Opening a Thai bank account.

It can sometimes be a bit confusing if one is under the benefit of the visa waive program that includes most western nations,  a regular tourist visa delivered by a Thai Consulate abroad, or a Visa obtained on arrival. Visa waivers may have some trouble to open the account, but not sure for the others. It also depends mainly on the branch as things can drastically change within the same bank but from branch to branch. I have friends on visa waive who got accounts opened by introduction of the real estate developper with whom they purchased property. Best thing is to hop down in person and try your luck !

Edited by observer90210

15 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

Generally the Bank requires a Work Permit.... no Work Permit, no bank account.....

If you have minimum 1 million baht, try Citibank on corner Asoke and Sukhumvit

I've never had a work permit and have an account at Bangkok Bank. I opened the account when I was here, either on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, can't recall which. Admittedly that was a number of years ago.

Greater chance of success if you try bank branches  that are likely to have a significant number of farang customers already.

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

I have 3 bank accounts here, I’ve never had a WP

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No need for a work permit!  I opened a Thai bank account with Bangkok bank in 2011on a tourist visa no problem. But things might have changed since then. I was told if one bank refuses just go to the next eventually one will accept. 

it is easy to open a bank account with bkk bank in pattaya-- if a local business person accompanies you -they dont need to be thai.

prior to doing that, i approached several banks in bkk-- all tried to create too many hurdles.

since opening the account, i have found bkk very co-operative and efficient to deal with

Just asked this from Bangkok Bank the other week, when having issues with my current bank account.

To open a bank account with Bangkok Bank, a foreigner needs a residence certificate from Immigration, together with a valid passport.  No other requirements.

When I told the assistant manager of a branch in Pattaya that I am on a 30 day visa exemption and thus unable to get a residence certificate from immigration, but am an existing customer of BB, she told me that an exeption to the certificate requirement could be done if the branch manager will vouch for me. That would require purchasing a 1-year insurance policy (I do not know what that includes) for 5900 thb. Then 300 for an ATM card and a 500 thb minimum deposit on the account. Should I have had 6700 thb loose change on me, the account would now be open.

Go to Bangkok Bank. All you need is your passport, tourist visa and very important - an international driving license which you can obtain very easily from your home country. For those people who have no work permits they only really require your international driving license.

I opened a savings account in 2016 at the Bangkok Bank with a tourist visa. A Thai national has to 'recommend' you. Was quite a simple procedure. I don't have an International Driving License.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/default.aspx

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport
  • A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
    • Embassy or international organization
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
Edited by ravip

I open an account on Exemption visa at krungthai  bank passbook Visa card six months after when I came back cannot withdraw my money at ATM go my branch new policy they ask me to close say I need work permit or oA visa retirement 

I have 2 bank accounts here. One was on a tourist visa, other was on a non B visa. Never a work permit. But will need a lease agreement, certified copy of your passport from embassy, passport, and cash to put in. The more the better. Thr banks are Bangkok Bank and Krungsri. Krungsri was by far more helpful and easier to work with. 

I have often wondered how people are able to get retirement visas with the obligatory 800000 baht in a Thai bank account if they have been on a tourist visa and unable to open a bank account. There obviously has to be a way of doing it or you would never be able to show that you have the required amount in a Thai bank account for a visa.

I have two bank accounts, one in Bangkok and the other in Pattaya. I opened them both with just my passport and he hotel address where I was staying at the time. When I need paperwork, passbooks, replacement cards I go the the nearest branch with the old cards/books and my passport. I have never had any problems.

When I opened my Kasikorn Bank account in 2010, all that was required was my passport and an address. K Bank was recommended at that time by others on this forum, but it was said that it varied from branch to branch depending whether the manager was farang friendly.

Bangkok Bank gave me a savings account with ATM card against a tourist visa only 3 years ago.

14 years ago they gave me a foreign currency account (US$) against a tourist visa, although I was told that I should have had a WP for that.

I opened a KTB account with ATM card 4 months ago with only a Thai drivers licence.

Edited by Tofer
Info

4 hours ago, timendres said:

If you are from the US, then you will have an even higher hurdle to clear, and Thai banks now very much dislike opening accounts for US citizens. Be prepared to fill out a W-9 if they are willing to work with you.

Obviously in from the US. Had no problems opening an account in June. I was on my 30 day extension of my 60 day visa.. as stated above. Resident certificate passport and purchase of insurance... Yes w 9 but asked if they sent it to the embassy. They said no, just toss it in a drawer. I make monthly transfer from US never any issues...

4 hours ago, Foozool said:

You just need a letter from your consulate that will cost you $50 if you are a US citizen.

?????  I am an American & also have 2 bank accounts, one in Pattaya and one in Bangkok  -  both on tourist visa's - never got any letter from the Consulate.

Edited by TunnelRat69

13 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

?????  I am an American & also have 2 bank accounts, one in Pattaya and one in Bangkok  -  both on tourist visa's - never got any letter from the Consulate.

How long ago did you open those accounts ?

2 years ago I tried many banks in different areas in BKK, the only I heard was : work permit or consulate letter. 

Why don't you share it with others and show the OP the branch that you opened your accounts ❗️

Edited by Foozool

1 minute ago, Foozool said:

How long ago did you open those accounts ?

2 years ago I tried many banks in different areas in BKK, the only I heard was : work permit or consulate letter. 

Why don't you share it with others and show the OP the branch that you opened your accounts ❗️

The SCB account has been opened over four years, so maybe  not relevant to your question, but the Bangkok Bank was opened in June this year at the Emporium branch  -  I just told them I needed the account to deposit money monthly,  -  I opened that one to get my Social Security check deposited directly there thru the branch in New York.  Was told another ruse is to tell them you need the account to have money sent in to purchase a condo.   The Emporium and Ekamai branches deal with a lot of foreigners and don't seem to have a lot of red tape.  Americans still have to sign the W-9 form for the IRS, but she says it is only for the file.  You'll need passport, copy visa, TM-30, address, phone number.

The easy answer is yes. I believe there are 3 banks who will do this, one of which is Kasikorn Bank. I'm from the U.K. on a 6 month tourist visa & last month Kasikorn Bank opened my savings account giving me a bank book, internet banking & ATM card. You need a signed copy of your passport & visa, together with a letter of residency from Immigration.....along with some funds to deposit. No embassy certification required although the branch had me wait a half hour while they confirmed with Bangkok Head Office that everything they were doing was correct.