4-in-10 Thai Shoppers Toss Clothes After 1 Wear: Survey

snoop1130

4-in-10 Thai Shoppers Toss Clothes After 1 Wear: Survey

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

14568316641456831691l.jpg

A pedestrian walks through stalls specializing in apparel and fashion items in Bangkok’s Pratunam area. Photo: Jef1947 / Flickr

BANGKOK — Hot off the rack – and ready for the landfill?

A significant number of Thai consumers are prone to trashing their clothes, with millennials given to dumping things they’ve worn only once, a survey released Tuesday found.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/shopping/2017/12/06/4-10-thai-shoppers-toss-clothes-1-wear-survey/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-06

Or bashed on stones on the river bank ! However, when I was using the local laundry, and can buy 5 pairs of socks for Bht100, washing more than 4 times is uneconomical.

Edited by wgdanson

hardly surprising as most thais (and bizarrely many foreigners) buy their clothes from markets and street stalls, even a quick look at these clothes shows you they are in the main cheaply made, low quality/cheap fabric, badly designed, they are not designed or made with longevity in mind.

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

Planned obsolescence.  The stitches, threading, zippers, buttons etc. of Thai-manufactured garments only last one wear and disintegrate when put through a washing machine.

Better than Bali clothes. Alot better.

The pay washing machines at my condo are more like blenders than washers. I hand wash all my laundry. I'm retired and have the time, plus doesn't destroy the items. I guess I am a regular Gandhi, eh? You can get decent clothes at the market, if you look.

"... make sure you're getting doused with all the nice & healthy chemicals in your new garbs..." Not me: I depend on local fruits and veggies to do me in (per story other day).

Better than Bali clothes? I do recall one shirt that fell apart first day I had it, but some of the better stuff, like Mutiara Art shirts, last. I got the name from looking at shirt I bought 12 years ago in Ubud, and it is still fine. A little faded, but other than that, fine

Edited by Emster23

I still have a couple of copy cheaply purchased polo type shirts in our 'not worn often, but can be' wardrobe that are at least 18 years old. Only slightly faded after all that time, all buttons and threading intact.

I am sure they are that old because I have not bought any copy stuff here in Phits since moving here.

Sigh, not a good sign when even copy quality slides that badly............................:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Planned obsolescence.  The stitches, threading, zippers, buttons etc. of Thai-manufactured garments only last one wear and disintegrate when put through a washing machine.

Really ? I have at least four pair of jeans, all bought at Phakanhong and all of them I have been wearing for several years, no problem putting them through the washing machine.

Edited by sjaak327

All you need is a pair of shorts and a Tshirt, wash it over night wear it again the next day, that is what they did in the wife's village except her dad who wore 3 or 4 real shirts aday. I must admit it beats the overcoat and thermals I have to ware today, but no mosses, so a bit of a trade off.

2 hours ago, coulson said:

Bangkok millennials don't represent the habits of all Thai shoppers.

And how many such 'Bangkok millennials' would there be in total, having the financial means to buy that many pieces of clothing and wear these only once? Some thousands of these 'golden' boys and girls in total, using their parents' credit cards to finance their expensive habit...? What kind of a 'survey' is this?

And that when the immense majority of Thai citizens can barely afford some basic clothing to wear until falling apart, not even mentioning the uniforms they are forced to buy for their kids to be allowed in those so-called 'free' (no-cost, LOL) schools...

IMO, a most disgusting article!

A bit unfair on Thais, who are Johnny-come-latelies to the consumer conveyor belt. Things have been like this in the West - and on a much larger scale - for decades. Hence the vogue in countries like the US for minimilism, a philosophy which more of us need to adopt in order to preserve the world's rapidly-vanishing resources.

18 hours ago, Coconutman said:

They last about 1 wash before they start to fall apart

???????????????????????????

I'm still wearing Thai made T shirts and shorts that I bought 5 years ago, and they have been washed countless times.

The claims that all Thai made clothes fall apart quickly are just not true.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

???????????????????????????

I'm still wearing Thai made T shirts and shorts that I bought 5 years ago, and they have been washed countless times.

The claims that all Thai made clothes fall apart quickly are just not true.

I have 2 pairs of ahorts washed 1 time.. the zippers for the pockets gone and they are torn.

The 300 baht ones are still good the 160 baht ones are well umm not good quality