US couple arrested for taking naked selfies in Thailand have been released from jail

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

The fact that the authorities here made such a big stink about it will dissuade many people from coming to this police state. 

The Tourism Authority of Thailand made the announcement this week, stating that the country had received 32.59 million foreign visitors last year

www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/02/02/thailand-record-breaking-numbers-overseas-tourists

Yes, I can see the tourism industry collapsing over this.  As I've stated earlier the Pink travel market Thailand now welcomes is the Chinese gay community.  And if nothing else positive can be said about them, they keep their pants up at religious sites.

Homophobia caused several of your friends to deceive their female heterosexual life partners into civil union for the purpose of disguising their sexual preference if I understand what you have stated.

If I cheat on my taxes does that make me suffer from homophobia just a little bit?  I fail to see how serious character flaws are the fault of anyone other than oneself.  Your friends need to learn they have control over their  response to others behaviour.  Seeking help for low self esteem issues is far more productive than screaming it's all homophobia's fault.

I made no comments whether or not the wife knew of the fact that her partner was in fact gay.

But of course you choose to focus on something that was never claimed..

I agree, they should follow their own path, but in doing so they were sure to loose their family, A choice no-one should ever have to make. And since most of the examples I talked about are from Thailand and Lao, loosing your parents Is a huge deal.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

The quality of your communications have seriously deteriorated to the point furhter engagement is not enjoyable.
Really, so without knowing the exact circumstances of the cases I talked about, you still feel you can make this assessment? Amazing

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I made no comments whether or not the wife knew of the fact that her partner was in fact gay.

I agree, they should follow their own path, but in doing so they were sure to loose their family, A choice no-one should ever have to make. And since most of the examples I talked about are from Thailand and Lao, loosing your parents Is a huge deal.

I apologize to your friends as I didn't know that their female wives where aware that they were marrying homosexual men.  I believe that back in the day this was called having a beard in gay circles.  Fortunately western men in the position your friends were in can save face by joining the catholic clergy.

So did the wives know or not know they were marrying homosexuals that only wanted to marry a woman to make their parents happy and to avoid the bigotry associated with homosexuality?

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I don't want to see their ugly  posteriors in Paris, or Rome or Topeka and I certainly don't want to see them in a place where  people behave in a restrained manner.

Well keep away from their web site then.

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So you have a lot of personal experience in that prison?

If they had gotten a long sentence, you can be sure word of why would have spread. 

As far as homophobia, that has been much more severe from non-Thais about that, but don't push the myth that Thailand doesn't have it's own flavor of homophobia.

Yes, I have personal experience of being in Bangkok Remand Prison so what I say is not speculation.

Word of their convictions would not necessarily spread due to being there longer unless they disclosed it themselves. Prison guards do not have discussions with prisoners about other inmates' convictions and prisoners do not have access to what is happening in the outside world, they do not get newspapers, neither do they have access to television news.

"...don't push the myth that Thailand doesn't have it's own flavor of homophobia".

I haven't pushed any such bizarre myth, why do you suggest that I have?

19 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Not just opinion, forum rules (#10) seems to confirm it is wrong, too bad the moderators allow this crap to stay online...

No, rule 10 confirms nothing of the sort, too bad some posters do not appear able to read that well.

FYI...

"10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.
You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension
".

No, rule 10 confirms nothing of the sort, too bad some posters do not appear able to read that well.

FYI...
"10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.
You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension
".
Sorry scroll to the next rule....

On 10/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, attrayant said:

Have a look at the annual 'Moon Amtrak' event, which has been going on for over 30 years and has nothing to do with being gay:

It has a web site and an official YouTube channel.

The problem with official YouTube channels is every aR$ehole can get one... There  is no barrier for entry unfortunately 

A few people asked if they're still in Thailand. Based on previous reports talking about five days or more of processing the answer is probably. When they arrive in San Diego the press there is likely to cover it. It's not turned out to be a big US national story since the initial arrest but mostly a local San Diego story.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So casual to suggest such a sadistic sentence. Imagine what a year in Thai prison would do to your life especially if you already had health problems.  

Not saying either of them does because I have no idea, but lots of people do. Jail should be only for serious crimes.

