retirement visa thailand

i am finally almost 50 and can apply for retirement visa, i live in cambodia for the time being.

but when i look at various sites, i only see the 5 year retirement visa on official thai governments sites,
while business sites like siam list 1 year retirement visa when i can combine pension + thai bank account = 800k

so which one is it ? and will i get a 1 year straight in pnom phen ?

What you're thinking about I think, is actually a one year extension of stay based on being retired.

800,000 in the bank or 65,000 a month income or combination of income and savings equal to 800,000 per year.

The usual way is to get a 3 month non 0 visa outside Thailand and then convert to a 1 year extension of stay.

Conditions on time the 800,000 has to be in the bank can be different where you apply. Some offices 2 months some 3 months.

Officially for first time it's two months but people have reported some offices require 3 months.

It means you have  to do 90 reports to Imm' wherever you are.

You don't need a lawyer, waste of money.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon on retirement at immigration here. 

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

To apply for the extension you will need a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. It is possible to apply for it at immigration if you can meet the financial requirements (the money does not need to be in the bank for 60 days to apply).

thanks for reply everyone,

and i got a question: many years ago i applied for marriage visa,

but the immigration officer kept demanding more and more proof that i had transferred money from homeland to thailand, and so time ran out, and i had to abandon the attempt.

what do i do if the immigration officer resort to stalling me so i cant get extension in a timely manner ?

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think that will happen when you apply for the extension based upon retirement.

but it did happen when i applied for extension of marriage visa, which i got from laos, but in pattaya the officer didnt feel like extending, and i got too much pain for any more visa runs

Edited by poanoi

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

but it did happen when i applied for extension of marriage visa, which i got from laos, but in pattaya the officer didnt feel like extending, and i got too much pain for any more visa runs

Some offices make it difficult to get extension based upon marriage.

I think you find it much easier now. You can apply up to 30 days early for the extension.

41 minutes ago, poanoi said:

Those on retirement in Pattaya report much better treatment than those on Marriage, so if you have a Non-O entry now, that is worth a try.  Though they accept agent applications, they haven't blocked those who meet the official qualifications from applying directly (yet).  Most report fast, and polite service.

The "conversion" desk at Pattaya is nearly impossible - been there and done that - to spite every "i" dotted and "t" crossed it was a waste of time - so had to go out to a Consulate for my first Non-O. 

I can also relate to your troubles with the "family" desk (for marriage-extensions) - not as bad as conversions, unless you rent, at which point completely erroneous doc-requirements unrelated to your marriage, or anything to do with actually verifying where you live, are requested. 

I think the difference between applicant-treatment for these services, is to do with the qualifications for each type of extension and volume of applicants.

With retirement, the financials are sufficiently high that many cannot afford to meet them, so those folks can only use agents (who fake the financials).  In addition, Pattaya agents handle applications from expats living all over Thailand, so there is a high-volume.  As a result, the retirement-desk can process all applications that meet the "real" rules, and still have plenty of "agent-incentives" flowing in - no "extra rules" are necessary. 

The marriage-desk, with lower financials, needs to carve-out a selection of applicants to send to agents, to meet their "agent-incentives" targets.  Renters are targeted for this, with others going unmolested.

Conversions are relatively rare, so for that gang to live well, they need to push the majority of applicants to agents.  Though the "official" requirements are difficult enough, they have invented an entirely new set of rules out of whole-cloth, to meet their "agent-incentive" targets.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, poanoi said:

but the immigration officer kept demanding more and more proof that i had transferred money from homeland to thailand, and so time ran out, and i had to abandon the attempt.

what do i do if the immigration officer resort to stalling me so i cant get extension in a timely manner ?

A Extension based on Mrriage requires more proof and time to get, as some investigation work needs to be preformed and I believe the permission is granted from Bangkok, and not the local Immigration Office.

For a Retirement Visa all that is required is your Passport (Proof of age) and a letter from your bank stated you have the required funds in the Bank Account for the required time (in your name only). This bank letter should be dated for the day you apply.

I know others will argue this is not needed and can be dne sooner, but I was actually sent back to the babk to do this once because the letter I had was from the day before at closing time. A Extension based on Retirement is done in one day at the local office. One based on marriage can take a few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

A Extension based on Mrriage requires more proof and time to get, as some investigation work needs to be preformed and I believe the permission is granted from Bangkok, and not the local Immigration Office.

For a Retirement Visa all that is required is your Passport (Proof of age) and a letter from your bank stated you have the required funds in the Bank Account for the required time (in your name only). This bank letter should be dated for the day you apply.

I know others will argue this is not needed and can be dne sooner, but I was actually sent back to the babk to do this once because the letter I had was from the day before at closing time. A Extension based on Retirement is done in one day at the local office. One based on marriage can take a few weeks. 

ok, but in my case, she demanded proof A,

and when i got back to IO, she proceeded to demand proof B, and so on,

until my visa was up, and none of the proofs she demanded was to be found

on the list,  she made it all up to stall my visa

• Like 2

Just confirmation required here

i am going to Vientaine  Laos in January 2018 

will apply for a tourist visa 60 days

i would like to when back in Thailand after 2 months when funds are Available to apply for a yearly retirement visa 

is this possible on a tourist visa over to a retirement  visa 

keep reading about type 0  required first ?

