That damned arrogant cyclist says sorry but..

nosguitar

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, n210mp said:

cycling is just as much as addiction as slurping copious amounts of beer in Pattayas bars and those like me who participate in the sport will never EVER convince those with an alternative point of view of the delights of touring in my case the same old routes over many years  and meeting up with not just other cyclists from many nations but actually meeting the nice  local Thai people that are around in the cool and quiet of the  early mornings. 

Whilst my adopted sport may seem full of dangers to some, in my opinion its is just (Maybe, dont really know) the same odds as walking the Soi's of any town in this area  where at the wrong moment in time you can be a victim of a driver either asleep at the wheel, or a motorcyclist  mounting the pavement  possibly drunk or drugged, maybe   even  just going up the street in the wrong direction.

(never heard of a cyclist running into someone in Pattaya though)

On the other hand there are those whose sport takes them into the bars around the area, where they flirt and haggle whilst drinking and smoking their heads off, then after a few sensations of the amber nectar wind their way home to the place they rest their heads  together with a person whom they have selected to spend the night with . (presumably never met before , Now how many risks are attached to that simple exercise?)

The pitfalls of the sidewalks, the preying mantis type lady-boys and buggers sorry (Muggers)  

Without going into a risk assessment that would test the experts of the Worlds underwriting experts, I would respectfully suggest that my  adopted sport would attract a better premium  for life insurance then some of the dissenters of the sport on this thread.

Written at a time when I should really be out on the bike but a flat put a stop to that this morning! 

Well it's a drag getting a flat , I tend to be a bit less fortunate and get mine out on the road which is a real mugger. I feel quite fortunate to have benefited from your flat though, as your post made  for an entertaining read and  I suspect you enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it . A bit of creative writing and humour is a nice mix . I would like to add something. A mate  , on learning that I have taken my bicycle over, advised me to either sell it or get covered with dayglow Kevlar. This mate is one of the many who feel perfectly free and easy to travel , probably a lot quicker  on a motorbike , without a helmet . My insurance will not cover me even travelling pillion on a motorbike taxi without a helmet and after writing off 2 helmets in accidents I will never ride without a helmet again. 

Well I am off out for my fix , I am determined to make finally make it to Bang Saray and back , this could be the day . Ride safe. 

Edited by nosguitar

Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, one of my worst fears are the overly protective ( of their patch) soi dogs or the overly protective ( or their owners house ) “ pets “.
Today the inevitable happened:
I’ve mapped out my route for my morning cycle to avoid the 2 x pit bulls with ridiculously large chains round their necks and the monster of a dog protecting the workshop at the end of the soi.
As I was merrily cycling along enjoying the morning sun and quiet neighbourhood I felt a sharp pain in my backside/leg. I grimaced in pain ( okay, so I shrieked like a 9 year old schoolgirl [emoji51] ) instinctively kicked out at the soi dog, he scuttled off merrily, his work done.

Not a bad bite but as drew blood here I sit in the hospital waiting room ☹️

Hey ho, such is life !!

I have been lucky so far , probably because my limbs are too stiff for early morning rides and it’s too hot by the time I do go out for soi dogs to venture out from under their cars. Actually the closest I came to get bitten was by monkeys up behind wat Mondop. I think that they were from the nearby reserve and as I rounded a bend there were about 10 of them all across the road . I couldn’t stop and tried to weave through them but there must have been a female being protected and they came for me . Bloody things can shift and they make a horrible rasping noise . I was Cavendish on EPO out if there . I went up there by mistake a few weeks back and saw that in the reserve there was a cage full of monkeys . This is a road popular with walkers , especially monks . I hope you get sorted , it’s a hassle though , someone told me you need 5 injections for rabies .

Bet some of these peoples racing bikes cost more than you car / motor bike.

