Two more Thai women arrested "trying to smuggle cocaine" in to Japan

webfact

Two more Thai women arrested "trying to smuggle cocaine" in to Japan

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Thai/Japanese interpreter went on Facebook to say that two more Thai women had been arrested at Narita airport in Tokyo yesterday carrying drugs in their bags.

The quantity was not specified but it was believed to be cocaine, said Thai Rath.

Some ten Thai women were arrested last month doing the same thing.

The interpreter said that people travelling to Japan should be especially aware of being asked to carry bags for someone else or share weight loads for other passengers.

Though not confirmed, the suggestion was clearly that the two women were unsuspecting drug mules.

They were on a group tour with a Thai guide who is also being interviewed by Japanese immigration.

Netizens opined that this was going to make travel to Japan more difficult for Thais. Many suspected that the drugs were likely to have originated outside of Thailand.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-07

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many suspected that the drugs were likely to have originated outside of Thailand.

"Many" would be spot on. "Many" no doubt would believe it originated in South America. 

I would have thought there would be a better smuggling route into Japan than via a country like Thailand that has such harsh penalties for smuggling.

I arrived in Tokyo from BKK once & the Japanese customs officer asked me, "Do you have any drugs?" 

I said "No".

"Are you sure? Not even some cocaine?"

I found that quite humorous, so I slapped all my pockets & said "Nope. Fresh out. If I had some I'd share it with you though"

He just looked disgusted & waved me on thru.

18 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

You wonder why the police are arresting Africans ? They certainly bring it in to the kingdom . They are probably behind moving it to japan .

I wonder why they don't grow coca in Thailand. It's about the same climate as Colombia.

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How are the mules 'unsuspecting'?  Surely they must know and be able to identify those who asked them to carry little packets in their bags?

His name was Somchai.

If it was a Nigerian, his name would be Precious.

Edited by jaywalker

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

I arrived in Tokyo from BKK once & the Japanese customs officer asked me, "Do you have any drugs?" 

I said "No".

"Are you sure? Not even some cocaine?"

I found that quite humorous, so I slapped all my pockets & said "Nope. Fresh out. If I had some I'd share it with you though"

He just looked disgusted & waved me on thru.

Happened to me once in Japan also .

Thing I noticed about it was the way he said it .

He said it quite friendly, quietly in a humorous way , 

He didnt seem to say it in an inquisitive official way .

Im sure that some people got caught off guard and replied "Ive got a little bit for later"

And out would come the hand cuffs

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Im sure that some people got caught off guard and replied "Ive got a little bit for later"

Yeah it was like the guy wanted to slip off to the men's room & bump a line off the sink basin.

Just trying to assess your reaction, if you take on a look of panic to a casually asked question they might have reason to search

Sent from my house using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i bet not one nigerian was involved in some way. absolutely not

Could be the handsome white guy from tinder who needs his suitcase carried to Japan as its got the secret combination in it for the safety deposit box we have all been searching for ? 

9 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Just trying to assess your reaction, if you take on a look of panic to a casually asked question they might have reason to search

Hard to explain really , but the way he asked , it seemed to come across as "All right mate , youve just arrived from a country where drugs are rife , we cannot get them here , you couldnt spare me a spliff could ya" .

I sort of apologised and said that I dont have any .

It was only when I got home and thought about it , that I realised the situation .

Seems obvious now , but at the time I thought that he just wanted a quick spliff

The reality is, behind every mule is a thug POS either lying to or extorting/threatening them.  Sadly most end up doing the time anyway because they are afraid of harm to their families or maybe really don't know the extortioner or are just really stupid or naive. 

A lot of the time and resources are put into the prosecution of the person caught, not the source person, so they go on continuing the criminal enterprise and the victims keep stacking up, costing money to keep them in prison for ridiculous amounts of time.  

Are some of the mules not in this category?  I'm sure they are, just giving a different perspective to those that are blinded by justice.  
I know the anti drug crowd is going to jump on me... my flame retardant suit is on.  :)

Edited by Nowisee

6 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

The reality is, behind every mule is a thug POS either lying to or extorting/threatening them.  Sadly most end up doing the time anyway because they are afraid of harm to their families or maybe really don't know the extortioner or are just really stupid or naive. 

A lot of the time and resources are put into the prosecution of the person caught, not the source person, so they go on continuing the criminal enterprise and the victims keep stacking up, costing money to keep them in prison for ridiculous amounts of time.  

Are some of the mules not in this category?  I'm sure they are, just giving a different perspective to those that are blinded by justice.  
I know the anti drug crowd is going to jump on me... my flame retardant suit is on.  :)

Agree only someone massively desperate would do it 

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I think the mountainous regions in Colombia are a lot cooler then Thailand . 

dont know about growing coca but the reason coffee from colombia is highly regarded is related to soil composition-growing conditions.   thai coffee is generally bitter and not highly regarded likely due to different soil composition-conditions

11 minutes ago, atyclb said:

dont know about growing coca but the reason coffee from colombia is highly regarded is related to soil composition-growing conditions.   thai coffee is generally bitter and not highly regarded likely due to different soil composition-conditions

That makes sense , much the same as why grapes don’t do too well here . 

1 hour ago, Nowisee said:

Yeah, if you watch any of the "I Almost Got Away With It" series on Youtube the thugs usually have the mule's families marked/threatened if the mule tries to back out.

5 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

You wonder why the police are arresting Africans ? They certainly bring it in to the kingdom . They are probably behind moving it to japan .

This is crazy comment how would you said sucha thing white are into it more tham the African its Brazil  in Africa.  Why do we alway discredite this part of the world  

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes I got the same treatment...but I think a little lost in translation..

Him-:  Do you have anything in your bags that I should know about....

Me-: No nothing that you should know about...

Him-: OK have good stay..............:omfg: