New Years Eve for people in mid 60s?

mat999

Do you have any recommendations for where to spend New Years Eve for people in their mid 60s? I mention their age as they won't want to go to a nightclub with a DJ playing house/techno music. I am not really interested in the paid buffet dinners with a band. Would much rather visit a temple, then go for a normal meal, then have a relaxing drink (pretty lively is fine) somewhere where we can see the fireworks. They love Salsa and Tango dancing but I don't think there is any of that on except Tuesdays.

Really it is for the part between a meal and midnight. I am unsure what the vibe is on Maya rooftop or if there is anything decent along the river? or elsewhere?

Thanks.

You assume all people in their early to mid 60s are past having any active fun and only up for visiting a few temples, having a quiet meal/drink and then peacefully retiring to bed afterwards.

I am in my early 60s, still love to party, love a fun environment where there are pretty girls to ogle at, down a few beers and gin & tonics, lots of laughs in good company, lively people that have some sense of humour and maybe a bit of good heavy metal music or entertainment on stage. Last year went into town on New Years Eve and it was crap, everything shut dead on the strike of midnight, with loads of pack packers wondering about not knowing where to go next.

For what you desire there are many such places in Chiang Mai for the old at heart. Here is one I can recommend:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d3149180-Reviews-Lapin_Cafe-Chiang_Mai.html

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I am in my early 60s, still love to party, love a fun environment where there are pretty girls to ogle at, down a few beers and gin & tonics, lots of laughs in good company, lively people that have some sense of humour and maybe a bit of good heavy metal music or entertainment on stage. Last year went into town on New Years Eve and it was crap, everything shut dead on the strike of midnight, with loads of pack packers wondering about not knowing where to go next.

Although they are looking for somewhere to go, rather than asking you what kind of person you are

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Royal Flora Ratchaphruek has a New Years Eve fireworks display

Thank you. I was going to take them there in the day. Someone has kindly messaged me a bar where there will be a Brazilian musician who is likely to play their kind of thing (Annies near Zoe in Yellow), so that is a good central location to see fireworks and maybe a bit of bar hopping in the direction away from Zoe :partytime2:

I will look into your option but they are always desperate for some latin music on holiday, so Annies will probably win.

Actually, that bar may not be open late. Are there fireworks in the Old City? I know they have them at Maya and I would assume a couple of hotels east of the old city? Would be nice to have a good vantage point for half an hour around midnight with a drink or two.

I know the OP specifically said he didn't want a buffet dinner with a band, but River Market restaurant is having a fabulous buffet with several bands -- not techno/DJ, but rather good bands playing the sort of dance music that mid-60s will like.  There will be fireworks, too.  This event is popular with the older expat crowd.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, mat999 said:

Actually, that bar may not be open late. Are there fireworks in the Old City? I know they have them at Maya and I would assume a couple of hotels east of the old city? Would be nice to have a good vantage point for half an hour around midnight with a drink or two.

Annies is a Hostel with a bar .

45 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Nancy, can you tell us the particulars about the NYEve buffet at RivMrkt?  I don't do facecrap so cannot get any info.  Esp, the cost and time.

Below is the poster from the River Market Facebook and here is the text, which indicates a substantially better food offering than just a "Thai buffet".  For me, one big advantage of these special events at River Market, like Loy Krathong and NYE is that the number of people admitted is limited, so you don't contend with crowds and security is tight, so you can enjoy their fireworks and food without feeling like everyone is pushing you around.  Also, they've done a good job of finding bands to play good dance music.

This year The River Market is hosting an all inclusive event. We will do a buffet and open bar. Wine and champagne are available and included in the price. The buffet will feature all premium food items, Thai Style along with a few western touches. The menu will include sushi, fresh imported oysters, shrimp, king crab, prime beef and many other dishes. We will have entertainment and dancing, fireworks and we will also offer our guests lanterns. We will have extra security that evening and it will be a ticket only closed event.
The regular price will be 3,200 Baht per person for Adult and 1,600 Baht for Children. The door will open 7.00 PM. and Buffet Start 7.30 PM. We will close at 1.00 AM. Each table will only be reserved once so you are free to arrive at any time you wish. All tables will be on the lawn or the rail of the restaurant.
Book though 
The River Market 053-234-493 
Any of The Duke's branched 053-249-231 
Ragu 053-142-665
Or email us at [email protected]

River Market NYE 2018.jpg

56 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

US$100 for one meal is outside my comfort zone, but thanks for the news.

It's not just "$100 for one meal", but rather for an entire entertainment experience.  Fireworks commissioned and paid by River Market, complimentary, wine, beer, sparkling wine and cocktails, several bands, premium food that you don't normally find on buffets, complimentary kom loys (floating lanterns) you can launch for good luck in the year ahead all with good security and safety.  

The first year we were here, Hubby and I went to Thapae Gate at New Years to watch the fireworks.  Oh, they were nice enough, but the debris from the fireworks rained down on us, we were pressed together with everyone in the crowd, worried about pickpockets, all the restaurants, bars and coffee shops were packed before midnight, so we couldn't get anything to eat and then they started to close soon after midnight.  And we had to pay a steep price for a tuk-tuk home, so we ended up walking home until we found some street food stalls still serving food.  Sure, it was a cheap night, but not a "premium entertainment experience".  

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

It's not just "$100 for one meal", but rather for an entire entertainment experience.  Fireworks commissioned and paid by River Market, complimentary, wine, beer, sparkling wine and cocktails, several bands, premium food that you don't normally find on buffets, complimentary kom loys (floating lanterns) you can launch for good luck in the year ahead all with good security and safety.  

The first year we were here, Hubby and I went to Thapae Gate at New Years to watch the fireworks.  Oh, they were nice enough, but the debris from the fireworks rained down on us, we were pressed together with everyone in the crowd, worried about pickpockets, all the restaurants, bars and coffee shops were packed before midnight, so we couldn't get anything to eat and then they started to close soon after midnight.  And we had to pay a steep price for a tuk-tuk home, so we ended up walking home until we found some street food stalls still serving food.  Sure, it was a cheap night, but not a "premium entertainment experience".  

Nancy, I have read many of your objective, dignified posts with much appreciation ,when  you leave us I will miss you

A massive entertainment experience?  Plus loads of 'premium' fatty foods and unlimited alcohol all directed at, mostly, old expats?  And, to top off the night, super colorful floating paper lanterns which will invoke the local gods to grant me good health for 2018? 

Hmm.  For US$100.  Let me think on this.

Just been to Saturday night market and we mistakenly ordered something near the start, so had to walk back. The crowds were too thick, it was horrible. We have cancelled going up the mountain tomorrow as I assume half the people will be doing that in the day. Might do the one near Hang Dong and the royal gardens there too instead, or just have a walk around the old city in the day.

Will still try Annies for the music tomorrow night, but it sounds like the whole area will be the same elbow to elbow crowds. Wish there was a simple rooftop bar, or ground floor with a view. We tried Nimman Hill (Maya rooftop) last night and it was horrific - 6 or so bars all blasting out music so it was a terrible loud noise of them all combined. We might just stay in and play cards then go to the roof for midnight. I am getting too old for shuffling around crowds.

Thanks for the Riverside option, it sounds nice but not for my wallet this year. Have a good one all :partytime2:

Edited by mat999

It's not "Riverside" but rather "River Market restaurant" (at the Iron Bridge) and yes, one of the big appeals of the place (and reason why you're playing $100 for entry) is that there will not be big crowds there.

Just saw the photos on Facebook of the traffic going to Doi Inthanon.  No way would I want to be in that traffic jam.  Why do all the Bangkok people have to drive here when the flights are so cheap?

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's not "Riverside" but rather "River Market restaurant" (at the Iron Bridge) and yes, one of the big appeals of the place (and reason why you're playing $100 for entry) is that there will not be big crowds there.

Just saw the photos on Facebook of the traffic going to Doi Inthanon.  No way would I want to be in that traffic jam.  Why do all the Bangkok people have to drive here when the flights are so cheap?

Can you get flights to Doi Intanon?

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Nowhere in Chang mai I fear. Here in Pattaya I will just have to accept techno and banging house but bang 4 chicks. I'm 64

I suppose that if we were all drunk in a Pattaya bar , everyone would laugh and congratulate you on your excellent sense of humour and sharp wit .

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Can you get flights to Doi Intanon?

10 hours ago, NancyL said
"Just saw the photos on Facebook of the traffic going to Doi Inthanon.  No way would I want to be in that traffic jam.  Why do all the Bangkok people have to drive here when the flights are so cheap?"

She is just saying she wonders why all the Bangkok people choose to drive here when, as she says flights are so cheap., that is what she wrote.  It is really stretching your immagination to suggest  that she meant 'flights to Doi Inthanon..  She specifically made two statements, one about Doi Inthanon and one about Bangkokians driving here instead of flying, hence all the extra traffic going to Doi Inthanon .She has been around the block and almost certainly knows what she is saying.:tongue:

PS  She even knows the correct spelling of Inthanon, unlike you. 

Edited by happyas

39 minutes ago, happyas said:
  10 hours ago, NancyL said
"Just saw the photos on Facebook of the traffic going to Doi Inthanon.  No way would I want to be in that traffic jam.  Why do all the Bangkok people have to drive here when the flights are so cheap?"

She is just saying she wonders why all the Bangkok people choose to drive here when, as she says flights are so cheap., that is what she wrote.  It is really stretching your immagination to suggest  that she meant 'flights to Doi Inthanon..  She specifically made two statements, one about Doi Inthanon and one about Bangkokians driving here instead of flying, hence all the extra traffic going to Doi Inthanon .She has been around the block and almost certainly knows what she is saying.:tongue:

PS  She even knows the correct spelling of Inthanon, unlike you. 

It is amazing that anyone would take my comment about flights to Doi Intanon to be anything approaching serious.  You do take the cake.

Sorry I missed her statement about Doi Intanon.

10 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

It is amazing that anyone would take my comment about flights to Doi Intanon to be anything approaching serious.  You do take the cake.

Sorry I missed her statement about Doi Intanon.

Of course i got your attempt at humour in reply to Nancy.

No mate..its more amazing that you couldn't even get that my reply was using mostly your own words in a reply to me an another thread..duh!

You know, a play on your own words...Yes?

Google sense of humour sometime..you sure do lack any resemblance of one.