Hey Jack , pardon my ignorance and If I could be bothered I could probably work it out but what in the name of , well anything really , is a virtue signaller? Just want to be sure , it sounds a bit holier than thou and I definitely don’t want to be one of those . You could well have me hanging up my pedals [emoji4][emoji468] nah never ... just kidding . Are you feeling the virtue , or is the signal too weak , maybe there’s a bit of static radio gag radio goo goo...mugger me I do go on . It’s getting near beer o’clock and I have worked up a thirst after a cracking ride in the sun, so I am getting a bit gaga in the heed masell. Have a nice day

Rules of the Road.. if it is bigger than you .. .GET the  XXXX out the way..  

Indeed that’s usually what I would apply to little ol’ frail me , just to be prudent you understand . But hey there sailor isn’t that the rule of the sea . Hey ho though I would agree , here in smiley land , where things may not always be as logical at it should , small frail landlubbers would do well to take care and paddle their <deleted> into the side of the road to let our bigger landlubbing betters room to strut their superior speed and volume . Gosh another Jewel in the crown of education , we thank you .

34 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Rules of the Road.. if it is bigger than you .. .GET the  XXXX out the way..

Speed is just as critical. Don't dare hold anyone up on the roads here, even if there's a red light 50m ahead. How often do you see large vehicles speeding up to a red light, driving dangerously, overtaking traffic along the way when they have to stop anyway? It's insanity. You can't fix stupid.

1 hour ago, nosguitar said:

I have been lucky so far , probably because my limbs are too stiff for early morning rides and it’s too hot by the time I do go out for soi dogs to venture out from under their cars. Actually the closest I came to get bitten was by monkeys up behind wat Mondop. I think that they were from the nearby reserve and as I rounded a bend there were about 10 of them all across the road . I couldn’t stop and tried to weave through them but there must have been a female being protected and they came for me . Bloody things can shift and they make a horrible rasping noise . I was Cavendish on EPO out if there . I went up there by mistake a few weeks back and saw that in the reserve there was a cage full of monkeys . This is a road popular with walkers , especially monks . I hope you get sorted , it’s a hassle though , someone told me you need 5 injections for rabies .

Once on a jungle trail I got trapped between a pack of dogs behind me and a spitting cobra in front of me, I chose the cobra and out peddled the dogs. Another bike hasher was not so lucky a cobra went for him as he rode past, it bit the crank on the front chainwheel and ended up wrapped around the teeth of the chainwheel and the chain, the rider was not hurt.  That bike hasher got the hash name Cobra!

I got bit in the uk years ago ( by my own dog [emoji849]) and it was just one shot in the backside. Here I had one in each arm and given 3 more appointments, 12th, 16th and 23rd of Dec. !!, where I think I will have more shots !!

Not complaining though just surprised , they take it seriously here and I’m up for that, certainly cleaned it up well.

Once on a jungle trail I got trapped between a pack of dogs behind me and a spitting cobra in front of me, I chose the cobra and out peddled the dogs. Another bike hasher was not so lucky a cobra went for him as he rode past, it bit the crank on the front chainwheel and ended up wrapped around the teeth of the chainwheel and the chain, the rider was not hurt.  That bike hasher got the hash name Cobra!

Holy crap , now you just couldn’t come with something as colourful as that back in dear old Blighty . Glad I’m not in your hash , you would have me labelled chimp or ling or monkey . Cobra definitely has more of a ring to it . Gotta respect you off road guys with your own dangers . Safe riding out there

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I got bit in the uk years ago ( by my own dog emoji849.png) and it was just one shot in the backside. Here I had one in each arm and given 3 more appointments, 12th, 16th and 23rd of Dec. !!, where I think I will have more shots !!

Not complaining though just surprised , they take it seriously here and I’m up for that, certainly cleaned it up well.

As there's always a risk of being bitten by soi dog here... where is best to go and how much are the injections?

As there's always a risk of being bitten by soi dog here... where is best to go and how much are the injections?

