Boyfriend learns hard way not to intervene in catfight

Rimmer

Boyfriend learns hard way not to intervene in catfight

image.png

PATTAYA:--A Phetchaburi man who stepped into a catfight to defend his girlfriend got stabbed for his troubles.

Paramedics arrived on Soi Korphai 4 around 4 a.m. Nov. 24 to find Charoen Aksornarong, 26, lying in a pool of blood, stab wounds to his neck and ribs.

His friend, Thanapat Pong­wilai, 27, told police that Charoen’s unidentified girlfriend got in a fight with another woman, who quickly got the upper hand.

The girlfriend called on Charoen to help her. Her foe responded in kind and quickly it turned into a melee of four people. During the fracas, Charoen got stabbed and the assailants fled the scene.

The victim’s girlfriend escaped with just some bruises and is helping police identify the attackers.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-12-01

Well, it's damned if did, damned if he didn't by our commentards as usual here.

If he didn't try to help his girlfriend who was being beaten up then he would have been roundly condemned here, esp by our many tough guy blowhards, as another worthless Thai coward--a farang would've jumped in and helped, durn tootin'. If he does jump in, then he's condemned as an idiot--a quality farang, so much wiser than a Thai, wouldn't have bothered to help his girlfriend but merely watched her being beaten up.

Everything seems to end violently here ................ hot tempers & flash point situations are commonplace. It's sad .... I stay home because of all the hostility around in town now. As soon as I can sell my house I'm gone .... big mistake for me retiring here. Can't see it improving any, which is a great shame.

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

Everything seems to end violently here ................ hot tempers & flash point situations are commonplace. It's sad .... I stay home because of all the hostility around in town now. As soon as I can sell my house I'm gone .... big mistake for me retiring here. Can't see it improving any, which is a great shame.

Bye.

Depending how long you have been away from the old country,  you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.  The world has become more violent generally.

Or perhaps it has always been violent but it is just more visible now with instant media access.  I remember my dad and his 5 brothers putting the old style razor blades into the front of their shoes.  I guess that would have done some serious damage to someone's shins but the mass media wasn't around to report on it back then.  

Ignorance, as is said,  is bliss. 

Edited by tryasimight

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Well, it's damned if did, damned if he didn't by our commentards as usual here.

If he didn't try to help his girlfriend who was being beaten up then he would have been roundly condemned here, esp by our many tough guy blowhards, as another worthless Thai coward--a farang would've jumped in and helped, durn tootin'. If he does jump in, then he's condemned as an idiot--a quality farang, so much wiser than a Thai, wouldn't have bothered to help his girlfriend but merely watched her being beaten up.

Who writes this crap for the Pattaya Mail anyway? "fracas", "melee", "her foe responded in kind", "boyfriend learns the hard way". He's trying to dramatize the event by using oddball adjectives and expressions that few people use in everyday English... or just wants to appear intelligent with an amazing command of the English language.

This reporter is suggesting that if some nasty bitch attacked my wife I should stand by and enjoy the show? How stupid is that? I would, without hesitation, step in to protect my wife (or girlfriend). That doesn't mean I would start attacking the female "foe", but certainly, I would stand between them to make sure my wife is not injured. Sure, that might mean I'll take some scratches, but better me than my wife.

He didn't learn anything the hard way. He was just unlucky that the "foe" had some nasty friends with knives. He did the right thing and was very unlucky.

2 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Bye.

Depending how long you have been away from the old country,  you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.  The world has become more violent generally.

Or perhaps it has always been violent but it is just more visible now with instant media access.  I remember my dad and his 5 brothers putting the old style razor blades into the front of their shoes.  I guess that would have done some serious damage to someone's shins but the mass media wasn't around to report on it back then.  

Ignorance, as is said,  is bliss. 

Nah, the world hasn't become more violent... overall it's much more peaceful than it has been for 600 years... We don't know about before that, but it could be the most peaceful period for millennia. 

https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace/

With reporters in Pattaya looking for any excuse to report violence to fill up news columns, it may appear that way.

Back at home in Australia my local community has become way less violent over the past 20 - 30 years. 

10 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

note to self.....dont be tempted to play the white knight

Would you really stand by and watch while someone beats up (or seriously injures, or kills) your partner? Maybe you'd just turn around and run away? There's every chance the victim's girlfriend may have ended up with the knife injuries.

The victim here just did what any normal person would do if their partner was attacked. There's a lot of crazy girls around here high on yaba just waiting to pick a fight.

Another fight involving people In their 20s, the time when their sex drive and egos are really

high. Now it seems that a lot pack a knife at all times in case they have to be cowards and

use their macho weapon to wound someone that they are having a fight with.

What a world! It isn't only Thailand that is getting more violent, I read news stories almost  in

every country where people  have violent encounters.

