Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

Before the coup i have held the hope that the planned elections would have gone through. Most definately TRT would have been forming the government again, but with a much smaller majority, and we would again have had a functioning opposition after years of almost singular TRT rule. That would have been a major progress already.

You forget to mention Thaksin whose political plans were unclear. If he stood in elections, all hel_l would broke loose. You also forget to mention TRT dissolution case and what effect it could have on post-election parlament and the government.

It was not a rosy picuture full of hope and happy little elves back then. It was a story of Baudelaire children.

....we have now a time of worsening splits in society

There's no evidence. Anti CNS protests failed to materialise. It's nothing comparing to the situation a year ago when hundreds of thousands of people poored in the streets. We don't have public beatings in center of Bangkok either.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the coup i have held the hope that the planned elections would have gone through. Most definately TRT would have been forming the government again, but with a much smaller majority, and we would again have had a functioning opposition after years of almost singular TRT rule. That would have been a major progress already.

You forget to mention Thaksin whose political plans were unclear. If he stood in elections, all hel_l would broke loose. You also forget to mention TRT dissolution case and what effect it could have on post-election parlament and the government.

It was not a rosy picuture full of hope and happy little elves back then. It was a story of Baudelaire children.

There's no evidence. Anti CNS protests failed to materialise. It's nothing comparing to the situation a year ago when hundreds of thousands of people poored in the streets. We don't have public beatings in center of Bangkok either.

All hel_l would have broke loose? Public beatings?

Bit of an exageration, the "public beatings" were far less than to be seen in an average demonstration or after a football game in the west. "hel_l would have broken loose" - well, would have been the job of police and army to seperate the combatting groups, and not simply stage a military coup and declare martial law.

Anti CNS protests have not failed to materialise, they are small but constantly present. Lets see how many people attend the march next Sunday.

Don't forget though that it's a bit more risky to attend demonstrations under martial law and a military junta than under bad evil Thaksin who has allowed the demonstrations to go on according to the then valid constitution that permitted such demonstrations, unlike the interim constitution that does not contain a right of free assembly.

The situation then was an artificially constructed mess that had to end in a military coup. Nothing else.

And now the government beats every previous Thai government in daftness by miles. I am not exactly surprised that this government has your support.

I don't see the point of the interview.

I figure that for Thaksin the point of the interview was to get his name into the Thai newspapers, and this he achieved.

He may also have foreseen that the broadcast will be blocked in Thailand and may hope that this action will make the current government look bad in the eyes of some Thai people.

--

Maestro

I figure that for Thaksin the point of the interview was to get his name into the Thai newspapers, and this he achieved.

He may also have foreseen that the broadcast will be blocked in Thailand and may hope that this action will make the current government look bad in the eyes of some Thai people.

--

Maestro

too easy ............................. :o

--

Maestro

I sincerely hope this was an attempt at irony, since otherwise it brings the paranoia on this forum to a new height.

Bit of an exageration, the "public beatings" were far less than to be seen in an average demonstration or after a football game in the west. "hel_l would have broken loose" - well, would have been the job of police and army to seperate the combatting groups, and not simply stage a military coup and declare martial law.

Anti CNS protests have not failed to materialise, they are small but constantly present. Lets see how many people attend the march next Sunday.

Don't forget though that it's a bit more risky to attend demonstrations under martial law and a military junta than under bad evil Thaksin who has allowed the demonstrations to go on according to the then valid constitution that permitted such demonstrations, unlike the interim constitution that does not contain a right of free assembly.

The situation then was an artificially constructed mess that had to end in a military coup. Nothing else.

And now the government beats every previous Thai government in daftness by miles. I am not exactly surprised that this government has your support.

The colonel forgets that prior to the coup the police were certainly under the control of Thaksin due to the promotion of his cronies and extended family, as were large sections of the army, to suggest they would have been neutral and 'upheld the law' is laughable.

Newin and Yongyut both planned to attack the PAD, enabling Thaksin to declare a state of emergency in Bangkokfrom New York.

The situation then was Thaksin had refused to answer any questions in Parliament or on TV.

