Pattaya gives Thailand’s name another beating

webfact

17 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Tourism is the country's biggest income earner? Sorry, wrong.

The industrial and service sectors are the main sectors in the Thai gross domestic product, with the former accounting for 39.2 percent of GDP. Thailand's agricultural sector produces 8.4 percent of GDP—lower than the trade and logistics and communication sectors, which account for 13.4 percent and 9.8 percent of GDP respectively. The construction and mining sector adds 4.3 percent to the country's gross domestic product. Other service sectors (including the financial, education, and hotel and restaurant sectors) account for 24.9 percent of the country's GDP

Nowhere near the biggest contributor.

Ah, but long term tourists ( expats ) that contribute an insignificant amount of money to Thailand's economy want to believe that they are a vital part of Thailand's economy, hence all the posts about how LOS will collapse if they depart LOS for another country.

Truth is every expat could leave tomorrow, and the only people that would care are the significant others and their families. Thailand as a whole would probably not even notice.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

That´s almost all correct, and why more and more people, exept the chinese, are going to other places in Thailand. Myself, I wouldn´t set down my fot in Pattaya. It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything. Just a big black colored mess on the picture of Thailand.

I guess you never actually stayed in Pattaya before, as you seem to get your opinion from British garbage red top newspaper articles, which always trash Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular.

The great thing about Pattaya is that no one with your opinion need ever set foot there, and such despisers certainly won't be missed. 

4 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

still wouldn't want the old dogs if there was no bar fine.

True, true, true.

Last time I stayed there I had to check my old photos to be sure that good looking BGs actually used to work there.

Perhaps the attractive ones are all on the internet now, but it's sad to see what is on offer now, and remember what it used to be like.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I went in a gogo, which is the place for the best eye candy and saw not one, but several actually obese dancers. :shock1:

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya’s evolution continues. It has had great success in tidying its beaches, and the monopolies on the rental of beach huts and chairs have been largely expunged.

Hmmmmm???  Is there any proof of this anywhere?  Perhaps the author of this column has not seen the "pristine"  Pattaya beaches the day after a storm when all of the streets are flushed into the Gulf of Thailand!  

What......no mention of the BIB, the boiler rooms, condo developers. This article gives credit

where no credit is due and fails to mention some of its most egregious offenders.  

Edited by Ulic

My sister-in-law's Dutch boyfriend recently complained that the water in their hotel room in Jomtien wasn't working and ended up with a broken shoulder, cuts on his face and several other injuries that required surgery. He's a pensioner, not a young stud making trouble after downing too many in the bar.

Land of smiles my arse. A Google search will show it's one of the most violent places on Earth outside of war zones.

16 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Googled and nothing came up. 

Any links?

Try Violence in Thailand as a start. Then there's Violence Thailand. Domestic violence. Gun violence. I'll let you do your own research if you're interested.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My sister-in-law's Dutch boyfriend recently complained that the water in their hotel room in Jomtien wasn't working and ended up with a broken shoulder, cuts on his face and several other injuries that required surgery

how come, did he jump out of the window to get down to the reception desk more quickly?

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

That´s almost all correct, and why more and more people, exept the chinese, are going to other places in Thailand. Myself, I wouldn´t set down my fot in Pattaya. It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything. Just a big black colored mess on the picture of Thailand.

Get real.

"Bar brawls are not uncommon anywhere alcohol is served, but when the beating is inflicted by a songthaew driver whose livelihood depends on foreign tourists, one has to ask what is really going on. Of course there are always visitors who behave rudely, offending local people. We often see a lack of sensitivity towards Thai culture and mores. Violence is hardly the appropriate response, however." (my italics).

Well that (in my italics) is a given BUT it seems, all too often, "a Thai cultural response" does not recognise that! Therein lays a large part of the problem :sad:

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correction

1 hour ago, thurien said:

whenever I am in Pattsy it does not seem a nightmare but light at the end of a dark tunnel  :partytime2:

Never ever change the text when you quote one of my comments again. You leave everything inside left like it is. I hope you understand that.

This was what I wrote: "It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything"

Remember that.

Edited by Get Real

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Land of smiles my arse. A Google search will show it's one of the most violent places on Earth outside of war zones.

Do you actually live here?  I've lived here in Isaan and traveled throughout most of the kingdom, pretty much full-time, since 2005 (much longer in total) and, other than on the highways, my experiences are that Thailand is still one of the safest places on Earth.  During the past 12 years I have explored many remote rural areas on walkabouts, jogging, or by bicycle (in many cases solo) and have found the majority of Thais to be as friendly as advertised.  This is even largely true of Bangkok, Pattaya, and other tourist areas, but I will admit being courteous—and on your toes—will usually prevent unpleasant situations.  Simply smiling, being friendly, and showing respect works wonders and pays huge dividends.  Now then, if you're an unfriendly rude a**hole you'll certainly get what you deserve no matter which country you live in, or visit, even here in Thailand.

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess you never actually stayed in Pattaya before, as you seem to get your opinion from British garbage red top newspaper articles, which always trash Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular.

The great thing about Pattaya is that no one with your opinion need ever set foot there, and such despisers certainly won't be missed. 

