extending 30 day tourist - same as a 60day?

sorry old chestnut.....can i get a 30 day extension on a 30 day tourist visa nb in the same way i can extend a 60day SETV?

my point being im trying to work out whether its worth the hassle of getting a 60d SETV as for my particular plans im going to have to end up doing a border run anyway!

(my situation save anyone needing to ask= arrived 10 Nov on a 60, got till 8 Jan, was going to extend 30 then go Ranong come back in, then 30+ 30 ext took me to April 9 ish, then leave country then to avoid Songkran (13 14 15 april)....Now plans change i have to got to go UK(Dad died )back 22 dec.

1. If back on a tourist 30d i get to 20Jan, extend 30(NB IF POSSIBLE) =19 feb go ranong, stamp to 20 Mar, extend 30 = 19 apr so still able to stay before leave april 9 )
  2. if back on a 60d SETV then get till feb 19 extend 30 (FOR SURE) =21 mar , leaving me 19 nights short of april 9 so id have go to Ranong anyway

So my point again is why bother getting a 60d visa exempt if youre going to have to do a border run anyway? An important point is that Lady from Liverpool visa Office says in order to get a 30 day extension on a tourist 30, you have to prove you have a return flight within that extended 30 day period(i wont have that!) but i have raised this before on here and a few replied to say you get your extension regardless of return flights , any thoughts on that too? thanks

you could get a re-entry permit at the airport before departing for the UK.  that would keep your SETV entry 'alive' and when you return, you'd be stamped in until jan 8 (same as before).  then you could keep your original plan intact.

getting a re-entry permit at the airport is fairly simple.  at suvarnabhumi, you present your passport and the people at the desk do everything for you for a fee of 200thb.  just fill out a form.  they take a photo for you.

as to the question, the extension for a visa exempt entry is the same process as an extension for an SETV.  at CW in bangkok, i've never had to show any flight details.

52 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

can i get a 30 day extension on a 30 day tourist visa nb in the same way i can extend a 60day SETV?

Yes.

53 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

my point being im trying to work out whether its worth the hassle of getting a 60d SETV as for my particular plans im going to have to end up doing a border run anyway!

If you travel without a visa the airline might insist on an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

55 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

An important point is that Lady from Liverpool visa Office says in order to get a 30 day extension on a tourist 30, you have to prove you have a return flight within that extended 30 day period(i wont have that!) but i have raised this before on here and a few replied to say you get your extension regardless of return flights , any thoughts on that too?

They are giving wrong information. You do not need to show any flight out of Thailand when applying for a 30 day extension.

you could get a re-entry permit at the airport before departing for the UK.  that would keep your SETV entry 'alive' and when you return, you'd be stamped in until jan 8 (same as before).  then you could keep your original plan intact.

getting a re-entry permit at the airport is fairly simple.  at suvarnabhumi, you present your passport and the people at the desk do everything for you for a fee of 200thb.  just fill out a form.  they take a photo for you.

as to the question, the extension for a visa exempt entry is the same process as an extension for an SETV.  at CW in bangkok, i've never had to show any flight details.
You're quite right and that's useful to know. But my point was rather that whether I stick to original plan (and original exit dates) either way I'm going to have to go to Ranong(or leave country another way)

So the point was rather, why spend £35 on an SETV and a trip to Liverpool, or even 200 baht on a reentry permit to be pedantic

Either way I'll have to go to Ranong so why pay, or organise, anything was what I was meaning, might as well just go out and in again...... Nb that's all provided I've weighed it up correctly of course! [emoji848]

thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

people that visit thailand frequently try to avoid visa exempt entries as immigration will likely pull you aside for an interview after you've had 6 visa exempt entries (over the course of a couple years).  i'm not sure what your travel history is or will be.  if you are a frequent traveler to thailand, the re-entry permit makes sense as it avoids a visa exempt entry.  and there is a limit to visa exempt entries using land borders, 2 per calendar year.

• 2 weeks later...
people that visit thailand frequently try to avoid visa exempt entries as immigration will likely pull you aside for an interview after you've had 6 visa exempt entries (over the course of a couple years).  i'm not sure what your travel history is or will be.  if you are a frequent traveler to thailand, the re-entry permit makes sense as it avoids a visa exempt entry.  and there is a limit to visa exempt entries using land borders, 2 per calendar year.

Interesting, as I got a bit of hard time last night from the female immigration officer.

She questioned me twice how long I was staying and I said 30 days and I move on. Although she didn't specifically ask about an onward flight. I explained I was just on a golf holiday, retired not working etc but think she was dubious. Possibly looking at my passport and seeing I've been coming every year for last 5 years.

I also explained why I had gone out and come back(Dad's funeral).

It concluded with her giving me an exempt entry but she strongly recommended I get a non O next time! What puzzles me is why I wasn't just given an exempt entry without question as I have only used 1 such thing in last 10 years(and that was a visa run at Ranong) all the rest have been visas. Well other than just the sheer amount of time spent here, that's the only reason I can think of! I thought you got 30 days on airport entry as of right, no?

So I'm kind of interested to know... Was I lucky to get in, or unlucky to be questioned?

1 hour ago, thecolonel said:

I'm kind of interested to know... Was I lucky to get in, or unlucky to be questioned?

i'd say unlucky to be questioned.  i might have this backwards but i think i've read on this forum that some members avoid female officers.  glad you made it through.  it can be tough coming off a long haul flight, especially after a death in the family.  then you get hit with basic questions by the IO but the mind isn't working so good !!

3 hours ago, thecolonel said:

So I'm kind of interested to know... Was I lucky to get in, or unlucky to be questioned?

You were unlucky. I think the reason for the increased scrutiny was the combination of visa exempt entry and long periods of time in Thailand in recent years. That said, most immigration officials would have been satisfied after a question or two. I note that you were not referred to a supervisor, so you were never really at risk of denied entry.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:17 PM, thecolonel said:

So the point was rather, why spend £35 on an SETV and a trip to Liverpool, or even 200 baht on a reentry permit to be pedantic

The Re-Entry permit itself is 1000 Baht.  The 200 extra is for the office at the airport to handle the pic + details.

6 hours ago, thecolonel said:

It concluded with her giving me an exempt entry but she strongly recommended I get a non O next time! What puzzles me is why I wasn't just given an exempt entry without question as I have only used 1 such thing in last 10 years(and that was a visa run at Ranong) all the rest have been visas. Well other than just the sheer amount of time spent here, that's the only reason I can think of! I thought you got 30 days on airport entry as of right, no?

It was "the sheer amount of time spent here" - they don't like that at the airports, generally.  

You have no "right" to enter Thailand unless you are Thai - though I know what you mean.  The visa-exempt entry is the most precarious way to enter, because you are literally asking immigration's permission for your stay.  Arriving with a Visa, the MFA has already given you permission to come, though immigration can still reject for cause (not done often).

Edited by JackThompson

It was "the sheer amount of time spent here" - they don't like that at the airports, generally.  

You have no "right" to enter Thailand unless you are Thai - though I know what you mean.  The visa-exempt entry is the most precarious way to enter, because you are literally asking immigration's permission for your stay.  Arriving with a Visa, the MFA has already given you permission to come, though immigration can still reject for cause (not done often).
Put it this way..... I'll never do it again! Lesson learned, and noted re officer gender!