what is a " sterling account "

i have some extra cash at home in both eu and uk   ( from some cash work i done in the past )   i dont want this money lying about the house in a shoe box.       so can someone explain the sterling account please,  im with kasikorn bank now 4 yrs allready.   do i need open a new account ( ive no work permit or visa)     .

what fees are involved etc etc

cheers

jack

I opened up a sterling account with krongthai bank a while back, but shortly after closed it, it was PITY, you would transfer money from UK bank in sterling and deposit in Thailand in sterling, you could not have an atm card obviously, so it meant to draw money out would be a trek to the main branch of the bank where i had set the account up, then change to BHT which the first exchange seemed quite hefty can't remember now how much, but after that changing to BHT was free, in the end it just was'nt worth the hassle!

5 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I opened up a sterling account with krongthai bank a while back, but shortly after closed it, it was PITY, you would transfer money from UK bank in sterling and deposit in Thailand in sterling, you could not have an atm card obviously, so it meant to draw money out would be a trek to the main branch of the bank where i had set the account up, then change to BHT which the first exchange seemed quite hefty can't remember now how much, but after that changing to BHT was free, in the end it just was'nt worth the hassle!

i want hide some money ( legal money )

10 minutes ago, Montnoveau said:

Can you please enlighten me why?

Well the sterling account would be in sterling, ATM machines in Thailand do not have the option to withdraw in sterling or any other currency, plus the ATM machines would not have the ability to convert sterling to BHT. so no ATM card, hence the trek to the main bank outlet, where the account was opened to accomplish this!

Edited by maxcorrigan
clarify a couple of points

3 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Well the sterling account would be in sterling, ATM machines in Thailand do not have the option to withdraw in sterling or any other currency, plus the ATM machines would not be able to convert sterling to BHT. so no ATM card, hence the trek to the bank to accomplish this!

Ah, but of course. Suddenly it became very clear :)  No GBP in Thai ATM :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, maxcorrigan said:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to keep stirling. It is falling like a lead zeplin. It is better to convert it to Thai baht and keep it in a normal thai bank account.

In any event a Stirling account will not help with the Euros

Just now, ResandePohm said:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to keep stirling. It is falling like a lead zeplin. It is better to convert it to Thai baht and keep it in a normal thai bank account.

In any event a Stirling account will not help with the Euros

Sterling has been quite stable over the last few years , always hovering around the 43 Baht mark

It was also about 43 Baht eight years ago , although it did rise to 55 Baht a few years ago for a few months, then dropped back to 43 Baht .

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Sterling has been quite stable over the last few years , always hovering around the 43 Baht mark

It was also about 43 Baht eight years ago , although it did rise to 55 Baht a few years ago for a few months, then dropped back to 43 Baht .

Any Brits recall the glorious summer of 2004?

2004-gbp-thb-exchange-rates-graph.png.d5e02767cf604c0cf0ed279c0843b3cc.png

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Relevant to what?

As to whether Sterling is stable or fluctuating .

It was stated that Sterling is falling fast , the reality that its been stable for a number of years

Sterling is at roughly the same rate today , as it was eight years ago

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You must know of a different Sterling then.

https://www.currency-converter.org.uk/currency-rates/historical/table/GBP-THB.html

5a430dca14eec_gbprate2009.JPG.912354b13a9f9393f1d0a6ad70043971.JPG

If you had read my post above , number 16 , you will see that I wrote that Sterling did rise to 55 Baht for a while and then dropped back down again .

I didnt write that in post number #20, because I had already written in in post #16 .

I do wish that people would read previous posts , before replying

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you had read my post above , number 16 , you will see that I wrote that Sterling did rise to 55 Baht for a while and then dropped back down again .

I didnt write that in post number #20, because I had already written in in post #16 .

I do wish that people would read previous posts , before replying

I would like people would stop posting pure drivel.

theis is what your wrote in post #16

" It was also about 43 Baht eight years ago , although it did rise to 55 Baht a few years ago for a few months, then dropped back to 43 Baht "

The Pound has never been 43 Baht, or even near that rate until last year.

Here you can check back till 2007, please show me where you see an exchange rate below 45

http://www.x-rates.com/average/?from=GBP&to=THB&amount=1&year=2007

On 12/27/2017 at 9:58 AM, sanemax said:

As to whether Sterling is stable or fluctuating .

It was stated that Sterling is falling fast , the reality that its been stable for a number of years

Sterling is at roughly the same rate today , as it was eight years ago

Ah well, it was VERY relevant to me back then as I built the mansion, bought a Harley and kept a couple of fillies in the stable.

On 27/12/2017 at 8:43 AM, sanemax said:

Sterling has only hovered around the 43 mark since the Brexit vote in 2016.  Prior to that it always hovered at around 50 and above since the glory days of the high 60s.  Only once, prior to the Brexit vote, Sterling blipped down to the mid 40s in 2013

Edited by SooKee