Notification of Address- Phuket Town

Psimbo

14 hours ago, Psimbo said:

This is just going to get silly again- do i have to get the owner of my place, who lives overseas, to do 10 original copies of this just in case I go away for the weekend?

Merijn suggested using your driving licence for ID if going away for the weekend in Thailand. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Merijn suggested using your driving licence for ID if going away for the weekend in Thailand. 

In all those years ( when it started to become a issue) i use my Thai DL for hotels check-ins.

Only one time this was refused when i went to the late king temple in Bangkok and i stayed at a hotel next to the temple. (which i can understand)

I stay in hotels on almost a monthly basis all over Thailand from 2 to 5 star without any issue.

20 minutes ago, digital said:

I don't know how the online registration system the hotels use works but couldnt they just register you with only the passport number off the DL if they wanted? 

No to do the (online) registration they need all information. (Passport number, TM6 number, Arrival date, Class of visa etc)

1 hour ago, merijn said:

No to do the (online) registration they need all information. (Passport number, TM6 number, Arrival date, Class of visa etc)

Not really true for our FN hotel registration. The only required inputs are name, passport number, nationality, and sex. TM6 and arrival card date and number and visa type are option.  

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

As I have mentioned before they DO check driving licences- I got pulled in Nov in Patts due to an anomaly they had spotted. it was all sorted in the end but scary at the time. They then went through my passport page by page as they struggled to cope with the fact it had been issued in Bangkok!

I am now staying at a place when I am up there that does not report guests (and have updated my driving licence to cancel out the anomaly.

7 hours ago, merijn said:

In all those years ( when it started to become a issue) i use my Thai DL for hotels check-ins.

Only one time this was refused when i went to the late king temple in Bangkok and i stayed at a hotel next to the temple. (which i can understand)

I stay in hotels on almost a monthly basis all over Thailand from 2 to 5 star without any issue.

As above. Apparently there was a bit of a crackdown in Patts at the time, the use of DLs is an urban myth these days, as I found out first hand.

18 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

As above. Apparently there was a bit of a crackdown in Patts at the time, the use of DLs is an urban myth these days, as I found out first hand.

I don't know what you mean but until 2 months ago i was still using my DL for hotel check-ins without any issue. (my address is not changed in the immigration database)

But i have to admit that i don't go to Pattaya and as i have now the Thai Pink ID card i don't use my DL anymore but the ID card.

14 hours ago, merijn said:

I don't know what you mean but until 2 months ago i was still using my DL for hotel check-ins without any issue. (my address is not changed in the immigration database)

But i have to admit that i don't go to Pattaya and as i have now the Thai Pink ID card i don't use my DL anymore but the ID card.

What I mean is as stated in Post 98. I WAS checked after checking in with a DL- this was Nov 17. I do carry the passport as backup but try not to produce it.

It seems to depend on the establishment as to whether or not they actually report guests to Immigration.

As for Post #97, given the fact that I was pinged for using my DL I would be extremely wary of using a DL with an old pport number. If Imm DO check and run the number one could end up in a world of hurt, as one will not be logged into the country.  I suggest the days of relying on the DL may be gone.

Having read the story about electronic passport reading and the possible demise of Arrival Cards the future could be interesting. Install readers, tap your passport and job done would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience this morning at the immigration, around ten o'clock :

For the residence owner :

- Form downloaded from the Volunteers site (http://piv-phuket.com/latest-information/address-registration-information/)  filled up with the owner's signature (in my case it is a company, so company's stamp and signature, no other documents requested) with attached resident's list.

- Copy of rental contract

- Copy of chanote

For the residents :

- copy of passport first page

- visa copy

- departure card copy

Five minutes of waiting, two minutes in front of a kind (!!!!) and smiling (!!!!!) girl employee, that's all.

Archived