Does the 800k Baht for extension based on retirement have to come from outside Thailand.

13 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I am not aware of this.  The majority of this conversation seems to center on the best way to get your money into a Thai bank account.  Is this correct that as long as I apply for the O-A from the Thailand Consulate in Chicago, for example, I can simply provide them with my current US bank statement showing I've got 800,000 baht equivalent in USD?    

Correct.

This topic is dealing with applying for extensions of stay from local Immigration offices from within Thailand, not as in your case where you are applying for a Visa from your home Country.

9 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I am not aware of this.  The majority of this conversation seems to center on the best way to get your money into a Thai bank account.  Is this correct that as long as I apply for the O-A from the Thailand Consulate in Chicago, for example, I can simply provide them with my current US bank statement showing I've got 800,000 baht equivalent in USD?    

Correct you can show money in a US bank to apply for the OA visa.

10 minutes ago, madisongy said:

If I am interpreting this incorrectly, I have had a joint SCB savings account with a Thai national for about 10 years.  Would it be acceptable to make the transfer from my US account to this joint account for the purpose of satisfying the requirement?

Immigration will not accept a joint account to apply for an extension of stay. You could transfer it into the joint account and then open an account in your own name to transfer it into.

10 minutes ago, madisongy said:

1.  What do they need for "proof of retirement".   Not sure I have a formal letter from my employer.  I'm 61.

2.  "Bank statement" would seem to support the suggestion that it does not have to be a Thai bank.

3.  I have a police report from Oct 2017 and health cert from Jan 2017.   What is the requirement on age of documents?

4.  Finally, what about this notary thing?   What would a notary be notarizing....obviously these things are printed off or mailed to me, and the notary will not witness who signed them.   A friend sent me his documents and he simply wrote "I certify these documents are true and correct" and then signed that and the notary stamped it.   It worked as he got the visa, but seemed a bit silly to me.   Is that actually what they are looking for?

1. I have never heard of them actually asking for that. Being 50 or over is the only requirement.

2. A statement from a bank in the US would be accepted.

3. Both are to old. If I recall correctly the police report must be not older than 3 months and about the same for the medical.

4. Doing the statement they are true and correct and having it notarized will be accepted.

11 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Generally speaking, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to get the visa in the home country or in Thailand?   

That is your choice. The biggest advantage of the OA visa is that you can get almost 2 years of total stay from it.

Also, FYI.... on the Chicago site, the retirement O-A cost is $200 USD, and it indicates it's multi entry.

The OA visa is only issued as multiple entry visa. You can get a new one year entry just before the visa expires that stretches it out to 2 years.

Thanks in advance for any info.   I'm planning to call Bangkok Bank in NYC to find out if I need to be there to open a USD account, or can i do that over the phone.....I see I cannot open it online.

You cannot open an account at  the branch in New York. You have to open an account here at Bangkok Bank and have the funds transferred via the New York branch to you account here.

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That's right. It's not enforced.

Immigration can see where the money has come from by looking at the code in your bank book.

If you are retired and are not allowed to work, then logically, the money should come from overseas.

Sorry but it is not even a requirement if your obtaining an extension which is not a conversion.

Not everybody transfers through their home bank.

XE or Transferwise are often used by expats to transfer funds because of the better exchange rate and lower charges than banks.

They show as a local payment in your bank book, not an international deposit.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no
less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must
have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no
less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Sorry but it is not even a requirement if your obtaining an extension which is not a conversion.

Not everybody transfers through their home bank.

XE or Transferwise are often used by expats to transfer funds because of the better exchange rate and lower charges than banks.

They show as a local payment in your bank book, not an international deposit.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no
less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must
have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no
less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Well, I guess the immigration officer that told me was wrong, then.

I've never heard of or even sensed a need of a requirement that the 800K must come from overseas and I don't believe there is one. Many people use the same 800k year in year out and hold it in a time deposit that rolls over each year, the passbook code associated with the original transfer may be several pass books ago, mine certainly is and I've never been asked to prove the source of those funds. For many years I was using HSBC Bangkok for all aspects of my banking and theirs was a statement based system, again where the original transfer was many pages ago and never presented at renewal time. It sounds to me like ad hoc officers making up their own rules on the spot in order to suit their needs, typical in Phuket I might add which I always found to be problematic for anything Immigration related.

13 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Well, I guess the immigration officer that told me was wrong, then.

Unless you converted from a Visa exempt or Tourist Visa to a Non O, then he was mistaken.

There is a requirement to show proof of funds came from overseas for a conversion process.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.

This is different to the requirement for extensions based on already holding a Non Imm type Visa, or current extension, under Police Order 327/2557 which I previously posted.

That's right. It's not enforced.
Immigration can see where the money has come from by looking at the code in your bank book.
If you are retired and are not allowed to work, then logically, the money should come from overseas.

Maybe the money originally comes from abroad but if you own property and sell it you can transfer that money . Thats what I did. I sold my condo and used some of the money for 800k . Same bank account ,Kasikorn.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Doing in home country provides one year multi entry (one year stay each entry) and extra year stay (needing re-entry permits for travel) if you make a return just before visa expires.  But most people probably extend stay in Thailand directly from conversion or a non immigrant visa entry (many qualify by married but extend for retirement so getting visa is easy).  An up-to-you decision.