Too cowardly to debate Sonti Limtongkun or Aphisit Wechajira, the leader of the Democrats, the party you like to belittle as without policy, this was the man who said he was a true democrat and came from the people!

Time will tell, how it will rile the Thaksin apologists such as yourself and Lukumar if Thailand emerges with a new constitution, election and cleaner politics.

YOU might want to deny it, but there were rumors of Thaksin using force to disperse the next scheduled PAD rally, just a few days later. Some were even certain that the coup was absolutely necessary to prevent the bigger bloodshed. We'll never know for certain, but in case of Thaksin going back on his word not to take on PMship, major civil unrest was assured. Are you trying to tell us now that reconciliation was just a step away, around Thaksin as a premier?

Do you think we are morons? Police HIRED goons to beat up anti-Thaksin protesters at Central World. How quickly you forget things that don't fit with your version of history. It's not even history yet, it was only half a year ago.

The colonel forgets that prior to the coup the police were certainly under the control of Thaksin due to the promotion of his cronies and extended family, as were large sections of the army, to suggest they would have been neutral and 'upheld the law' is laughable.

Newin and Yongyut both planned to attack the PAD, enabling Thaksin to declare a state of emergency in Bangkokfrom New York.

The situation then was Thaksin had refused to answer any questions in Parliament or on TV.

Too cowardly to debate Sonti Limtongkun or Aphisit Wechajira, the leader of the Democrats, the party you like to belittle as without policy, this was the man who said he was a true democrat and came from the people!

Time will tell, how it will rile the Thaksin apologists such as yourself and Lukumar if Thailand emerges with a new constitution, election and cleaner politics.

When we stay with logic instead of paranoia - then you can see that in the year before the coup the police has been absolutely neutral and soft handed towards the PAD demonstrations. There was not one single incident of police abusing their powers.

The rumors about Newin and Yongyuth attacking the PAD are just that - rumors. Give me evidence of that other than the allegations of Sondhi L., who also propagated that ridiculous Finland declaration.

Ah, yes, Yongyuth had a few guns for the forest rangers, right - that must have been really a thread to the tanks of the army, LOL!

Job of the armed forces is not to interfere in politics, and to stage a coup, but to keep the peace. If it would have come to the situation that either Newin or Yongyuth would have planned to attack the PAD in any substantial way, then i have enough confidence in the intelligence services of the army that they would have know beforehand, and than been able without too much difficulties to disarm the rabble.

For you fanatics everybody who does not hate Thaksin with such a passion as you is a "Thaksin apologist". Nops - it is not enough to simply oppose him, and trust in the people that eventually they would have elected him out of office.

You are pissing away your country, and everything that Thailand could have been because you believe in some romantic fantasy land that never existed outside your own heads.

The world does not circle around Thailand - right now it rapidly leaves Thailand behind as another failed tin pot banana republic dictatorship.

YOU might want to deny it, but there were rumors of Thaksin using force to disperse the next scheduled PAD rally, just a few days later. Some were even certain that the coup was absolutely necessary to prevent the bigger bloodshed. We'll never know for certain, but in case of Thaksin going back on his word not to take on PMship, major civil unrest was assured. Are you trying to tell us now that reconciliation was just a step away, around Thaksin as a premier?

Ahh, right! Because there were "rumors" around - a military coup is justified. Very good reason...

:o

Do you think we are morons? Police HIRED goons to beat up anti-Thaksin protesters at Central World. How quickly you forget things that don't fit with your version of history. It's not even history yet, it was only half a year ago.

I don't think the board rules allow me to answer your question.

Can you give me proof that police hired goons to beat up anti-Thaksin protestors? I mean "proof" - not constructed circumstantial evidence and further paranoid ramblings.

One or two bloody noses is not what i would count as "beating up" anyhow, not at least where i come from, and not in the demonstrations i have attended when i was a kid in a western European democracy that did not need to employ a coup to dispurse far more violent demonstrations. That was a bit of a non-event there at Central World, in terms of violence.

Anyhow, not in one country i know off protestors would have been allowed to come as close to the PM they protested against as in Central World without having had to face far more violent reactions from the security forces.

All in all - the police handled the PAD demonstration with enormous restraint. I must say that i was positively suprised by this.