I have moved to Ayutthaya recently so my gf called her brother who has lived here many years and he recommended a hospital (Rajthanee Hospital), they were very professional, very quick attendance. I guess cost will vary from place to place.

Total was 2,040 baht but that includes doctors fee, quick general health check ( weight, height, blood pressure etc ) , clean up of wound and some medication they gave me .

So difficult to say exactly how much the actual injections cost.

Here’s my receipt:

IMG_4071.thumb.JPG.960f7a76448b159684eab11a53080452.JPG

Your guess is as good as mine !

I have moved to Ayutthaya recently so my gf called her brother who has lived here many years and he recommended a hospital (Rajthanee Hospital), they were very professional, very quick attendance. I guess cost will vary from place to place.

Total was 2,040 baht but that includes doctors fee, quick general health check ( weight, height, blood pressure etc ) , clean up of wound and some medication they gave me .

Here’s my receipt:

IMG_4071.thumb.JPG.960f7a76448b159684eab11a53080452.JPG&key=5a0a0b2fc43bccfd8a713157aa4cd708ca136712541ea0ff912b4c6afa2aaf78

Hi Andrew is that for the whole course of injections or just what you have received to date .

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s my receipt:

IMG_4071.thumb.JPG.960f7a76448b159684eab11a53080452.JPG

Thanks! At least I have a ballpark figure to aim for in Pattaya. Looks like 1170 for the next 3 injections and 300 for the nurse, unless you have to pay more.

AS far as Soi dogs are concerned  I have through experience found out that talking to them in a sort of calm derisory manner  seems to get them off the offensive.

Example " What the heck is wrong with you you silly boy" said in a nice quiet reassuring manner works wonders, the exception is if you suddenly surprise them  but then again if that is the case,  I have the ultimate deterrent, a golf graphite driver shaft without the head bit sheathed in a 18" piece of 1" plastic electrical tubing to the handle bars.

When they see the big stick  being unsheathed from its scabbard they always back off, the exception was about three years ago when a very surly and aggressive Mutt  perhaps drunk or on steroids kept on coming with the intention of eating me. 

On this occasion I swung the shaft in a sort of blind  panic to where I thought the the big Mutt was and luckily for me but unluckily for him, hit him square on the nose with the tip of the shaft being at supersonic speed .

His yells and screams made me feel very bad and for a long time, I was  as guilty as hell about that lucky strike but I met up with that same dog many times on my perambulations around that area and he never again aver came to have a word with me and I often wondered why 

31 minutes ago, n210mp said:

AS far as Soi dogs are concerned  I have through experience found out that talking to them in a sort of calm derisory manner  seems to get them off the offensive.

Example " What the heck is wrong with you you silly boy" said in a nice quiet reassuring manner works wonders, the exception is if you suddenly surprise them  but then again if that is the case,  I have the ultimate deterrent, a golf graphite driver shaft without the head bit sheathed in a 18" piece of 1" plastic electrical tubing to the handle bars.

When they see the big stick  being unsheathed from its scabbard they always back off, the exception was about three years ago when a very surly and aggressive Mutt  perhaps drunk or on steroids kept on coming with the intention of eating me. 

On this occasion I swung the shaft in a sort of blind  panic to where I thought the the big Mutt was and luckily for me but unluckily for him, hit him square on the nose with the tip of the shaft being at supersonic speed .

His yells and screams made me feel very bad and for a long time, I was  as guilty as hell about that lucky strike but I met up with that same dog many times on my perambulations around that area and he never again aver came to have a word with me and I often wondered why 

Perhaps he never chased anyone again.

If a dog chases you, if you stop quickly, look them in the eyes and shout, they walk away baffled. They don't expect that and it surprises them.

I usually give the soi dogs a wide berth and don’t try to pass them at speed and startle them but this one came out of nowhere, I suspect he was under a car, he came up behind me quickly and quietly, I believe the breed is Stealth !! [emoji51]
The problem is the sois are narrow and the locals nearly all leave their cars or pickups outside leaving me with restricted vision.

