Making Crunchy Pickles

Jet Gorgon

I have made pickles several times, but the cukes aren't as crunchy as I like, although all my Thai neighbours love them. Any suggestions for creating the perfect crunch factor?

I usually do the regular brine thing, add layers of dill, baby cukes, cauli heads, garlic cloves, and a few big chilis for colour. I tried the refrigerator cooling process as I do not have a root cellar (hee), but that didn't work either.

Any hints, Forum Chefs?

I only use onions (pickled onions) but found that after soaking in brine for 24 hours, rinse them well and ensure that they are as dry as possible before putting them in the vinegar. Leaving them in the sun to dry doesn't appear to w*rk. I use kitchen towel paper and dry each one individually.

Also ensure the onions/veg are very fresh.

tutsi, next time I go back to the US I will be sure to buy you some Dill seeds and you can grow your own :D

love ya to bits, darlin' :o

Awwwww. That's so sweet.

I get fresh dill at the wet market, but it's a hit'n'miss affair. SBK, how do you grow dill here? Thought it was too hot and sultry. Thanks, Tutsi, will check out the other thread for the crispy crunch pickles.

It was years ago, but my dill grew just fine. I am right on the sea, so perhaps we don't get as hot as the inland. I didn't do anything special, just planted it!

Here is a great website that gives everything you ever wanted to know about dill such as:

Dill is commonly regarded as the Anethon of Dioscorides. It was well known in Pliny's days and is often mentioned by writers in the Middle Ages. As a drug it has been in use from very early times. It occurs in the tenth-century vocabulary of Alfric, Archbishop of Canterbury.

The name is derived, according to Prior's Popular Names of English Plants, from the old Norse word, dilla (to lull), in allusion to the carminative properties of the drug.

Lyte (Dodoens, 1578) says Dill was sown in all gardens amongst worts and pot-herbs.

In the Middle Ages, Dill was also one of the herbs used by magicians in their spells, and charms against witchcraft.

But also more useful info like:
Dill is a hardy annual, a native of the Mediterranean region and Southern Russia. It grows wild among the corn in Spain and Portugal and upon the coast of Italy, but rarely occurs as a cornfield weed in Northern Europe.
and
This annual is of very easy culture. When grown on a large scale for the sake of its fruits, it may be sown in drills 10 inches apart, in March or April, 10 lb. of the seed being drilled to the acre, and thinned out to leave 8 to 10 inches room each way Sometimes the seed is sown in autumn as soon as ripe, but it is not so advisable as spring sowing. Careful attention must be given to the destruction of weeds. The crop is considered somewhat exhaustive of soil fertility.

tutsi, next time I go back to the US I will be sure to buy you some Dill seeds and you can grow your own :D

love ya to bits, darlin' :o

Awwwww. That's so sweet. I get fresh dill at the wet market, but it's a hit'n'miss affair. SBK, how do you grow dill here? Thought it was too hot and sultry. Thanks, Tutsi, will check out the other thread for the crispy crunch pickles.

sarcasm?...maybe a hint ob jealousy?...sbk, sort this gorgon woman out...we don't want no cat fights on the thai visa crunchy pickles thread...

:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

SBK's web quote: "In the Middle Ages, Dill was also one of the herbs used by magicians in their spells..."

Wahahahahaaaa. Cat fight???

I think SBK is a lovely, honest, considerate, helpful soul, who shares many gifts with TV viewers.

You, on the other hand, Tutsi Roll, have not contributed any hints on pickle making, home spirit control, knitting or the niceties of Thailand. May I request you get your own cheese whiz, chuckles and pickles from another source. I could send you some special dill to boost your spirit.

Kind regards,

Jet

SBK's web quote: "In the Middle Ages, Dill was also one of the herbs used by magicians in their spells..."

I think SBK is a lovely, honest, considerate, helpful soul, who shares many gifts with TV viewers.

You, on the other hand, Tutsi Roll, have not contributed any hints on pickle making, home spirit control, knitting or the niceties of Thailand. May I request you get your own cheese whiz, chuckles and pickles from another source. I could send you some special dill to boost your spirit.

Kind regards,

Jet

wrong, Ms gorgon, wrong...you were supposed to retort 'I'll crunch yer pickle, you presumptuous bastid...'

:o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Kind regards,

Jet

wrong, Ms gorgon, wrong...you were supposed to retort 'I'll crunch yer pickle, you presumptuous bastid...'

OK.

'I'll crunch yer pickle, you presumptuous bastid...' And then I'll give you a kiss of my bullwhip on the right buttock.

Vinegar will help with the crunch factor

How long do you pickle your veggies?

I hope at least 3 months or longer

Yep, I always use vinegar. Thanks. Three months...I can't keep my neighbours waiting more than a week. They start foraging through my fridge and cupboards the day after, but I hold 'em off for seven. Not enough empty jars to do more and there's nowhere to hide them anyway. :o

Vinegar will help with the crunch factor

How long do you pickle your veggies?

I hope at least 3 months or longer

Yep, I always use vinegar. Thanks. Three months...I can't keep my neighbours waiting more than a week. They start foraging through my fridge and cupboards the day after, but I hold 'em off for seven. Not enough empty jars to do more and there's nowhere to hide them anyway. :o

The longer time period(3 months) allows the vinegar to properly dessicate the pickles.

