Smoking ban: 50,000 butts found on Jomtien beach, but Pattaya's doing a great job!

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

So 56,000 butts have been found ? Did they take them away or just count them ? Its not like Thai authorities to miss a photo op like that.

Yes, it didn't happen until we see a picture of 12 high ranking officials surrounding the pile of butts with a suitable label stating the number, and someone pointing!

Don't get it.  Why single out dog-ends?  A quick google produced "The filters on one pack of 20 cigarettes weigh 0.12 ounces (with no tobacco attached) and displaces a volume of 10 mL".  So, 56,000 of 'em weighs about 10 kilos.  

Can't see the headline   "10 kilos of rubbish found on a beach"   getting a lot of attention.

This is incredible forethought by the person in charge of cleaning up beaches. A fictitious 56k cigarette butt count now, shows this person is doing a great job in the future, when his position is justified by senior overseers when they turn up to see  much cleaner beaches. In actual fact they would only be viewing an unchanged situation, as a TRUE count today would indicate.     

12 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

its good to see that the raw sewage, plastic bags and other rubbish is not keeping butts off the beach !

not to mention the human hershey bars and dog logs washing up on shore 

4 hours ago, William T said:

When you can afford to smoke, you can afford to carry your own ashtray and not throw your rubbish anywhere you like.

someone call a wa wa wambullance  for some of these complainers ....worry about the raw sewage , every day thousands of gallons of chicken grease , needles, .

bodies , ton's upon tons of industrial waste being pumped and piped into ocean . cigg butt are a pain , but a minor one in the big scheme of bad things at the beach .....

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

Don't get it.  Why single out dog-ends?  A quick google produced "The filters on one pack of 20 cigarettes weigh 0.12 ounces (with no tobacco attached) and displaces a volume of 10 mL".  So, 56,000 of 'em weighs about 10 kilos.  

Can't see the headline   "10 kilos of rubbish found on a beach"   getting a lot of attention.

Exactly. "Butts" is fine click bait and enables our comedians to play to the gallery and reap plenty of likes. Hee hee!

I walk everyday with my girlfriend on jomtien beach and we are disgusted about how dirty the beach are but we only see very few cigarettes butts everyday we see Thai leave there rubbish when them go home yesterday I ask please take it with you and they said why someone come and clean up and I said no that is your duty and thaiman tell me to <deleted> up and leave Thailand and him start fighting me and my girlfriend I decided to just back off and go sit another place but it is not a nice beach anymore to dirty to meny cars play laugh music and some of the beach look like a bus station we counting 25 busses 

Totally big pollution 

11 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

I walk everyday with my girlfriend on jomtien beach and we are disgusted about how dirty the beach are but we only see very few cigarettes butts everyday we see Thai leave there rubbish when them go home yesterday I ask please take it with you and they said why someone come and clean up and I said no that is your duty and thaiman tell me to <deleted> up and leave Thailand and him start fighting me and my girlfriend I decided to just back off and go sit another place but it is not a nice beach anymore to dirty to meny cars play laugh music and some of the beach look like a bus station we counting 25 busses 

Totally big pollution 

Henrik,I know what you mean,some years ago at Jomtien immigration when told to get jet another copy done, to add to the large pile I already had,I did as I always do, just got up and made my way to the shop next door to get a copy done,I said to the young lad doing the copying why so many copies needed,he said,"it' creates work for us",might be the same mentality for litter.

On 12/16/2017 at 8:45 PM, Globalres said:

As regards vaping, this is seen in Europe as a healthier substitute.  Not saying it is without risks.  The problem seems to be in some countries that it is not allowed due to taxes, since it’s not considered a tobacco product.  Why not just tax vaping licquid the same way as tobacco, problem solved!? Well  well.........

My understanding is that government agencies won’t approve a new method of ingesting poison as that would make them liable, in 2050, for a new round of tobacco style law suits.... if they wanted to charge a tax, they could do that as easily as on any other product being imported..

Edited by farcanell

44 minutes ago, farcanell said:

My understanding is that government agencies won’t approve a new method of ingesting poison as that would make them liable, in 2050, for a new round of tobacco style law suits.... if they wanted to charge a tax, they could do that as easily as on any other product being imported..

We all tend to come up with our own rationalizations, but I think your explanation is wide of the mark.

It is based on a degree of fact though.  There is a myth doing the rounds that e-cigs are harmful, indeed even more harmful than cigarettes.  This originated from a flawed study done under lab conditions where liquid was burnt at very high temperatures, which produced high amounts of formaldehyde.  In reality, it is impossible to inhale that sort of vapour.  It is in fact even a dry puff produces a coughing fit.

The Thai authorities seem to have taken this as definitive proof that ecigs are harmful, thus ignoring the overwhelming and more reliable studies on the subject, dismissing them as partisan.

One suspects this is more about financial motives and I wonder if they would not be allowed if the Government was in a position to control the market as a monopoly- as with the cigarette market.

It is unknown if ecigs are completely safe because they haven't been around long enough, so if someone wants to insist they are dangerous then it is impossible to make a counter argument.  But the assertion that they are hazardous is no more than a fear/prejudice.

0% nicotine liquid could not be described as poisonous.  Nicotine may be described as poisonous if too much is ingested, but that goes for a lot of substances- alcohol is poisonous full stop, and caffeine ingested in large doses is lethal.

Edited by mommysboy