EU to resume political contact 'at all levels' with Thailand

webfact

EU to resume political contact 'at all levels' with Thailand: statement

2017-12-11T152840Z_1_LYNXMPEDBA126_RTROPTP_4_ASEAN-SUMMIT.JPG

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha attends the opening session of the 31st ASEAN Summit in Manila, Philippines, November 13, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The European Union will resume political contact "at all levels" with Thailand, its foreign affairs council said on Monday, after putting relations on hold following a 2014 coup by the Thai military.

The move comes after Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha announced in October that a general election would take place in November 2018 - the most precise date the junta has given after many delays since the 2014 coup.

The government, however, has yet to end a political ban that would allow political parties to campaign ahead of the vote.

The EU is Thailand's third trade partner after China and Japan. Thailand is the EU's third-largest trading partner in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

Thailand exported goods worth €19.6 billion ($23.11 billion) to the EU in 2015, according to the European Commission.

"The Council decided to resume political contacts at all levels with Thailand in order to facilitate meaningful dialogue on issues of mutual importance, including on human rights and fundamental freedoms, and the road towards democracy," the EU's Foreign Affairs Council said in a statement.

In June 2014, the EU said it would keep its relations with Thailand under review and put on hold the signing of a Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), which was aimed at closer economic and political ties with Thailand.

It has expressed concerns over freedom of expression in the country and has called for a swift return to democracy.

The signing of PCA and talks on EU-Thailand Free Trade Agreement (FTA) could resume with a democratically elected civilian government under the new Constitution, the statement said.

The United States also downgraded ties with Thailand following the coup, scaling back joint military exercises, among other things.

According to the European Commission, the EU exported goods worth €13.4 billion ($15.80 billion) to Thailand in 2015, including machinery and transport equipment.

($1 = 0.8480 euros)

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-12

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

The move comes after Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha announced in October that a general election would take place in November 2018 - the most precise date the junta has given after many delays since the 2014 coup.

I have to admit that my first thought was "don't do it now, wait for a firm, solid and specific commitment such as the election date being gazetted".

But, this is a classic EU diplomatic move; mention the specific date (November 2018) and then add a little 'carrot'

I hope that this move will strengthen the push for elections to occur on schedule. And if they don't, swift and punitive action on economic matters.

I've noticed that Facebook is buzzing with activity as the silly section of the Bangkok middle class react in outrage at the very idea of the EU taking a position...we are not a colony etc

Still silly as they are, they do have a point.I don't really see that foreigners can sit on judgement ...especially as current events show outsiders are in no position to moralize.

And in the grand scheme of things Thailand isn't a very bad offender - no torture, no deaths, a lively social media and press.More like a dull toothache.

Change must be in the hands of the Thai people.

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thailand isn't a very bad offender - no torture, no deaths, a lively social media and press

Guess we differ there in opinion.

Torture: yes - unfortunately I will land in jail for giving the links, but you can find them out there (start your search with FB pages of people the government said you should not follow)

No deaths: maybe ask Ko Tee about that... oh wait, too late according to media as he has been killed abroad by what can best be described a team of foreign elite soldiers

Lively social media and press: sure, as long as they don't say the wrong things that will violate the computer crime act, bring "national security" in danger, can be seen as lese majeste, or defames someone.

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I've noticed that Facebook is buzzing with activity as the silly section of the Bangkok middle class react in outrage at the very idea of the EU taking a position...we are not a colony etc

Still silly as they are, they do have a point.I don't really see that foreigners can sit on judgement ...especially as current events show outsiders are in no position to moralize.

And in the grand scheme of things Thailand isn't a very bad offender - no torture, no deaths, a lively social media and press.More like a dull toothache.

Change must be in the hands of the Thai people.

The EU stance is a fairly simple one; we can continue relations and business as normal when you’re a democracy again. 

Thailand can can do whatever it likes. Just don’t expect other countries to go along with it and act like there’s nothing wrong. You can’t have your cake and eat it when it comes to the international community. Something Thailand has to adhere to or they can simply stagnate. 

This is nothing more than the EU pretending that the PM really means there'll be an election in November. Just keep playing along as to make it harder and harder for him to suspend it again. Much like when you know your mate is lying about coming out at the weekend. You keep plugging away at ideas and you watch him squirm 'cos you know he's lying. At the very least you can have fun winding him up. 

Seems reasonable move by the EU since a commitment to an  election date has been made and as well as throwing a carrot to the junta to get them to follow through on their promise they now have stick to use should anything change.

How funny are the morals of the western powers, USA, Europe, Australia - Dictatorship ratings. 

