Random piss tests in Chiang Mai?

NorthernRyland

Me and my girlfriend live in Mae Jo and the other day at 3PM in broad daylight she saw the police giving passing cars random piss tests on the side of the road. Does anyone know what this about? I'm not a drug user but it's kind of alarming considering how invasive this is.

From other threads on this subject: you have a right to demand the urine test is done only at the police station and that an officer, not patrolman, must take charge of the testing - no officer, no test. Also, Maejo is home to the Maejo University so it's not surprising they are testing in that area.

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Rubbish, a blood sample is only required to confirm a positive urine sample.

If a urine sample cannot or will not be given  blood test is the next option. All over the world including Thailand. Otherwise all people would claim they could not 'go'

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

If a urine sample cannot or will not be given  blood test is the next option. All over the world including Thailand. Otherwise all people would claim they could not 'go'

Again, rubbish! The same thing happens to a person the police want to get a urine sample from as happens to a patient waiting for an ultrasound of the prostate, if the bladder is not full, it gets filled up by drinking water, duh!

EDIT TO ADD: and you need to stop scaremongering!

Edited by simoh1490

6 hours ago, genericptr said:

she saw the police giving passing cars random piss tests on the side of the road

So what did she actually see.  According to your girlfriend this was not just a single test but random plural tests in full public view of not just your GF but the public!

How random was this test, just on locals, MCs, Farang or what.

I find it difficult to believe this happened in FULL  public view. 

Behind a hedge or at least hidden from "Joe public" I could maybe go with. 

It may have been some other test where money was exchanged at a low hand shake level for other alleged misdemeanours!

I remember Bubble being raided back in around 2000. I was given an old plastic container and told to fill in the toilets. A few guys were filling theirs with tap water.

Courts, intrusive, my rights bla bla - you have no rights. You either play the game, if you ever figure it out, or complain on FB and TV.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Also, Maejo is home to the Maejo University so it's not surprising they are testing in that area.

The kids drive like <deleted> but that's about all I'm aware of. I'm more worried about the Thai Yai slums in the area and all the drunks hauling stuff from Phrao and back.

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

So what did she actually see.  According to your girlfriend this was not just a single test but random plural tests in full public view of not just your GF but the public!

She said there was a check point setup and literally saw people (Thais) pissing into containers on the side of the road. She didn't think anything was wrong with random drug tests but she was surprised they would make them do it right there where people could see and in full day light none the less. I was at home but she called me up to tell me not go outside because the checkpoint is literally 10 seconds outside the gate and can't be avoided.

12 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Just out of curiosity, how do the police deal with random female motorists they decide to piss test?

18 hours ago, The manic said:

Question not worthy of answer

Are you suggesting that they have a syringe and take your blood there on the street ?

Sorry, I dont believe that

This issue was raised a few years ago and confirmed by the government. No, the police can't force women to piss on the street and they can't force you to give a blood test on the street. BUT, if a medical unit that has a military M.D. aboard is employed by the police (which is often employed at large concerts and other events and large venues), they have a lab and private toilet facility and they can conduct such. I don't know who has the authority to order this, but it can be done. I have seen this mobile medical facility/lab in Bangkok before and also here at the Festival they have each year in January by the 700 ปี Stadium. Each year at this Festival they arrest many kids and gang members high out of their minds on numerous drugs.

On 12/25/2017 at 4:56 PM, The manic said:

Not strictly true. Might apply elsewhere when testing for alcohol intoxication, e.g. if you contest a breath test, but here the primary drug of interest is Yaa Baa.  Methamphetamine and its metabolite (amphetamine) are largely excreted in urine.  Something like 40% of the drug is not absorbed and passes straight through the body so is easily detected.  Metabolites can be detected in urine for 5 days to a week or more whereas they can only be detected for a day or so after use in blood tests.  If you don't believe Me Google is your friend.

If it was easy to demand a blood test in stead of urine test every yaa baa head in town would be doing so as, depending on when the drug was last used, the risk of testing positive is much lower.

On 12/25/2017 at 5:28 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

This is really one of those things that farangs don't need to worry about, unless they take illegal drugs or were stupid enough to use weed before travelling to LOS.

...or stupid enough to travel to LOS