Non-Im O-A Long Stay Financial Req.

I have a question I have tried to research to no avail. 

I'm in the US applying for the Non-Immigrant O-A long stay retirement visa. My retirement account (401K) is in the form of my

brokerage accounts ( NOT bank accounts)  and are being submitted to the Thai Consulate here in the US to satisfy the financial requirements.  Those funds will remain in the US even while retired in Thailand. I have a Kasikorn bank account  for small incidentals .  My question is, upon the 1st 90 day reporting date when I'm in Thailand, will I be required to have 800,000 in my Thai bank account?  Or rather can I once again refer to my US brokerage account in satisfaction?     I do understand that by the time I extend at the end of 1 year I may be required at that time to have 800,000 in my Kasikorn account. But at the  1st 90 day report??

Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, siddv said:

My question is, upon the 1st 90 day reporting date when I'm in Thailand, will I be required to have 800,000 in my Thai bank account? 

No. You will not be required to prove the funds again at any 90 day report.

2 hours ago, siddv said:

I do understand that by the time I extend at the end of 1 year I may be required at that time to have 800,000 in my Kasikorn account. But at the  1st 90 day report??

No. You will not be required to prove the funds again at any 90 day report.

Long-stay can stay for one year. After one year when you try to extend, you may be required to put the money in Thai bank in savings or fixed deposit.

I was wondering what would happen if you reply for another long-stay from the US after the first one expires.

Does someone have experience in getting multiple Non-O long stay (retirement) from the US?

90-day reporting does not require fund verification. It is only for address confirmation, I assume.

Also, did you submit a proof of retirement? If so, what?

Edited by onera1961

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Long-stay can stay for one year. After one year when you try to extend, you may be required to put the money in Thai bank in savings or fixed deposit.

I was wondering what would happen if you reply for another long-stay from the US after the first one expires.

Does someone have experience in getting multiple Non-O long stay (retirement) from the US?

90-day reporting does not require fund verification. It is only for address confirmation, I assume.

Also, did you submit a proof of retirement? If so, what?

There is no limit to the number of back to back non 'O-A' visas you can get.

You do not need to be retired to get this visa. It is sometimes marketed by consular services as a 'retirement visa', but it's a 'long stay' visa that's available to anyone over 50 with enough income or cash in the bank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You do not need to be retired to get this visa. It is sometimes marketed by consular services as a 'retirement visa', but it's a 'long stay' visa that's available to anyone over 50 with enough income or cash in the bank.

Chicago Thai consulate lists the following documents are required for long-stay.

VII. Retirement in Thailand, the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement.
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department.
  • a certificate of health.

Is there any Thai immigration website where requirements are listed?

31 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Chicago Thai consulate lists the following documents are required for long-stay.

VII. Retirement in Thailand, the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department.

Is there any Thai immigration website where requirements are listed?

That looks like a requirement for a non 'O' visa, not an 'O-A'. I don't think Chicago could issue a non 'O-A', and I didn't think it was possible to get a non 'O' anymore based on 'retirement '.

The Embassy in Washington doesn't require proof of retirement; http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

It's the MFA that govern the issuance of visas; http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Edited by elviajero

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That looks like a requirement for a non 'O' visa, not an 'O-A'. I don't think Chicago could issue a non 'O-A', and I didn't think it was possible to get a non 'O' anymore based on 'retirement '.

Chicago is a official Thai consulate and does issue OA visas. Note that the info that was posted includes a police clearance and health certificate.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-non-immigrant-visa-eng.html

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chicago is a official Thai consulate and does issue OA visas. Note that the info that was posted includes a police clearance and health certificate.

Police clearance and health certificate is easy to obtain for $100. My issue is retirement proof. One can draw SS still not retired. So, SS is not a proof of retirement. one can retire and not draw SS for better return in the future.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Long-stay can stay for one year. After one year when you try to extend, you may be required to put the money in Thai bank in savings or fixed deposit

just before expiry of the 'visa' a fresh entry into Thailand will give another one year permission to stay stamp. ( as would any entry before the 'visa' expiry date) giving a 2 year period in Thailand one a non imm 'O'A' multi visa., a re-entry permit would be required after the 'visa' expiry date to preserve the permission to stay period

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Police clearance and health certificate is easy to obtain for $100. My issue is retirement proof. One can draw SS still not retired. So, SS is not a proof of retirement. one can retire and not draw SS for better return in the future.

