Thai govt introduces ‘Miss Pinky’ mascot of ‘unity’ who will tell you what not to do

webfact

Thai govt introduces ‘Miss Pinky’ mascot of ‘unity’ who will tell you what not to do

By Coconuts Bangkok

cc.jpg

Photo: Sanook

When the theme songs and poems of the prime minister failed to rid the nation of political differences, Thailand’s military government came up with a new approach — a much cuter one — to create bonds between Thai people.

The Ministry of Defense introduced “Nong Kiewkoi,” which translates to “Miss Pinky,” to the press yesterday as a national mascot of “unity.” Defense spokesman Lt. Gen. Kongcheep Tantrawanich said he hopes Miss Pinky will encourage unity between Thai people and build “conscience in what to do and what not to do.”

Yikes. “The government and the private sectors will start projects to encourage unity. We will continuously launch activities,” he said.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-govt-introduces-miss-pinky-mascot-unity-will-tell-not/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-11-30

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

Defense spokesman Lt. Gen. Kongcheep Tantrawanich said he hopes Miss Pinky will encourage unity between Thai people and build “conscience in what to do and what not to do.”

and the pity here is that people, the originators of this and like foolishness, Really Believe they will work

The really scary thing is she looks rather like my wife. It's the hair style, tattooed eyebrows, boater hat with the pink bow (which she wears for gardening) and the ever open mouth (no, not for that, for giving me an ear bashing).

A simple solution for unity, would be if the <deleted> at the top were to stop stealing all the money.

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

The Army Has A New Mascot. Run For Your Lives.

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQv  

Defense spokesman Kongcheep Tantravanich receives a gesture of friendship from Nong Kiew Koy at Wednesday’s news conference. Image: Sutima_VoiceTV21‏ / Twitter

BANGKOK — A mascot designed by the defense ministry to promote national reconciliation has instead creeped out social media.

Unveiled Wednesday, Nong Kiew Koy, or “Pinky Finger Girl,” is a smiling girl in overalls with her pinky finger extended, a Thai gesture of mending friendship.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2017/11/30/army-new-mascot-run-lives/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-30

''How did they come up with Miss Pinky? First off, the government views females as the “non-violent gender” while a pinky finger is a symbol of friendliness.

The big heart on the front of her dress reflects how Thai people’s hearts unite in one, according to Voice TV.''

''a pinky finger is a symbol of friendliness.''?

Since when?

Who comes up with these ideas, please tell me they don't get paid for them...

Is this in response to the PR disaster that was the PMs mobile cabinet trip down south.

Maybe Miss Pinky can go  can go and tell the demonstrators from Thepa District all about national unity. Im sure they will be assuaged. 

As long as she doesn't compose songs, gives lengthy sleep-inducing monologues on TV every Friday evening, talks to frogs too often or twerks too much, I am all for "Miss Pinky."

On the other hand, if "unity" is supposed to be achieved through "activities" conducted by a ridiculous rubber-head mascot that actually should rather belong into a kindergarten or a kid's theme park, then I cannot help but feel that our national leaders are little more than 7-year-olds disguised in adult bodies. But that's me.    

Edited by Misterwhisper

Reminds me of when I was a five year old. If we had fallen out with a friend and wanted to make up with them, we would link "pinky" fingers and chant "Make up, make up, never do it again, if you do you'll get the cane!" I guess if Miss Pinky fails, the big stick or "cane" will follow!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Miss Pinky is a serious challenger for the top spot in the "Hall of Fame of Stupid Ideas". Most of the prime spots are presently held by TAT tourist promotion ideas. 

There is no holding back the infantility of this government. What hope has this country got of ever growing up?

22 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

As long as she doesn't compose songs, gives lengthy sleep-inducing monologues on TV every Friday evening, talks to frogs or twerks too much and often, I am all for "Miss Pinky."

On the other hand, if "unity" is supposed to be achieved through "activities" conducted by a ridiculous rubber-head mascot that actually should rather belong into a kindergarten or a kid's theme park, then I cannot help but feel that our national leaders are little more than 7-year-olds disguised in adult bodies. But that's me.    

I think it is more of an indication of how they view their populace.

Is Miss Pinky for real? I mean is there someone inside, like a mascot, or is it just a puppet? And is there just one; or loads.

Is it a remote control thing? If so I'm sure my daughter would like one for Christmas.

Has she got any underarm or lower-leg hair?

So much intrigue!