Foreign tourists kicking up a stink about smoking ban - but Thais "willingly cooperate"

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I think sticking people in jail over smoking is a bit over the top 

Unless they are repeat offenders

Fine them a minimum 1000 baht first time then more if it happens again if the tourist cant get  the message and carrys on smoking end their holiday and deport them

on about the UK papers writing about people getting jailed which I doubt so be it send the message out  

the tourist can sit in a plane for 12-14 hours getting here no smoking 

surely they can go to a designated smoking area if needed when here 

And fine the Thais 1000 As well

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, pattayadon said:

"They said if they are not allowed the freedom to smoke they won't come back to Pattaya."

Oh Noooo!  No more quality tourists blocking the beach walk and spitting on the ground. No more pom pui  idiots lying on the dirty sand and swimming in sewer beach. What is Pattaya going to do without these cheap charleys?   boo hoo boo hoo

Find cheaper Charlie’s who you will hate even more

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

an inordinate percentage of the time that when these authorities actually Do Something, they do the wrong thing

More like when they do actually "Do something", it is 1,000% influenced by nothing more than how big the kick-backs will be as opposed to the correct thing.

This smoking ban is nothing more than bread & circuses/smoke & mirrors to try & divert some attention away from such activity.

It may have some detrimental affect on tourism, but I doubt it. Pattaya beach is just a noisy cesspool where some hawker is trying to sell you something every 2 minutes anyhow. 

If that hasn't driven the tourists away already, nothing will.

Edited by jaywalker

Well, I stopped my 2 x yearly visits to Jom Tien beach because of the beach pollution and the smokers, who were always seated at the front of the chairs, and ensuring everyone else had a lungful.

Once the water, the beaches and the air is fit for public use, a few more of us might return.

3 minutes ago, masuk said:

Well, I stopped my 2 x yearly visits to Jom Tien beach because of the beach pollution and the smokers, who were always seated at the front of the chairs, and ensuring everyone else had a lungful.

Once the water, the beaches and the air is fit for public use, a few more of us might return.

I'll venture to say that the beach chair vendors packing all the chairs together like sardines contributed to the assault on your lungs.

Pattaya & Jomtien beaches have long been shining examples of how to NOT run a pleasant beach. Why anybody would venture onto either one in the past 20+ years has long been a mystery to me.

If they make the designated smoking area very well ventilated, and install a restaurant, bar, sofa television etc inside it, then I don't think there'd be anything to complain about.  The proprietors would probably have a captive audience of about 15-20% of all tourist traffic.  Non smokers can have everywhere else.

On a practical note, the reason for cigarette butts on the pavement is not entirely unrelated to the lack of suitable disposal areas.  If I throw an empty plastic water bottle in the street, how much is the fine?  I don't want to see either of those on the side...side...(mumbles) 'sidewalk' [krypton factor course].  Even the issue of pet-poop disposal has solutions, litter bins for general waste packaging, but smokers just get to pay, then get fined?

And I strongly suggest that some posters should reconsider one or two posts here about ascribing values like fat, cheap charley to someone because they smoke.  What do you call meth users?  skinny big spenders?  See that doesn't provide useful insight either.  Does it.

Edited by Shiver

Jesus how hard is it to not light up a cancer stick for a time while at the beach, i certainly dont want to be sat next to them while at the beach with my daughter or a day im sat at a bar having a beer and them bellowing out their toxins in my direction either. Smokers are selfish barstewards.

Some people, including some smokers, simply do not have any consideration for the opinions of others. Let's face it, smoking is a dirty habit that offers health risks which can be detrimental to the health of others in addition to its general filth. I own an undeveloped piece of mountain land in West Virginia. I held a family reunion there one fourth of July weekend. I provided ample trash bins and ashtrays for everyone. One cousin brought a fat-butted round-eyed smoker who refused to do any of the shared tasks or anything else except flick her filtered cigarette butts and used beer cans on the ground all around the cabin and her tent area. I told her and my cousin to use the ash trays and trash bins and to pick up the cigarette butts and beer cans she flicked about. She became indignant and claimed she was just throwing them on the ground and it harmed no one. My cousin understood and told her to clean up her mess and if she did not, he would take her to the nearest bus station so she could get home. He still thanks me for saving him from that dragon. 

Bunch of spoiled brats whining while the world changes faster than they can keep up. Fact: smokers have an addiction, equal or worse than heroin addiction. To that extent, sympathy applies - That used to be an excuse, but no more. Secondarily  that it's merely a habit and a choice. The methadone for smokers is vaping. You get your nicotine, no worries, no hardship. your addiction will therefore not impose on others.  Fact: It's now widely recognized that secondhand smoke in any situation is unhealthy to anyone who breathes it. And I don't want to hear any excuses about the quality of Thailand city air. That's a pathetic and baseless excuse. Thailand is working on all these problems, hence the smoking ban. You are still making it worse for whoever sits next to you. Fact: If you light up a cigarette you're choosing to do the equivalent of wafting the smell of garbage or body odor or human waste into the face of the person next to you. Often times you are ruining someone's otherwise delicious meal. How would you like it if heroin addicts went around poking people with their used needles? Which is worse, lung cancer or AIDS? AIDS is manageable. Lung cancer is a death sentence.  My mom died of lung cancer, within 3 weeks of her diagnosis. Then there are the pigs who stub out their butts in the sand on the beaches. <deleted>? We come here to enjoy the beaches. You can't at least use a cup or a beer bottle? That's a no brainer,  easily dealt with, 'nuff said about that. . In today's world if you choose to smoke rather than vape anywhere that someone else has to breathe it, ESPECIALLY in a place where people come to enjoy fresh air, or sit down for a meal, then you're a self indulgent inconsiderate pig. You DON'T have the right to pollute the air that someone else has to breathe. Don't expect them to move. You do it. PERIOD, END OF STORY. The world has changed. It continues to change and call on people to keep up. 

