Mike's Shopping mall construction

bkk6060

22 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Whats good about it?

what annoys me with homework are the dozen of store clerks standing at the entrance door just to say sawadeekrap.

i do not really see the advantage for that..

Those store clerks are not just there to say 'hi'.  They are there to assist you.  My partner and I often put them to work when we are looking for something.  I'd rather have too many employees than not enough--which was often the case in stores in the US. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Those store clerks are not just there to say 'hi'.  They are there to assist you.  My partner and I often put them to work when we are looking for something.  I'd rather have too many employees than not enough--which was often the case in stores in the US. 

For me its a sign of a poorly managed store..better fire 70% of them. Put just one staff at the door to say sawadeekrap instead of 12. Then hire a a philipino english teacher daily to give the remaining staff english lessons and product training pay the shrunken staff an improved salary. After some yeAr s they all can speak english and can even get other jobs due to gained english.. stand all day at some entrance door to gossip and to say hi with 10 guys is rubbish... better do how ikea does they always  learn train  their staff new things..

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

For me its a sign of a poorly managed store..better fire 70% of them. Put just one staff at the door to say sawadeekrap instead of 12. Then hire a a philipino english teacher daily to give the remaining staff english lessons and product training pay the shrunken staff an improved salary. After some yeAr s they all can speak english and can even get other jobs due to gained english.. stand all day at some entrance door to gossip and to say hi with 10 guys is rubbish... better do how ikea does they always  learn train  their staff new things..

This country seems to be the most overly staffed place I have ever seen.

Just walk around the malls 4 or 5 people in some small section with absolutely nothing to do.   Maybe 40 or 50 on a floor in the department stores.

A true efficient staffing would probably put this place at 25% unemployment. But, I guess when these places are paying them $1 an hour they can get away with it.

On 12/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Whats good about it?

what annoys me with homework are the dozen of store clerks standing at the entrance door just to say sawadeekrap.

i do not really see the advantage for that..

We'll have to add this whinge to the ever-growing Querulous Granny's List of Pattaya Evils. Maybe right after the runny fried eggs . . . .

15 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

We'll have to add this whinge to the ever-growing Querulous Granny's List of Pattaya Evils. Maybe right after the runny fried eggs . . . .

Hahaja they better look at Ikea.

fire 70%. Then Pay the remaining lot higher wages and l teach them daily english and product training. If u like 50 staff shop zombies staring at u only then its up to u!

16 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

On 12/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Mikes used to be the big cheese in Pattaya for many years, but have fallen on hard times. All the tourists being bused in every night to buy stuff have long gone.

Even Mike hotel can't afford to fix the lift that goes to ground level, which is why I didn't stay there again.

I think the tour buses are deserting business all over town. World Gem which used to make a killing selling overpriced jewelry to bused-in tourists is falling upon very hard times (according to a reliable source - someone who has been working there for many years).

if you look on all the sign post at the end of all road it says SOI not to worry city hall the government and myself must have it all wrong.sorry.

soi 2 is in north pattaya ... we are talking about the area near mike shopping at second road ... sai 2 ... I would recommend you to learn a few words thai ... then you understand the difference between soi and sai [emoji6]   

second road -> sai 2

the road between beach road and second road in north pattaya -> soi 2

everything clear ?

On 12/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, Colabamumbai said:

No more shortcuts. Entrance from Sai 2 has been closed for more than a month.

Does anyone know when the entrance to Soi 2 might reopen?  Like many others I also used Mike's primarily as a cooling short cut to get to/from Beach Road to 2nd Road.

2 hours ago, som69 said:

soi 2 is in north pattaya ... we are talking about the area near mike shopping at second road ... sai 2 ... I would recommend you to learn a few words thai ... then you understand the difference between soi and sai emoji6.png   

second road -> sai 2

the road between beach road and second road in north pattaya -> soi 2

everything clear ?

Correct—'course, if you're gonna use sai, you really should use song as well: sai song. But that would be an even higher leap ;). We better stick to 2nd Rd around here.

