Smoking ban: 50,000 butts found on Jomtien beach, but Pattaya's doing a great job!

rooster59

Smoking ban: 50,000 butts found on Jomtien beach, but Pattaya's doing a great job!

25396164_1739778689376391_514907714784311492_n.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

A meeting at City Hall, Pattaya, was told by the instigators of the beach smoking ban that 56,000 cigarette butts have been found on Dongtan beach.

That was in the period since the ban came into force on November 1st until 13th December.

But Thanet Mannoi of the Department of Coastal Resources Region 2 was still upbeat about Pattaya's response to the ban.

He said though the authorities in the resort had been slow at first they were now on top of the problem and doing a good job, reported Sophon Cable TV on Facebook yesterday.

Smoking areas have been set up and beach operators and, more importantly, the public and tourists were increasingly aware of the ban and its consequences to the environment.

Those consequences also involve pocket books and personal liberty come February 1st - that is when 100,000 baht fines and one year jail terms come into force for smoking on the beach.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-16
cleardot.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Deleted the post since I can't be bothered to joke about it and people don't get the joke of it anyways...

Edited by ezflip
deleted the post since I can't be bothered to joke about it and people don't get the joke of it anyways...

2 minutes ago, ezflip said:

56,000 butts does not occupy the same volume of space as, let's say, 56,000 plastic bottles or 56,000 cans or 56,000 Styrofoam plates or 56,000 plastic bags or...

But, hey, never-mind that. Keep up the good work single-in out the butts in order to become the butt of a world class joke.

Talk about focusing on the tree instead of the forest.

The logic - when you can afford to smoke, you can afford to pay.

3 minutes ago, ezflip said:

56,000 butts does not occupy the same volume of space as, let's say, 56,000 plastic bottles or 56,000 cans or 56,000 Styrofoam plates or 56,000 plastic bags or...

But, hey, never-mind that. Keep up the good work single-in out the butts in order to become the butt of a world class joke.

Talk about focusing on the tree instead of the forest.

Are there 56 000 cans on the beach though ?

As per the original post, 56,000 butts in 43 days, 1,300 butts per day.

It is odd, I walk along that beach  couple of times a week and have never seen more than a few cig butts on the beach or footpath, Have never seen anyone counting cig butts, picking up cig butts.

I have said 100 million times, dont exagerate.

25 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The actual figure is 56,341.  I am employed by Jomtien as a butt counter.  My work permit was granted on the grounds that Thais cannot over 100.

Were you trained by ex tourism minister Kobkarn?

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As per the original post, 56,000 butts in 43 days, 1,300 butts per day.

It is odd, I walk along that beach  couple of times a week and have never seen more than a few cig butts on the beach or footpath, Have never seen anyone counting cig butts, picking up cig butts.

I have said 100 million times, dont exagerate.

The actual figure is 34 butts counted but 56,000 is same same but different

As with many instances, the Gov't can always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! The message we read is all about cigarette buds (butts), which makes us wonder of what all the fuss is about versus the other terrible plastic polluters.

What they fail to communicate is, in fact cigarette butts are not bi-degradable cotton ....... but fine plastic. Has the authorities communicated that message, people would be more understanding - I for one, had no idea ........

Are cigarette butts biodegradable?

Most cigarette filters are composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic. The white fibers you see in a cigarette filter are NOT cotton, but a plastic that can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic. 

Edited by IamNoone88

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I'm surprised they found someone who can count to 56,000.

absolute made up number.  They are just trying to justify the crap they come up with.  Why dont they just tell tourists not to come, save everyone the bother .  I am in Malaysia right now, sat at a cafe bar smoking shisha together with probably 20 others i can see in three bars.  This place is buzzing with tourists enjoying themselves not in fear that they will be thrown off a balcony, held to ransom by a jetski operator or thrown in jail for having a fag.

The big flaw in this plan is the utterly false pretence that the presence of ciggie butts in the sand leads to the false conclusion that they were deposited there by careless people smoking on the beach.

All forms of rubbish is highly mobile.  Surface run off from rains and the subsequent floods willbe resposible for the majority of the 56000 suposed butts on the  beach. Most of which would have been dropped inland.  Water flows downhill and into the sea.

To give a clear example: How do coke cans get in the ocean? Do people drink cans of coke in the ocean or does mother nature through wind, water and the passage of time move it into the sea?