Govt approves 3,000 more prison guards

rooster59

Govt approves 3,000 more prison guards

By The Nation

The government has approved the hiring of 3,000 more prison guards to deal with understaffing, Corrections Department director-general Narat Sawettanan said on Saturday.

He said there are about 320,000 inmates nationwide but just 14,000 prison officials. Of those officials, only 1,300 are guards, Narat said.

As a result, the government has approved 3,000 posts for prison guards and the Corrections Department has trained three new classes of prison guard.

The Corrections chief said the current prisons are crowded so the government has allocated money in the department’s budget to build two or three more prisons a year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334107

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-16

Maybe they should reconsider why they have so many prisoners.  From what I've read in the past, 70% of the Thai prison population are incarcerated due to drug related offense. Decriminalize offenses by end-users and instead sent them to drug counseling  and perhaps the prison population falls to half. 

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said there are about 320,000 inmates nationwide but just 14,000 prison officials. Of those officials, only 1,300 are guards, Narat said.

If there are only 1,300 guards for 320,000 prisoners then there are 246 prisoners per guard...

That means some 738,000 red shirts soon to be wearing tan.

_89736514_0d117a1c-0215-4a3a-98f2-d267d4b28d76.jpg.3d3a5d23b39dad1c72ea24ef45bc7b8e.jpg

Edited by Basil B

6 hours ago, connda said:

Maybe they should reconsider why they have so many prisoners.  From what I've read in the past, 70% of the Thai prison population are incarcerated due to drug related offense. Decriminalize offenses by end-users and instead sent them to drug counseling  and perhaps the prison population falls to half. 

Great post thank you. I would like to add that often the sentence does not fit the crime, (throw away the key) and I have also heard that there may be many who are innocent living in these holes.

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Military junta approves 3000 more prison guards. I think that rather says it all.

Its actually a good initiative to have more guards that is how it works in other countries. Though I would love it if they did something about punishing drug users, its a foolish thing to do and it would really cut population of prisons down. 

Only use is not a problem (use when driving a car or other vehicle certainly is) or use and violence are certain things that need to be punished but just having used something is stupid not many countries put people in jail for that. 

On 16/12/2017 at 5:52 PM, rooster59 said:

14,000 prison officials. Of those officials, only 1,300 are guards, Narat said.

There must be wardens, drivers, cleaners, cooks and bottle washers but less than 10% are guards. what are the others doing, any suggestions?

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

There must be wardens, drivers, cleaners, cooks and bottle washers but less than 10% are guards. what are the others doing, any suggestions?

Cleaners cooks and bottle washers are usually prisoners too.

Sounds like a few cushy non-jobs might exist in the system. 

12 hours ago, connda said:

Agreed. But start by releasing everyone who is incarcerated for defamation or LM.

UK has similar population size to Thailand but under 90,000 people in prison. Nobody is inside for saying nasty things about the police, army, politicians - or even HM the Queen (God bless her).

14 hours ago, connda said:

Why not suggest that they decriminalise , for example, illegal gun makers and modifiers as well?