China - Ok Dictatorship

Myanmar - Bad Dictatorship

Cambodia - OK Dictatorship

Vietnam - Good Dictatorship

Singapore - Fantastic Dictatorship

Russia - Good and Bad Dictatorship

Laos - (Who) Unknown Dictatorship

Thailand - Getting better Dictatorship

Saudi Arabia - Fantastic Dictatorship

Syria Iran etc Horrible Dictatorship

Dictatorship: a country ruled by a dictator or dictators

Dictator: ruler who is not effectively restricted by a constitution, laws, recognised opposition, etc

This move by the EU will ensure another military coup the next time someone does not approve of the elected government.:sleepy:

It never ceases to amaze me how many (Expats?) TV members are so critical of the Junta and any progress it makes.  That the EU should take this step is a positive step-  whatever way you look at it.  And yet most of the same TV members that are always so critical of  the Junta are also over-critical of Thais and Thailand, and they often state how 'silly, selfish, corrupt, bad, incompetent' things are here.  Thailand has always been 'less than efficient and organised' (except at times of wars or celebrations) and corruption has always been here, and the people are very under-educated - all that is true as so often stated by some TV members.  And yet these same TV members want the Thai people to vote for a new Govt that will be just as (if not more) silly, selfish, corrupt, bad, incompetent, than all the previous Govts (both elected and Military).  It seems to me that they are 'Junta is bad' no matter what happens, and 'Democracy is good' no matter how bad it was. Which to me smacks of their inherent belief that everything is 'better' in those countries they come from - themselves included.  IMO the Junta is doing a great job, and they are as bad, and in many things are much better, than all the previously elected Govts.  And IMO, just like the Junta, I dont think the Thai people are ready yet to elect a fair and decent Govt - and I dont see a large amount of candidates that would deliver that either.  What I see is a lot of candidates willing and ready to get back on the 'gravy train' - which will then result in yet another Junta takeover in the future.

Clearly some TV members need to read up on Thailand's political history, and then they may realise that it has never been perfect, and that at the very least the Junta stopped the outbreak of severe violence between the fanatics, which IMO would have destabilised the country and resulted in disaster - especially following the events of the last year or so. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Thailand

18 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many (Expats?) TV members are so critical of the Junta and any progress it makes.  That the EU should take this step is a positive step-  whatever way you look at it.  And yet most of the same TV members that are always so critical of  the Junta are also over-critical of Thais and Thailand, and they often state how 'silly, selfish, corrupt, bad, incompetent' things are here.  Thailand has always been 'less than efficient and organised' (except at times of wars or celebrations) and corruption has always been here, and the people are very under-educated - all that is true as so often stated by some TV members.  And yet these same TV members want the Thai people to vote for a new Govt that will be just as (if not more) silly, selfish, corrupt, bad, incompetent, than all the previous Govts (both elected and Military).  It seems to me that they are 'Junta is bad' no matter what happens, and 'Democracy is good' no matter how bad it was. Which to me smacks of their inherent belief that everything is 'better' in those countries they come from - themselves included.  IMO the Junta is doing a great job, and they are as bad, and in many things are much better, than all the previously elected Govts.  And IMO, just like the Junta, I dont think the Thai people are ready yet to elect a fair and decent Govt - and I dont see a large amount of candidates that would deliver that either.  What I see is a lot of candidates willing and ready to get back on the 'gravy train' - which will then result in yet another Junta takeover in the future.

Clearly some TV members need to read up on Thailand's political history, and then they may realise that it has never been perfect, and that at the very least the Junta stopped the outbreak of severe violence between the fanatics, which IMO would have destabilised the country and resulted in disaster - especially following the events of the last year or so. 

Ludicrous nonsense at so many levels.The fact that he references his "argument" with a Wikipedia extract is evidence of the banality.His ignorance is underlined by the laughable suggestion made that Thailand is efficient and organized at time of war; clearly his in depth reading has not taken into account (for example) the Thai Laos border war of 1987/8.The education system in Thailand is certainly flawed but I have seen no evidence on this forum that members critical of the government suggest the Thai people are not capable of making rational choices when given a chance to do so.He absurdly and pompously aligns his opinion with the Junta (which he thinks is doing a "great job") suggesting the Thai people aren't ready to elect a decent Government.How this arrogant racist bile squares with his belief that foreigners are too critical of Thailand is a logical muddle perpetuated by an apparently addled brain.Here is some news for this fellow.Many here have long experience of Thailand stretching back many decades and have read widely and deeply.We have seen how millions of decent Thais have shown courage and determination in the fight for democracy in the 1970s and after.And as a footnote don't deal in lies (perhaps sheer ignorance) in suggesting the Junta stopped the outbreak of severe violence before it seized power.It was a situation its leaders played a key role in engineering.

40 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Elvis, I thought you'd left the building?

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Guess we differ there in opinion.