When we stay with logic instead of paranoia - then you can see that in the year before the coup the police has been absolutely neutral and soft handed towards the PAD demonstrations. There was not one single incident of police abusing their powers.

The rumors about Newin and Yongyuth attacking the PAD are just that - rumors. Give me evidence of that other than the allegations of Sondhi L., who also propagated that ridiculous Finland declaration.

Ah, yes, Yongyuth had a few guns for the forest rangers, right - that must have been really a thread to the tanks of the army, LOL!

Job of the armed forces is not to interfere in politics, and to stage a coup, but to keep the peace. If it would have come to the situation that either Newin or Yongyuth would have planned to attack the PAD in any substantial way, then i have enough confidence in the intelligence services of the army that they would have know beforehand, and than been able without too much difficulties to disarm the rabble.

For you fanatics everybody who does not hate Thaksin with such a passion as you is a "Thaksin apologist". Nops - it is not enough to simply oppose him, and trust in the people that eventually they would have elected him out of office.

You are pissing away your country, and everything that Thailand could have been because you believe in some romantic fantasy land that never existed outside your own heads.

The world does not circle around Thailand - right now it rapidly leaves Thailand behind as another failed tin pot banana republic dictatorship.

I think it had to do with the truckloads of fight ready pro Thaksin people being shipped in from the north that adds credibility to the planned conflict by Thaksin. It is the little details like that give away Thaksin’s game plan. I remember it but please don’t ask me to find it. It is in here some place.

I think it had to do with the truckloads of fight ready pro Thaksin people being shipped in from the north that adds credibility to the planned conflict by Thaksin. It is the little details like that give away Thaksin’s game plan. I remember it but please don’t ask me to find it. It is in here some place.

Please be so kind and try to find it, and while you are at the quest, you might find the soft tissue between your ears as well. At least you might be then too busy to post your usual uneducated blather.

Thank you, and no need to reply to my post.

Edited by ColPyat

These feeble attempts to rewrite historical events of the such very recent past are amusing, if not for the concern that new readers might actually believe them.

Thank goodness there are volumes of factual reports and articles that allow the new reader to see the truth, instead of these misstatements that propose the opposite actually occurred.

Edited by sriracha john

Please be so kind and try to find it, and while you are at the quest, you might find the soft tissue between your ears as well. At least you might be then too busy to post your usual uneducated blather.

Thank you, and no need to reply to my post

You should consider the following good advice:
Then elaborate instead of flame, or just shut up. You contribute nothing other than aggrevate an otherwise civil discussion.
Edited by sriracha john

Thank you, and no need to reply to my post.

Sigh....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84599

I think there is more but this should be enough to refresh your memory.

Ahh, right! Because there were "rumors" around - a military coup is justified. Very good reason...

:D

it of an exageration, the "public beatings" were far less than to be seen in an average demonstration or after a football game in the west. "hel_l would have broken loose" - well, would have been the job of police and army to seperate the combatting groups, and not simply stage a military coup and declare martial law.

I don't think the board rules allow me to answer your question.

Can you give me proof that police hired goons to beat up anti-Thaksin protestors? I mean "proof" - not constructed circumstantial evidence and further paranoid ramblings.

One or two bloody noses is not what i would count as "beating up" anyhow, not at least where i come from, and not in the demonstrations i have attended when i was a kid in a western European democracy that did not need to employ a coup to dispurse far more violent demonstrations. That was a bit of a non-event there at Central World, in terms of violence.

Anyhow, not in one country i know off protestors would have been allowed to come as close to the PM they protested against as in Central World without having had to face far more violent reactions from the security forces.

All in all - the police handled the PAD demonstration with enormous restraint. I must say that i was positively suprised by this.

I searched for 5 minutes and have not found it yet. I will.

The hiring of the man in black and the other scumbags is not a figment of our imagination. After the incident, it was found out that he had been previously arrested for selling yaba. His sentence shortened, released and criminal record erased. Mmmm... He was also filmed receiving orders from police brass, quickly tucking away his neck badge upon seeing a tv camera. :o He's back in jail now. His interrogation was a joke, all of them sitting around a table, smiling for the tv cameras. The very next day news came out about his criminal record.

