Jomtien Retirement ext Friday 22 December

Suradit69

Went to Jomtien Immigrations office around 11:00 in the morning for my retirement extension. Place was half-empty. Got my queue ticket and that number was called immediately.

Lady took less than a couple of minutes to look through documents. No mention of TM.30 or TM.28.

I brought a copy of my condo deed and this month's utility bill. Both returned to me. So no proof of address required.

Paid the Baht 1900 and got the laminated card. Told to pick up passport Monday morning.

All done in 5 minutes or less.   You have to love Jomtien Immigrations.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is the "laminated card" for? We don't get such in Chiang Mai, and we get our passport back same day.

They give you a small numbered laminated card that you hand over when you return to collect your passport.

At one time several years ago Jomtien returned the passport immediately or later the same day, but for the past few years you had to collect it the next business day.

14 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

They give you a small numbered laminated card that you hand over when you return to collect your passport.

At one time several years ago Jomtien returned the passport immediately or later the same day, but for the past few years you had to collect it the next business day.

Thanks for explanation. I'm glad that doesn't happen at Chiang Mai as it costs me 200 baht to get to and from the immigration department. Not much to some, I know, but I'd rather spend it on something I want.

Up here they do insist on proof of residence, and TM30.

A bit busy on Tuesday, 19th.

Arrived at 10.30 am and had to return at 1pm for a ticket but still a pleasant experience.

The lady who checks your documents is so,so pleasant.

When you return to collect your passport they now take your photo. Don't remember that from last year.

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the past they've kept my proof of address. She did look at it all closely, so maybe she was satisfied that the address I used on the application was valid but didn't want to keep the paperwork.

I never ask questions or try to engineer the process. In the past I also have brought back-up documentation for the income I claim on the embassy affidavit. Sometimes it was kept and sometimes they handed it back. I've never had a problem, so whatever makes them  happy is OK with me.

1 hour ago, ferguston said:

Arrived at 10.30 am and had to return at 1pm for a ticket but still a pleasant experience.

When you return to collect your passport they now take your photo. Don't remember that from last year.

They took my photo last August during my extension renewal. Had to go back the next day to pick up the passport and shiny new extension. The young (non-Thai, I think) fellow with glasses did the doc check. He was the one who gave me the numbered pickup card for the next day. The ImmOfficer never did a thing. Anyway, smooth as silk. 

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Recently had to replace my Permanent Resident book, at CW, because it was full.

To prepare new book is about 5 minutes work or less for the imm. officer (copy small amount of basic info. from old book to new book and paste new photo in new book). I know this is true because it's the third time I've replaced the book, for the two previous books it was done on the spot in a few minutes while I sat at the officers desk.

At CW this time had to submit (1 minute) and told 'come back 4 working days later'. I asked if it could be a little earlier so I wouldn't have to take a hotel room in Bkk for 4 nights.

Response - an indignant 'NO' and return to chat with the officer at the next desk. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Recently had to replace my Permanent Resident book, at CW, because it was full.

To prepare new book is about 5 minutes work or less for the imm. officer (copy small amount of basic info. from old book to new book and paste new photo in new book). I know this is true because it's the third time I've replaced the book, for the two previous books it was done on the spot in a few minutes while I sat at the officers desk.

At CW this time had to submit (1 minute) and told 'come back 4 working days later'. I asked if it could be a little earlier so I wouldn't have to take a hotel room in Bkk for 4 nights.

Response - an indignant 'NO' and return to chat with the officer at the next desk. 

Unless you went on a Monday and there were no public holidays or civil service holidays in the week, the 4 working days is more likely to be 6 nights in a hotel. May as well go home pretty much wherever you are in Thailand.

3 hours ago, ferguston said:

That's because she's the hottest one in the place, braces and all. ?

Condo deed, utility bill??? Why do you bother them with all this stuff that isn't required for the extension. Give them what is required and nothing else unless they ask. At best, this extra documentation won't help and it could make things worse. Never volunteer extra information when dealing with a bureaucracy.

Its probably quiet because its the Friday before Christmas so not many farangs are going to immigration. That's why I'm going Monday, Christmas.. 

22 minutes ago, glasswort said:

Why would a TM30 be mentioned unless of course you have left and re-entered since your last 90 day report?

I don't know why he did it, but I see so many posts where people volunteer all kinds of extra  information that isn't required when getting extensions. I think it a bad idea, but it seems to make some people feel more secure. 

2 hours ago, Dan5 said:

Condo deed, utility bill??? Why do you bother them with all this stuff that isn't required for the extension. Give them what is required and nothing else unless they ask. At best, this extra documentation won't help and it could make things worse.

This was my 11th renewal and I've never had the slightest problem. 

Proof of address is one of the requirements and this is the first time they didn't seem to want it.

Not sure what you mean by "make things worse." As I say, all 11 renewals have gone through in minutes, the only delay that I've encountered was because there were people ahead of me in the queue, nothing to do with the time spent with the officer.

Thanks for your expert advice.