Torture: yes - unfortunately I will land in jail for giving the links, but you can find them out there (start your search with FB pages of people the government said you should not follow)

No deaths: maybe ask Ko Tee about that... oh wait, too late according to media as he has been killed abroad by what can best be described a team of foreign elite soldiers

Lively social media and press: sure, as long as they don't say the wrong things that will violate the computer crime act, bring "national security" in danger, can be seen as lese majeste, or defames someone.

I'm not suggesting there haven't been significant abuses: clearly there have.My point was that taking a Western global and strategic foreign policy position, Thailand is not seen as a particularly pressing problem and there is merit is slowing down China's influence.

3 hours ago, alant said:

What good is the election when the new constitution ensures a military majority?

well it would ensure a back-door shadow government , no need for coups in the future times .  

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

elvis has drank the kool-ade ......nuff said

5 hours ago, alant said:

What good is the election when the new constitution ensures a military majority?

True but I will take the chance with democracy which is more predictable than a post coup junta government which is very unpredictable. That’s even not include the dismal economic stalemate and the suffering of the marginalized citizens created by the political instability and incompetency of the military governing the country. I hope the elected government will take steps to dismantle bit by bit of the constitution and laws that favor non elected officials and military intervention. 

2 hours ago, darren84310 said:

Yeah yeah yeah..... it's all Trump's fault.... Do you have any idea how bitter you people sound?

No mate - they have no idea.  It is hilarious - they think their opinions matter.

The EU has recognised the real situation in Thailand - but they never will.

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

Of course they can sit in judgement.... admittedly it may have no effect, if Thailand proffers the middle finger, as N Korea is doing, to name one

international organizations like the United Nation etc etc are in place to do just that, but this is nothing new. The church used to excommunicate people (or countries) if they wanted to

international sanctions are not new.... Thailand, as an international player, on the other hand, is new (obviously comparatively), and if it wants to play with others, it must play within the accepted guidelines, or expect sanctions

uneducated people may not realize this, and therein lies the uncontrolled mob guided by mass hysteria.

44 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

No mate - they have no idea.  It is hilarious - they think their opinions matter.

Their opinions do matter.... perhaps only to them, but that is besides the point.

ones opinions are a reflection of ones character.... it’s hard to belittle one, without belittling the other.

sure... argue against others opinions (that’s what these types of forums allow)... but try to refrain from belittling others, as that is against forum policy (to say the least)

Edited by farcanell

eu bla bla who needs  politic eu style...well i dont...just keep trade relations...not more...why the europaens always try to export their life concepts ....nobody need that in Thailand....they need a strong man a good leader.....but no bs eu style...see spore...there they up on top way ahead of eu...eu means mass crime and mass unemployment greece style...banks run the place governments in their knees ...extreme high taxes for feeding into banks and their socialist pockets here in th nobody wants that...my advise for the thai leaders stay away eu as far as u can ...if they ban u its a blessing if they block your trade go to china for business they don't mess into your inner affairs...a bad leader is 100 time better than the eu political bs

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Of course they can sit in judgement.... admittedly it may have no effect, if Thailand proffers the middle finger, as N Korea is doing, to name one

international organizations like the United Nation etc etc are in place to do just that, but this is nothing new. The church used to excommunicate people (or countries) if they wanted to

international sanctions are not new.... Thailand, as an international player, on the other hand, is new (obviously comparatively), and if it wants to play with others, it must play within the accepted guidelines, or expect sanctions

uneducated people may not realize this, and therein lies the uncontrolled mob guided by mass hysteria.

After the coup there was a sharp reaction from the US, Japan and Europe given the miltary's power grab from a democratically elected government.(Pedants, spare us boring messages about the small print.I know the detailed history but a quick summary is needed)

Over time Japan, the US and now the EU more or less caved in.Here are the reasons.Firstly the Thailand regime is not a violent one.Secondly there was a poll of sorts that went the Junta's way.Thirdly there's an awareness that an amoral and rising China will take advantage if the West is inflexible.Fourthly Thailand remains under any conceivable government a friendly power.Fifthly the regime may be unsavory but it has promised elections in 2018.Despite the rigged constitution this is seen as better than nothing.Sixthly there are too many other frigging foreign policy problems without having to worry about Thailand - which isn't a threat to anybody.

Your comparison with N.Korea is  a fatuous highlight in what in my view is a profoundly stupid post.Other Asian countries spurn lectures from Western democracies - Vietnam,China,Cambodia,Malaysia,Indonesia,Myanmar.Western democracy isn't seen as a model these days - partly for good reasons (hello Donald) and partly for rotten ones (corrupt bullying elites throughout the SE Asian region who don't want popular participation in politics.More importantly the perc eived link between democracy and prosperity seems weaker or even broken now.