The other little pukes, all wearing white sneakers, were busy with a 70-year-old man, identified as Itthipol, was seen on TV being stomped on by four or five men until he laid bleeding from his face.

I sincerely hope you're not planning on writing a book with your selection and recall of events. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Re the "man in black" apparent controversy AKA selective memory:-

These articles are from the Nation, and for clarity I have added the links as well as the complete text.

Regards

Nation Wed, August 23, 2006 : Last updated 19:50 pm (Thai local time)

Attackers surrender as footage reveals police complicity

Two mystery men who quelled Monday's anti-Thaksin protest by attacking opponents of the PM - in spite of the large police presence - turned themselves in yesterday.

Their surrender came after the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) threatened to organise more anti-government rallies if police did not handle the matter properly.

The two men were identified as Charan Chong-on, 43, a rubber farmer and Surat Thani native (who wore a black T-shirt during Monday's melee), and Chaiyasit Lamoh, 42, a motorcycle taxi rider from Bangkok's Lat Krabang district.

Their surrender came as the police tried hard to distance themselves from the two men, who were highly sought after by the media and general public for their heavy-handed tactics.

The two men, one dressed in black and another one in peach coloured shirt, were caught on camera by photographers punching and kicking the handful of anti-Thaksin protesters - as uniformed police officers looked on.

The attacks came as the protesters hollered "Thaksin get out" at the entrance of the Central World shopping complex. Thaksin went there for a social function.

Pol Colonel Manit Wongsom-boon, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 6, maintained that the two men were not police officers. "They are definitely not policemen because we would recognise them if they were," Manit said.

Chaiyasit said he and Charan, who he has known for more than 10 years, went to Central World Plaza after learning that opponents of the PM would attend. They went because they liked the prime minister's achievements.

When he heard a man shouting for Thaksin to get out and saw police doing nothing, Chaiyasit said he put the man in a headlock in an attempt to stop him shouting. He admitted he told the man he was a police officer, because he feared the man would not follow him, so he lied that he was a policeman.

Despite Manit's insisting that the two men were not police officers, Pol Colonel Rithirong Thepchandra, investigation superintendent of Metropolitan Police Division 6, was caught on camera talking to Chaiyasit and Charan at least twice during the half-hour melee.

"I was merely curious as to what agency the two men were from," Rithirong said, when confronted by reporters yesterday.

"They told me that they were here to keep order but did not say who they were working for. So I told them to help us maintain order and not go beyond the law," Rithirong said.

Rithirong did not ask to see the two men's credentials. He dismissed suggestions that he turned a blind eye to the beatings by Chaiyasit and Charan "because it was too chaotic".

"When the situation calmed down the two men were gone. My unit is looking for them so we can bring them to justice," he said.

Questions about the identity of the two men grew rapidly yesterday after it became obvious that the large number of uniformed police at the scene did virtually nothing to stop the pair punching and slapping demonstrators.

Television footage showed police clearing the way for the two to drag the demonstrators to waiting police cars.

The drama on Monday took place shortly after Thaksin presided over the opening of the Digital Thai Knowledge Park then left the shopping complex.

The bashings prompted about 30 anti-Thaksin supporters to file a complaint with Dej-Udom Krairit, president of the Law Society, claiming police failed to intervene in clashes at Central World Plaza.

They said that by standing back and watching the violence, the police indirectly backed Thaksin supporters to attack the PM's opponents, Dej-Udom said.

The Law Society would file a lawsuit against police at the scene, he said.

The People's Alliance for Democracy has given the police seven days to arrest the attackers - or it will stage a new round of demonstrations in protest.

Link:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/23...es_30011755.php

Tue, August 22, 2006 : Last updated 21:10 pm (Thai local time)

Alarm grows as protesters bashed

Three hurt, three arrested after PM's minders target protesters on third day of violence

Three people were injured and three others arrested yesterday when fights erupted between supporters and opponents of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. It was the second such clash in three days.

Television broadcasts of the skirmishes showed police failed to intervene.

