Careless drilling creates Sukhumvit water geyser

Rimmer

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Where does anybody say it only happens in Thailand?

Try to keep up.

20 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Only in Thailand...... no plan and safety first

I draw conclusion from the fact my water or electric is off multiple times a month, when that pretty much never happened in decades in my home country.

Of course you do. Don't forget your internet connection.

58 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

But you were responding to and quoted my post addressing the point of ONLY and then implied it might normally happen here as it "not normally" happens in other countries 'cause of the advance planning. It "not normally" happens in Thailand as well, you see. To imply otherwise simply adds to the bigotry I was calling out, unless perchance you have the evidence--which I invited you to present. Bash the Thai driving record vs other countries and you're on firm ground. The ruptured water main record, I don't see it.

Firstly, I am not bigoted. I haven't got statistical evidence to back up my opinion, but have worked in the water infrastructure industry for 20 years. I don't know of anyone during that 20 years causing a burst main doing connection work. I will just leave it that we disagree with each other. I am pretty sure that the basic cause of the burst was someone taking a short cut to get the job done quicker; whether they are on piece work or just fancied an early finish.

22 hours ago, JSixpack said:

The usual bigoted nonsense. GIYF.

Huntington Beach contractor hits water main, flooding street

Cockney geyser:

40ft jet of water erupts in middle of busy London street

The impromptu fountain burst from the pavement after a workman accidentally drilled through a water pipe

--http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cockney-geyser-40ft-jet-water-6338816

The difference is, in the west we on the whole tend to learn by our mistakes, where as here the same damn mistakes happen again and again.

18 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Exactly. And nothing else was said in the statement. It was the basis for a blanket condemnation of Thais and therefore bigoted, as I pointed out. Bigoted nonsense.

Hence you just want to bring up irrelevancy for the usual bashing purpose and arguing for that purpose.

This has absolutely nothing do with a contractor's hitting a water main, as is not unusual anywhere. You might have a case if you discovered that hitting water mains is SO much more common in Thailand. But you haven't discovered that, as "you don't know." Are we done?

by the same token you have not discovered that  UK contractors hitting a water main occur at the same or similar rate as it occurs in thailand. perhaps the rate is higher in the uk?

when a poster here makes the statement "only in thailand", it is a figure of speech and not a mathematical absolute.

10 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

The difference is, in the west we on the whole tend to learn by our mistakes, where as here the same damn mistakes happen again and again.

that only applies to road accidents since there are statistics but even though the same population and mindset are involved in other endeavors and have mishaps, without the supporting data you cannot say that LOL

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

that only applies to road accidents since there are statistics but even though the same population and mindset are involved in other endeavors and have mishaps, without the supporting data you cannot say that LOL

True. No statistics are to hand and I did make a somewhat generalised opinion, but I think there is a fair consensus of opinion that here either some sort of cure is made so that the same "accidents" don't occur again and are then forgotten about or the never mind attitude kicks in and nothing at all is done to stop the same mistakes happening. 

I always feel it's one step forward and two steps back here.  

1 hour ago, champers said:

I am pretty sure that the basic cause of the burst was someone taking a short cut to get the job done quicker; whether they are on piece work or just fancied an early finish.

Yep, could be. Which may be just as well be true of water main ruptures in any country.

Edited by JSixpack

41 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

But there are so many repeated water main ruptures in "the west" that you don't seem to have any evidence of the learning in this area and so are just continuing the superior, bigoted attitude. Hope that makes you feel better.

Edited by JSixpack

33 minutes ago, atyclb said:

by the same token you have not discovered that  UK contractors hitting a water main occur at the same or similar rate as it occurs in thailand. perhaps the rate is higher in the uk?

Certainly google search finds a lot more incidents happening in the UK. It's sufficient for me to prove my point--not yours--that workers' rupturing water mains doesn't ONLY happen in Thailand and that rupturing water mains isn't more "normal" here than in the UK or USA--merely two countries.

when a poster here makes the statement "only in thailand", it is a figure of speech and not a mathematical absolute.

