Best approach to long stay visa in Thailand

12 minutes ago, DavidB1960 said:
On 12/27/2017 at 2:56 AM, BritTim said:

(Repeating only what has been reported on this board)

I regret to tell you that non accepting unseasoned funds for the conversion is not the only unofficial rule Jomtien use to try to push you towards their premium service. They are also reported not to accept income affidavits.

Okay, from what you know, will Jomtien accept/process my TR to Non-O application if my bank funds ARE seasoned?

My understanding is that they are trying to push you towards using agents (or their premium service). However, with seasoned funds, and perhaps a few other items they try to use to put roadblocks in your way, it is possible to get a conversion done in Jomtien. They rely on just pushing most towards paying them off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

My understanding is that they are trying to push you towards using agents (or their premium service). However, with seasoned funds, and perhaps a few other items they try to use to put roadblocks in your way, it is possible to get a conversion done in Jomtien. They rely on just pushing most towards paying them off.

Care to elaborate on what the few other items might be?

10 minutes ago, DavidB1960 said:

Okay, from what you know, will Jomtien accept/process my TR to Non-O application if my bank funds ARE seasoned?

That's a start.  Do you own your own condo?  If you are a renter, they are reported to hold you up on condo-owner docs.

Below is a thread of someone else who tried doing this, and the various run-arounds they gave him (including the condo-owner-doc scam, also used by the family-desk at Jomtien).  I keep re-posting this link, as it covers most of their known underhanded-tactics - so maybe can help others to avoid them:

The only new change I have seen, since this occurred, is that they removed the income-doc completely as an option for conversions in that office - even if the doc is MFA certified.  But that will not affect you if using seasoned money in-the-bank.

2 minutes ago, DavidB1960 said:

Care to elaborate on what the few other items might be?

I would be guessing. One item they might want (especially if it is impossible for you to get) is the owner's certified proof of ownership of the condo/house you are renting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

That's a start.  Do you own your own condo?  If you are a renter, they are reported to hold you up on condo-owner docs.

Below is a thread of someone else who tried doing this, and the various run-arounds they gave him (including the condo-owner-doc scam, also used by the family-desk at Jomtien).  I keep re-posting this link, as it covers most of their known underhanded-tactics - so maybe can help others to avoid them:

The only new change I have seen, since this occurred, is that they removed the income-doc completely as an option for conversions in that office - even if the doc is MFA certified.  But that will not affect you if using seasoned money in-the-bank.

Jack, thanks for that!

and the detailed Non-O doc requirement list for Penang was most helpful.

WOW, DEJAVU ALL OVER AGAIN!

Glad to see, that with dogged perseverance he did get it done.

Call me hard headed, but i absolutely refuse to give in and pay these bs secret fees. I prefer the small token of satisfaction knowing that what i eventually spend is damn sure not going to some rogue so called "officer".

At this point, Ill be heading to either Ventianie or Penang shortly. Leaning toward Penang.

And a heart felt thank you to all that have contributed feedback to my situation!

1 hour ago, DavidB1960 said:

Jack, thanks for that!

and the detailed Non-O doc requirement list for Penang was most helpful.

WOW, DEJAVU ALL OVER AGAIN!

Glad to see, that with dogged perseverance he did get it done.

Call me hard headed, but i absolutely refuse to give in and pay these bs secret fees. I prefer the small token of satisfaction knowing that what i eventually spend is damn sure not going to some rogue so called "officer".

At this point, Ill be heading to either Ventianie or Penang shortly. Leaning toward Penang.

And a heart felt thank you to all that have contributed feedback to my situation!

I would use Savanakhet or Penang, since Vientiane wants a police-check and medical, now. 

But for either of those two locations, when applying for a single-entry Non-O based on retirement, you still need an income-doc from your embassy PLUS money-in-the-bank proof - even if only using one method or the other to reach the required threshold.

I think the supposed reasoning was that those using the income-method only (65K/mo) still need to show the bank-account info, to combat "money laundering" - and those using the money-in-the-bank (800K) still need the embassy income-letter, to show "proof of retirement."  So, when applying for this at those locations, you essentially need the docs to support the "combination method" (income + savings) even when one or the other, by itself, reaches the required threshold. 

Someone please jump in and correct me if I am wrong on that - or if Penang has started asking for Police-check and Medical docs (like Vientiane).