Extension of stay while holding work permits in two different provinces

Hi.  I’m having a complication with my extension of stay and would appreciate your advice.

I have worked for a Thai government department in Bangkok for the past nine years and also have had a part-time job with a Thai private company in Nontaburi province for the past seven years.  I have a work permit for each company, valid until 30 Sep 2018. 

For the past seven years I had had no trouble in getting extension of stay at Chaengwattana, but this year (September 2017) I was told that I must apply for the extension in the province where the private job is.

As I was going about this process, my mother died and I had to go back to my home country, so I didn’t get the extension before I left Thailand, and my extension of stay ran out while overseas.

Therefore, I had to go to the Thai embassy in my country and get a Non-Immigrant B visa (single entry).  I received the Non-Immigrant B visa from the embassy, with the name of the Thai government department where I work written on the visa stamp (but not the name of the private-company job).  At Suvarnabhumi I was admitted for three months.

I plan to go to Nonthaburi Immigration this coming week but I have heard conflicting stories about the extension of stay application process:

1.  That I have to apply for the extension of stay in Nontaburi first, based on my work permit with the private company in Nontaburi.  2.  That before applying for the extension of stay in Nontaburi, I will be required to cancel my work permit and extension of stay for the government job in Bangkok.

If anyone has knowledge about the situation I describe, would you please tell me about the process to follow to get an extension of stay, while keeping both jobs.

Thank you.

If Nonthaburi immigration follows normal practice for granting extensions of stay on the basis of working, there should be no issue. However, the case of two separate work permits is sufficiently unusual that anomalous polices are possible. You will need to try it and see. What would possibly concern me is minimum income. They might only want to consider income from your private employment. Is that sufficient to reach the threshold without your government job income?