An elderly man could be seen being kicked and stomped by alleged supporters of the prime minister. Two men shouting "Thaksin, get out" were manhandled and dragged away by others.

According to a top policeman, it was suspected some attackers were policemen in civilian clothes.

"One of them is a man in a black shirt who can be seen on a video recording. Police will look into this," Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of the Metro-politan Police Division 6, said.

Yesterday's clashes occurred shortly after Thaksin departed the Central World Plaza shopping complex. His attendance at the opening of the Digital Thai Knowledge Park was accompanied by tight security. Metropolitan Police commissioner general Viroj Chantarangsi was also present at the function.

Thaksin supporters and opponents sparred verbally outside the building. A man shouting "Thaksin, get out" was punched by another in the crowd.

Police arrested three men during the skirmishes. Those arrested have been identified as Vichai Uasila-phan, 53, Ritthirong Likhitprasert-kul, 68, and Mongkol Boontem, 18.

Vichai and Ritthirong, who shouted anti-Thaksin messages, were charged with causing a public nuisance. Mongkol had been charged with assault, Manit said.

The injured were identified as Itthiphon Sorawitsakul, 70, Vasu-porn Boonmee, 41, and Khwanchai Juimanee, 30.

Itthiphon was knocked down and stomped by more than 10 men until he was unconscious. He required two stitches to the head. Most of his attackers wore new white shoes.

Khwanchai sustained a wound to his left eye and bruising to the head.

Wasuporn was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. She told reporters she was merely an observer. "I'm so scared, I don't want to file a police complaint," she said.

On Saturday, a small anti-Thaksin group was attacked when it shouted at the prime minister as he attended a Royal exhibition at the Siam Paragon shopping mall.

In a related development, government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said the government and the Thai Rak Thai Party denounced the verbal attacks that led to clashes. He accused the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy of instigating the latest melee.

In response to a PAD call for Thaksin to step down, Surapong said there was no guarantee peace would be restored if the Thai Rak Thai leader quit politics.

Senior opposition figures yesterday expressed concern over the escalating violence.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit called on people to act with restraint, warning the situation could get out of control.

"Everyone has the right to free expression but they should also act within limits," he said.

Abhisit said government officials should not treat demonstrators as political puppets, adding that making disparaging comparisons would fuel anger.

Mahachon Party deputy leader Akapol Surasuchart expressed concern political tensions would escalate in the lead-up to the election.

"Thaksin should quickly make his decision whether to take a political break," he said.

The longer Thaksin defied his critics, the more clashes would occur.

He believed the party had fanned a climate of animosity by attacking opponents. He referred to Thai Rak Thai claims opponents were planning a suicide bombing against Thaksin.

Link http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/22...es_30011655.php

The hiring of the man in black and the other scumbags is not a figment of our imagination. After the incident, it was found out that he had been previously arrested for selling yaba. His sentence shortened, released and criminal record erased. Mmmm... He was also filmed receiving orders from police brass, quickly tucking away his neck badge upon seeing a tv camera. :o He's back in jail now. His interrogation was a joke, all of them sitting around a table, smiling for the tv cameras. The very next day news came out about his criminal record.

The other little pukes, all wearing white sneakers, were busy with a 70-year-old man, identified as Itthipol, was seen on TV being stomped on by four or five men until he laid bleeding from his face.

I sincerely hope you're not planning on writing a book with your selection and recall of events. :D

One chaotic event, a couple of typical halfworld figures that may, or may not have been police informers and whatever not, a few bloody noses.

Not exactly much of anything. Well, unless its blown out of proportion by a newspaper that has during the time lost all journalistic distance, and a couple of have no lifes on the net. :D

(*sigh*)... once again, I'd like to ask the participants in this discussion- well, let's make that ONE participant in particular- to focus on argument and opinion rather than personal comments about other participants. If I am eventually forced to identify which participant I mean, he will receive a lengthy posting holiday- and I'm not just *playing* mod.

"Steven"

Thaksin is unfair and unkind to Singapore: former Singaporean envoy

A former Singapore ambassador criticised deposed Thai prime minister of being entirely unfair and unkind to Singapore.