This pathetic squirm merely adds that the use of so-called figures of speech--the poster hasn't said that it is--is in itself bigoted. Why should such a so-called figure of speech be needed? What IS the point without that "figure of speech" w/ regard to ONE ruptured water main? Suddenly, for no particular reason, I'm reminded of that big sign on Soi Lenkee years ago, "Get Your Chinky Here!"

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That is even worse than the water!

Yep, whenever it goes down, just look out your window and see a water main rupture. Now that you know that, or think you do, don't bother calling 3BB or whomever. Go direct to the source of it all: the waterworks.

22 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Yep, whenever it goes down, just look out your window and see a water main rupture. Now that you know that, or think you do, don't bother calling 3BB or whomever. Go direct to the source of it all: the waterworks.

You are right, it is usually those hopeless guys digging  up water mains every other day that keep cutting the cable.

Amazing really as it is 20ft up in the air.

44 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Certainly google search finds a lot more incidents happening in the UK. It's sufficient for me to prove my point--not yours--that workers' rupturing water mains doesn't ONLY happen in Thailand and that rupturing water mains isn't more "normal" here than in the UK or USA--merely two countries.

This pathetic squirm merely adds that the use of so-called figures of speech--the poster hasn't said that it is--is in itself bigoted. Why should such a so-called figure of speech be needed? What IS the point without that "figure of speech" w/ regard to ONE ruptured water main? Suddenly, for no particular reason, I'm reminded of that big sign on Soi Lenkee years ago, "Get Your Chinky Here!"

# in suggesting the rate of such a water main puncture (rupture would be a spontaneous occurrence) in the uk may be similar or higher i omitted another clue as i did not want to overburden you. the other clue has to do with rate of reporting such incidents in the uk. simply because you find more incidents on google without knowing reporting rates does dot cut the mustard. 

# "pathetic squirm" . LOL .    please check your blood pressure as it seems you take the tv forum way too seriously.  much of it has entertainment value, not life and death stuff.   bigotry has become the end all political correctness theorem.

assuming you have lived in thailand for a while have you not noticed anything that would suggest poor planning, decreased competence, little critical thinking, little logic or lateral thinking , challenged problem solving capability ??

3 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

True. No statistics are to hand and I did make a somewhat generalised opinion, but I think there is a fair consensus of opinion that here either some sort of cure is made so that the same "accidents" don't occur again and are then forgotten about or the never mind attitude kicks in and nothing at all is done to stop the same mistakes happening. 

I always feel it's one step forward and two steps back here.  

i agree 100% and my post was sarcasm. no need to explain

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

# in suggesting the rate of such a water main puncture (rupture would be a spontaneous occurrence) in the uk may be similar or higher i omitted another clue as i did not want to overburden you. the other clue has to do with rate of reporting such incidents in the uk. simply because you find more incidents on google without knowing reporting rates does dot cut the mustard.

You continue to erect this new straw man about rates in an irrelevant "argument" against a point I didn't make. Repeating it won't help your case. Meanwhile the point I did make still stands unrefuted, even though you don't like it.

# "pathetic squirm" . LOL .    please check your blood pressure as it seems you take the tv forum way too seriously.  much of it has entertainment value, not life and death stuff.   bigotry has become the end all political correctness theorem.

You wish, but actually laughing at your nonsense has been most entertaining. Do keep it up. Let's not pretend that you addressed that particular point, however, which would require answering the questions.

Sneering at the concept of bigotry doesn't at all diminish its meaning. And one must always consider the source of the sneer. :smile:

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

assuming you have lived in thailand for a while have you not noticed anything that would suggest poor planning, decreased competence, little critical thinking, little logic or lateral thinking , challenged problem solving capability ??

Didn't get enough bashing enjoyment earlier? Still not feeling superior enough? Why not just go get your little off-topic list from above and paste it in again? Might do it and we'll be done.

Meanwhile do pride yourself on all that impressive critical thinking, logic, and problem-solving ability you've demonstrated in the course of trying to prove that Thailand is the only country in which workers may rupture a water main. :biggrin:

Edited by JSixpack