Notification of Address- Phuket Town

Psimbo

It seems to me that the 90 day thread has been getting bogged down with things about the address notification process. Having gone through it yesterday I thought I would update and see if we can get this issue separate from the other thread.

Please note this is about the PHUKET TOWN IMMIGRATION OFFICE, not Bangkok, Pattaya or Nakkon Nowhere.

This was my first 'going away for a couple of days and having to re-do the address I have been at for the past 7 years' report. They have been checking as I was pulled for a random check by Immigration in Pattaya whilst up there.

I rent from an overseas owner so those with their own house papers or local landlords may have slightly different experiences as this is based on 'self reporting'.

I took the self reporting form as described elsewhere (no longer relevant) , house papers, lease, picture of owner's passport, and all relevant pages of my passport. I forgot to make a copy of the current notification.

In the end all that was needed was :

The new form (see attached) with 'x-s' filled in. I can only assume as this was a re-report there was no need to put the address details in as they were on the previous notification.

Copy of Owner's passport details

Copy of my passport details ( picture page, entry stamp, TM Card, retirement permit, visa- I do not have a re-entry permit at present)

Copy of previous notification 

Immigration was packed, with thirty people ahead of me for Desk 1. It took the IO an hour to process the first 9 people - I can just put this down to a sulk as his oppos probably took advantage of today's holiday to have a day off. I was concerned about running out of time and asked the Volunteer what the score was. He stated that they would apply a bit of discretion with 24 hour reporting as it was not practical in many cases. He did have a lot of other comments about the system but I would not like to quote him and get him in hot water. They were quite amusing though.

The turbo kicked in about 1600 and  I got to the IO and handed over my paperwork. This was handed to the (very pretty) Work Experience girl and I was told to wait. Somehow some Russian bint managed a queue jump and added a delay. Called forward and the WE'er checked all the details before printing out the new notification.

On leaving I noticed that the names were transposed from last time (mine was on top and the owner's underneath last time- the other way round yesterday). I queried it and was told this was the right way round. Looking at the printed form later this was correct. Due to it being busy the whole process took about 90 minutes.

It seems that although this has always been the law the application of it after internal travel is ridiculous. Someone visiting Bangkok or Patts on a regular basis will find they are spending half their life in an Immigration Office. I can understand if one leaves the country but if you are going back to the same address its a completely pointless exercise. These reports are taking longer than 90 day reports and achieve bugger all.

Phuket Residence Form.pdf

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, schlog said:

Also need new notification after a hospital stay?

Maximum fine is 12.000 thb if i remember correct.

Following all fashion doesn't make sense. They will change it again like they always did.

As I understand it any fine would be imposed on the landlord/house owner and not the tenant. Any the fine would be more like 6,000 baht but I have yet to hear of any owner being fined.

25 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

As I understand it any fine would be imposed on the landlord/house owner and not the tenant. Any the fine would be more like 6,000 baht but I have yet to hear of any owner being fined.

A comment made to me in Immigration yesterday  about fines was that a lot depended on the officer on the day and the attitude of the owner. It's seen as a potential moneymaker to compensate for recent decreases in the kitty. A chap I know had his landlord have to cough up B2k recently but if memory serves that was in Patong so outwith the remit of this thread)

Not much difference between a hospital and a hotel when having to re-register (especially at some prices!). Immigration is going to be very crowded very soon if we have to keep running down there with new notifications.

Again from yesterday comment was made that lot of Thai landlords are reluctant to step up and register tenants due to the potential of being hit up for tax. Slowly but surely they may find it is better to comply with the law in the first place (this would also lessen the chances for abuse by IOs in the future) than having to avoid their responsibilities.

I think we all agree that this is crap but it is what it is at present..

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

<snip>

Not much difference between a hospital and a hotel when having to re-register (especially at some prices!). Immigration is going to be very crowded very soon if we have to keep running down there with new notifications.

Again from yesterday comment was made that lot of Thai landlords are reluctant to step up and register tenants due to the potential of being hit up for tax. Slowly but surely they may find it is better to comply with the law in the first place (this would also lessen the chances for abuse by IOs in the future) than having to avoid their responsibilities.

Hotels and guesthouses all register new guests on line (assuming it now works as it was off line for many months). Even we as rental apartments are registered and can do the house registration online (if it works).  So I fail to see why Immigration office should be crowded. 

For sure many house owners are reluctant to have anything to do with authorities as they don't want to pay rental tax or income tax. That's where tenants are forced to self register to maintain their visa/extension status.

It's all a mess. Immigration are very slowly integrating their data base to know where foreigners are living and their travel pattern. Big Brother is starting to watch you. 

On line registration is working for the last few weeks. ( i use it myself)

Only the landlord is fined as he is responsible for the registration.

This does not say the the tenant can't be fined when he is doing the registration himself instead of the landlord.

Fine for late reporting is 2000 Baht.

I won't do this until I am fined. It's an unnecessary waste of everybody's time, both individuals and Immigration Office staff. This will in turn create a greater queue at the office meaning longer waits for 90 day reports.

As yet I'm totally insure if you are supposed to report after a trip abroad, with conflicting reports. If the TM8 card isn't to be discontinued, this should suffice as a registration of address.

I've been on an annual multi-entry visa for the past year and a bit and, in all honesty, it's probably a better option than an extension of stay. I don't mind leaving the country every 90 days as it gives me an excuse for a weekend away, but the new extension is due later this month.

The whole Immigration office system is inefficient, time-consuming for all parties that have to visit, and really needs a radical overhaul, but while it's effectively a police function, change is unlikely.