"Thaksin put Singapore in a tight spot. We tried to make his visit as low-key as possible. In some ways, Thaksin was unkind to us. It would have been better if he had done the CNN interview somewhere else," said Kishore Mahbubanim, a former Singapore ambassador to UN.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

then lets do away with all forms of censorship and let all people including children watch whatever they wish......

like hel_l. You can see what the violent video games are doing to them.

Yes, what are they doing to them? Do tell.

Besides reducing the amount of parties they visit, drug they use and alcohol they drink...

Sigh....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84599

I think there is more but this should be enough to refresh your memory.

I said "proof" - not unsubstantiated allegations such as the opinion peace by the nation and whatever came afterwards. Is that so difficult to understand?

And still, vested interests paying mobs to create trouble is nothing Thailand has not seen before, and definately not a reason to stage a coup. Disarming these alleged mobs of rabble should anyhow not have been any problem for the army.

But whatever, dream on ... :o

Colpyat, I provided you with information that was satisfactory to me. If you choose not to believe it (in Typical Thai style) “Up to you!” I am certainly not planning on forcing you to believe anything. You are more than welcome to believe whatever you want and I will not stop you. I only provided it at you kind request.

One chaotic event, a couple of typical halfworld figures that may, or may not have been police informers and whatever not, a few bloody noses.

Not exactly much of anything. Well, unless its blown out of proportion by a newspaper that has during the time lost all journalistic distance, and a couple of have no lifes on the net. :D

Tunnel vision. It was not blown out of proportion by a single newspaper, it was all over tv and newspapers.

Tunnel vision. It was not blown out of proportion by a single newspaper, it was all over tv and newspapers.

Yes, on all newspapers, and repeated here ad nauseum as there was no other event of real violence against the PAD ( apart from a smallish thing in front of the manager office). And this one was not even that violent either.

Yes, blown out of proportion the same way now the meaningless and entirely predictable Thaksin interview on CNN is blown out of any proportion.

The Central World event was the only slight mishap the police managed during the entire period of the PAD demonstrations. This is actually very professional, far more professional than i would have given the police here credit for previously.

I am not going to forget the events at the first march at night to government house when Sondhi and Chamlong decided to the surpise of the other PAD leaders and the police (unarmed) and broke through a police block, clearly trying to aggrevate the situation, while the PAD leaders and Gen. Pramoj held negotiations (the nation brought a small article about this event at the time).

The police though was absolutely professional and has shown in that potentially explosive situation the utmost restraint, and did nothing other than asking everyone to stay calm and keep talking.

So, yes, the police was as impartial as possible during that period. One slip stands against months of utmost restraint.

Here's the latest from CNN by Dan Rivers Jan. 17th

CNN INTERVIEW OF THAKSIN SPARKS ROW

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN ) -- A diplomatic row has erupted between Thailand's military junta and the government of nearby Singapore after CNN's exclusive interview with ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thailand's army rulers issued a statement expressing dissatisfaction that Thaksin had been allowed to meet the Singaporean deputy prime minister.

The meeting was thrust into the limelight when Thaksin broke his four-month public silence by appearing on CNN from Singapore to say "Enough is enough," promising to quit politics for good and expressing the desire to return from exile abroad to private life in Thailand.

Soon afterward, the foreign ministry in Bangkok announced that it was rescinding an invitation to Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yeo, scheduled for the end of January, and was freezing a civil-service exchange program with Singapore.

CNN's transmission of the interview with Thaksin was blocked by satellite company UBC throughout Thailand after the military ordered the country's news media to refrain from carrying any messages or images of him.

During the 30-minute interview, to be broadcast in full this weekend on CNNI's "Talk Asia," Thaksin denied a government claim that he was involved in a series of New Year's Eve bombings in Bangkok in which three people were killed.

He described the allegation as "baseless," adding that he had "no involvement at all" in the attacks and expressing "deepest sympathy for those who lost their loved ones and also all those injured."

Asked if he will return to politics in Thailand, the 57-year-old former leader said, "No. No, enough is enough. Six years you serve the countries. You've been working hard. You sacrifice your time, even your life. And even your family life. So it's, it's time for me to go back as a private citizen. And contribute to the Thai society outside political arena."