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

I guess thais were informed about the new laws but the international community were not.  Travel companies do not tell their customer and when they arrive they expected the place to be as it was last month.  Pattaya has a lot of men returning  a few times a year so they may not like the changes and look for fresh horizons

Yes, inform every country in the world.  Like those who ban smoking restrictions at a significantly higher level of penalty.  Westerners..., get over it.  And before I get blasted by the occasional sedentary angry soul with little more to do but complain here, I fully understand many Thais are complicit.

It's time for visitors to understand the entire world has rules -& Thailand is no exception.  Perhaps Immigration should  print a long list of items that common sense humans already clearly understand.  Like don't expose your backside in a temple..., don't flash @ Songkran...,  don't turn off a local's motorcy because it's too loud. 

For the whiners and blow-ins, do your research before you come and ask to be sure once you're here.  If you don't like it, go home and plan your next holiday elsewhere.

Seems to me that “manager” is trolling for Thai bashing posters, with this article..... begging for them, actually.

but... you get that.

Question anyone.... are these smoking areas the old ladyboy hangout toilets?..... and If so.... are they still toilets on the inside, with smoking outside, which will encourage people to loiter around public toilets? (Yay)

as to fine implementation... 100,000 b fines may never actually happen... but let’s not forget about the two recent cases in Phuket where tourists were nabbed for feeding bread to the fish..... one of which spent significant holiday time in the chalong lockup, because the 100,000 b fine was levied as a bail bond ( with an insignificant fine finally being handed out by the court.)

so.... if the maximum fine is levied as a bail, and the tourist goes home on their booked flight, without having time to wait around for a court case ( good money after bad), then the tourist will still be out of pocket by 100 000 b

Possible, yes?

now... Xmas/ new year is on us again, and traditionally this sees lots of beach fireworks.... fireworks produce way more smoke pollution (remembering that this is about smoking, vs littering, due to implementation vehicle), not to mention litter, lots and lots of litter... so logically, this too should be banned (albeit next year... because it seems everyone has a free pass this year...).

anyway.... I can understand some comments / sentiments from non smokers to a certain degree, although due to the way this is being handled, i think them deluded. (Even if they see this as a win for non smokers)

But what else (lmao)... no lifeguards on the beaches in Phuket... saving life’s by preventing second hand smoking ailments is more important than renewing the lifeguard suppliers contract.... priorities in order, as usual.... I hope no self righteous non smoker drowns.

I stopped spending time on the Thai beaches (strips of sand next to the sewer) a long time ago. I spend my time and money on Bali. Way better & cleaner beaches, less corruption, less scams... And very good food !!!

2 minutes ago, AlphMichaels said:

Yes, inform every country in the world.  Like those who ban smoking restrictions at a significantly higher level of penalty.  Westerners..., get over it.  And before I get blasted by the occasional sedentary angry soul with little more to do but complain here, I fully understand many Thais are complicit.

It's time for visitors to understand the entire world has rules -& Thailand is no exception.  Perhaps Immigration should  print a long list of items that common sense humans already clearly understand.  Like don't expose your backside in a temple..., don't flash @ Songkran...,  don't turn off a local's motorcy because it's too loud. 

For the whiners and blow-ins, do your research before you come and ask to be sure once you're here.  If you don't like it, go home and plan your next holiday elsewhere.

Assumedly you don’t count yourself as a sedentary angry soul, right?

doing your research is good advise... very good.

it will show that corruption is rife... laws are often broken.... the police won’t help... tourists suffer a two tiered price system... the law is not equally applied to all.... and one way or another, it’s highly likely that you will be scammed

i could be wrong, but IMHO, sane laws will be followed by westerners (especially when supported by infrastructure, like rubbish bins for rubbish), whereas crazy sh##, Which seems to make no sense, won’t be followed so willingly., and therein lies the problem.

next up will be stories about locals wondering the beach in t shirts with logos announcing “official fine collector”

8 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

I stopped spending time on the Thai beaches (strips of sand next to the sewer) a long time ago. I spend my time and money on Bali. Way better & cleaner beaches, less corruption, less scams... And very good food !!!

You obviously still prefer TVF to BVF

“... foreigners want their precious freedom to do as they please....they said if they are not allowed the freedom to smoke they won't come back to Pattaya.”

Excellent news! Dont come back!

...such selfish complaints about their own freedom, whilest completely disrespecting the freedom of others around them who are forced to suffer from the stink and pollution! This new rule to try to curb the effects of these addicts, however ridiculous or nonsensical in its content, or potential to be able to be enforced, should just not be necessary in a society where respect and concern for others ought to be of some importance. By its nature, smoking is something that cannot be contained inside a small personal space...and as such it’s logical to just not do it in public.

4 hours ago, zzidenn said:

i really hope that all of this random BS makes tourists go someplace else and hurts the economy. go and ban f* foam dishes and all the other crap that thais throw into the ocean and adress some real problems. a few well placed ashtrays would have done the trick.#letsmakethailandtheworstholidaydestinationever

They introduced this smoking ban on beaches because of a litter problem instead of tackling the actual issue of people throwing their trash where they feel like, as for Pattaya beach - the most prolific people that I have seen throwing butts in the sand are Thais and especially those involved in boat and jetski rentals, I have seen many farangs (not all) on the beaches using the ashtrays provided.

This smoking ban is like banning cars from a particular road because some are speeding

Generally people will respect rules if they are reasonable and just but this smoking ban does not address the actual issue of "PEOPLE LITTERING" 

and of course we will have those that just hate everything that people do that they don't do and find some excuse to complain about it, the moaners that drive a diesel car that pollutes the air and the environment (and is extremely carcinogenic, 1000 times worse than cigarettes) to such an extent that cigarette smoke isn't even measureable when compared.

If authorities want to introduce rules then they need to be sensible and need to be seen to be addressing the actual issues otherwise people will not respect the rules and ultimately reject them - it is just common sense

Public place as in an enclosed food restaurant? ...or public place such as a park, garden, beach where there are millions of litres of passing air?   I'd posit that appropriate behaviour without imposing the will of others on someones freedom, or theirs on the majority, should be distinguished.

An example of fair governance what would naturally encourage good social practise could be something like:

Drinking a can of beer or two on the beach - OK
Being unruly or behaving in a socially improper manner - Not OK.  Punishable

Smoking on a beach so long as you give due consideration to your co-participants - OK
Blowing smoke in their general direction, not taking reasonable steps to contain your behaviour - Not OK.  Punishable

Using an empty beer can, coca cola can, or dedicated disposable receptacle for sale nearby for use as an ashtray - OK
Throwing used cigarettes, used cans/bottles away in the local environment and not disposing of them at the provided facilities - Not OK.  Punishable.

Alternative delivery systems such as vaping that do not have any smoke or waste to dispose of - OK
Governing bodies KowTowing to tobacco giants for personal or group gain, imposing their 'habit' on the public at large - Not OK.  Punishable.

Note also that the kind of items mentioned above are all taxed heavily, on the faux grounds that society demands that.

Next they'll be taxing vegans because they eat vegetables.  "You can't do that! vegetation is the lungs of the earth".

Edited by Shiver

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Bunch of spoiled brats whining while the world changes faster than they can keep up. Fact: smokers have an addiction, equal or worse than heroin addiction. To that extent, sympathy applies - That used to be an excuse, but no more. Secondarily  that it's merely a habit and a choice. The methadone for smokers is vaping. You get your nicotine, no worries, no hardship. your addiction will therefore not impose on others.  Fact: It's now widely recognized that secondhand smoke in any situation is unhealthy to anyone who breathes it. And I don't want to hear any excuses about the quality of Thailand city air. That's a pathetic and baseless excuse. Thailand is working on all these problems, hence the smoking ban. You are still making it worse for whoever sits next to you. Fact: If you light up a cigarette you're choosing to do the equivalent of wafting the smell of garbage or body odor or human waste into the face of the person next to you. Often times you are ruining someone's otherwise delicious meal. How would you like it if heroin addicts went around poking people with their used needles? Which is worse, lung cancer or AIDS? AIDS is manageable. Lung cancer is a death sentence.  My mom died of lung cancer, within 3 weeks of her diagnosis. Then there are the pigs who stub out their butts in the sand on the beaches. <deleted>? We come here to enjoy the beaches. You can't at least use a cup or a beer bottle? That's a no brainer,  easily dealt with, 'nuff said about that. . In today's world if you choose to smoke rather than vape anywhere that someone else has to breathe it, ESPECIALLY in a place where people come to enjoy fresh air, or sit down for a meal, then you're a self indulgent inconsiderate pig. You DON'T have the right to pollute the air that someone else has to breathe. Don't expect them to move. You do it. PERIOD, END OF STORY. The world has changed. It continues to change and call on people to keep up. 

I read that they have proved that Vaping those liquids gives you popcorn lung which is also a death sentence , i certainly dont want to breath in any smoke from cancer sticks or them vapers.

Ive lost count the number of times ive got up an moved to another area away from some dirty tramp thats just lit up, a good slap maybe bring them to their senses.

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Looks like the severe fine and harsh 1 year jail sentence seems to be working with the locals on the beach cigarette issue....why not establish similar severity with the road laws and hopefully the message may get through ?????

how about applying the same attention to child trafficking , bondage  and slavery crimes against the thai people ? thailand and a few places in africa are the only places left that put their own people and children into slavery . deal with that first .