Do I have to do first when in Thailand before applying for the retirement 

33 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Just confirmation required here

i am going to Vientaine  Laos in January 2018 

will apply for a tourist visa 60 days

i would like to when back in Thailand after 2 months when funds are Available to apply for a yearly retirement visa 

is this possible on a tourist visa over to a retirement  visa 

keep reading about type 0  required first ?

Do I have to do first when in Thailand before applying for the retirement 

You cannot apply for a retirement visa within Thailand. The nearest visa that can be called that is a OA visa that can only applied for at an embassy or official consulate in you home country or country of legal residence.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at a immigration office. To apply for the extension you need a non immigrant visa (category O) entry. That can obtained by applying for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 over at an embassy or consulate or by applying  for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

See my post at #3.

I was here in Thailand on a tourist visa and I was sent to Laos to apply for my 90 day non-imm "O" visa. I submitted the application before noon on the day of arrival and picked up my visa after 1:00pm the following day.

What I needed was proof of income plus a Thai bank account totaling 800,000 baht, proof of address which happened to be the hotel across the road from the Thai embassy, plus the original and copies of all the other typical documents (passport, arrival/departure card, etc) then 30 days before my 90 day visa expired I applied for my first 1 year extension here in Thailand. The only problem that I had was in Laos where the young chap did not know what he was talking about and told me that I must have 800,000 in the bank and would not accept a combination of income and back account so I asked to speak to his supervisor who quickly sorted it out in the main office and came back and handed me my passport with my 90 day non-imm "O" visa so I did not need to go back the following day

On 12/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, poanoi said:

stay in Cambodia?

This whole thread sounds dodgy...maybe a case of good guys in bad guys out?

Finally turned 50....couldn't get a marriage visa quite a few years ago??

Maybe it's just me.......................

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

stay in Cambodia?

1] yes, i got too much pain for more visa runs and sitting in a school,

so i decided living in cambodia was going to be less painful, but i got that wrong,

this shithole got no quality mattresses, this god forsaken backwater got no quality at all.

2] dodgy in what way, elaborate ?

3] now you dont expect me to upload my passport just to prove a troll i'm almost 50 do you ? i'd do it if you could convince me pain will stop, but alas, i dont think you are good for anything, but maybe thats just me...

56 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Be thankful if you've been lucky and had good treatment. Experiences vary wildly by office and service within the office. 

When I first started reading here, I thought those with problems just didn't have their stuff together - until it happened to me, twice, two different services, at a point when I knew the precise rules very, very well.  Turns out, where I am, it is a case of:

"Bad guy or too poor?  No problem, just use an agent and we'll rubber-stamp it.  Thanks for your 'extra contribution' (10x actual cost minus agent-cut).

"Good guy?  Depending on which way you happen meet the qualifications (where you live, money in the bank or income, etc - depending on the service requested), maybe we'll help you, or maybe we'll deny service, to force you to an agent."

27 minutes ago, poanoi said:

1] yes, i got too much pain for more visa runs and sitting in a school,

so i decided living in cambodia was going to be less painful, but i got that wrong,

this shithole got no quality mattresses, this god forsaken backwater got no quality at all.

2] dodgy in what way, elaborate ?

3] now you dont expect me to upload my passport just to prove a troll i'm almost 50 do you ? i'd do it if you could convince me pain will stop, but alas, i dont think you are good for anything, but maybe thats just me...

I don't expect or require anything from you my friend.

But do tell me one thing....how do you fund, apparently, continuous tourist lifestyle.?

I'm sure the immigration people will be interested as well.

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

I don't expect or require anything from you my friend.

But do tell me one thing....how do you fund, apparently, continuous tourist lifestyle.?

I'm sure the immigration people will be interested as well.

i'm on medical retirement, for the last 17 years

I would like to change my current 1 year Immigration O visa when it has elapsed in early March 2018 to a Retirement visa. It is currently too much hassle to apply each year for a visa based on family/marriage. I am not married but have a child here of dual citizenship UK / Thai. 

What would I need to apply? I have the 800K in the bank since 15th Dec and visa finishes on March 9th 2018.

Am I best to go with an agent? Any informed advice welcome.

5 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

What would I need to apply? I have the 800K in the bank since 15th Dec and visa finishes on March 9th 2018.

The 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any 90 day entries from your non-o visa.

58 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

I am wondering if you can apply for a retirement extension while on a tourist visa or just before your Non-B and work permit expire. 

If on a 60 day entry you would need to apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) before you could apply for the extension based upon retirement.

If on a extension of stay based upon working  you could change the reason for your extension to retirement. You would need a termination letter from your employer to cancel your current extension and apply for one based upon retirement on the same day. If using the 800k baht option it have to be in the bank for 3 months on the date you apply.

If on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa you could apply for the extension during the last 30 days of that entry. The money would need to be in the bank for 60 days.

Joe: do you happen to know for a fact exactly how many month before i turn 50, i can apply for a 90 day non-O
intended to be converted to retirement visa ?

i totally want to err on the safe side in this matter,

i do not want to risk a visa run for no good reason,

but at the same time, i cant stand cambodia

Edited by poanoi

19 minutes ago, poanoi said:

Joe: do you happen to know for a fact exactly how many month before i turn 50, i can apply for a 90 day non-O
intended to be converted to retirement visa ?

You will not able to get the non-o visa until you are 50 years old.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not able to get the non-o visa until you are 50 years old.

sigh, i was hoping they would cut me a few weeks slack in phnom pen.

they did me a huge favor when i was 34, i wrote a letter telling them i was on medical retirement, and they gave me 1 year visa just like that