The message of reconciliation made front-page news in several of Thailand's newspapers, but local TV stations did not broadcast any portions of the interview.

Giles Ungakaporn, a professor of politics at Bangkok University and anti-coup activist, said the media had been threatened.

Army leaders met last week with Thai media chiefs and asked them not to report what Thaksin was saying. Though possible consequences for disobeying were not spelled out, several media commentators and columnists have said the army leaders implied that doing so could result in sanctions or intervention.

One Thai journalist who asked not to be identified told CNN that members of the Thai television news media were practicing "self-censorship," a decision she described as "not right," but unavoidable.

Martial law remains in place throughout Thailand, despite the army's promise made last October to lift it by the end of 2006. A resolution to do so still has not been approved by the country's constitutional monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Life in Thailand has continued largely as normal since Sept. 19, when tanks rolled onto the streets and, claiming Thaksin was involved in corrupt practices, ousted the democratically elected leader.

Since then, the coup leaders -- who call themselves the Council for National Security -- have failed to present persuasive evidence that would prove their allegations that Thaksin is corrupt.

During its four months in power, the CNS has been accused of committing a series of blunders.

For example, its tax on some portfolio investments caused the stock market to plummet 15 percent in one day, a loss of $23 billion. A policy U-turn the next day exempting equities from the law helped trigger a recovery, but left many economists wondering if the army's leaders were competent to run one of Asia's booming economies.

Other announcements restricting foreign companies operating in Thailand have also unsettled investors.

Together with the clamp-down on the news media and continuing martial law, the reputation of Thailand has become tarnished in the eyes of some in the international community, with the Japan External Trade Organization saying several Japanese firms are considering putting off plans to invest there.

Many are left wondering whether 2007 will be even more tumultuous than were the last 12 months and, crucially, whether Thailand and its 62 million inhabitants are descending toward autocracy and economic decline.

Here's the latest from CNN by Dan Rivers Jan. 17th

CNN INTERVIEW OF THAKSIN SPARKS ROW

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN ) -- A diplomatic row has erupted between Thailand's military junta and the government of nearby Singapore after CNN's exclusive interview with ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thailand's army rulers issued a statement expressing dissatisfaction that Thaksin had been allowed to meet the Singaporean deputy prime minister.

The meeting was thrust into the limelight when Thaksin broke his four-month public silence by appearing on CNN from Singapore to say "Enough is enough," promising to quit politics for good and expressing the desire to return from exile abroad to private life in Thailand.

Soon afterward, the foreign ministry in Bangkok announced that it was rescinding an invitation to Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yeo, scheduled for the end of January, and was freezing a civil-service exchange program with Singapore.

CNN's transmission of the interview with Thaksin was blocked by satellite company UBC throughout Thailand after the military ordered the country's news media to refrain from carrying any messages or images of him.

During the 30-minute interview, to be broadcast in full this weekend on CNNI's "Talk Asia," Thaksin denied a government claim that he was involved in a series of New Year's Eve bombings in Bangkok in which three people were killed.

He described the allegation as "baseless," adding that he had "no involvement at all" in the attacks and expressing "deepest sympathy for those who lost their loved ones and also all those injured."

Asked if he will return to politics in Thailand, the 57-year-old former leader said, "No. No, enough is enough. Six years you serve the countries. You've been working hard. You sacrifice your time, even your life. And even your family life. So it's, it's time for me to go back as a private citizen. And contribute to the Thai society outside political arena."

The message of reconciliation made front-page news in several of Thailand's newspapers, but local TV stations did not broadcast any portions of the interview.

Giles Ungakaporn, a professor of politics at Bangkok University and anti-coup activist, said the media had been threatened.

Army leaders met last week with Thai media chiefs and asked them not to report what Thaksin was saying. Though possible consequences for disobeying were not spelled out, several media commentators and columnists have said the army leaders implied that doing so could result in sanctions or intervention.

One Thai journalist who asked not to be identified told CNN that members of the Thai television news media were practicing "self-censorship," a decision she described as "not right," but unavoidable.

