Minivan driver takes security man all the way home - under the wheels of his van

webfact

3 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

Let me explain it for you. The driver is quoted as saying that he went over something. He check behind him but nothing was amiss. 

If he went over something then checked behind him and nothing was there, didn't it occur to him that maybe the thing he went over was stuck under the van?

Does that help you to understand. why he would necessarily know there was something under the van?

Glad to be of service. :-)

I often know if I have caught up a plastic shopping bag under my car. This was a whole body. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

Let me explain it for you. The driver is quoted as saying that he went over something. He check behind him but nothing was amiss. 

If he went over something then checked behind him and nothing was there, didn't it occur to him that maybe the thing he went over was stuck under the van?

Does that help you to understand. why he would necessarily know there was something under the van?

Never hit a rock, lump of timber or similar while driving and it hits underneath making quite a bit of noise, on looking behind you don't notice anything and from experience you put it down to it being what it is, something laying on the road. But  of course maybe you're a bar stool driver and never drive a car. 

Hope that clarifies the drivers comment for you and if more assistance is needed, just let me know. 

4 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Impossible not to know something was trapped under the van. Whenever I get something trapped under my car like rubbish or a small tree branch. I know immediately something is there and stop to investigate Was the van driver checked for alcohol and drugs ? maybe he dozed off at the wheel and didn't see the motorcyclist .

Also a strange thing for the police to say that there was no damage to the van or motorcycle . Did the motorcycle just overturn on its own and then the rider lay down in the road for the van driver to ride over him ? THAT scenario is just as ridiculous as the police statement

The guy probably just fell off his bike. Chances are that he had no helmet  so hit his head on the road. Probably dead before  the van ran over him..

But the driver never saw a body on the road ???  Wonder if he would have seen a buffalo or an elephant  , what size does an object on the road have to be before he would see it ???

6 hours ago, zakk9 said:

A 72 year old minivan driver who isn't able to see that there's a human body, dead or alive, in the road ahead of him? Sounds safe to me  :sad:

....& I bet there isn't a dashcam or it isn't working :shock1:

Edited by evadgib

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Would you like to explain a little further on your comment as to why he would necessarily know there was someone jammed under the front of the van. Very doubtful the poor bugger was calling out, and very unlikely it would impede the driveability of the van. 

I had my tracking adjusted this morning and could feel the difference immediately :saai:

Edited by evadgib

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am stunned that someone could travel that far and not realise there was something under the vehicle. You would have been able to hear it and the drag would slow the vehicle significantly. I sure hope it turns out the poor fella was dead before he collected him, because that would be a horrible way to go.

Maybe the old van driver had been drinking.

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Last week the doctor, now this irresponsable driver. What horror story next ?  Are people going crazy or are some plainly stupid ?

RIP to the victim and his family.

In Thailand sadly many many more than 'some'. Dont underestimate the level of 'stupidity' here due mainly to the appalling education system.

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Dear oh dear, what a tragic and horrendous way to die.

Hard to believe he drove 3 kilometres with the body underneath, and did not notice anything untoward.

R.I.P. Prasert. 

Plus did not stop to get out of the van to find out the unusual noise and bumps. Brain dead or what?

6 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Impossible not to know something was trapped under the van. Whenever I get something trapped under my car like rubbish or a small tree branch. I know immediately something is there and stop to investigate Was the van driver checked for alcohol and drugs ? maybe he dozed off at the wheel and didn't see the motorcyclist .

Also a strange thing for the police to say that there was no damage to the van or motorcycle . Did the motorcycle just overturn on its own and then the rider lay down in the road for the van driver to ride over him ? THAT scenario is just as ridiculous as the police statement

It appears that there was no collision between the minibus and the motorbike. There is no sign of damage to indicate a collision. How come the security guy was laying on the road and his motorbike close by.

I'm now 73 and there is no way that I would even think about ever going back into a profession driving job especially carrying passengers. He should not be allowed to drive buses again

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

You mean that you will not feel any difference in the car handling if you got a human being under the car for 3km??? If you don't do that you are either stupid or drunk or a complete idiot who should not be allowed to drive a minivan.

"you are either stupid or drunk or a complete idiot who should not be allowed to drive a minivan."

And your answer is unnecessarily impolite rude:coffee1:

7 hours ago, johncat1 said:

the police in this instance have found their easy way out and that is that

6 minutes ago, johnarth said:

the police in this instance have found their easy way out and that is that

Don't know about that, it could be a case that something happened with another vehicle and the security guard a bit earlier and the other vehicle left the scene which is typical which left the guard laying on the road, but the old man should have seen him

3 hours ago, samjaidee said:

He recalled seeing an overturned motorcycle earlier and went over something but checking in his rear view mirror did not see a problem.

Just imagine the outcry if this had been a much younger driver in a sports car and he'd hit a policeman on a motorbike and dragged him just 3 metres. He would be facing the full blast of Thai justice.:sick:

Edited by ratcatcher

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

You mean that you will not feel any difference in the car handling if you got a human being under the car for 3km??? If you don't do that you are either stupid or drunk or a complete idiot who should not be allowed to drive a minivan.

Or when was your last ride in a van maintained by a 70 year old here? (Rhetorical) 

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It appears that there was no collision between the minibus and the motorbike. There is no sign of damage to indicate a collision. How come the security guy was laying on the road and his motorbike close by.

I'm now 73 and there is no way that I would even think about ever going back into a profession driving job especially carrying passengers. He should not be allowed to drive buses again

What has this unfortunate event have to do with his age and driving. I'm more than 73 and more than capable of driving a van, fully licenced and certified in Australia to drive heavy vehicles - although not allowed in Thailand and no need anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

What has this unfortunate event have to do with his age and driving. I'm more than 73 and more than capable of driving a van, fully licenced and certified in Australia to drive heavy vehicles - although not allowed in Thailand and no need anyway. 

I have a current MC and HB Australian License and I retired when I was 68 but in a country like Thailand there is no way I would drive a public passenger vehicle for a living at my age, It has shown that he is lacking something not to see a fully grown mans body laying on the road and he said he felt something, then why did he not stop and get out and check to see what he felt? So it is time for him to hang up his public passenger bus driving and stick to his private driving.

It has been known for Thai drivers to react to a problem by simply carrying on as if it didnt happen, or hoping it will go away; clearly, it didn't.  It does sound like the security guard was the victim of an earlier incident, or perhaps just had a heart attack while riding.  What a gruesome story!

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have a current MC and HB Australian License and I retired when I was 68 but in a country like Thailand there is no way I would drive a public passenger vehicle for a living at my age, It has shown that he is lacking something not to see a fully grown mans body laying on the road and he said he felt something, then why did he not stop and get out and check to see what he felt? So it is time for him to hang up his public passenger bus driving and stick to his private driving.

I agree fully about his reticence to stop and check under his van, but am curious as to why you think he should hang up his public bus driving and stick to his private driving.

He was only driving a van, ie a big car and not a bus in reality, but that aside this incident could have happened no matter if he was driving the public or just himself [as was the case anyway.]

2 hours ago, pieeyed said:

So how many meters before you notice that your steering is not working right

Thank you!!

i dont know HOW people can try to explain this away as some kind of casual oversight. Its just unbelievable!!

but then these same people use words like 'driveability'... LMFAO!!