Lopburi, 

Thanks so much for the accurate information you provided.   Bangkok Bank does not do the personal accounts, docs must be within three months, notary and that double amount in bank both seem reasonable.

I worked in middle east, and a one year multi entry visa allowed the bearer to exit/enter as often as they liked.   Can you clarify the "one year stay each entry" comment above?  (Right now I'm not concerned about the visa extension, as that's a year away and I understand I need to apply prior to expiration of the initial visa.)

You would not happen to know about that bank balance requirement for the first year if I'm applying in Chicago, regarding whether or not it can be held in a US bank ?     Sure would make things simpler.

Thanks again.

Please disregard my previous post.   Did not see all the excellent additional responses provided.

Thanks Lopburi, Ubonjoe and Tanoshi for all your help. 

Based on your input, all seems straightforward and simple.   Please correct me if I’ve got anything screwed up below.

1.  Download and complete the Visa Application and Additional Information for Visa (Type O-A)

2. Get updated medical and criminal history reports.

3. Print off bank statement.   (I have online accounts so no mailed statements)

4. Get or prepare a retirement document.

5. Have all above documents notarized, and submit them along with my passport and $200.

Couple of final (hopefully) questions. 

1. Will they accept a personal check for the application fee?

2. I have CD’s in excess of the 800,000, and I have liquid cash spread among three accounts..one is a brokerage account.   Planning to consolidate 1,000,000 baht equivalent into a single savings or checking account.    Is savings or checking preferred?    Will I have to wait two months prior to sending in the application?

3. Once submitted, any idea on how long it takes?

Thanks very much once again.   Your assistance is invaluable as I’ve emailed the Consulate, and it appears to have disappeared into a black hole.

Can some one do me, and probably other members too , a favor by posting a copy of the bank statement required by  immigration, in 10 years i have only once been asked for one and it caused much confusion with my bank....a Thai example does miracles.

Thanks a million in advance.

Just now, hgma said:

Can some one do me, and probably other members too , a favor by posting a copy of the bank statement required by  immigration, in 10 years i have only once been asked for one and it caused much confusion with my bank....a Thai example does miracles.

It's not a bank statement, typically it's a letter which describes, your name, address, account number(s), asset balances for the past three months and also the total balance as of the date of the letter, all signed and stamped, in Thai. Most banks have pro-formas's that they use for this purpose, CIMB and UOB certainly do. And you may not get anyone to post a copy of one since Immigration keeps them.

10 minutes ago, hgma said:

Most Thai accounts use passbooks and that is what is normally required if that is the case (copy of passbook pages).  Some banks now do offer statement accounts so you would use those statements in that case.  If statement was required bank can print copies for a fee for passbook accounts (as you can do with online banking) - expect immigration would want bank officials signature if they asked for them however.

The bank letter is just your bio information with account balance dated and signed by a bank manager.  They might required a hold on your account through end of date however to be sure you do not remove before letter presented.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not a bank statement, typically it's a letter which describes, your name, address, account number(s), asset balances for the past three months and also the total balance as of the date of the letter, all signed and stamped, in Thai. Most banks have pro-formas's that they use for this purpose, CIMB and UOB certainly do. And you may not get anyone to post a copy of one since Immigration keeps them.

Understand, for the record any peace of paper which goes to immigration is copied by me upfront....blackening personal information could be considered, but i understand the sensitivity....if someone don't mind the blackening and has a copy...pm if you will...HGMA

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most Thai accounts use passbooks and that is what is normally required if that is the case (copy of passbook pages).  Some banks now do offer statement accounts so you would use those statements in that case.  If statement was required bank can print copies for a fee for passbook accounts (as you can do with online banking) - expect immigration would want bank officials signature if they asked for them however.

The bank letter is just your bio information with account balance dated and signed by a bank manager.  They might required a hold on your account through end of date however to be sure you do not remove before letter presented.

Thank you for your information,

6 hours ago, madisongy said:

Couple of final (hopefully) questions. 

1. Will they accept a personal check for the application fee?

2. I have CD’s in excess of the 800,000, and I have liquid cash spread among three accounts..one is a brokerage account.   Planning to consolidate 1,000,000 baht equivalent into a single savings or checking account.    Is savings or checking preferred?    Will I have to wait two months prior to sending in the application?

3. Once submitted, any idea on how long it takes?

1. They will only accept a money order or cashiers check.

2. No waiting period to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa. Savings or checking ok.

3. 2 days in person, 5 days if mailed.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-visa.html

31 minutes ago, hgma said:

Understand, for the record any peace of paper which goes to immigration is copied by me upfront....blackening personal information could be considered, but i understand the sensitivity....if someone don't mind the blackening and has a copy...pm if you will...HGMA

Edited copy of Bank letter produced for Immigration.

Note: Passbook should be updated so the balance of the letter and the passbook match.

Bank Letter (edited).jpg

8 hours ago, madisongy said:

I worked in middle east, and a one year multi entry visa allowed the bearer to exit/enter as often as they liked.   Can you clarify the "one year stay each entry" comment above?  (Right now I'm not concerned about the visa extension, as that's a year away and I understand I need to apply prior to expiration of the initial visa.)

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid until the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

During the last 30 days of your permission to stay from this Visa, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage or retirement at your local Immigration office provided you can meet the financial requirements.