Being 50 or over is the proof you are retired.

You can download the medical certificate and the addition application form on this page. http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-application_form.html

Not sure why they don't have more details for the OA visa on their website. The embassy in DC has more info here: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

When you apply for the yearly extension, you'll have to either show the 800K baht in a bank account or get a proof of income from the American embassy. 

I really wonder why so many people get their retirement visas in the USA. Its so much easier to get them here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I really wonder why so many people get their retirement visas in the USA. Its so much easier to get them here.

I think it is one year multiple entry and easier for someone with a 401K/IRA  account. Don't have to withdraw money from retirement account. 401K/IRA withdrawal before 59.5 years also has 10% IRS penalty.

Edited by onera1961

Excellent!  Great info. Thanks so much for your the many replies re the 90 day reporting.   One more question. During my 1 year stay in Thailand am I permitted to leave the country for visits back to the US and/or  for short holidays in neighboring counties without implication?

Thanks again !!

Are there any Chicago O-A visa holders that can respond about proof of retirement documentation? I will retire soon but will not take SS for a few years so that can't be used. U Joe says being over 50 is proof of retirement but they can get that proof (age) from your application or passport. Seems they want something else.

17 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Are there any Chicago O-A visa holders that can respond about proof of retirement documentation? I will retire soon but will not take SS for a few years so that can't be used. U Joe says being over 50 is proof of retirement but they can get that proof (age) from your application or passport. Seems they want something else.

I have never seen a report of anybody having to provide proof of retirement.

Did you open the link I posted for the embassies requirements.

I did Joe...

• documentation showing proof of retirement
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department
*These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

3 minutes ago, claynlr said:

I did Joe...

Those are for the consulate.

The embassy has this.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

2 minutes ago, claynlr said:

But by the state map I live in a state that has to apply at Chicago..or can anyone apply at the Washington Embassy?

I posted the info shown on the embassy website since it has much more info than what the Chicago consulate has.

People have applied by mail to the embassy from all parts of the statea before.

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

i successfully used that consulate/embassy years ago for my NON-O (basis retirement);

at that time there was no requirement for proof of retirement, nor Health Cert, nor Police;

i would call them directly (as i did);

i found the 4 official consulates / embassies to have different requirements, both on their websites and calling them;

altho i used chicago, all by mail, the LA office was very friendly and insinuated i could use them if need be

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

Seems they want something else.

Yes, they want to see that you can afford the 65,000 THB income per month required for the visa.  This may either be in the form of a monthly payment or in savings for a year (65,000 THB X 12  or 800,000 THB equivalent) in you home currency 

The advantage of the O-A is that the money does not have to be in a Thai bank 

You are making too much of the term retirement as far as Thailand is concerned if you are not working and are 50 or more years old,  you are retired for visa purposes 

3 hours ago, siddv said:

During my 1 year stay in Thailand am I permitted to leave the country for visits back to the US and/or  for short holidays in neighboring counties without implication?

Yes. Up to the point that the O-A visa expires ... one year from date of issue (not one year from when you first entered Thailand) you can come and go as you please. When you return to Thailand make sure you put the visa number on your arrival card and make sure the immigration officer is directed to the visa . Each time you enter using the visa you will get a new full year's permission to stay.

If you exit and re-enter just before the visa expires, you'll get a new full year's permission to stay BUT once the visa expires, even though your permission to stay may still be good, you will no longer have a unexpired visa. So from that point until your permission to stay expires, you will need to get a re-entry permit. When you return to Thailand you must put the re-entry permit number on the arrival card and make sure the I/O sees the re-entry permit. You will maintain your existing permission to stay. Once the visa expires you will not get a new full year permission, it will just keep the permission you already had.

Two dates to watch: the visa expiration and the permission to stay expiration.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, siddv said:

Excellent!  Great info. Thanks so much for your the many replies re the 90 day reporting.   One more question. During my 1 year stay in Thailand am I permitted to leave the country for visits back to the US and/or  for short holidays in neighboring counties without implication?

Thanks again !!

With a one year multiple entry visa (non-o A (long stay) you can leave and enter as long as your visa is valid.

8 hours ago, claynlr said:

From discussion here I think it is not required. Also, the embassy at Washington does not require it.