The funny thing is, is that the 90 day report is really a notification of address.

Or, rather an "I'm still at the same address" report.

Immigration trust people to come in when there's an address change (once in a blue moon), but, don't trust you to come in yourself to report an address change if you have an extension. You have to come in every 90 days to "confirm" your address.

Totally nonsensical.

Speaking to someone who is involved in the processes yesterday there should be a system for self-reporting the address notification online soon. This will hopefully make things easier and save constant trips to Phuket Town 

Before people start using the national 90 day reporting failures as a comparison this is a LOCAL initiative and is being  field tested as I type. More to follow as I get updates.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:06 AM, merijn said:

On line registration is working for the last few weeks. ( i use it myself)

Only the landlord is fined as he is responsible for the registration.

This does not say the the tenant can't be fined when he is doing the registration himself instead of the landlord.

Fine for late reporting is 2000 Baht.

A link would be nice. :smile:

On 12/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, LivinginKata said:

Link to where ... the business reporting is https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

But only the business can use with user name and password. It's not for your average punter.

Yes I understand but some business owners may not be aware of the link. It's not just about me! :post-4641-1156694572:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, Psimbo said:

Yes I understand but some business owners may not be aware of the link. It's not just about me! :post-4641-1156694572:

I'm confused..........(please refrain with the derogatory remarks as I understand that my brain cells are being killed off at a fast rate through excess red wine consumption!). 

Confused, because at the Phuket Immigration office just weeks ago, I was told by an IO that reporting there after a trip overseas, PROVIDING THAT I WAS RETURNING TO MY OLD ADDRESS, was unnecessary. Now it appears that reporting is necessary, this after a friend has just called me to say that he was at Phuket Imm yesterday and was given a form to complete when he returns from an upcoming trip to the Phillies, even though he lives in his own house??

I take it that this is the form your were referring to Psimbo?? I ask because several posts mention things like "owners only having to do this, not renters" and posts on other threads seemingly agreeing/disagreeing.

Coming back from NZ in January and don't want to be hit with a big fine!

We all well know it's all about the IO's mood of the day.

As far as I know (?) all trips away either in Thailand or abroad require a re-registration within 2 days of return home.  I well know various members can cite differing opinions backed up by conversations with an IO. I always re-register ..

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

I did my 're report 2 months after returning from Malaysia with no problem, the IO said next time I do not need any paperwork just copy of passport pic page and departure card.

He was a very pleasant IO and very helpful.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I suspect you are describing 90 day notification and not house registration which does for sure require form filling paperwork and copy house master ID and house papers etc. Clearly both serve much the same purpose but why should Immigration make anything easy. 

I suspect you are describing 90 day notification and not house registration which does for sure require form filling paperwork and copy house master ID and house papers etc. Clearly both serve much the same purpose but why should Immigration make anything easy. 

No I'm referring to house registration!I provided all documents this time and was told next time I would only need photo page of passport and copy of departure card.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

No I'm referring to house registration!I provided all documents this time and was told next time I would only need photo page of passport and copy of departure card.

Please post here your experience 'next time' .... valuable information for all of us living here. Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 7:31 PM, Psimbo said:

Appears that common  sense may be starting to prevail.  Be interesting to see how it works for internal trips.

Shortly to be arriving back in Patong after a visit to NZ, and although I was told by an Imm officer that I didn't need to re-register my address as I was coming back to my/same apartment, there seems to be some confusion about this.........so did we ever settle on what the procedure is??

And if I do need to report in what form do I need and whose signatures are required?

Many thanks.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Shortly to be arriving back in Patong after a visit to NZ, and although I was told by an Imm officer that I didn't need to re-register my address as I was coming back to my/same apartment, there seems to be some confusion about this.........so did we ever settle on what the procedure is??

And if I do need to report in what form do I need and whose signatures are required?

Many thanks.

I will be doing it again at the end of Jan- i work on if in doubt go to Imm.

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

Many thanks.

Does anyone know anyone that's been fined or reprimanded for not reporting an address after a trip overseas? Until that happens I won't do it and to be honest I'll risk it anyway as the last thing I want to do after a return from the UK or elsewhere is visit the Immigration office the next day. 

I've only just returned to an extension of stay after leaving without a re-entry permit a year and a half ago so haven't personally had to do any address or 90 day reporting for a year. Incidentally, when I got the new extension of stay, they accepted the three year old TM28 receipt in my passport despite my previous visa status.

39 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Does anyone know anyone that's been fined or reprimanded for not reporting an address after a trip overseas? 

Nope and the maximum fine is 2000 thb. So who cares. My saved lifetime is much more worth then this fine.

52 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Does anyone know anyone that's been fined or reprimanded for not reporting an address after a trip overseas?

Nope ... and it's not the tenant's responsibility. Only the landlord. Never heard of an owner being fined. Only penalty fr the tenant is time wasted when going to Immigration for an extension or CoR.

5 minutes ago, keithpa said:

It would be interesting to compare Phuket to all the other immigration offices in thailand. Who has experienced this?

There's a long thread running in the visa forum. I'd suggest that this thread is limited to Phuket.

Just returned from overseas & did the registration yesterday. One guy was slowing up the queue by asking lots of questions even after the volunteer handed him back his papers & number so I showed mine to the student who quickly checked them & gave me a number. Arrived about 2.30 to 3pm but place was still quite full & had to wait nearly 1 hour to get served. Seems like the 90 day report guy calls your queue number but then sends you to counter 3.

Archived