Think twice? Do you think they ever would have done that again in Thailand even if they had been let out with a fine when they were caught at the airport? I don't.

Whether they continue or not with their photo hobby in other nations really isn't the concern of Thailand.

What do you think what happens if they are in middle east or Indonesia and try it at a mosque? Maybe a challenge for them as a gay couple !

USA is even harder. I recall a Dutch couple just overstaying their vacation visa by a week in the USA. They were slammed in jail with the biggest criminals !!   Yeah that is a real serious crime in USA. 

What do you think what happens if they are in middle east or Indonesia and try it at a mosque? Maybe a challenge for them as a gay couple !

USA is even harder. I recall a Dutch couple just overstaying their vacation visa by a week in the USA. They were slammed in jail with the biggest criminals !!   Yeah that is a real serious crime in USA. 

The mosque thing in a Muslim country has been discussed ad nauseum. Obviously they'd be well screwed if they did that but I assume they would realize that and not do it there . They obviously bought the Kool-aid myth that Thailand is a liberal anything goes country. That was stupid.

Your USA comment irrelevant. They didn't have an overstay issue.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The mosque thing in a Muslim country has been discussed ad nauseum. Obviously they'd be well screwed if they did that but I assume they would realize that and not do it there . They obviously bought the Kool-aid myth that Thailand is a liberal anything goes country. That was stupid.

Your USA comment irrelevant. They didn't have an overstay issue.

You mentioned , jail was a too hard punishment for this. So it is about punishment and not about overstay.

Thats how i brought up your lovely USA. You know what can happen in Thailand and they almost enjoyed it. They were damned lucky not going to jail and just a very low fine.  It is a land, you also get punished by saying something wrong about the king, you go to jail.

Maybe they should try Hong Kong, if police interpreted it as sex , you go to jail for 5 years. Maybe also suitable for getting a hard on.  

By Thai law and being Thai law enforcers, they could have slammed them to jail instantly, same as USA does.

Too bad they didnt do it, as you cant behave yourselfs as USA gays

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You mentioned , jail was a too hard punishment for this. So it is about punishment and not about overstay.

Thats how i brought up your lovely USA. You know what can happen in Thailand and they almost enjoyed it. They were damned lucky not going to jail and just a very low fine.  It is a land, you also get punished by saying something wrong about the king, you go to jail.

Maybe they should try Hong Kong, if police interpreted it as sex , you go to jail for 5 years. Maybe also suitable for getting a hard on.  

By Thai law and being Thai law enforcers, they could have slammed them to jail instantly, same as USA does.

Try it in saudi... 

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is a land, you also get punished by saying something wrong about the king, you go to jail.

You do not have to say anything. A couple of years ago one chap went to the police and said his brother had said something uncomplimentary. The brother spent a year in the monkey before charges were dropped.

I agree they are lucky.
I do not agree with your homophobic obnoxious generalization about US gays. They are only two people. They aren't the totality of US gays. It so not surprising that the Antigay bias rears its ugly head so many times on these topics and with you throw in some anti Americanism for good measure.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree they are lucky.
I do not agree with your homophobic obnoxious generalization about US gays. They are only two people. They aren't the totality of US gays. It so not surprising that the Antigay bias rears its ugly head so many times on these topics and with you throw in some anti Americanism for good measure.

Again you cant read, there are 2 guys involved from USA and they are gay, so USA gay guys.

I said nothing about other USA gay guys.

But just about USA you are right, its just a f****ed up country, leaders to destruction.  

Again you cant read, there are 2 guys involved from USA and they are gay, so USA gay guys. I said nothing about other USA gay guys. But just about USA you are right, its just a f****ed up country, leaders to destruction.  

Your text said  

... you can't behave yourselves as US gays.

That refers to all US gays.

I can't read eh?

Maybe you can't write.

As far as your unabashed anti Americanism well I share the view that the US government and culture is deeply flawed. But I think unlike you I wish that the good people that are there work very hard to make things better.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll take that bet. They made an understandable but big mistake thinking Thailand is more liberal than it is. Nobody thinks Saudi is liberal.

some people think USA is also liberal, but noway, only for rich