Martial law remains in place throughout Thailand, despite the army's promise made last October to lift it by the end of 2006. A resolution to do so still has not been approved by the country's constitutional monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Life in Thailand has continued largely as normal since Sept. 19, when tanks rolled onto the streets and, claiming Thaksin was involved in corrupt practices, ousted the democratically elected leader.

Since then, the coup leaders -- who call themselves the Council for National Security -- have failed to present persuasive evidence that would prove their allegations that Thaksin is corrupt.

During its four months in power, the CNS has been accused of committing a series of blunders.

For example, its tax on some portfolio investments caused the stock market to plummet 15 percent in one day, a loss of $23 billion. A policy U-turn the next day exempting equities from the law helped trigger a recovery, but left many economists wondering if the army's leaders were competent to run one of Asia's booming economies.

Other announcements restricting foreign companies operating in Thailand have also unsettled investors.

Together with the clamp-down on the news media and continuing martial law, the reputation of Thailand has become tarnished in the eyes of some in the international community, with the Japan External Trade Organization saying several Japanese firms are considering putting off plans to invest there.

Many are left wondering whether 2007 will be even more tumultuous than were the last 12 months and, crucially, whether Thailand and its 62 million inhabitants are descending toward autocracy and economic decline.

There are certain opposition figures to the not very democratic Singaporean family run state that Singapore would have gone even more crazy over if Thailand had allowed them high profile meetings with its ministers. There is an irony in this little spat.

Just to make a few notes here:-

The violence was reported world-wide, not just in one local paper. If our "6 a day friend" would care to look there are references to this, and other incidents on Reuters and the BBC, both of whom have correspondents here and do do not use agency reports, amongst others.

The key issue in this incident was the acquiescence of the police which was so clear. This did at least have the result of making such a recurrence {of the lack of action} more unlikely.

Personally, I had considerable issues with the Thaksin government style, and I am somewhat puzzled as to the selective memory of publications such as Newsweek, which portray the previous government as creating some kind of FDI paradise, whereas the truth was that in this matter there is only a hair's breadth of difference in intent between them and the junta. Though I would accept that the junta would not know a public relations technique if they fell over it.

I have watched, with growing sadness the viability index of Thailand as an investment location fall over the last seven years and see no likelihood that this will recover in the short to medium term. Without the investment in education and real poverty reduction, not lip service & a loan system designed to cement the ties between the lender {authorities} and the recipient , Thailand runs the real risk of being sidelined in economic terms.

Sad but true

Regards

// edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

Just to make a few notes here:-

The violence was reported world-wide, not just in one local paper. If our "6 a day friend" would care to look there are references to this, and other incidents on Reuters and the BBC, both of whom have correspondents here and do do not use agency reports, amongst others.

The key issue in this incident was the acquiescence of the police which was so clear. This did at least have the result of making such a recurrence {of the lack of action} more unlikely.

Personally, I had considerable issues with the Thaksin government style, and I am somewhat puzzled as to the selective memory of publications such as Newsweek, which portray the previous government as creating some kind of FDI paradise, whereas the truth was that in this matter there is only a hair's breadth of difference in intent between them and the junta. Though I would accept that the junta would not know a public relations technique if they fell over it.

I have watched, with growing sadness the viability index of Thailand as an investment location fall over the last seven years and see no likelihood that this will recover in the short to medium term. Without the investment in education and real poverty reduction, not lip service & a loan system designed to cement the ties between the lender {authorities} and the recipient , Thailand runs the real risk of being sidelined in economic terms.

Sad but true

Regards

// edit typo//

You have identified the crux of problems in Thailand. Sadly there seems to be little will to take action on the nexus of education and poverty reduction. This is especially true when whole poverty stricken areas can still be controlled by paternalistic politicians. The last thing they would want is better education.

That incident is on youtube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y8BGYQBV7f0

The opinion piece in the Nation mentioned that Sondhi has recieved an intellegence report regarding violence at the coming PAD rally. It's not really an opinion, in might be an incorrect information or a completely made up information, but it's not an opinion.

"Proof" means different things to different people. The military acts on intellegence it receives and it has its own ways of verifying that intellegence. As far as I know they never ask the courts to check if the intellegence is correct.