My wife wants to ditch TrueMove Satellite – Can you recommend some thing Please

Monkie Business

44 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Cancel True and hope they leave your dish and cable. Go to Sat shop and buy a GMM or similar KU band box and connect it to the True dish. Not sure about the True LNB as all True channels are on the horizontal. Might need to change it.

If True take back the dish they will leave the cable and a new dish won't break the bank.

Although the vertical or horizontal voltage are controlled by the set top box the True LNB which uses a 11.3Ghz frequency (high band) would need to be swapped out for a universal LNB which uses two frequencies of 9.75Ghz & 10.6Ghz so a person can get all available KU band channels.

If the OP only plans to use "one" set-top box he can get a single output LNB; if he want to do "two" set-top boxes he needs to get a two output LNB.  Either one will just cost a couple hundred baht.  If he plans to use more than two boxes then it get just a little more complicated in needing to buy a multi-switch for about Bt500 to Bt1000. 

And if the OP wants to avoid rain fade common with KU band satellite TV he needs to go with a C Band dish/LNB setup.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, Monkie Business said:

You Sir are a very lucky man :biggrin:  

Thank you ,yes i am ,we have been married over 20 years and she is not only an inteligent woman ,but a very hard worker and she has a lovely family who accepted me and have been my friends for all this time , the same goes for my family they like her very much ,I think it helps that most are well traveled ,speak English and quite well educated .That is not to denigrate poorer people as i have friends married to former farm girls who have very happy marriages .:smile:

18 hours ago, Monkie Business said:

I have searched and searched to try and find out what the Free channels are on True Vision but can't see a list , any one know where I can find a current list :thumbsup:

The system we have is called True Smart Choice. It provides 35mbps DOCSIS internet for 599THB, and free TV with box/dish. I only need the internet part but the TV comes free from True so wife uses it very occasionally, although she prefers internet as well.

If you want the most free-to-air Thai  channels and practically no rain fade signal loss go with a C-band/large dish setup.   

Even companies like TrueVisions who use KU band only broadcast maybe around 50 to 75% of all the free-to-air Thai channels.  Of course many free-to-air channels are not much more than mom-and-pop business/small companies having a go at a TV channel.

A KU-band/small dish setup really only has one major advantage over a C-band setup and that is it uses a much small dish which more people can utilize especially since more and more people are becoming city dwellers where they may be able/only allowed to mount a small KU band dish on their residence but not the bigger C-band dish. 

That's why in many small cities you can see a lot of small KU band dishes on multi-story dwellings but not too many C-band dishes.    And when some people move they might just take the small KU band dish off the wall outside one of their windows and take it to their next residence.   Not so likely with a big C band dish.

C band dishes are best for folks who can mount whatever dish size they want....like living in a house vs living on the X-floor of a highrise.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to every one for your suggestions :thumbsup:

Just an update . I have been away from home and left the wife to get as much info as she can, then on my return I would sort things out .

So my wife seems to think for her the Free to Air channels available the True Vision True Digital HD 2 set top box would be the best . She got the following information from a True Vision shop .

1 cost of the True Digital HD 2 set top box – 1,690 Baht
2 cost of the dish -1,200 Baht
3 cost of the dish installation and set top box setup – 1,500 Baht

So a total of – 4,390 Baht

My wife was told that both the current True Vision set top box and satellite dish would be removed if we cancel our current True Vision package.

The best option ive found to date would be to buy this package from Lazada for 2,475 Baht .

True Digital HD 2  Box + True Ku-Band 75 Cm Dish 

https://www.lazada.co.th/true-digital-hd-2-true-ku-band-75-cm-ku-band75-cm-2-13692634.html

A saving - 1,915 Baht compared to the price my wife was quoted at the True Vision shop.

The way I though about doing this was .

Buy the Lazada  True Vision True Digital HD 2 package before I cancel the current True Vision package , then I install the new package dish in the exact same position as the current True Vision dish and connect up the existing coaxial cable to the new True Vision True Digital HD 2 set top box . 

Once the new  True Vision True Digital HD 2 box is up and running then cancel the existing  True Vision package.

Hopefully if I install the new satellite dish in the same position as the current dish , then every thing should work fine with the new set top box .

The only possible problem that I can see is if I don't get the new dish in the correct position but I'm not sure what I could personally do about that .

Any thoughts on my above plan ?

29 minutes ago, Monkie Business said:

The only possible problem that I can see is if I don't get the new dish in the correct position but I'm not sure what I could personally do about that .

Any thoughts on my above plan ?

It will help if you can note as accurately as possible where the existing dish is pointing, its elevation and angle that the LNB has been offset. If you are lucky the new dish will drop into the satellite footprint leaving you to fine tune its position using the receivers signal info. 

Use google images to understand satellite dish elevation and LNB offset.

A local installer wont charge much to align a dish and to give you best signal for when its cloudy.

3 hours ago, maxpower said:

It will help if you can note as accurately as possible where the existing dish is pointing, its elevation and angle that the LNB has been offset. If you are lucky the new dish will drop into the satellite footprint leaving you to fine tune its position using the receivers signal info. 

Use google images to understand satellite dish elevation and LNB offset.

A local installer wont charge much to align a dish and to give you best signal for when its cloudy.

So do you think receivers signal info can be possibly seen by using the set up option on the True Vision box to fine tune the dish position . Good idea about noting the current dish position , may be I can take some photographs and measurements  before I touch the current dish . 

Not sure what  - Use google images to understand satellite elevation and LNB offset -  means ?

The local installer ( only 1 ) has a poor reputation and un trustworthy , so I'm hoping I won't need to ask him to set the dish up .

4 hours ago, Monkie Business said:

My wife was told that both the current True Vision set top box and satellite dish would be removed if we cancel our current True Vision package.

They sure didn't remove our KU band TrueVision KU dish when we cancelled years ago.  All they wanted was the settop box and subscription card back.    Too much work to remove a satellite dish/cabling, etc.

And when we canceled TrueVision "cable" mid 2017 once gain they only wanted the settop box and subscription card back....they left the cabling inside the house and the cabling outside the house which is still connected to the trunk line.  Too much work to remove cabling, etc.

Anything is possible, but don't be surprised if they say one thing (i.e., take the box "and dish" back) but only take the box back.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Anything is possible, but don't be surprised if they say one thing (i.e., take the box "and dish" back) but only take the box back.

When we cancelled our TrueVisions sat TV subscription last year they took the boxes and the dish too but left the cables.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

They sure didn't remove our KU band TrueVision KU dish when we cancelled years ago.  All they wanted was the settop box and subscription card back.    Too much work to remove a satellite dish/cabling, etc.

And when we canceled TrueVision "cable" mid 2017 once gain they only wanted the settop box and subscription card back....they left the cabling inside the house and the cabling outside the house which is still connected to the trunk line.  Too much work to remove cabling, etc.

Good point , never trust what they tell you :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Monkie Business said:

Ive installed this app on my Android mobile phone 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diemsfirma.satausrichter

its a Satellite Finder .

its asking me to select a satellite name ( out of many ) 

Any one know what I should select for the True Vision Digital HD 2 box 

ThaiCom 5/6/7

https://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5-6-8.html

Archived