haunts my old mum to this day,

when she took her eye off me,  for a second and an electrical flex had fallen down and i pulled it.  Can't watch kids all day long.

Hope the little boy makes a full recovery.

Edited by stanleycoin

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm glad that this is only a Thai problem, affecting mostly poor people with limited educations from your experience.

My thought would call this a tragic accident brought about by a moment's lapse in attention which could, and does, happen in every country in the world, through every tier of society.

I do feel deeply saddened by the injuries to the child, but also have a certain empathy for the mother and her guilt brought about from a moment's distraction, probably knowing how wrong this mistake was. Almost certainly not a deliberate action.

This is a tragic accident...  Yes, the mum should have put the lock on the push chair, Yes, the mum should have moved the boiling food out of the way before leaving the room... But this is also a combination of terrible luck... Many of us have avoiding accidents through nothing other than good luck... It would be unfair to pass judgment. 

The thing with kids... anything can happen all the time....  its almost as if they try to injure themselves !!!! and we have to do so much to protect them from themselves. 

... We have to screw back our cabinets to secure them - although our son has never attempted to climb the cabinet he one day may. 

... We block all the plugs - although our son has never attempted to stick anything in the holes he one day may.  

... We don't allow our son in to the kitchen area at all - although he often tries to go in there.

... We lock the cupboard with chemicals in it - although our son never attempts to open it. 

... I've asked my Wife and the Maid to never leave anything cooking, but its  impossible never to be pulled away for a second or two (which is why my son is never allowed in the kitchen area). 

... If leaving hot items on the work top, push them back away from the edge, don't leave handles sticking out. 

... Don't leave kitchen knives in accessible areas....

ALL this precaution and my son will come screaming into the room and nearly knock himself out on the table !!!!.... 

It's impossible to protect our children against all of the dangers all of the time, we can apply a lot of common sense and do our best but we can't wrap them up in cotton wool as that could be damaging to the child development. 

Accidents happen and for the most part the lack of an accident often comes down to luck.

The Balcony in our Condo concerns me. Its locked, my son is not allowed out there without an adult and is disciplined if he attempts to go out on the balcony on his own. Fortunately the window to the balcony is rarely opened as the weather is too hot here. 

23 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Sound advice BUT also never leave food that is cooking , that is also how fires start . The mother was negligent and should be charged 

Ridiculous, it was an accident.  And fires aren't started in a pot of cooking rice and boiling water left unattended for a couple of minutes.

Edited by Just Weird

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Leaving children alone near cooking food is never acceptable. It's incredibly stupid and dangerous. I'm not sure how you can defend someone who does

"Leaving children alone near cooking food is never acceptable. It's incredibly stupid and dangerous. I'm not sure how you can defend someone who does."

She didn't leave him alone near cooking food, read the article, he was in a pushchair that was accidentally pushed into the stove by her other child.

Edited by Just Weird

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Leaving children alone near cooking food is never acceptable. It's incredibly stupid and dangerous. I'm not sure how you can defend someone who does."

She didn't leave him alone near cooking food, read the article, he was in a pushchair that was accidentally pushed into the stove by her other child.

What you have written describes her children being left alone near cooking food...

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You seem very good at asking questions but lack the ability to supply answers, and would rather have a go at those who do. Who else is there to blame other than a mother who left her child or cooking food unattended? It is hard with toddlers and one needs eyes in the back of one's head.  The error may only have been to leave the buggy near where the cooking was going on. Had she taken the toddler with her to the bathroom that may have worked. Charging her is a little much though, a lapse only.

Have you never left a toddler unattended at all? I have and I was very lucky. I have had 2 children in my life and it is totally impossible to watch a child 24/7 to the total exclusion of everything else. Even if you just turn around of receive a phone call or get distracted your child is unattended for that brief period and that is when accidents can happen.

If you are cooking as the mother was do you keep the child with you or in another room? What happens if you have to get something from the fridge or turn around to get something else. If the child is in another room do you know what they are doing?

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No it doesn't, it describes one child accidentally pushing another child in a wheeled pushchair into it, the pram could have been metres away.

Yes, that's children on their own near cooking food alright. Do you think "near" has to be withing 6 inches or something?

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Have you never left a toddler unattended at all? I have and I was very lucky. I have had 2 children in my life and it is totally impossible to watch a child 24/7 to the total exclusion of everything else. Even if you just turn around of receive a phone call or get distracted your child is unattended for that brief period and that is when accidents can happen.

If you are cooking as the mother was do you keep the child with you or in another room? What happens if you have to get something from the fridge or turn around to get something else. If the child is in another room do you know what they are doing?

Well actually I haven't but for other reasons than being busy.

If I have work done at the house, the Thai workers often want to bring their toddlers with them as they have little choice, although I discourage it. I have a pool and find myself keeping an eye out there as the parents don't watch them sufficiently, in my view.

Accidents are often a culmination of a few very small errors....

In the scenario from the OP, it sounds like the only person responsible is the mother struggling to make food while watching over 2 kids. We can not really be sure whether she was stressed or lapse.

Have you seen some of the Thai "kitchens"?  Small electric hot plates, electric cords all over, little counter top spaces, things cluttered every where.  They typically don't have full size electric stoves/ovens like most people in the USA have where the pots and pans are relatively high off the ground and won't get knocked down to the ground just because something bumped into the oven dor.