My mother used to make pickled garlic among other pickled veggies, and we had many different batches, the oldest was over 20 years old.

The old stuff was reserved for my father and his guests.

The older, the better, kinda like wine.

The best way to ensure crunchy pickles is to put a couple grape leaves in each jar. I realize it may be hard to get grape leaves here, but it's what both of my grannies used. Are you using enough alum in the recipe? That helps them be crucnchy, too.

I have made pickles several times, but the cukes aren't as crunchy as I like, although all my Thai neighbours love them. Any suggestions for creating the perfect crunch factor?

I usually do the regular brine thing, add layers of dill, baby cukes, cauli heads, garlic cloves, and a few big chilis for colour. I tried the refrigerator cooling process as I do not have a root cellar (hee), but that didn't work either.

Any hints, Forum Chefs?

If making Eastern Euopean style pickled cucumbers:

1tbs salt for 1L water

with garlic, dill and pickling spice

add 1 grape vine leaf ( or wallnut tree leaf (where you'd find one of them ?????) or horseraddish leaf) to each jar when filling jars.

No idea if you use same leaves when pickling with vinegar

Thanks for hints, everyone. Cathyy and Hongkongfooey, grape vine leaves? Boy you guys are getting exotic! :o I wonder if bay leaves would substitute or mebbe a local leaf. That might be a fun experiment, as long as I don't poison anybody.

I know Pampal, I would store them longer but they just seem to fly off the shelf, especially whem I include the big chilis. Maybe I could hide a few jars under the bed. Kinda keep the dust motes and roach carcasses company.

I do what are called cold pack dill's. Note these MUST stay refrigerated, as they are not processed to full temp for room tem storage. The advantage is they stay very crisp.

The following will do about 2 quarts:

Take 4 large cucumbers and slice thin 3-4 mm.

Using two cleaned 1 quart glass jars, place in each jar:

1 TBS Pickling spice (Villa or foodland usually carries)

5 whole peeled garlic cloves

1/2 to 1 dried red chili

1 tsp sugar

1/2 bunch fresh dill, cut the stem end down so the whole stalk can fit in the jar.

Place the sliced Cucumbers in the jars.

Make a simple 50% brine with 2 cups water and 2 cups 5% white vinegar, adding about 1/4 cup sea salt...If you use Iodized less may be necessary. Bring is brine to a boil, and top off each jar with the hot brine, make sure its close to the top rim full, if not enough brine you can top it off with a bit of boiling water.

Put lids on jars and allow to come down to room temp, then place in refrigerator. I like to let mine pickle for about 2 weeks, but they can be used after a couple days.

Remember this are not canned, and must stay refrigerated.

LtLOS

• 7 months later...

Kind regards,

Jet

OK.

'I'll crunch yer pickle, you presumptuous bastid...' And then I'll give you a kiss of my bullwhip on the right buttock.

9 months later and not a hint of delictable brutality as miz Jet implies...to use a masculine term 'you puss...'

to my nieces, looking up at me with their unfathomable black eyes...'there is a woman on the internet that wants to inflict delicious pain on yer uncle tutsi...'...'but, uncle tutsi, isn't pain suposed to hurt?'...tutsi: 'perhaps in a literal world...but let's talk figuratively...'

OK, let's cull recipes from Norton's Anthology, shall we? Wooden spoons at dawn?

you gettin' inta hot water over here miz Jet...I've gunned down badass falangs on soi Nana at dawn fer less...

but...lez be friends...ain't no reasons to get upset about pressure cookers/pickles...

either that or you be lookin' at dat serpent headdress an' be missin' sumpin' :o

(lads, please take note of tutsi's way ob handling the ladies...a kind word does not go amiss...all miz Jet has to do is chuckle suggestively and your hero will be reduced to a quivvering mass...but, ye don't want them to KNOW that... :D )

Are you using large onions? I have never seen smaller onions in Thailand. If you use the larger onions how long do you pickle them for.

I only use onions (pickled onions) but found that after soaking in brine for 24 hours, rinse them well and ensure that they are as dry as possible before putting them in the vinegar. Leaving them in the sun to dry doesn't appear to w*rk. I use kitchen towel paper and dry each one individually.

Also ensure the onions/veg are very fresh.

wooden spoons, not guns. You took a break to cook something, didn't ya? Cheater.

did sum ribs; always a big hit wid the family...got sum beef on the go with green papaya tenderisin'...later to do sum stew...the wife's birthday today, hope it turns out OK... :D

(cheater???...I want to knaw the reptiles offa yer skull, thou vile and bewitching, impure and unchaste heathen... :o:D )

did sum ribs; always a big hit wid the family...got sum beef on the go with green papaya tenderisin'...later to do sum stew...the wife's birthday today, hope it turns out OK... :D

(cheater???...I want to knaw the reptiles offa yer skull, thou vile and bewitching, impure and unchaste heathen... :o:D )

You misquoting Lear or Henry, you spearchucker? Don't leave the papaya on too long now, it's not like soaking kidney beans. Happy Birthday to Mrs Tutsi.