2 hours ago, Dan5 said:

Condo deed, utility bill??? Why do you bother them with all this stuff that isn't required for the extension

Partial extract from Immigration Police Order:

Extension of Stay based on Retirement

Thai Immigration Police Order 327-2557. Section 2.22 – Retirement.

For the very first application of an extension of stay, you must hold a Non Immigrant type Visa.

The financial requirement of 800,000 baht funds must by proved by either;

a). Cash deposited in a Savings or Fixed Deposit account in a Thai bank, OR

b). Having an income of 65,000 baht per month, OR

c). A combination of funds in a Thai bank and a monthly income totalling 800,000 baht per annum.

i.e. 400,000 in a Thai bank account and and 35,000 baht a month income

If using the funds method your money must be held in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months

prior to the first application date, and for 3 months prior to further applications.

If using the income method, Immigration require a letter from your Embassy as proof of income.

Documents for Extension of stay Permit.

1. Completed Form TM7.(Must be printed on both sides of 1 sheet).

2. Passport + Copies of;

- Homepage

- Last Visa.

- Last Extension permit

- Last entry stamp

3. Proof of Address.

Condo owners;

- Blue Tabien Baan. (foreigners name will not appear in the book) + Copy.

- Title Deeds (Chanute) + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy.

Rented;

- Copy of House owners Tabien Baan and ID card.

- Rental agreement + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy

Private None Rented;

- Copy of House owners Tabien Baan and ID card.

- Yellow Tabien + Copy(if you possess one).

t

From Pattaya Expat Club:

Requirements for a 1 year extension to an original ‘O’ visa at an Immigration Office in Thailand:

Completed application form TM7
Passport + Copies of passport or substitute document.
(Passport must have validity in excess of 12 months)

Proof of address of accommodation.
(form TM30 + Utility Bill, or Bank statement in your name – showing your address in Thailand, or Rental Agreement + Owners ID, or Ownership Papers)

Two 4 x 6 cm photos (just one in Pattaya / Jomtien).
1900 baht fee.
Proof of financial status or regular income (such as a pension).
[Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand, and confirming your overseas income if appropriate.] For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of at least 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for the previous 3 months (2 months only for the 1st extension) by obtaining a bank letter, OR an income equal to not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented (a combination of the two is often permitted).
(Remember these are ‘minimum’ amounts.)

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for explanation. I'm glad that doesn't happen at Chiang Mai as it costs me 200 baht to get to and from the immigration department. Not much to some, I know, but I'd rather spend it on something I want.

You are spending it on something you want - an extension.

9 hours ago, ferguston said:

They have done that for years.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Proof of address of accommodation.
(form TM30 + Utility Bill, or Bank statement in your name – showing your address in Thailand, or Rental Agreement + Owners ID, or Ownership Papers)

They didn't ask me for a TM30 form earlier this year. I just brought my rental agreement as I always do.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

You are spending it on something you want - an extension.

The point I was making is that in Chiang Mai I would only have to go once, but in Pattaya twice. It's not the amount per se that is annoying, it's getting ripped off by the songtheaws that is, but they know there isn't a choice so they get away with it.

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

They didn't ask me for a TM30 form earlier this year. I just brought my rental agreement as I always do.

Yes, some proof of address is expected. 

I only mentioned that nothing was said to me about TM.30 because there have been some posts from people who had problems with TM.30 and at some offices proof of it has been said to be a requirement. 

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is the situation with respect to speed of service in Chiangmai?

Wasn't long ago that I was reading people were arriving at 07.00 to stand around in a queue outside the office and being there many hours.

The OP was a little fortunate he got done ahead of the lunchtime break, but Jomtiem is very efficient recently. I waited only 5 minutes too. Having to go back the next day is a bit of a drag for me also as it is about 15-17km, and traffic is slow, but years in the past you had to wait around until after lunch anyhow.

Such a relief to get this done each year.

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I only mentioned that nothing was said to me about TM.30 because there have been some posts from people who had problems with TM.30 and at some offices proof of it has been said to be a requirement. 

Yes, in Chiang Mai TM 30 is needed for extension.

It's like they don't believe the computer without a piece of paper to back it up, or perhaps they just want to build up their stock of A4 paper.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, in Chiang Mai TM 30 is needed for extension.

It's like they don't believe the computer without a piece of paper to back it up, or perhaps they just want to build up their stock of A4 paper.

The back of my official TM30 report confirmation is an old Google search printout. LOL

13 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

(Braces??) She told me I was Numbah One and handed me her cell number  -  wonder what I did with that???:whistling:

When she gets busted for corruption you may get her cell and prisoner number. 

That was a joke for the indignant members. 

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Understood. I do realise that what happened before may not necessarily happen next time. Due to a clause in my rental agreement, if I'm fined for no TM30, it will come out of the rent LOL. 

5 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Which brings up an interesting question. Has an immigration officer ever been "busted for corruption"? I doubt it.

What I do know is that corruption is alive and well amongst "officials" in all areas of "business" in Pattaya. What we hoped for with the new military government never happened.

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Oh hell, she just wants my body, or to spend a weekend with me............:tongue:

Archived