I’m a dog lover but I think will have to get myself some deterrent of some kind to protect myself.

Went out at 5pm for a little ride with the gf and WTH if another dog didn’t have a go !!

My gf said that after being bitten once I would get bitten often now !!
I tried explaining to her that somethings are better left unsaid but she didn’t get it [emoji35]

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, one of my worst fears are the overly protective ( of their patch) soi dogs or the overly protective ( or their owners house ) “ pets “.
Today the inevitable happened:
I’ve mapped out my route for my morning cycle to avoid the 2 x pit bulls with ridiculously large chains round their necks and the monster of a dog protecting the workshop at the end of the soi.
As I was merrily cycling along enjoying the morning sun and quiet neighbourhood I felt a sharp pain in my backside/leg. I grimaced in pain ( okay, so I shrieked like a 9 year old schoolgirl emoji51.png ) instinctively kicked out at the soi dog, he scuttled off merrily, his work done.

Not a bad bite but as drew blood here I sit in the hospital waiting room ☹️

Hey ho, such is life !!

what is your plan now to avoid getting rebitten in the future

I usually give the soi dogs a wide berth and don’t try to pass them at speed and startle them but this one came out of nowhere, I suspect he was under a car, he came up behind me quickly and quietly, I believe the breed is Stealth !! [emoji51]
The problem is the sois are narrow and the locals nearly all leave their cars or pickups outside leaving me with restricted vision.

I’m a dog lover but I think will have to get myself some deterrent of some kind to protect myself.

Went out at 5pm for a little ride with the gf and WTH if another dog didn’t have a go !!

I tried explaining to her that somethings are better left unsaid but she didn’t get it [emoji35]

Hey Andrew , the ironic soi dog whisperer[emoji4] . Did you talk to your dog in the UK like that . Love it , “!you silly boy , now behave or you I am going to improve my par with you “ [emoji106]I hate soi dogs , even a squirt from my water bottle is no discouragement . The muggers obviously get a quick cool off and come for more .

Never had a problem with dogs , yes some of them want to attack me , but then I just stop and scare them away . If you stop and turn against them and make noises they will be very scared of you -   But you need to be observant so they don't catch you first! 

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I usually give the soi dogs a wide berth and don’t try to pass them at speed and startle them but this one came out of nowhere, I suspect he was under a car, he came up behind me quickly and quietly, I believe the breed is Stealth !! emoji51.png

I tried explaining to her that somethings are better left unsaid but she didn’t get it emoji35.png

How would your gf possibly know that and why do people make up such stuff?  Tell her that you believe her, but that in order to counteract the curse, she will have to bite the next soidog that comes at you, before it bites you.  A classic man bites dog scenario that may get headlines!

Bob and I Jomtien beach  this morning after doing the 3 beaches and Bali Hai

you will notice the dog whisperers persuader on the handle bars which although drawn many times in anticipation  and cold fear has only been used once in 6 years

Me and Bob jomtien.jpg

Edited by n210mp

Nosguitar and Tropo

According to my gf I only paid today for the injections ( and other things )I received . Next time I will have to pay again for injections and any other incidentals.

Next appointment 12th Dec, will post price on here.
@nosguitar@tropo

Had another injection today plus weight checked, blood pressure checked and she also pointed a laser at my forehead this time ?, not sure if she was trying to read my barcode or give me the Indian red dot ! [emoji51]

Anyway, charged me another 1,010 baht ! , so the grand total will be 6,080 ( there’s another shot on my card now 6th Jan, must have missed it before , so 3 more to go )

I sense they are feeling more familiar with me now and the farangs bum novelty has worn off , this time they sat me on a chair, rolled my sleeve up and jabbed me , not even a plaster !
At this rate for the last shot they will probably get me with a blow pipe as I’m walking cross the parking lot !!