Report an a go go

elgenon

You have to be careful in go go bars.

Some time ago I happened to be sitting in one minding my own business. The place was almost empty and there were plenty of empty stools. Suddenly, this scantily dressed ( to be generous ) nubile young woman plonked herself in my lap and started running her fingers through my hair ( my head is shaved but she found some elsewhere.)

She could have sat almost anywhere else and I was affronted that she wanted the stool I was sitting on.

Anyway....to cut things short, not satisfied with wanting my stool she had the temerity to ask me to buy her a drink.

Well ...... I won't be put upon much less sat on so I left. Who knows where it would have ended if I hadn't.

Did not leave a 10 baht tip.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Utterly ASTOUNDING that so mamy here excuse and even condone overcharging...while being so quick to condemn the victim. :1zgarz5:

Consider that just B10 x 50 bins per night = B500 x 300 nights = B150,000. Nice RIPOFF...especially when it could be many more bins than this example.

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Utterly ASTOUNDING that so mamy here excuse and even condone overcharging...while being so quick to condemn the victim. :1zgarz5:

Consider that just B10 x 50 bins per night = B500 x 300 nights = B150,000. Nice RIPOFF...especially when it could be many more bins than this example.

Yes, go to Police and report them, and please let us know how it goes ..:coffee1:

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, go to Police and report them, and please let us know how it goes ..:coffee1:

Wow, well done! Didn't think a perfect example of a non sequitur was possible, but you achieved it with your totally absurd and ridiculous response. Applause worthy stupidity...:clap2: 

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Wow, well done! Didn't think a perfect example of a non sequitur was possible, but you achieved it with your totally absurd and ridiculous response. Applause worthy stupidity...:clap2: 

Apart from insulting, what is your point ?

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, elgenon said:

I did. I got a nasty look but she got the correct change. So I have to remember to count the change each time. It's not the 10 baht, which is nothing, but I think on larger bills it is more. It's the lack of transparency. Do they fail to provide correct change for BFs? I'm saying be careful and check your change. Nothing wrong in advising that. So much easier if they returned the correct amount. Imagine if you are with a group having a good time with a large bill and you don't bother to count the change as you never had a problem in the past. What have they deducted? I always tip but I want to be the one who decides how much.

'...but I think on larger bills it is more".

What do you base that on, guesswork, or something more solid?

On 15/12/2017 at 1:25 PM, bubba45 said:

TIT.  They get away with what they can.  Most people don't count their change.  I usually don't either, but can't recall the specifics, but once I looked at what I was given and it was obvious I was shortchanged (maybe there should have been a 20 or two, and they only gave me 100s - really stupid on their part!).  So I looked and sure enough I was short.  I told the waitress in thai I wanted my money.  She sheepishly looked at me and toward the cashier.  I insisted.  She finally went back and got the correct change.  All you can do is look out for yourself, reporting them will do no good.  They pay the police.  Insist on the correct change, live with it, or simply quit going there.

If you really need to meet the girls, get their number and meet them outside.

Absolutely, I've been short changed more than a few times but it's mostly been 100 baht notes from supermarket cashiers or even the 7s, not bars or whatever.  As soon as I've noticed it happened (normally when the cash that I knew I had in my wallet doesn't add up) I remind myself of the need to check the change everywhere every single time, then as time progresses with no incident, I get lax and it happens again.  Par for the course.  Your'e lucky it was 10 baht.   

As to running up tabs in the bars, don't mind SO much if they are bars with  modern till systems that generate an updated single bill as you add drinks to it (which I check regularly, especially if I've just bought 3 or 4 drinks for folks).  These places where they just scribble out hand written single receipts on a per drink / order basis and just stuff each one into an increasingly full bin as the night goes on (and a bin that's VERY hard to keep track of), no way!  On the occasions I have let them mount up I've pulled out the phone and totted up the amount due before paying.  

Not everywhere or everyone will be out to rip you off but sadly too many are to risk leaving it to chance, and of course mistakes do happen.  More inclined to get problems depending on where your'e drinking, the time of night it and how wrecked they think you are I guess.  That said, it's not only Thailand where enterprising staff have sought to increase their salary at my expense, happened plenty of times in Europe as well (one of the common ones in London clubs being paying with a £20 note and getting change from £10 - of course, that was at a time when costs were such that you'd actually expect any change from a £20 note LOL).

Edited by SooKee

22 hours ago, Just Weird said:

'...but I think on larger bills it is more".

What do you base that on, guesswork, or something more solid?

When I glanced at my change on a larger bill. Didn't have time to actually count it as my friend starting leaving.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

Absolutely, I've been short changed more than a few times but it's mostly been 100 baht notes from supermarket cashiers or even the 7s, not bars or whatever.

this is what i was going to say earlier but i was too lazy to type it out.  just recently a market on sukhumvit shorted me 200thb.  my bill was 840thb and i gave 1,040thb.  they gave me zero change.  might have been a mistake ?  usually, it happens when they give change but not the proper amount (eg, if i'd paid 1,000thb on the above, they'd give me 60thb).

i've found the usual 'scam' in the go go bars is adding a drink when you didn't order it.  rather than shorting people on change.

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So...based on nothing, then. 

No I saw it was short but being a bit tipsy and in a hurry I didn't count it out exactly. I could see the number of bills was wrong. I roughly counted it.

Anyway, in the past I counted out my change several times and it was always short. I did take to asking the total, so we both new I knew, and stating the amount of change I should get.

But to do that you have to be pretty sober and not too distracted.

I have no problem giving a healthy tip, but several times I know I gave a healthy tip on top of their deduction. Not the end of the world but it is nice to be upfront about what is going on.

At another bar I was told if the change is 10 baht you won't get it. It was funny because I told the server to give me the 10 and I would hand her 20 for herself. Not bad tip for 1 drink.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:22 PM, elgenon said:

No I saw it was short but being a bit tipsy and in a hurry I didn't count it out exactly. I could see the number of bills was wrong. I roughly counted it.

Anyway, in the past I counted out my change several times and it was always short. I did take to asking the total, so we both new I knew, and stating the amount of change I should get.

But to do that you have to be pretty sober and not too distracted.

I have no problem giving a healthy tip, but several times I know I gave a healthy tip on top of their deduction. Not the end of the world but it is nice to be upfront about what is going on.

At another bar I was told if the change is 10 baht you won't get it. It was funny because I told the server to give me the 10 and I would hand her 20 for herself. Not bad tip for 1 drink.

You may have some sort of victim or rip him off about your persona.

There have been other reports like this on here one guy saying he has been short changed at every 7-11 and Foodmart in the city.

Funny, I have gone to Gogo's and probably visit a 7-11 or market 2 to 3 times every day.  So, in the 1000's of times I have been in these places, not once have I been short changed.

But if yours is "always short" you may want to check outside the box....

On 12/19/2017 at 1:05 PM, buick said:

this is what i was going to say earlier but i was too lazy to type it out.  just recently a market on sukhumvit shorted me 200thb.  my bill was 840thb and i gave 1,040thb.  they gave me zero change.  might have been a mistake ?  usually, it happens when they give change but not the proper amount (eg, if i'd paid 1,000thb on the above, they'd give me 60thb).

i've found the usual 'scam' in the go go bars is adding a drink when you didn't order it.  rather than shorting people on change.

got to keep ones guard up all the time as soon as you drop your guard that when you get stung.