I have been staying in Pattaya about 1,5 year of my total time in Thailand. I didn´t like it then, and I don´t like it now. For your information. The only newspapers in enlish I have been reading in 12 years time is Bangkok Post and The Nation. Otherwise you are certainly right, but that wasn´t regarding much of your comment, right?

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Maybe, but it's one of Thailand Tourism's shining stars, even if painted red.   Or maybe the golden goose metaphor would be more appropriate, because they can be strangled.

Unfortunately, there is to many that like the booze and sex industry. That´s what the city is buildt on. Very sad, indeed!

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently you haven't, whatever your 'fot' is!

Pattaya has it's problems, but remember the only good news is bad news.

It is hardly a nightmare of crime,  etc etc.  That is a crock!

I just have one thing to say, and out of your response I take a wild guess and say that you are one of the people residing in Pattaya.
That is: Eyes wide shut, doesn´t even see the dark!

And, yes! I have both been there and tried to stay for all up to 1,5 years before I couldn´t take it no more. My foot is in Isaaan. I guess you can take all Isaan area and compare it to Pattaya. The result you find would still be more crimes and criminals in Pattaya alone, and more prostitution and power drinkers with a child stage mentallity in Pattaya alone. That says a lot to me.

Edited by Get Real

I have just got back from spending a week there. Seeing the boat crews sitting on the beach smoking and then stubbing their butts into the sand with no a care in the world, then on a walk along 2nd road seeing thais camping and doing their daily business in a vacant piece of land very close to an one of a number of up market hotels, the footpaths are an absolute disgrace let alone the other things that I saw down there. I certainly am not in any hurry to go there again.

37 minutes ago, Get Real said:

That comment was really unique and original. Did it take you long time to come up with that? Maybe now you have something more on topic to come with?

If you've read any of my posts you'll know that I often write quite long ones.  With your post, a 2 word response seemed more than enough.  I might have added that you should do lunch with that other poster from a few days ago who said he would never visit Pattaya in a million years.  You two can regale each other with everything you think you know about Pattaya, a city apparently you both have never visited but seem to be, nevertheless, fascinated by.   

54 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Unfortunately, there is to many that like the booze and sex industry. That´s what the city is buildt on. Very sad, indeed!

You're going to wear yourself out with your moralizing.  Pattaya was there, doing what it does, long before the self-righteous do-gooders came along or even took any notice.  If you want pure & wholesome and want to preach, join a church, and live & let live.   But as for Pattaya, nobody says you have to so much as set one foot in the place.

24 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

You're going to wear yourself out with your moralizing.  Pattaya was there, doing what it does, long before the self-righteous do-gooders came along or even took any notice.  If you want pure & wholesome and want to preach, join a church, and live & let live.   But as for Pattaya, nobody says you have to so much as set one foot in the place.

Yes, you are perfectly right. 12-15 years ago, though, Pattaya was a fairly nice place with quite real smiles and not same much crime and negative things as of today. That is probably why I am, and more people with me, more negative in my judgement of the city today. Not have anything to do with preaching, want pure & wholesome, join a church or being a self righteous do-gooder. It´s just an opinion that the city during the years that have gone by, has created for it self.

56 minutes ago, newnative said:

If you've read any of my posts you'll know that I often write quite long ones.  With your post, a 2 word response seemed more than enough.  I might have added that you should do lunch with that other poster from a few days ago who said he would never visit Pattaya in a million years.  You two can regale each other with everything you think you know about Pattaya, a city apparently you both have never visited but seem to be, nevertheless, fascinated by.   

As I comment before in other post, I´ve been living in Pattaya for 1,5 years of my 17 years in Thailand. I have the experience to make my judgement.
As for lunching with somebody else related to talking and agree on the matter, that is out of the question. I am a big boy. I can stand for my own opinion. Absolutely no need for an army of followers. 
As for fascination, that is as far as from Pattaya you can come in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Do you actually live here?  I've lived here in Isaan and traveled throughout most of the kingdom, pretty much full-time, since 2005 (much longer in total) and, other than on the highways, my experiences are that Thailand is still one of the safest places on Earth.  During the past 12 years I have explored many remote rural areas on walkabouts, jogging, or by bicycle (in many cases solo) and have found the majority of Thais to be as friendly as advertised.  This is even largely true of Bangkok, Pattaya, and other tourist areas, but I will admit being courteous—and on your toes—will usually prevent unpleasant situations.  Simply smiling, being friendly, and showing respect works wonders and pays huge dividends.  Now then, if you're an unfriendly rude a**hole you'll certainly get what you deserve no matter which country you live in, or visit, even here in Thailand.

I've lived here for 25+ years, in Bangkok and Issan. Do you read the news? Every single day there are stories of extreme violence, Thai on Thai or Thai on foreigner. Today is no exception

In my own village a kid was caught stealing fruit off a tree. Now, where I come from that would have meant a visit to the kid's father. Here, the land owner killed the kid. The kid's father then went and shot dead the person who killed his son and severely injured his wife, who died later. Did the police do anything? No. The second killer went away for a while and it was too much trouble to chase him down, and now he's back living in the village free as a bird.