Protex shower gel ...

chrisandsu

Is this a case of typical Thai logic ..... was in Tesco where I saw  protex offering a deal of buy one get one free, well I quite like the product so went to pick a bottle up and realised they are only half full ! Since then any time I see them being sold in a store I check the bottles and every single one of them is filled half way . Am I missing something ? I know it sounds trivial but I’d rather just have one full Bottle then two half full . 

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Always buy this when on sale, and always have had full bottles. So thanks, will go and buy tomorrow.

Ok report back on your findings ! I have checked in 3 different locations / provinces in the last couple of weeks and all have been half full . 

9 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I have checked in 3 different locations / provinces in the last couple of weeks and all have been half full . 

Have you checked the printed contents? How does it compare with your previously purchased bottles that were full? You may still be getting more gel for your money with two "half full" bottles vs one full one.

But yes, misleading, the big players do it back home too.

12 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Ok report back on your findings ! I have checked in 3 different locations / provinces in the last couple of weeks and all have been half full . 

Not on special offer here at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...

Protex sells 450ml of soap in a bottle that (I guess) would hold 700ml, if full. The price is about 165 Baht.

You are probably getting 450ml, but it looks like about half a bottle (unless you measured the contents and found it to be 225ml). You are probably getting what it says on the bottle.

Of course, this is a common trick to make the customer believe they are getting better value for money.

At the moment Tops has a BOGOF offer on Protex refills at 109 Baht for 400ml - that is good value.

http://www.tops.co.th/en/promotion?promotion=IsBOGO&deptid=54

Is this a case of typical Thai logic ..... was in Tesco where I saw  protex offering a deal of buy one get one free, well I quite like the product so went to pick a bottle up and realised they are only half full ! Since then any time I see them being sold in a store I check the bottles and every single one of them is filled half way . Am I missing something ? I know it sounds trivial but I’d rather just have one full Bottle then two half full . 

If they keep skimming I’ll be forced to start using the hotel soap bars, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles my wife has been hoarding for years.
When I ask her why we save them she says we may need them when we travel. Okay but we always stay in a hotel and they give us what we need? Her answer is, do I have a problem with it? I’ve concluded they’re just souvenir memories of good times and leave it at that.

21 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

If they keep skimming I’ll be forced to start using the hotel soap bars, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles my wife has been hoarding for years.
When I ask her why we save them she says we may need them when we travel. Okay but we always stay in a hotel and they give us what we need? Her answer is, do I have a problem with it? I’ve concluded they’re just souvenir memories of good times and leave it at that.

Better to be prepared ...?

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Protex sells 450ml of soap in a bottle that (I guess) would hold 700ml, if full. The price is about 165 Baht.

You are probably getting 450ml, but it looks like about half a bottle (unless you measured the contents and found it to be 225ml). You are probably getting what it says on the bottle.

Of course, this is a common trick to make the customer believe they are getting better value for money.

At the moment Tops has a BOGOF offer on Protex refills at 109 Baht for 400ml - that is good value.

Yeah I never measure the actual contents just unscrewed the lid and every single bottle was half full . It’s got a very strong smell so maybe you have to add a little water but they are not telling you ? 

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, chickenslegs said:

Absolutely correct but it may also have something to do with the filling process. Aeons ago when I worked for a major household goods supplier it was queried why the cardboard cartons of washing soap powder were never full and could they not be made smaller to fit more on the shelf to increase DPP. The answer was that in filling there was a lot of air so to fill the required weight required a bigger volume box in which the powder then settled.

I am not sure if the OP is serious (:unsure:) but unlikely that the major manufacturers would risk deliberately filling their product with less than that claimed on the label. Just compare price and label quantities to the other products to find the best value.