Geezer

9 hours ago, Daveyh said:

bye ...  don't forget to write ... :shock1:

11 hours ago, Daveyh said:

I can understand your feelings

This place can be a disappointment not the paradise we all hoped for, we were naive I guess

But as someone said, our own countries will have gone down hill too

My "now" golden rule is 

Avoid mixing with people I would never have mixed with in my life in my own country

We are all a "Target" here

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So....Back to Bognor Regis  then....?....:omfg:

Put it for sale at a realistic price and your bags will be packed in a jiffy.

Viewed an ad for a motorcycle and side car (25,000 thb maximum) for 50,000 thb in the classified forum.

Shameless price gouging.

On 12/2/2017 at 6:24 AM, lamyai3 said:

No good deed goes unpunished. 

Do you think protecting your partner from harm is a "good deed"? In my world, it's a responsibility. I pity your partners.

Edited by tropo

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Do you think protecting your partner from harm is a "good deed"? In my world, it's a responsibility. I pity your partners.

Of course it's a responsibility, it's also an act of decency and the right thing to do. However it seems you're unfamiliar with the expression and it's meaning.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_good_deed_goes_unpunished

19 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Of course it's a responsibility, it's also an act of decency and the right thing to do. However it seems you're unfamiliar with the expression and it's meaning.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_good_deed_goes_unpunished

I've very well versed in the meaning of that expression. I've been a victim to that many times over my period in SE Asia and could make a good contribution to the wiktionary explanation.

I was referring to your suggestion that protecting one's partner is a "good deed". You don't seem to understand the difference between responsibility and good deeds. Using your logic, feeding your children would a "good deed". Ironically people are often punished by their children.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I've very well versed in the meaning of that expression. I've been a victim to that many times over my period in SE Asia and could make a good contribution to the wiktionary explanation.

I was referring to your suggestion that protecting one's partner is a "good deed". You don't seem to understand the difference between responsibility and good deeds. Using your logic, feeding your children would a "good deed". Ironically people are often punished by their children.

I never suggested that protecting one's partner wasn't your responsibility, I stated quite clearly that it was. The phrase is a well worn proverb meaning how often something bad seems to befall a person doing the right thing. 

What I am getting from your replies, aside from an attempt to twist words and ascribe views to me that I don't hold, is a distinct lack of empathy for the guy who got stabbed. 

23 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I never suggested that protecting one's partner wasn't your responsibility, I stated quite clearly that it was. The phrase is a well worn proverb meaning how often something bad seems to befall a person doing the right thing. 

What I am getting from your replies, aside from an attempt to twist words and ascribe views to me that I don't hold, is a distinct lack of empathy for the guy who got stabbed. 

I have no idea how you managed to get that (no empathy for the guy who got stabbed) from what I said, but judging by your replies you're not understanding anything I'm saying... requiring more effort and additional replies.

You wrongly used an expression that doesn't apply here and now you're trying to justify its use. I already said I'm well aware of what it means and don't need to be schooled in its correct application.

How difficult is it to understand that most people consider that protecting their partner is a "duty" or "responsibility", not a "good deed". Protecting one's partner is expected in most normal relationships.

The reporter came across even more ignorantly. He suggests that one shouldn't protect one's partner. He's suggesting that the victim learned the hard way that he shouldn't have tried to protect his partner.

Edited by tropo

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have no idea how you managed to get that (no empathy for the guy who got stabbed) from what I said, but judging by your replies you're not understanding anything I'm saying... requiring more effort and additional replies.

You wrongly used an expression that doesn't apply here and now you're trying to justify its use. I already said I'm well aware of what it means and don't need to be schooled in its correct application.

How difficult is it to understand that most people consider that protecting their partner is a "duty" or "responsibility", not a "good deed". Protecting one's partner is expected in most normal relationships.

The reporter came across even more ignorantly. He suggests that one shouldn't protect one's partner. He's suggesting that the victim learned the hard way that he shouldn't have tried to protect his partner.

You're being way too pedantic - there's nothing wrong with the use of the phrase in the context I used it. The example you gave of feeding your children and taking responsibility for their upbringing only to have it thrown back in your face would be an equally valid use. 

It's a proverb, and like most proverbs it has a broad and general meaning. In this case "good deed" includes acts of kindness, duties and responsibilities - anything that falls under the category of a good action. Someone does the right thing, and something bad happens to them - isn't that precisely what happened here?

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

You're being way too pedantic - there's nothing wrong with the use of the phrase in the context I used it. The example you gave of feeding your children and taking responsibility for their upbringing only to have it thrown back in your face would be an equally valid use. 

It's a proverb, and like most proverbs it has a broad and general meaning. In this case "good deed" includes acts of kindness, duties and responsibilities - anything that falls under the category of a good action. Someone does the right thing, and something bad happens to them - isn't that precisely what happened here?

LOL> and you're accusing me of being pedantic and twisting words?

"no good deed goes unpunished" is not a proverb. It's an ironic, tongue-in-cheek saying (expression) that is not true because every good deed is not punished. In fact, more good deeds are rewarded than punished. It's on the same level as "Murphy's law". It is not a proverb or universal truth. People might use it when they have a very bad experience and it FEELS like anything good they do results in bad outcomes.