Correct—'course, if you're gonna use sai, you really should use song as well: sai song. But that would be an even higher leap [emoji6]. We better stick to 2nd Rd around here. 

you correct [emoji6] guess I have too many thai friends 

Well, I have seen worse ideas.  Big roof top pool. Plenty of room for a decent gym.  Presumably plumbing and electrical infrastructure in place already, at least by Thai Standards.  Might not be a bad investment idea.   I kind of will miss the old place.  Went to the pool a few times.  The food court was horrible.  The clothes, well, you all know what they had.  And as others have mentioned it was a convenient shortcut between beach and second road.  Gosh, I do miss the KISS restaurant.  Vacation in late January it looks like. Long over due

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Well, I have seen worse ideas.  Big roof top pool. Plenty of room for a decent gym.  Presumably plumbing and electrical infrastructure in place already, at least by Thai Standards.  Might not be a bad investment idea.   I kind of will miss the old place.  Went to the pool a few times.  The food court was horrible.  The clothes, well, you all know what they had.  And as others have mentioned it was a convenient shortcut between beach and second road.  Gosh, I do miss the KISS restaurant.  Vacation in late January it looks like. Long over due

U mean to say there is a quality difference between Mikes food court and the Kiss food restaurant? Imho its exactly the same quality. 

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

There is already a new high end gym Coco Fitness in place with great views of the bay.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, newnative said:

Apart from the ones standing at the door, lots stand around the store and completely ignore me unless I go right up to them, and then they either don't speak English ( in stores dealing with tourists ), or they have no idea about the things they are trying to sell.

I once saw store staff destroy a griller trying to work out how to remove the drip tray.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apart from the ones standing at the door, lots stand around the store and completely ignore me unless I go right up to them, and then they either don't speak English ( in stores dealing with tourists ), or they have no idea about the things they are trying to sell.

I once saw store staff destroy a griller trying to work out how to remove the drip tray.

I'm thinking I'd probably ignore, you.

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 5:35 AM, catman20 said:

if you look on all the sign post at the end of all road it says SOI not to worry city hall the government and myself must have it all wrong.sorry.

It's Sai Song. The signs are not wrong. Not sure what you're looking at. You may have seen a Soi 2 running off any road, even off of Sai Song.

There are many Soi 2's running off larger roads. There can be a Sukhumvit Soi 2 or Pratamnak Soi 2  or Thepprasit Soi 2 ... in Pattaya or Bangkok or wherever.

Big C is located at Soi 2 running off of Sai Song:

This address is located on the street of Pattaya Sai Song Soi 2 

5a96e9703bca1_saisong.jpg.d91873d628365e7627d269f0f49e0c5d.jpg5a96ea2844d11_saisong2.jpg.3ddf6f471be3d4ffb7f683053aaa8894.jpg

suk.JPG.98fcb4db3df7310ba3555ba546c22bb2.JPG

Tons of dough spent here..Patters is going to change..may end up looking like Las Vegas..Chinese/American style..Great investment potential if you have a spare billion Baht.

As a very low roller, I've had my 'chips' here.

Just now, talahtnut said:

Tons of dough spent here..Patters is going to change..may end up looking like Las Vegas..Chinese/American style..Great investment potential if you have a spare billion Baht.

As a very low roller, I've had my 'chips' here.

Also, across the street the tear down on the corner is about 3/4 complete.  Two new higher end high rise properties by Sansiri.

Not sure about Vegas but I agree.

If people think this place has changed now, just wait.  In 10 years it will be so different.  And it is still relatively inexpensive.  I bet prices will go up tremendously for everything. May force some to get out of town for good.

I guess this means an end to "Art Street" (More Tattoo Street these days) alongside Mike's.  There used to be some pretty good artists there as opposed to the basically paint by numbers guys there now.  

I had a pretty good business going for a while selling pet portraits I had done by several guys there who usually did a pretty nice job, making them look like real portraits rather than just copies of snapshots.  Had to give it up when my US partner went into another business.

Anybody know when Mike's was originally built?

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

I guess this means an end to "Art Street" (More Tattoo Street these days) alongside Mike's.  There used to be some pretty good artists there as opposed to the basically paint by numbers guys there now.  

I had a pretty good business going for a while selling pet portraits I had done by several guys there who usually did a pretty nice job, making them look like real portraits rather than just copies of snapshots.  Had to give it up when my US partner went into another business.

Probably sometime in the 80s.

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Also, across the street the tear down on the corner is about 3/4 complete.  Two new higher end high rise properties by Sansiri.

Not sure about Vegas but I agree.

If people think this place has changed now, just wait.  In 10 years it will be so different.  And it is still relatively inexpensive.  I bet prices will go up tremendously for everything. May force some to get out of town for good.

I think you're correct.  High rise development is really creeping towards soi Buakhow and I have little doubt that 10 years from now it will be barely recognizable from what it is today.

This will be especially true if the oft-promised retail developement of the old Excite Disco site ever gets off the ground.

15 hours ago, dddave said:

There are some pretty good artists just out of Patters, on the road to Jomtien, I bought an excellent V Gogh, to nail on the wall in the garage..I'm sure its better than the original.. but then I'm only a piss artist.

15 hours ago, dddave said:

Dont underestimate paint by numbers..

Archived